Helpful ReplyDo you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks?

Author
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
2015/08/24 11:13:26 (permalink)

Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks?

Hi all,

I have been working with Danny on mastering a song of mine and we got to talking tape emulators. I had Slate VTM on all tracks as well as Slate VCC. I liked the high end roll-off I got. However, Danny suggested I try removing them and see what I thought. While things got a lot brighter (which I can adjust with EQ), I have to say the entire mix just opened up - I didn't realize how much the saturation effect was narrowing the stereo field and in general stifling the mix.

What are your thoughts? It seems these plugins have become ubiquitous - do you use them all the time? do you use them only occasionally? Have you ever pulled them off a mix like this to hear the difference?
post edited by smallstonefan - 2015/08/24 13:13:16
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/24 11:59:43 (permalink)
i never use tape emulators,
or 'saturators' or any of that.

if i need high end roll off,
i use a good linear phase EQ.

if i need something distorted,
i try to record it that way,
or use a VST to simply add distortion to the one track i need.

otherwise,
i see these types of plugins as a way to go backwards, to the shortcomings of recording with tape.

that is a specific sound.... that a lot of times, was simply a happy accident.

the tools now, are much more fine tuned,
and therefore you should be able to dial in the sound you want WITHOUT emulators.

unless you just like that old tape sound.

heheh

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/24 13:45:38 (permalink)
You know I'm no pro (but it still needs mentioning) and I only have the Tape Sims provided with Cakewalk Sonar (the new PC one and the old plugin one).

I have played with the PC version quite a bit and really... I'd only use it on a sub mix bus (like drums or bass or whatever... or maybe on the master if I was going for an overall "vintage" feel). I thought that's how those things were supposed to be used. Like pretending you were sending your whole mix out to a two inch tape machine and applying a bit of saturation.

IME so far they actually yank a lot of useful stuff out. There is a bit of gelling and punch that gets introduced (which is why it's cool on some busses or full mixes) but I don't think it would be particularly useful on every track. At first when they first gave us the PC Tape Sim I thought it was great because it made a lot of my stuff sound better but now that I'm really weaselling my way into the various elements of my own mixes (thanks to the advice of guys like Danny and others) it honestly doesn't add shiz... only takes away. Makes it more lo fi or something and less manageable. I still use it but very cautiously and lightly.

Basically if I turn it on/off of whatever bus I've have it on and if things sound better/worse I make my judgement from there. I never mix into it. It's almost like if I need to get something sparser and out of the way of other stuff it's an option. Careful compression and actual saturation tools seem to really be where it's at though.

I think on every track it would just turn into some kind of Tom Waits nightmare... which is cool if that's what you want (and I love those records) but it isn't great for everything fer sure.

Then again it might be perfectly suited for your material. Still probably better at bus level though.

Seriously... I know nuthink and should not be listened to... like AT ALL! Danny's the man and likely said that for a reason.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/24 14:12:50 (permalink)
I'm with Beeps on this. So I guess that makes me with Danny too.

Maybe on a drum or bass buss.

Or not on anything but the final buss.

If and only if I was going for that "vintage" sound.

IOW, I've rarely used TapeEms.
smallstonefan
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/24 14:41:55 (permalink)
Thanks for the responses guys - good stuff! I was amazed at how much was hiding in my mix by using these things, and I'm really glad I was encouraged to turn them off and see what would happen. We see a lot of hype over these plugins, but not always a lot of discussion on their practical use. Thanks for chiming in. :)
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/24 17:23:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joel77 2015/08/26 10:56:35
I have the Nomad tape sim (Magnetic II) and it's excellent. Very easy to overuse because it does tend to add a certain something to tracks listened to in isolation, but of course as we all know listening to tracks in isolation does not a good mix make. So I try to restrict it to just tracks that sound too dry or sterile, or anything that sounds too harsh or brittle. Used sparingly it's great for that. I love it on Moog-style bass parts (e.g. Monark) that sound way too dry on their own. Also great for a bit of gentle compression and grit on drum buses. But contrast is the key. If everything sounds warm and gritty, nothing does. If everything sounds bright and airy, nothing does. Playing hi-fi sounds against lo-fi sounds creates a great balance and adds depth and interest to a mix.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/25 09:32:06 (permalink)
I sometimes add them. For dead cover bands that want to sound like so many boots they've enjoyed over the years, it works ok.

