Helpful ReplyAugust SONAR "Hopkinton" now available

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/27 22:08:23 (permalink)
I think it should be automatically downloaded with the release with the date as part of its name.  

Best
John
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/27 23:25:32 (permalink)
RD9

I feel for you both; Craig for his long time frustration that many don't read his eZine page and rhWheeler for his difficulty with locating it.  Many of us have experienced problems with its location and have suggested a more prominent presence.  It is one of those "Once you know where it is, you know where it is"  but until you finally learn where CW is putting it, the eZine remains much like a "Holy Grail" of useful information.

I am the official Rodney Dangerfield of Cakewalk . Glad those who can track it down find it useful, but also, don't forget that the help files get updated with each release, and sometimes they include additional details...the eZine is more about descriptions and applications than down-in-the-weeds details.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Gone!!
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 797
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 00:03:26 (permalink)
rwheeler

Although I had looked at the update summary page, I realized this is not the same as the "release eZine." But it was quite the adventure trying to find the eZine. Searching knowledge base for "eZine" yields links to some for earlier release eZines but not the most recent one (yet). The link on the summary page is disguised as "based on" a pdf file, but no mention of the term "eZine" there.

I'm pretty sure (not 100% though) that in the release thread, such as this one, that the a link to the eZine is located fairly early on in the 'Learn More' link that Mr Jackson (or whoever does that release) put in the first post. That's how I remember always finding it. Pretty easy.
post edited by jih64 - 2015/08/28 00:12:06
Notecrusher
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 579
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 00:44:05 (permalink)
Anderton
Notecrusher
I can't figure out how to disable the new start screen?

I wish more people would read the release eZine, many of the questions posed in the forum after release are answered in there.

You shouldn't have to read the ezine to learn how to not get something that wasn't there before. I had the previous start screen toggled off. I had it toggled off via the checkbox that was right on the old start screen itself, which is standard. Lots of s/w has start screens.

Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 04:49:37 (permalink)
Notecrusher
You shouldn't have to read the ezine to learn how to not get something that wasn't there before. I had the previous start screen toggled off. I had it toggled off via the checkbox that was right on the old start screen itself, which is standard. Lots of s/w has start screens.

Don't take this wrong. I've read the above a few times and I really can't get a grip on what you are trying to get across. Ultimately though if you are saying people shouldn't need to read the ezines or documentation for whatever reason then you are plain wrong.. Sorry :)
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/08/28 04:59:51

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
RajahP
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 98
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 08:37:17 (permalink)
dappa1
Works like a gem and I am loving it...it is very organised and simple to use...This has really made my day!

I do not have to go looking for songs to review them or to click every song to find out what it is. I can easily see and detect them. I can tag the songs I am working on or put a list of songs that need mixing together aswell as work on new projects and finish them and move them along. I can now focus on starting and finishing a project, locating it and sorting out a more intuitive way to work. It is great! 

Really nice update... Seems like the start screen is a build up for a collaboration thing..

Thumbs up Cake.. I love it..
post edited by RajahP - 2015/08/28 08:47:41
Blackiejames7
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 10:17:33 (permalink)
The latest update is great and I am enjoying the new features. Music producing in Sonar Platinum is getting better each month ! Thanks

Blackie
redbarchetta
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 10:50:50 (permalink)
Odd, command center is not showing me any updates.  Am I missing something?

Rick - Sofware Engineer by trade, Rock Star God wannabe 
Sonar X3 Producer
Roland Octa-Capture
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Boss DR-880
Boss GT100
Line 6 Pod X3
Yamaha HS 50M
Focusrite VRM Box
Audio-Technica ATH M-50
Various guitars and amps

Anderton
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 11:01:03 (permalink)
Click on the system icon and click on "Check for Updates."

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Carl Posz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 15:10:52 (permalink)
Here's a few things that I'm noticing with this update. Some of this has already been listed in other threads. I will say that I do like the new Start Screen and templates
1) On the Start screen I too can not open projects where I have them saved. My path is as follows: C:\Users\Carl\Documents\Cakewalk Projects\Carl's Originals
2) When I pin a project I cannot unpin it. So now I've got three versions of a song I'm working on and they are all pinned
3) I don't see pictures for the projects either. I have saved 2 version in the new Hopkinton release and still only see a black box. I'm not sure what I should see.
4) When I installed the new update it cleared out my audio devices in Audacity so when I launched it said it couldn't find audio devices and that I wouldn't be able to play or record audio. I did get this resolved but I thought it was something worth noting. I know it was the update because audacity was working the night before. The next morning I updated and then tried to launch audacity later that day and this issue was discovered. Oh, when I went to my audio playback devices the default was set to my M-Audio device instead of my internal Realtek device.

