Helpful ReplyMaster Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help!

Author
KGunn
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
2011/04/04 23:23:13 (permalink)

Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help!

Hello people,

Im new here but i have searched and could not find a relevant answer, keep in mind that Ive only had my V Studio for about 3 days (Nice!), and nice portion of that time has been trying to figure out WTFIGO with this issue. I get around pretty good on this thing but, this has thrown me and keep finding myself distracted by it.

Its probably some minor oversite but its large enough for "me" to post about it..   So here is the question.

Why is it that no matter what i do, rather it be a new project or a old project... My console always seems to link the master fader to the first bus i create.  Now im not talking about the signal route, im talking about the actual movement of the faders..

For example if i create a Drums bus to the master fader, then the master fader to the Main out, the drum bus will move my master fader and vice versa.. it seems that it only happens with the first bus.. Cause if i create another it moves independently from the other busses.. and one more thing is that when this happens the bus and master faders on Sonars console view doesnt move together, only on the V Studio Console.

So my question is... Is the First Bus always linked to the Master fader of the Console?... is there a setting that im missing?...  or is this just normal operation that im clearly not understanding?

Running:
WinXP 32bit
Quad
4Mb
Sonar 8.5.0.141

Thanks in advance.
Gunn
KGunn
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/05 18:27:24 (permalink)
Wow... Nobody?.... 20 reads?.... Well can someone direct me to a forum where members Do respond?

Thanks
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 2084
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/06 04:55:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
The Console's Master Fader is linked to SONAR's first bus. This is intended so that it always controls the Master Bus, so its typically best practice to have your Master Bus in SONAR set as the first, or left-most bus.

Of course, you can get creative and move around the busses if you want that fader to control a different bus, or just switch the faders to Bus mode.

HTH

don4777
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/06 15:35:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
You can also drag the WAI indicator on the Sonar display to whichever bus you want the Master Fader on the V700-C to control.  That way you can control any bus you want regardless of whether or not it is the first bus.

The WAI indicator is the "Where AM I" colored bar to the left of the bus (or track) info in the Track View.

Don
KGunn
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/07 01:24:07 (permalink)
OKay!.. and i have another question about the faders, but imma do my diligence, and search pryer to complaining... With that said id like to thank you guys for actually answering all of my questions on the subject, & some

Cheers!

• Total Posts : 2084
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/07 14:19:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Feel free to ask. What's up?
KGunn
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/08 10:36:49 (permalink)

Feel free to ask. What's up?

Ive search this forum, google, and You tube ect... Yet i have not been able to find anything related to my issue.

That issue being the Faders, whenever i push on a random fader the fader kind of acts as if its motor is slow to react.. It kind of feels like the faders are in automation, and the automation is going in the opposite direction that im pushing the fader. Yet i have never used automation on the 700 to date (less than a week).

So my question to you guys is, have anyone else experienced this, and if so was it a setting that needed to be tweaked, normal operation (which would be a real problem) or do i just own a faulty V Studio 700?s.

Thanks,
Gunn

stratrat1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 212
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/09 13:09:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Put your finger on top of the fader, don't push it from the side... I experienced that myself and found that the faders want to make sure your not hitting them by mistake...If that makes sense

Sonar Platinum
windows 10 64bit
Intel i7 Quad 950
Asus p6t 
24 gigs DDR3 1333
3 250 gig SSD
VS-700C
Soundcraft COMPACT 24 for pres and converters....
KGunn
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/09 23:21:55 (permalink)
stratrat1

Put your finger on top of the fader, don't push it from the side... I experienced that myself and found that the faders want to make sure your not hitting them by mistake...If that makes sense

Thanks for the reply Stray,

And it makes perfect sense, plus it would probably be a great ON/OFF feature for Mixing when your in your final tweaks with no major level changes taking place, but I cant see this being any kind of overall feature, This thing is meant to be used for a smooth but fast and productive work flow, not the carefulness of your touch.. But hey, you may be right, It could be a setting that I just need to turn off.... Off Immediately. Its discouraging when your in the middle or monitoring something and your faders are stuck, or hesitant to move... I keep finding myself trying to find some kind of fader calibration setting that fixes the issue (very time consuming) and what am i suppost to do? ... stop looking for a solution?.. i might stay away from it untill i get a chance to get CS on the phone.

or

Hopefully one of these CW Gurus will be able to chime in and ease this V Studio Rockie

thanks again Strat
Gunn
don4777
  • Total Posts : 264
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/10 07:34:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I think you are just seeing the fussiness of touch sensitive faders (or devices in general).  The fader has to sense your touch.  This is going to vary based on the conductivity of your skin, humidity, pressure, etc.  Dry skin/low humidity=less sensitivity.  High humidity, moist skin=more sensitivity.  For guitar players it is common that the heavily calloused fingers of the fretting hand isn't as good at triggering the sensitivity.  I have had several touch sensitive control surfaces - VS-700, Mackie, AlphaTrack - and they all exhibited this exact same behavior.  A good solid touch of the fader is the best approach although I have heard some people that have tried hand lotion to keep their hands moisturized.  I have never been that bothered by the problem to try it.

