LockedSonar X3 Studio - Unable to move clips without destruction of others

Author
intro2pete
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2015/08/27 19:01:00 (permalink)

Sonar X3 Studio - Unable to move clips without destruction of others

Hi folks,

Please forgive me if I'm being a total moron asking this, but I just can't overcome this issue.  Blending old/new clips is just not working for me in a way I've found useful in the past with old versions of Sonar and which I thought was the norm...I'm sure this is something simple....but...

Step 1 - Look at the line of hi-hats in the middle...I've dumped a handful which I want to reorganise until I've composed the beat I want.

Step 2 -   I want to move 'HH_004' elsewhere just for the time being, so I highlight, and dump in the channel below to make some space....it now looks like it's blended with the 'kicks' in the channel below. 

Step 3 - So now I want to move it back, but when I do, whatever way I select the clip and drag it back, it takes the 'kicks' with it.....

....so I'm now stuck in an downward spiral of clips blending, overlapping, and moving where I don't want them to.  I swear this never used to happen, and I could move individual audio clips around and overlap without destroying what was under it.  I'm also seeing when I move a clip that was once overlapping a long one it leaves the long one behind cut at the points the shorter clip was, and makes it impossible to move that long clip as one whole clip again.

I just want every audio clip to remain independent, to be able to overlap them and move them at will without ANY blending or cutting going on.  I've played with variations of blend/replace old/new under preferences>customization>editing but still stuck.

......maybe I should have stuck with 'guitar tracks pro'......

Help a dufus out please guys......

4 Replies Related Threads

intro2pete
    Re: Sonar X3 Studio - Unable to move clips without destruction of others 2015/08/28 16:04:58 (permalink)
    ......anybody.....? please..... this must be a total noob issue....
    icontakt
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: Sonar X3 Studio - Unable to move clips without destruction of others 2015/08/29 21:56:02 (permalink)

Hi, these lanes you're seeing in X3 are called Take lanes, which were introduced in X2, replacing the old track layers. Basically, these lanes are designed to avoid clip overlapping (I recommend checking out Take lanes videos on YouTube etc.) So, when you need to move a clip or clips to another lane for the time being, I recommend moving them to an empty lane (the bottom lane, in your case), or you might want to lock only the data of the clips involved (by selecting them and (1) choosing Clip Lock > Lock Data from the right-click menu or (2) choosing "Data Only" from the Lock drop-down in the Clip Properties Inspector, as shown in the image below) beforehand.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    intro2pete
    Re: Sonar X3 Studio - Unable to move clips without destruction of others 2015/09/03 19:32:31 (permalink)
    That's great, thanks so much for your help!
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Sonar X3 Studio - Unable to move clips without destruction of others 2015/09/04 08:14:28 (permalink)
    based on your response I assume this is no longer a problem

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1