Usually just the drum bus.

Also, remember automation. You can add a nice tape hiss on the count off and slowly roll it out. Just because you want it notable at the start and end doesn't mean you need it in the middle.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/25 10:53:43 (permalink)
Never.

I didn't like what real tape did to my recordings, either. Digital recording was (literally) a revelation. It required a little more work to blend everything nicely, but that was a small price to pay for crisp high end, snappy percussion, complete track separation, precise tone control, punchy bass and pin-drop silence in the quiet parts.

At one point I succumbed to popular online GroupThink and bought what was widely regarded as one of the best tape sims, on the assumption that I must have been missing out on something. I attempted to use it on anything and everything, but every time the mix sounded better without it. It's still there on disk, just in case I ever figure out what I was doing wrong with it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
smallstonefan
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/25 10:59:53 (permalink)
Sounds like that mimics my experience bit - when I pulled them off I wondered why I was using them in the first place!
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/27 02:30:48 (permalink)
See James, you're not alone. I share every word bit says...as I too welcomed digital with open arms. I just think it offers so much more and you can get close enough to an analog sound if you need to. As for tape sims....the only one I'd even consider using would be the UAD Studer. I've said it a million times.....I really believe UAD has it down as far as anything that simulates driven components like saturation, tape drive and even the compression you got from it.

I've not felt the same with anything else I've tried. The saturation I hear in other plugs is digital distortion that isn't even usable or musical. Anyone that has REALLY used tape knows that these plugs claiming to do it fall way short. It's almost like the guys that code this stuff are looking at sheets of stat info only and haven't experienced what it's like to use Ampex 456 at 15 or 30 ips running hot. It doesn't sound like what I've been hearing other than the UAD stuff.

Whatever the case, remember we talked about remedies for things before we use a plugin? This is another one of those situations where you can warm things up just right without using one of these things. In that area, I'm with bats.....I drive what I need to drive the right way as I record using something that was made to distort the right way. If I need to use a tube pre, so be it....at least it will do what I want it to do without giving me digital distortion that just sounds bad.

That said, you WILL find little gizmos here and there that just do "something" to your mix. There are a few hardware pieces that can do this if you run out of your pc into them. Though I don't use them anymore, a few made a difference. And that's just it....they made things sound "different" not necessarily "better". I don't think you need these tape things unless you are really shooting for an analog sound for something specific. If you insist, the only one to use is the Studer and then master through the UAD Ampex machine. You'll be close enough to analog without destructively having it. :)

As for the Slate stuff.....I've paid for the pieces I have so I have the right to say they are terrible. LOL! :) Never thought his drum samples were good enough let alone his processing plugs. His video's are entertaining though...and he can sing pretty well. :)

Anyway, remember....find the cause and come up with a remedy that doesn't entail a band-aide. It's sort of like side chaining.....there are uses for it, but you always lose something. A lot of new guys use this because they simply can't make a kick and bass work at the same time. So they think they fixed the problem with side-chaining when all they did was trade off and cover something up while something else plays. What did they learn? Nothing. It's best to learn how to fix frequency masking before we start throwing side chaining around, ya know? Sort of like throwing on a plug because it seems to "fix something" or make something more appealing to you.

Granted, we can get away with that for certain things. But it's always best when we know what it is fixing and how as well as how we can get the same sound without using devices that degrade our audio. That said, there are times when you may want that. I'm not trying to sway you or anyone else from using this stuff....but as you can see, there are a few respected members that feel the same way. Not that any of us hold any additional weight even in numbers....but as you heard yourself, mixes seem way better without these things.

It reminds me of the BBE days. The BBE came out to be the competition for the Aphex Aural Exciter. Then one day, some dude ran one through his guitar rig....and they couldn't keep these things in stock. Everyone I knew bought one including me. I thought it was making me sound better....but yet I always messed with my tone on a daily basis. One day, mine died....at least I thought it did but I came to find out it didn't....and I took it out of my signal chain and BAM.....I loved my sound again! Now some guys really made it work well....and it did a fair job for me too, but I sounded way better without it. It depends on what amp you use as well as what your core tone had in it before you used it, know what I mean? Anyone with excessive mids usually had success with it.

