Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Roland

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/12 18:45:30 (permalink)
Here's another idea. If these companies don't want to spend money on drivers, for supporting an OS they never agree to support in the first place, they should do a kickstarter to see if people would pay $20 or something for them... And make some money. Lack of forward vision IMHO.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/08/12 18:53:11

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/12 18:56:15 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Here's another idea. If these companies don't want to spend money on drivers, for supporting an OS they never agree to support in the first place, they should do a kickstarter to see if people would pay $20 or something for them... And make some money. Lack of forward vision IMHO.

Even THAT process is costly to coordinate.  The best solution would be to kick it to the Open Source community.  I'm sure proprietary concerns prevent that from happening though ...

Just like the Delta drivers.  Throw the source out there and let somebody run with it I say.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/12 19:20:11 (permalink)
BobF
Doktor Avalanche

Even THAT process is costly to coordinate.  The best solution would be to kick it to the Open Source community.  I'm sure proprietary concerns prevent that from happening though ...

Just like the Delta drivers.  Throw the source out there and let somebody run with it I say.

Open source (what I said earlier) best idea but will never happen. With kickstarter you consume those costs with the price you charge your customers. If nobody is interested it doesn't happen. Setting up a kickstarter account and estimating the price of development is not rocket science, esp when there is already code available from the previous OS. In theory they could make a steal with a captive audience. All for maybe a few months paid work in total. The drivers don't need to be rewritten from scratch.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/08/12 19:30:00

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
BobF
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/12 21:54:49 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
BobF
Doktor Avalanche

Open source (what I said earlier) ...

Isn't it awesome to be agreed with?  

Bob  --
--

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/12 23:33:23 (permalink)
BobF
Isn't it awesome to be agreed with?  

It's a bloody novelty that's what it is 
Cheers :)

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/13 02:13:04 (permalink)
I've got the A500PRO working pretty well under Win 10 and I'm happy for that. Everyone seems to focused on making the hardware OS compatible, but I was thinking a bit deeper. My controller has control maps optimised for different DAW's, as I'm sure most controllers do. What I was thinking about was having Cakewalk revise and refine those controller mappings so that one day there could be a page dedicated to the Pro Channel and Quad Curve.

The software goes through continuous improvement but the controllers seem to be a snap shot in time. ie., the VS-700 was made for 8.5.3, not optimised for Sonar 2015. One day controllers will be touch screen overlays and we will be able keep them current. Can you imagine a keyboard controller that looks like a glass slab until it's turned on?

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Muziekschuur at home
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1442
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/13 08:00:17 (permalink)
Windows 8 drivers usually work on windows 10. I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I am using a Roland audio interface with a windows 8 driver. I have found no issues sofar. Just lower latency. Who wouldn't want that?

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Windows 7 32bit & 64bit (dualboot) Gigabyte mobo Intel dual quad 9650 & 4GB Ram RME DIGI9636 & Tascam DM24.  M-audio Rbus & SI-24 Alesis Pro active 5.1 & Radford 90 transmissionline monitors. Roland RD-150 piano Edirol UM-880 & alesis fireport.
Remote recording Alesis HD-24 & Phonic MRS 1-20.
P.A. D&R Dayner 29-8-2 & behringer MX8000 (& racks)
Rackpc Sonar Platinum with win10 AMD X6 1055T, 16GB Ram
 Dell inspiron 17R 6gb ram W10 two SSD's Sonar Plat.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/13 09:48:48 (permalink)
ampfixerCan you imagine a keyboard controller that looks like a glass slab until it's turned on?

Yes. I doubt the action would be very good though. Or the velocity sensitivity. Or aftertouch. Touchscreen keyboards already exist and they're a poor compromise at best compared to a real keyboard.

Control surfaces, on the other hand, are a different matter. Touch-screen control surfaces already exist. With a touchscreen monitor Sonar already has that capability. And there are quite a number of control surface applications for tablets, some of which work very well. None are dedicated to Sonar in the way Apple's Logic remote app is built for Logic Pro though.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
BobF
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/13 10:15:33 (permalink)
I'm waiting for this one to become affordable

Bob  --
--

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/18 11:32:55 (permalink)
FWIW...