Carl

I just need more time

Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7 920 quad core @ 2.67Ghz, 12 GB Ram
Sonar Platinum, Korg DS-8 keyboard, Kurzwell MicroPiano, Roland D-110, Roland R-8M,M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Doktor Avalanche
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 15:49:27 (permalink)
Better check all your file paths in Sonar preferences and CCC settings.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Carl Posz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 16:09:16 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche

They all look as they should.
I was wondering if this is caused by the problem with start menu not finding the correct path to my projects. So checking this out I selected a project that didn't have a tick in the path or the name. I opened it from Existing Projects and saved it. Then closed it. When the start menu appeared I reopened it with out a problem. I then pinned it. I closed Sonar down and reopened it and I was able to unpin the project.
But the icon is still just black.
End result, the problem with the path not found also seems to be causing the unpin problem on those projects. 

I just need more time

Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7 920 quad core @ 2.67Ghz, 12 GB Ram
Sonar Platinum, Korg DS-8 keyboard, Kurzwell MicroPiano, Roland D-110, Roland R-8M,M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Notecrusher
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 16:38:54 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Notecrusher

Don't take this wrong. I've read the above a few times and I really can't get a grip on what you are trying to get across. Ultimately though if you are saying people shouldn't need to read the ezines or documentation for whatever reason then you are plain wrong.. Sorry :)

You don't get it. If someone said "I shouldn't have to read the ezine to learn how to use a new feature", that would be wrong. That's not what I said. I said I had an existing feature toggled off. That feature was updated. The new start screen was FORCED ON. Not only forced on, but the standard mechanism for turning it off was removed, a standard mechanism which is used in s/w products across the spectrum (checkbox right on the screen). No one should have to read the ezine to find out that to make things AS THEY WERE you have to go into advanced settings. 

Hope that clears things up. 
Doktor Avalanche
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 17:08:12 (permalink)
You aren't using Gloucester or earlier any more.

The actual expected behaviour is in the documentation regardless of what your expectations may be. That's why they document stuff. Cheers..
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/08/28 17:16:20

Notecrusher
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 17:35:11 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche

The actual expected behaviour is in the documentation regardless of what your expectations may be. That's why they document stuff. Cheers..

The EXPECTED behavior is what I outlined above. It's when s/w DOESN'T behave as expected that one must turn to the documentation (or to learn something new, not the case here). GUI standards have a purpose. User friendly is desirable. 
Doktor Avalanche
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 17:46:21 (permalink)
Notecrusher
The EXPECTED behavior is what I outlined above.

I guess you know far better than the documentation you didn't read then. You win .

Notecrusher
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 18:00:11 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Notecrusher
The EXPECTED behavior is what I outlined above.

I guess you know far better than the documentation you didn't read then. 

You cut the salient point out of my post so you could troll like you always do.

IT'S A GUI STANDARD. Start screens, which boatloads of s/w feature, universally have a checkbox right on the screen to disable them. In fact Cakewalk have followed that same standard until a couple of days ago. 

Doktor Avalanche
You win .

This is meant to sound like you're leaving but you'll be back to troll me again. And again. And again. It's what you do. 
1. Troll me w/ insulting post.
2. Insist you've been nothing but fair and consiliatory and reasonable but I'm "not having any of it".
3. Promise that you're leaving.
Repeat until mod closes thread.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 18:20:10 (permalink)
" It's when s/w DOESN'T behave as expected that one must turn to the documentation"

You seem to think it's your job to decide what is expected not Cakewalk. I suggest you go and apply straight away for the design and documentation team then.

BTW it might be what you think is "expected" and I'm sorry don't agree with you, I actually think Cake's done that bit right. But it neither matters what any of us think here, it is documented by the designers. So please stop arguing irrelevant points, it's documented so it's not down to what we think. If you think it should change, log an enhancement.

Please do me a favor, calm down and go read something. I said "you win" simply because it is clear you are not the sort to back down on the point, so much so you wind yourself up so much, you will then accuse others of trolling (clearly) and being "insulting". Don't be so silly.

Give it up... I have.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/08/28 18:31:41

Notecrusher
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 19:27:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Doktor Avalanche 2015/08/28 19:53:23
Doktor Avalanche
" It's when s/w DOESN'T behave as expected that one must turn to the documentation"

You seem to think it's your job to decide what is expected not Cakewalk. I suggest you go and apply straight away for the design and documentation team then.

Once again cutting out the same salient point from my post so you can troll me, for the THIRD TIME NOW. That is really extraordinary. But it's no accident. You can't answer so you must obscure. Must depict me as saying something that I'm not. GUI STANDARD Troll. GUI STANDARD.

Doktor Avalanche

Please do me a favor, calm down and go read something. I said "you win" simply because it is clear you are not the sort to back down on the point, so much so you wind yourself up so much, you will then accuse others of trolling (clearly) and being "insulting". Don't be so silly.

Give it up... I have.

mmm hmmm.
1. Troll me w/ insulting post.
2. Insist you've been nothing but fair and consiliatory and reasonable but I'm "not having any of it".
3. Promise that you're leaving.
Repeat until mod closes thread.

lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 19:43:30 (permalink)
rwheeler
Anderton

I wish more people would read the release eZine, many of the questions posed in the forum after release are answered in there.