This is a lot like that. You use something and think you like it...until you shut it down and listen to your core tone. My buddy did that recently with the UAD Ocean Way plug. Yeah, it sounds great....but use it too much and well, your drums will suffer. When he turned it off, his drums sounded good again. We buy into so much hype brother....we miss the obvious....myself included as I've been there and still fall for it from time to time. :) The more I learn....the less I use.

-Danny
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2015/08/27 03:05:08

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/27 10:17:46 (permalink)
Less is best... I find there is to many distractions within a DAW and tend to keep things simple and clean. Like Bat if I want distortion on a guitar I record it that way. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/27 14:34:17 (permalink)
Danny Danzi
 The more I learn....the less I use.

Whoo Hoo! That is good news!

For me it has become, the less I earn, the less I use :)

I was worried I was missing out on the really good stuff...

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/27 18:30:56 (permalink)
One of the things about tape (and console) emulation that seems rarely considered or discussed is that through the entire history of tape recorders for hi-fi/professional/studio use the designers were constantly trying to come up with better designs, better tapes and better techniques.

"Better" meaning tape recording would have wider frequency and dynamic response, less flutter, less hiss, less compression, less saturation, less print-through and crosstalk etc. And that was what the studio market in particular wanted in new recording machines.

In those terms digital recording is unbeatable.

The downside of digital recording is that humans often prefer a subtly different and "distorted" sound of the kind hardware produces as a by-product of it working at all.

As for tape emulators I personally think they are best handled as if you were actually recording to tape at the time that emulated tale machine was in use. Which means keeping track levels low enough not to risk overloading the "tape", and high enough not to get lost in the background noise. The effect of the tape emulation should be almost un-noticable on individual tracks and busses, it's only when multiple tracks are playing back that the effect should make a noticeable difference.

Of course, if you want to use tape emulation to have clearly audible effects for "artistic" purposes, feel free to do so. But if you want the kind of sound pre-digital recordings had, then engineer them like a pre-digital engineer. Which means less is better than more as far as recording chain emulation is concerned.

And as Danny says, after a certain point digital emulations of distortion also sound less appealing, less organic and less musical than analogue hardware circuit created distortion. I've tried pretty much every software guitar rig emulator and I still keep coming back to amps and Sansamps and things like Fuzz Faces because they sound and react differently to the supposed emulations.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/27 20:47:42 (permalink)
What was not so great about the whole tape thing in the past is that everything had to go to tape and everything ended up with that sound.  Which can be fine of course but today we have much better options.  And the main one being we can now effect only part of a mix and that is where using things like this can be great.  Just create a buss and send stuff there that you want to have this effect on and apply it there instead of all over everything.  That sort of defeats the purpose actually.

It is a bit like if you have everything in your mix sounding trebly and toppy then what actually happens is nothing in the end is trebly or toppy.  Nothing stands out because everything is toppy.  (and you also end up with a horribly toppy mix which many do!)  What can really work great in a mix is that most tracks have a warm smooth sound and you only make a few things trebly or toppy.  Then it is like looking into the night sky and seeing most stars at a lower level of brightness but only a few are really bright and they tend to stand out.  (You actually only need extended high end on very few parts!)

You can apply that to tape emulation too.  Just use it sparingly here and there over just one or two parts and then you stand a much better chance of hearing it.  I have a Revox B77 half track high speed mastering machine and to be honest not many tape emulators sound as good really.  I still find it is better to just send that track or buss over to it and back.  (but even so that is a hassle)  But I am sure there are some really great emulators around but then they might cost more too.

I am in the Danny and Bats camp too on this.  Switch it all off and revel in how clear and fantastic your mix actually suddenly sounds.  Who says analog tape recording is the becnchmark.  It might not be actually.  Get back to making the composition, the playing, a fabulous live sound and the capturing really good.  Then you may loose interest in tape emulators.  They may not be important.  Having said that though sometimes some tape saturation can be just the ticket on some parts. But you don't have to do it over the whole mix though.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2015/08/28 02:40:42

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/27 21:59:57 (permalink)
interesting read, and no mention of u-he satin, dunno if any of you demo'd it :)

clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/28 08:27:34 (permalink)
I like to replace compressors with Tape sims sometimes if the comp seems too much or if the drums sound like they have too much high end. (Toontrack products all seem to bright to me for example), but I have found a good thing to do before mixing is to turn everything off (Eq's, comps and reverbs) and just listen to it for a while. I tend to mix as I go...so having this new clear picture is always eye (or ear) opening.
Of course...Danny, Jeff, Bat and Bitflipper far exceed my talent.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/28 10:37:47 (permalink)
I've been using the Waves Kramer Tape running in a parallel bus when finalizing a mix. Very low and blended into the master. It's a nice touch and running parallel doesn't affect the mix space. Would I miss it if I didn't have it? Not likely, but I like it in very small doses.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
smallstonefan
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/28 11:37:56 (permalink)
Dan, that's an interesting approach and one I'd like to play with.