Good luck.

Don
post edited by don4777 - 2011/04/10 07:48:59
KGunn
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/11 00:13:44 (permalink)
don4777

I think you are just seeing the fussiness of touch sensitive faders (or devices in general).  The fader has to sense your touch.  This is going to vary based on the conductivity of your skin, humidity, pressure, etc.  Dry skin/low humidity=less sensitivity.  High humidity, moist skin=more sensitivity.  For guitar players it is common that the heavily calloused fingers of the fretting hand isn't as good at triggering the sensitivity.  I have had several touch sensitive control surfaces - VS-700, Mackie, AlphaTrack - and they all exhibited this exact same behavior.  A good solid touch of the fader is the best approach although I have heard some people that have tried hand lotion to keep their hands moisturized.  I have never been that bothered by the problem to try it.

Good luck.

Don

Don - I think You hit the nail on the head, at first i thought you were suggesting that i was ashey or some isht ... hahaha.... just kindin... but i was already aware of the sensitivity settings, mainly because i had tuned them down thinking that maybe they were just to sensitive (backwards), I think i had them set to around 50% or so... But after your post i revisited "Shif CTR Mute" and turned them up to 100% (max lv = 127) and now the faders are operating as expected...  So i guess that sesitivity setting could be used as a bump deterrent, as Stra had sugested... Thanks Alot Don

Good "advice"
Gunn

KGunn
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/11 02:57:44 (permalink)
Ok, Sense i have you guys attention, I have another thing that has been nipping at me... why is it that whenever I patch a synth it seems to takes up two faders on the 700, One seems to be the audio track and the other the midi... Hiding or minimizing the audio track makes the fader disappear, but you sacrifice the meter monitoring on the 700, and hiding the midi well hides the midi... Theirs so many way to explain the issue that i dont know where to begin... like is there a way to patch a synth, while creating one track that shows on track one on the 700?...  Anyway, im sure you guys have an idea of what im speaking of... 

In advance,
Gunn

Update: Is this the case with the new X1
post edited by KGunn - 2011/04/11 03:00:53
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/11 07:18:33 (permalink)
You want both tracks visible. You could make an instrument track but you need seperate controls for each side of the synth. don't know why you'd want to hide one. ???

Craig DuBuc
KGunn
Re:Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2011/04/11 15:12:14 (permalink)
Crg

You want both tracks visible. You could make an instrument track but you need seperate controls for each side of the synth. don't know why you'd want to hide one. ???

Hey Crg,

My issue is that Sonar takes up two faders for one "stereo" track on the 700... when you create a track from opening the synth rack, the 700 shows the Midi track assigned to one fader (the problem) and another track that the audio playing is assigned to that has meter leveling... I dont need to see the track the midi is using while im on the 700, it has no value in the mix... i only need to see the track that is supplying the level meter... Why would i need two outputs (700 faders) for one Stereo track?... Its a stereo track-k right? (singular)...  If I was creating two mono track (L+R) it would be understandable. but the midi track is just using up a faders.. Both faders on the 700 will control the exact same signal from sonar, there is no left and right split. Not to mention how it throws off the matching of tracks to the 700 faders ...

4instance:

If i was starting a fresh project using two different synths at the same time, and without changing or hiding anything, The 700 would show the first fader as the Midi (no meters) just stereo volume control, and the second fader as the audio (with leveling meters) and volume control (in stereo). that would be two stereo tracks for one instrument.. Then the second instrument would do the same, for a total of 4 faders being used on the 700... Thats 4 faders for two midi tracks... U know what im sayin?

Now u can alway hide a track (audio or midi) but say if you hide the audio track, it removes itself from the 700, but now your stuck with no metering of that track, and if you hide the midi you have no midi clips showing in sonar while in the track view.

its like we have to trade one for the other, or deal with having one track that needs two faders on the 700... (why?)

As usual, im expecting it to be some sort of setting that alludes me, but untill then its kind of annoying..uno?
... Also, yes i am fully aware of the Console Strip Visibility, it really has nothing to do with my issue, that i can see.

Thanks for the reply CRG
GUNN

post edited by KGunn - 2011/04/11 15:57:14
reza
  • Total Posts : 262
Re: Master Fader and first Bus created, keeps Linking up... New to the V Studio.. Help! 2015/08/27 01:57:42 (permalink)

post edited by REZA - 2015/08/27 02:06:52
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1