I agree with Ampfixer about "disposable" gear. I have guitars that are 50 years old and not only do they work fine, you can still buy replacement strings for them. I also have digital keyboards from the 80s that work, but once some critical component fails and is no longer available, then that instrument becomes useless.

The V-Studio controller is Mackie-compatible and I use it with other programs, like Reason and Vegas. It also still works fine with SONAR. But again, it's likely that at some point a proprietary component will fail and that will be the end of it. I believe there are also some quirks with the Mackie Control implementation with SONAR because I tested it with the SSL Nucleus. Great controller, and worked fine for the basics...but as soon as you tried to control buses, you couldn't get back to any other mode of operation.

The issue of support for companies is tricky. Most companies do not make their own components and rely on third-party supply chains. Due to the size of our industry, these are often single-sourced. So let's suppose your V-Studio controller goes south. Roland may not be able to fix it because the company they used to make certain components is either out of business or moved on and no longer makes that part. Most companies will keep spare parts on hand to handle future service needs, but eventually those will run out. Of course drivers can be re-written, but as has been pointed out here, to be fair to Roland the economics of doing so don't make sense.

Finally, there's the desire of companies to sell you new stuff, whether you need it or not. I had a Matrox graphics card which was supposedly not compatible with 64-bit Windows 7. I contacted the company about a driver and they said no way, didn't exist, had to buy a new card. But then I found an installation package for servers that included a 64-bit Windows 7 compatible driver for the card. It worked perfectly, and was even identified as being for 64-bit Windows 7.

Or the Epson scanner that supposedly had no driver that would work with 64-bit systems. Yet I found a driver on the web someone had hacked (illegally, of course...you're not supposed to reverse engineer or modify a manufacturer's code) and it worked fine. Apparently all it required was removing or adding a line of code, it was a very simple change.

Or take my Apple quad core Xeon, which was manufactured two weeks before the cutoff date for being able to run full 64-bit operating systems. That cutoff date had nothing to do with technology; it's possible to modify the computer to work as a full 64-bit machine and run operating systems past Lion. But Apple would much rather that I buy a new computer.

It's a helluva stupid world we're leaving for our kids.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/18 12:29:20 (permalink)
Hmmm.  I've got an old Epson printer that will do CDs - but not on 64 bits.  Any other hints?

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Eveangel
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/19 18:22:25 (permalink)
My question in all of this is why is updating the operating system so important? In most cases Operating systems are the least needed updates when in comes to users immediately updating, but so many people flock to the updating of the systems.  Then when they do everyone is screaming for updates.  If the programs you use operates under the old OS system, and there is no reason to update such as lower system load or better Asio driver implementation, or whatever the users particular situation may be, your better off forgetting whatever bells and whistles that are calling you.  OS's are flashy, but in the background, allot of times there is little to no changes to throughput on OS updates or new releases.  Mostly its the front end and new apps that are added that become the main stay for the new OS.  They usually take up more memory than the last, leave less to the secondary manufacturer's applications(especially where windows is concerned), and over all they tend to be buggy the first 6 months to a year after implementation.  So anyone going to 10, check and make sure there are drivers for your system. (Audio, Video, Midi, interfaces)  Because if not rollbacks can be quite painful, and sometimes completely impossible.
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/19 21:34:33 (permalink)
Anderton
Of course drivers can be re-written, but as has been pointed out here, to be fair to Roland the economics of doing so don't make sense.

Well, hang on there. In the case of the v series drivers, us plebs at the forums have them working, off the back of a bit of getting together in our spare time. Roland could get a moderately capable junior to sort this out in an afternoon. That's not an economic barrier, that's cynically exercised fake obsolescence.