I am DEFINITELY convinced not to use these things everywhere as just a matter of course. In fact, I already sold my Slate VTM and I'm selling the VCC on KVR right now. I really appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts here - veyr good stuff! This dialog has been very different from the hype found everywhere else.

If you're interested, you can hear the final song (without all those saturators) here: https://soundcloud.com/jamesfoxall/ultraviolet

Special thanks to Danny for all of his help! :)
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/28 15:01:41 (permalink)
tlw
One of the things about tape (and console) emulation that seems rarely considered or discussed is that through the entire history of tape recorders for hi-fi/professional/studio use the designers were constantly trying to come up with better designs, better tapes and better techniques.

"Better" meaning tape recording would have wider frequency and dynamic response, less flutter, less hiss, less compression, less saturation, less print-through and crosstalk etc. And that was what the studio market in particular wanted in new recording machines.

In those terms digital recording is unbeatable.

The downside of digital recording is that humans often prefer a subtly different and "distorted" sound of the kind hardware produces as a by-product of it working at all.

As for tape emulators I personally think they are best handled as if you were actually recording to tape at the time that emulated tale machine was in use. Which means keeping track levels low enough not to risk overloading the "tape", and high enough not to get lost in the background noise. The effect of the tape emulation should be almost un-noticable on individual tracks and busses, it's only when multiple tracks are playing back that the effect should make a noticeable difference.

Of course, if you want to use tape emulation to have clearly audible effects for "artistic" purposes, feel free to do so. But if you want the kind of sound pre-digital recordings had, then engineer them like a pre-digital engineer. Which means less is better than more as far as recording chain emulation is concerned.

And as Danny says, after a certain point digital emulations of distortion also sound less appealing, less organic and less musical than analogue hardware circuit created distortion. I've tried pretty much every software guitar rig emulator and I still keep coming back to amps and Sansamps and things like Fuzz Faces because they sound and react differently to the supposed emulations.

Great post, tlw! It's amazing how people think digital is the enemy when in all actuality analog was the one that colored everything. It's funny....I have a few older dudes that are learning Sonar and "the new way to record" with me that are die-hard tape/analog guys. They absolutely hate digital and keep on blaming it for their sounds falling short. What they are learning is....digital is unforgiving when it captures something that isn't such a good sound. Analog and tape machines warmed up sounds that were a bit brittle and the saturation compressed things in a good way.

Even there, a weak sound is a weak sound...even in the tape domain. If anything, the guys are learning to be a bit more careful in how they mic up as well as the instrument sounds they select. This also saves them from working so hard trying to make something work in the mix....which the 4 of them have admitted to over the years. These days I don't spend more than a half hour trying to make a sound work. If it fails, I re-track or sample something. That said I've been lucky as I've not had a 30 minute failure episode in quite a few years. LOL! (Thank God!)

Clint: You should be able to get away with low passing the Toontrack stuff. All their cymbals are a little hissy to my ears. Just create a template where all the drums come in on virtual tracks (stereo if it's easier) and low pass the OH track. Just be careful not to warm it up too much or it will effect the entire kit. Hats you can low pass also...they hiss like a snake most times. LOL!

Though I follow you with the tape thing over the compressor on drums, you definitely want the RIGHT compressor before you make the call to use a tape sim....in MY opinion of course. You'll be better off with a comp than a tape sim adding dullness and drive to your drums....then again, if you want that sound....there is nothing wrong with it. Sometimes drums sound good with a bit o' grit...but me....I like things clean these days. My whole analog life was dull and sort of missing that "smile" in clarity that digital gives me. Don't get me wrong, that's not totally the tape's fault....it's mine as 75% of it was engineer error on my part. Knowing what I know now.....I should fire up my old 2 inch tape....haha...uggh, just the thought of that makes me cringe....and smelling the rubber conditioner and metal cleaner in my mind makes me wanna hang myself. :-Þ

Fog: Never heard of that one...will check it out...then again, the UAD Studer is so amazing, I probably wouldn't get anything else right now and it's rare for me to use the Studer. When I do though, it's close enough to tape for me.

