Deep Freeze or something similar for software stability?

Author
Sp3ctre18
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 161
2013/11/03 14:56:56 (permalink)

Deep Freeze or something similar for software stability?

So, I'm pretty uncomfortably close with a guy you might all know, Law, Murphy's Law, when it comes to computers I think. I often get problems that are not a quick diagnosis or simple fix. Most of my problems ended up being hardware related, so especially in case of hard drive issues, I've been working out better backup solutions, particularly including hard drive imaging. I'm craving some stability so I can more agressively search out gigs, rather than holding back because my computers are too messed up to write music with.

I really want to be able to easily minimize or rule out software issues without the hassles and restrictions of worrying about changed settings or malware from internet, network, or removable media. I will have my backup options; I'll be fine with keeping my data and OS's safe and easily restored with backups, redundancy, and imaging, should hard drives need replacement.

However, compared to resorting to keeping the machine offline or restoring an image should something get messed up (or I give up fixing it), wouldn't it be simpler and better to just set up my standard image and Deep Freeze it?

I don't know much about Deep Freeze other than that we use it as school for student workstations and how every restart brings up the exact orginal image, but am I wrong (maybe over-simplistic) in my impression that if something goes wrong, all I have to do is restart the computer and I get the information that 1: It's gone, software issues solved, or 2: Problem persists, go check hardware?

I'd have external HDDs or ThawSpace for data.

PS: I think, really, the main changes that can happen are updates; keeping Windows and programs updated. How does that play into your stability concerns since updates can cause issues themselves? How do you fit updates into your planning?
post edited by Sp3ctre18 - 2013/11/03 15:04:51

Rhoi Fajardo: Film/Cinematic Composer
SoundCloud | YouTube
This Can Be Pronounced: Advising on Foreign Languages
Website Facebook | YouTube

4 Replies Related Threads

rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: Deep Freeze or something similar for software stability? 2013/11/20 06:41:14 (permalink)
    It's quite an extreme solution, although it's not an uncommon fear, to want to nuke your setup every time you restart your computer. I'm wondering, if that would cause you more grief than you are trying to avoid.
    Also, if a virus or malware can infiltrate to your boot or bios level you may have issues with even your deep freeze option.
    A solid backup and HDD image solution, should give you the peace of mind you are looking for. I have this vision of you trying to fault find an issue caused by a corrupt sector, because you keep overwriting what is essentially perfectly good OS and program files.
    Just my thoughts on where you may end up.
    rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: Deep Freeze or something similar for software stability? 2013/11/20 06:44:00 (permalink)
    P.S. With regards to windows and other program updates.
    If you test your system thoroughly after each major update, you can then take another image.
    Don't delete any of the older ones though.
    Sp3ctre18
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Deep Freeze or something similar for software stability? 2015/08/26 02:45:24 (permalink)
    Looking at the date of my topic, this was probably around the time 2 hard drives failed and my computer setup and couple terabytes of data was thrown into disarray yet again. I only NOW have gotten everything organized again.

So I'm necro'ing this because my question still stands, and I wonder if anyone does anything like this?

My point is, I will always have a secondary computer for my non-music tasks, so would something like DeepFreeze be good idea so that I don't have to resort to totally taking my music-only PC off the network as well as keep it totally fresh and just for work?

Thank you rebel for the reply, sorry I didn't see this or was too focused on damage control to remember this. I understand deepfreeze as simply deleting all new changes, not nuking everything, so I'm not sure if the wear and tear would be any different?

I know there's no foolproof way and I could always get hit by a virus or something, but I just want things easier and more reliable if possible. I hate when I haven't even installed or changed any settings and something breaks, having to do diagnostics and re-installs when you have no idea how the heck anything could have changed anything to mess something up. Wouldn't this help me keep software stable so when a problem comes up that normally could be caused by either software or hardware, I can directly go troubleshoot the hardware?

Any other thoughts from anyone?
    post edited by Sp3ctre18 - 2015/08/26 02:55:41

Rhoi Fajardo: Film/Cinematic Composer
    SoundCloud | YouTube
    This Can Be Pronounced: Advising on Foreign Languages
    Website Facebook | YouTube
    Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Deep Freeze or something similar for software stability? 2015/08/27 20:48:46 (permalink)
    If you are not installing software whatsoever (i.e. plugins, updated version of Sonar) sure take it off the internet.
    Otherwise you should be running windows update regularly, and keeping your drivers and firmware up to date, just like sysadmins do. That makes your PC more reliable not less. This is not 1999.

You should also to separate your data from your applications into different partitions/disks.
    When working consider disabling all network adapters.

The other thing you should be doing is backing up regularly. With trueimage you can restore from backup fast. As long as you backup before you install software you should be completely safe.

If you are worried about hardware you need redundancy such as RAID or mirrored hard drive, battery backups etc. In extreme examples have an identical PC on standby. I appreciate that is off topic however.

I don't see any advantages with your method.
    post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/08/27 20:58:40

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1