VS 700C communication problem

Author
cladavid
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2015/08/28 12:48:25 (permalink)

VS 700C communication problem

I have a problem with my v700Console that is herassing me for quite a while now...

My set up is : Vs700 console + Rack + sonar x2 producers edition, i have intel core i5 2500k cpu running @3.70Ghz with 16Gb Ram memeory, its a 64 bit system with windows 10 home.

Before i went to windows 10 the system worked very good for years, but this problem allready excisted since windows 7, it came out of the blue without changing anything, everything still works fine, except, my faders wont transfer their input to the software, they follow everything that happens on screen, but when i want to make adjustments to the mix, nothing happens.
Called for hours and hours with our Roland representitive here in Belgium who has a lot of knowledge and patience, trying to figure out what was wrong, installed all the software over and over again, went thru lists in a method of trial and error to find the problem, they even gave me a second VS700 set because they tought my console was broken, but nothing helps... They said they contacted the head office, but that didn't bring any news either...

For one reason or another i can't get the sonar soft to pick up the faders signal...

We installed mid ox, the signal of the faders is coming into the pc but the software doesn't catch it...

this is a very big problem that i come around now by moving the faders on screen with my mouse but this is taking me more tiime then it should...

anybody ever experienced this ? or anybody that nows a solution, i would be glad to send the helper a very good bottle of champagne for the right solution ;)
post edited by cladavid - 2015/08/28 12:59:02

7 Replies Related Threads

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: VS 700C communication problem 2015/08/28 17:23:33 (permalink)
    Hi David,

I have the console and rack running fine, but still on win 7 so I don't know if I can be much of a help but I try ...

If (as you wrote) the hardware is not broken and still sending MIDI messages, it can either be a (A) configuration issue inside Sonar or (B) some other software blocking the messages ...

ad (A):
    I'm sure you tried that but it might be worth double checking how you set everything up in Preferences/Control Surfaces (see here: http://www.rolandus.com/support/knowledge_base/201978869) because it is really easy to have the MIDI I/O confused (don't use "IO (VS-700)", but "CONSOLE (VS-700)") ...

ad (B):
    Are you using any special software alongside that works off the MIDI messages and maybe filters them? I'm asking because I sometimes do this on purpose (run MIDI Translator PRO to remap some keys / add additional functionality) but this does have side effects ...

More speculation ... could you have a MIDI loop going or some MIDI merge functions that overload the MIDI buffers?

Is it just the faders that do not work (i.e. is the control section working? are pan pots working?) ?  Does the problem persist with all other hardware switched off / unplugged but the VS-700C and VS-700R?

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    cladavid
    Re: VS 700C communication problem 2015/08/29 05:18:01 (permalink)
    Hi Bertl,

the problem allready occured in win 7, i'm just looking for answers for so long...  ;)

A) checked that, everything is as it should be.

B) on my system is only the vs700 system with an edirol keyboard(usb) and the adobe creative suite, but nothing else soft or hardware. I use the system to produce radio tv and web commercials.

i have nothing midi connected to the system, just the vs700 and the edirol keyboard thru usb, so no midi loop.

In the beginning this problem popped up,  only transport functions worked all the other buttons did nothing... after several reinstalls with roland on the phone, i managed to get almost everything working again except for the faders...

Now last night i was talking to a friend of mine that worked a week on my system when i was sick, and out of the blue he told me that when he worked on it he tried to get the control surface to work with audition, in wich he partially succeeded... he followed a thread on a forum, but i can't find it and he doesn't remember what he actually changed, the only thing he did remember was that he had to assign every knob to a shortcode in adobe audition... at last after several months i know the cause of this... but i want to find a solution...

i was always thinking that doing a a complete clean reinstall would solve these issues, but it didn't

where do i start solving this issue ?

post edited by cladavid - 2015/08/29 05:29:10
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: VS 700C communication problem 2015/08/29 18:04:39 (permalink)
    it looks like what your friend did was to re-learn / re-assign all MIDI messages to software functionality. this is not what you have to do if you are using the Sonar, it's all there in the VS700 control surface dll ...

Are you using Sonar or Adobe? I'm a bit confused now ... if it is the later I can't help much other than maybe check if my VS-700 is sending the same MIDI messages (if not, it could be a firmware / DIP switch issue) ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: VS 700C communication problem 2015/08/30 03:07:47 (permalink)
    I can propose to check that Sonar Control Surface DLL is really receiving something from the console, then check this "something" is what original Roland DLL expects. That can localize the origin of your problem.

Since Roland DLL does not show what (and either) it receives MIDI messages, you can do the following:
    1) install my DLL (see link in my signature)
    2) add it to the control surfaces list in Sonar, attach it to the same Input as you use for Roland DLL (but do not remove original DLL from the list!)
    3) open Property page for AZ Controller (From Utilities menu)
    4) move some fader, look at "Last MIDI event" section.
    5) Do you see something is changing there? If yes:
    5.a) just touch the fader (without moving it), write down the message you see (if there is a change)
    5.b) move it, write the message
    5.c) release fader, write the message (if there is a change)

Write here your observation from (5).

Note: after the test, please remove AZ Controller from the Control Surfaces list to avoid "side effects" during your normal work.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    cladavid
    Re: VS 700C communication problem 2015/08/30 06:48:14 (permalink)
    @freeflybertl: i use sonar x2 producers edition, but adobe audition is also on the machine as part of the creative suite, i only use it to save certain file types, my friend however always works on audition and tried coupling it to the console when he was working in my studio a few months ago.

@azslow 3: i used midi ox before to do that, but will try your suggestion tomorrow when i am in the studio. Thx !

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: VS 700C communication problem 2015/08/30 09:28:15 (permalink)
    cladavid
    @azslow 3: i used midi ox before to do that, but will try your suggestion tomorrow when i am in the studio. Thx !

Important is not the tool to use but either Touch/Move detection is correct within VS hardware/firmware.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    reza
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re: VS 700C communication problem 2015/08/30 19:54:09 (permalink)
    have you tried on another computer like a laptop to see if you have the same problem? try it and if all were good I think try to reinstall your windows.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1