Tyro in SoftSynth Jungle

Author
chuckpuckett
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
2015/08/26 23:23:20 (permalink)

Tyro in SoftSynth Jungle

Hi,
I've been a Cakewalk user since 1.0, but over the years I migrated away from doing much MIDI-based work, instead using SONAR to mix the band's audio tracks. Recently, I'm doing some solo projects, and importing MIDI generated elsewhere (mainly drums and bass, a little piano and strings), then recording guitars, vocals, keyboards, etc. 

The point is, I confess that I have no sophistication whatsoever when it comes to effectively using softsynth(s) to derive the MIDI tracks. In fact, I can really never fathom the myriad of parameters, which are frankly overwhelming, and most of the time can get no sound out of them at all. Consequently, I have resigned myself to using Cakewalk TTS, just because I can get, you know, "sound" out of it. But I'm sure I'm missing a wealth of potential simply due to my ignorance. 

I googled the internets, but only seemed to turn up SONAR 3 documentation which was bare bones "how to add a soft synth". I'm really looking for guidance/literature/tutorials that describe the plethora of synths available, how to use them most effectively, etc.

I have Sonar Platinum, with a ton of plugins, but most are heavily UNDER-utilized.

Any pointing me to the right resources, learning tools, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck Puckett, BA, ~MA, ThD
"I don't want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while."
www.puckettpublishing.com
www.chuckpuckettsongaweek.com

5 Replies Related Threads

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Tyro in SoftSynth Jungle 2015/08/27 08:40:25 (permalink)

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Tyro in SoftSynth Jungle 2015/08/27 10:43:00 (permalink)
    TTS is a general midi (GM) synth, easy to use but which sounds, are, less than other, harder to use synths.  I don't know what "midi" you are getting from others, but channel 10 midi is usually reserved for drums, and Addictive Drums (which comes w/ SP) is a very nice "drum machine." That should be your first stop - you'll find your productions sound more acoustic using it.

DimPro is Cakewalk's sample playback synth, as good as most others for acoustic sounds.  Other synths have larger libraries and more and extensive additional libraries, but as a bog-standard acoustic emulation engine it is the best you'll find in SP.  And there are more libraries available on the Cake site to round out your sounds or if you need something special.  However, there is probably not a 5 gig library of triangles if you are doing orchestral work.  Get Kontakt and a bunch of libraries if you are going down that road.

Rapture is Cake's synth.  It too is a sample playback synth, but the controls, tho similar to DimPro, are more extensive and w/ lots 'o step sequencers to make it easy to do loop-based or dance type music.  The sample selection is also biased toward synths and keyboards rather than acoustic emulations (in fact, the "missing" organs one would think one would find in DimPro are in Rapture).  And both use SFZ format and both sound "bright," to my ears.  They cut through a mix, but sometimes you don't want that - like too much transistor distortion - if everything is bright and sharp nothing stands out in a song. 

Z3TA is Cake's analog (synth) emulation and is a bit cutting, too, but sounds different than the SFZ synths and is more modular.  I prefer Alchemy for deeper, smoother analog synth sounds, but you'll have to use Logic and Apple to get that one now.  There is also the newer Z3TA 2+ and Rapture Pro (a great combo of Dimpro and Rapt), and older analog emulations that others like.  I'm not a big fan of them, but they are certainly usable.  So you should find decent presets among the several thousand available between all the SP synths.  

Figuring out which you like is the key - they are there.  But no one can tell you which synth and preset to use unless they are right there with you when making the choice, but the above should provide some guidelines where to start listening.
    post edited by AT - 2015/08/27 10:52:31

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    chuckpuckett
    Re: Tyro in SoftSynth Jungle 2015/08/27 11:57:16 (permalink)
    Thanks. These were extremely helpful replies, and now I'm itching to get in (after downloading Huntington, or whatever town this latest upgrade is named after ) and use these suggestions. 
    As for SONAR X3 Power!, well, turns out its on my Kindle, and has been. For enough time that I had forgotten I owned it. Like Gandalf said about Barliman Butterbur: "His memory is like a lumber-room: thing always wanted buried". This is easily true of me as well. 

TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Tyro in SoftSynth Jungle 2015/08/27 12:08:55 (permalink)
    A book I've found helpful is Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann. It's older, but it walks you through many synths still part of SPlat and does a good job of covering each of the parameters (variables) of each synth. The first synth covered, Triangle II, can be found for download, and I believe all but one are still included. It also covers soundfonts. If you get this, and can't find the Triangle II synth download, PM me, and I'll put it in my cloud for you to grab.

http://www.amazon.com/Cak...s-Power/dp/1435455649/

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    chuckpuckett
    Re: Tyro in SoftSynth Jungle 2015/08/27 12:24:55 (permalink)
    found it. got it. thanks!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1