Although I had looked at the update summary page, I realized this is not the same as the "release eZine." But it was quite the adventure trying to find the eZine. Searching knowledge base for "eZine" yields links to some for earlier release eZines but not the most recent one (yet). The link on the summary page is disguised as "based on" a pdf file, but no mention of the term "eZine" there.

The eZines have great information. I suggest having someone make an easy-to-find page with direct links to all the eZines, or else have a sticky link near the top of the forum with the collection of those links.

Over time it might be advantageous to add an annual summary eZine that lists all the improvements made from January through December. Could be a useful marketing tool as well as a useful bit of reference information.

It's awkward to say, but I'm not even sure what the eZine is. Is that the announcement that comes with the release when a monthly release goes live? If so, I'm reading that each time. If it's some other reference page I don't know about it. In either case, if The bakers would like us to learn from the "eZine" it would be helpful if more obvious links or references to it showed up.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Gone!!
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 19:46:55 (permalink)
It's linked to off the 'Learn More" link in the very first post of this thread, and near the very top of that document you will find the link. I think it has been like that for a while.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 19:48:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rwheeler 2015/08/29 05:07:59
Does it link off CCC? If not it should...,

Gone!!
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 19:55:29 (permalink)
That could be a good idea, you should make an enhancement request 
Doktor Avalanche
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 19:56:24 (permalink)
Right!

Notecrusher
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 20:35:20 (permalink)
Here are some things that cause confusion about the ezine:
- The document doesn't have ezine anywhere in the name. It's called:
SONAR [year] ["releasename"] Update
- The webpage URL doesn't have ezine in it either. It's: 
static.cakewalk.com/cakewalk/products/sonar/release_notes/Welcome_to_the_SONAR_[releasename]_Update.pdf
- There IS a link in CCC when you have the SONAR Platinum bulb selected. But it's to a different doc, not the ezine. But some people might think it's the ezine because very confusingly, it has a very similar name. It's called:
SONAR [year] [releasename] Update Notes.
It looks rather different though, and it's a KB article and not a PDF. It is "adapted" from the ezine.
post edited by Notecrusher - 2015/08/28 20:46:42
Anderton
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 20:42:33 (permalink)
Notecrusher
Here are some things that cause confusion about the ezine:

Thanks for pointing these out.

- The document doesn't have ezine anywhere in the name. It's called:
SONAR [year] ["codename"] Update

eZine isn't a term I coined, it's like category like magazine, book, software, etc. Maybe putting it in the title isn't a bad idea, though, given how many magazines call themselves "[Name] Magazine."

- The webpage doesn't have ezine in it either. It's: 
http://static.cakewalk.co.../Welcome_to_the_SONAR_[codename]_Update.pdf
- There IS a link in CCC when you have the SONAR Platinum bulb selected. But it's to a different doc, not the ezine. But some people might think it's the ezine because very confusingly, it has a very similar name. It's called:
SONAR [year] [codename] Update Notes.
It looks rather different though, and it's a KB article and not a PDF. It is "adapted" from the ezine.

Yes, I finish the eZine, pass it along to Cakewalk, and they do the update notes from that. 

Tom Riggs
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1752
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 21:10:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rwheeler 2015/08/29 05:10:04
Carl Posz
Doktor Avalanche

They all look as they should.
I was wondering if this is caused by the problem with start menu not finding the correct path to my projects. So checking this out I selected a project that didn't have a tick in the path or the name. I opened it from Existing Projects and saved it. Then closed it. When the start menu appeared I reopened it with out a problem. I then pinned it. I closed Sonar down and reopened it and I was able to unpin the project.
But the icon is still just black.
End result, the problem with the path not found also seems to be causing the unpin problem on those projects. 

This is because opening from the start menu does not work if there is an apostrophe in the path or filename. I have the same problem and reported it in the problem reporter. I would suggest you do the same. THis is my trouble ticket number if you want to reference it in your report. CWBRN-35006.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
My YouTube

maximumpower
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 731
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 21:37:21 (permalink)
Finally got around to playing with Hopkinton. While I am not an amp sim kinda guy, I had so much fun tonight using the new start screen to create a new (throw away) project based on the guitar amp showcase. I love the colors.

I turned on all the high gain amps at once, panned each one differently, boosted the bus at 100Hz and jammed away.

I am not very creative (or patient or both) so it is nice to make it so easy to sound good!

Great job!!!

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/28 23:54:45 (permalink)
It's funny.  I've heard "the ezine has the info" for the past several months and never realized that was the Learn More link.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Gone!!
Re: August SONAR "Hopkinton" now available 2015/08/29 00:07:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rwheeler 2015/08/29 05:11:02
The "Learn More" and the "eZine", although essentially the same, with the 'ezine' you get a pretty little .pdf to take home, and a bonus product review at the end
post edited by jih64 - 2015/08/29 00:16:57
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1