I hope this eventually bites them. We're now in a world where audio hardware needs to be computer compatible. I hope that the companies - of which there are presently few, it has to be said - who work to maintain compatibility, will earn their customers' loyalty. And that the companies who presently don't, find it necessary to rethink that position.

Roland have been financially struggling for quite a while, it's no secret. And while I wish no ill on their workforce in general, at a corporate level, well, they should stop conducting their business so poorly.

THERE, I'VE SAID IT.
post edited by John T - 2015/08/19 21:43:14

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/20 00:41:19 (permalink)
John T
Well, hang on there. In the case of the v series drivers, us plebs at the forums have them working, off the back of a bit of getting together in our spare time. Roland could get a moderately capable junior to sort this out in an afternoon. That's not an economic barrier, that's cynically exercised fake obsolescence. 

I hope this eventually bites them. We're now in a world where audio hardware needs to be computer compatible. I hope that the companies - of which there are presently few, it has to be said - who work to maintain compatibility, will earn their customers' loyalty. And that the companies who presently don't, find it necessary to rethink that position.

Roland have been financially struggling for quite a while, it's no secret. And while I wish no ill on their workforce in general, at a corporate level, well, they should stop conducting their business so poorly.

THERE, I'VE SAID IT.

Let's just say that's true. They will still have to test it, considerably. A complicated interface requires more complicated testing. The combinations can be huge.

The other alternative is not to test it extensivel, and risk releasing a dodgy driver. If the driver is dodgy they may also have to spend a considerable period of time and money fixing it....

With simple interfaces it's not too hard to test.

Alternatively stop support, don't spend any money. Life is less complicated for them Hopefully people will buy a new product from them... and if they don't there are always new customers....

And if something is branded as Cakewalk, well somebody else is at least (perceptually) going to shoulder the blame (many customers won't know or care about cakewalks ex relationship with Roland).
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/08/20 00:51:17

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2015/08/20 03:30:00 (permalink)
fwiw, i'm still using an edirol ua-1000, released in 2003, the twist being that i'm using the vista drivers! win10 wouldn't accept the win7 drivers... go figure...

just a sec

AlanSJackson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2016/02/22 15:38:11 (permalink)
I had a Roland V-studio 20 which I had to part with when I was 'forced' down the Win 10 route. I truth I was gutted as it was for me the perfect partner for guitarist and DAW control. 
Though the driver workaround got the thing working, it was never fully functional and prone to failure. 

Even more galling is the fact that Win 10 caused me so much pain I sold out and went back to 8.1.
If only I had kept the V-studio.....
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2016/02/23 09:05:00 (permalink)
There were bunch of ex Edirol interfaces branded as CAKEWALK. I wonder if bakers feel obliged to take care of those ?

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2016/02/23 12:37:14 (permalink)
I must say, I am pleased with the fact I went with Roland interfaces.
My UA-25EX and UA-101 both have Win10 drivers ready to download.
See www.rolandus.com. The UA-25EX is Cakewalk branded.
post edited by jpetersen - 2016/02/23 13:21:17
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2016/02/23 13:17:05 (permalink)
jpetersen
I must say, I am pleased with the fact I went with Roland interfaces.
My UA-25EX and UA-101 both have Win10 drivers ready to download.
See www.rolandus.com. The UA-25EX is Cakewalk branded.

Before I go for win10 what are the chances in your opinion UA-25ex driver would be good for UA-25 ?

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Cakewalk should take over driver development for Cakewalk branded hardware made by Rol 2016/02/24 10:08:45 (permalink)
Ha! That's a very, very sore point.

I had the older UA-25, then I got the UA-25EX as a backup (UA-25 was off the market by then).

Turns out you cannot have both the UA-25 and the UA-25EX drivers installed at the same time.
Whenever you install the one, it detects the other and insists on uninstalling it before continuing to  install itself.

And the drivers for the UA-25EX are not backward compatible with the older UA-25!

I had to sell my older UA-25 and got a second Cakewalk-branded UA-25EX.

My even older UA-101 driver co-exists with both, no problem.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1