Jeff: You know, some people just like the tape sound better. I remember when CD's first came out. I hated them....I mean really hated them. I didn't get a CD player for 5 years after they came out because I just couldn't like it no matter how hard I tried. But....they didn't have the converters we have now...and everyone was a bit too happy with the high end they could gain. Once I warmed up to the digital sound, nothing I had compared. I listen to an album (all my albums are like mint) and it just seems so lifeless like when I recorded and mixed on tape. The energy just seems to be lacking to me....which is why it makes me wonder why anyone would even want to simulate it or go back? It's just so limited compared to what we can do now. I'm trying to talk James out of even using these things. LOL!! But hey, look at Dan up there....that's a good method to try that I didn't think of using...and he's a pretty darned good engineer. Good tip Dan!

James: You're welcome....you did the work brother and we made a great team! :)

-Danny
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2015/08/28 15:11:41

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
clintmartin
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/28 17:13:54 (permalink)
This thread does make me wonder how many of you have tried Harrison Mixbus? It of course has console emulation and tape saturation. You can choose to not use the tape saturation.
I haven't done much but play around with it, but it does seem to have a very nice sound. I don't ever use the console emulation in Sonar.
I've always thought Harrison would be good to have, but I have only kept my Sonar stuff so far.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/28 17:34:49 (permalink)
Clint I have Harrison Mixbus 3 as well and do use it. But I have found often I have to turn the tape saturation controls right down because I don't like what they do and what they do to the sound.

(Just out of interest I mastered some Hip Hop tracks recently and no matter what I did I could NOT get them sounding right in Harrison Mixbus. I ended up going back to Studio One 3 to master and it just sounded way better.  But that was very genre specific though. Other things I have mastered in Harrison just sounded way better as well)

But yes I do like it in just plain old summing mode. It seems to add a real nice sound over most things and it sounds better to me than most tape emulators.

I am having all sorts of issues with Mixbus 3. It is basically very unstable for me and I have stopped using it all together. Now I do have the 3.0 version and have not done any updates to it as yet but should I guess. They may have resolved a few things. I am starting to think that program is basically written for Linux and everything else is a compromise. Maybe I am wrong don't know.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
clintmartin
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/28 18:13:32 (permalink)
I was having issues too. The interim release 1508 seems much better.
I think Harrison will find it's place with somethings here in the future. I like it. I may use it for mastering more than mixing though. We'll see. It was cheap.

Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/28 20:55:59 (permalink)
I have used mixbus since ardour. Mixbus 3 is getting very close to becoming my main audio workstation. The sound quality is head and shoulders above most anything I have used to date. I am a rabid sonar user but if mixbus comes thru with a notation view, it will be a hard decision to make.
I do use mixbus 3 for quite a bit of mastering here as of late and NO, I don't use any tape saturation in 3 at all.
in sonar, I do use the console emulators quite a bit but not for saturation as much as tonal character for different styles of songs.

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
smallstonefan
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/08/30 18:30:08 (permalink)
I do like what tape does to some specific tracks, so I think I'll experiment with trying it for effect at times. Going to try the Studer in place of the Slate though.

I have broken the habit of putting it on everything! :)
vdd
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 92
Re: Do you use a tape emulator on all of your tracks? 2015/09/06 15:39:41 (permalink)
I use the tape emulation at the busses as well as at the master. The console emulations in every single track. Within each track the configuration varies a little bit to get a unique Sound from MY template.
BUT: I always do two mixes: One without and one with the effects.
Then I check the mixes at a different Location. The results vary: It is a nice touch if the material is something like Metal. If it is acoustic stuff the effects will "destroy" every win you had by using nice mics and preAmps.
My opinion: Great stuff if you want to go (a little bit) LoFi. And very helpful to design your own sound...

S-Plat x64 / i7-4790-3.60GHZ, 32GB RAM, Win 7 x64, Akai MPC Studio, Arturia Microbrute, Doepfer A-100, VTB-1, RME HDSPe
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1