Craigslist Rant

Author
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
2015/08/29 14:29:53 (permalink)

Craigslist Rant

Boy do I hate CL. It seems like a necessary evil...I know of no other outlet for trading instruments on a local level. Last night I had a trade for a Seafoam Green, Signature Jeff Beck Strat lined up. I was offering up my LP Premium Plus....fair deal I think. After days of trading photos and information, last night we had a place lined up to meet and make the exchange. An hour before we meet, he text's me to say, "Hang on a bit, I need more time to rethink this." Not to be heard from again. I can't tell you how many times I have had sales and trades lined up on CL, with various instruments, over the years....and this same type of stuff always goes on.

The other thing that just chaps me is the low balling. "I'll give you $300 for that LP Premium Plus." Then there are all the guys trying to sell their used instruments for over "new" retail value. What a whooping that place is.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI

24 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/29 14:38:24 (permalink)
    Every item I've ever listed on CL has sold without a hitch.

Alesis Surge cymbals
    Berhinger Bass Module
    Berhinger 8 channel preamp

michaelhanson
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/29 14:56:20 (permalink)
    My bass boat was the smoothest sale I ever made on CL.  I had a dozen phone numbers lined up of people that wanted to buy it.  The first guy shows up and wants to negotiate on the price once he is at my house.  I showed him the list of phone numbers.  He quickly turned over the cash.  Afterwards, I thought to myself....I might have let that boat go too low. 

Mike

iTunes:

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    bapu
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/29 14:57:12 (permalink)
    How many strings did that boat have?
    michaelhanson
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/29 15:06:34 (permalink)
    14lb....mostly. Some wound up in the Minnkota.

Mike

iTunes:

BMI
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/29 16:52:36 (permalink)
    I've sold literally over a hundred items on MyList () with very few weird things happening.  I've also gotten good at upselling other things I want to get rid of (many that I haven't gotten around to even putting up for sale yet) once the person stops by.

Now eBay is another story.  I've stopped selling there after the last thing I sold COST ME $6 to get rid of!  Between the eBay and PayPal fees (both of which are calculated on the GROSS sale so I'm being waxed on shipping money I don't get to keep), as well as the extremely high (and incorrectly calculated) shipping costs, it's just not worth it.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Gone!!
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 797
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/29 19:38:53 (permalink)
    I don't know how he finds the time to do all this, what with helping out at the forums, his work with Gibson, traveling around everywhere giving seminars/lectures, trade shows, writing articles for magazines, finding time to do his own music would be hard enough, let alone setting something like this up to help everyone sell their gear, the man is a machine !!!

or have I missed something here ?
    KenB123
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1229
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/29 20:58:56 (permalink)
    My wife has successfully sold on CL with good results. My one attempt still riles me. Not really CL fault. Just an ignorant buyer. Was selling an outdoor Christmas nativity display (handmade, 8 piece set). Guy called and was interested (a local sale). Wanted to come the following day to check it out. My only request was to please let me know if he couldn't make it. "Sure. No problem". Next day about an hour before the appointed time, I carry these rather large pieces (piece sizes ranging from child-height to as tall as an adult) up from the basement storage. And then wait. Well after about an hour beyond the appointed time I gave up and dragged them back down to storage. Just a quick courtesy phone call was all I asked for. Gosh darn xxxxx.

Broken pencils are pointless.

WIN-7 64-bit; Sonar X2A 64-bit; 12GB RAM; ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB; Intel Core i7-960; 300GB-OS (10000-RPM); 1TB-Projects (7200-RPM); 1TB-Samples (7200-RPM) 

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/29 23:05:06 (permalink)
    jih64
    I don't know how he finds the time to do all this, what with helping out at the forums, his work with Gibson, traveling around everywhere giving seminars/lectures, trade shows, writing articles for magazines, finding time to do his own music would be hard enough, let alone setting something like this up to help everyone sell their gear, the man is a machine !!!

or have I missed something here ?

You get a gold star for creative use of white-space. Well done, you.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    craigb
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/29 23:32:28 (permalink)
    That's the sheet music to John Cage's 4'33". 

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/30 03:37:48 (permalink)
    craigb

Now eBay is another story.  I've stopped selling there after the last thing I sold COST ME $6 to get rid of!  Between the eBay and PayPal fees (both of which are calculated on the GROSS sale so I'm being waxed on shipping money I don't get to keep), as well as the extremely high (and incorrectly calculated) shipping costs, it's just not worth it.

+1. eBay is just a minefield for sellers now, the last couple of transactions I did there were enough hassle to put me off for good.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    craigb
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/30 05:11:01 (permalink)
    * PROG INTERLUDE! *

Hey James, I couldn't find the whole album on YouBoob, but if you can find one of the streaming places that has Tin Spirits - Scorch, give it a listen! 

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/30 12:41:35 (permalink)
    craigb
    * PROG INTERLUDE! *

Hey James, I couldn't find the whole album on YouBoob, but if you can find one of the streaming places that has Tin Spirits - Scorch, give it a listen! 

I've got it Craig, it's excellent isn't it? My pal and fellow Nettlesmith Tim Wilkinson designed the cover too.

(Coincidentally I just got changed and put on my Tin Spirits 'Wired to Earth T-shirt, also designed by Tim )
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2015/08/30 12:51:49

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/30 13:08:30 (permalink)
    CraigsList. Isn't that the one with lost cats listings for free, and underage girls for sale?
    craigb
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/30 18:34:29 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
    CraigsList. Isn't that the one with lost cats listings for free, and underage girls for sale?

And, sometimes, vice versa! 

craigb
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/30 18:36:23 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    craigb
    * PROG INTERLUDE! *

I've got it Craig, it's excellent isn't it? My pal and fellow Nettlesmith Tim Wilkinson designed the cover too.

(Coincidentally I just got changed and put on my Tin Spirits 'Wired to Earth T-shirt, also designed by Tim )

Cool!  I love little tie-ins like that. 

I went from that to Johnny Mar's solo works and now I'm listening to some Amon Duul (which will probably be followed by II and III).

bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/31 08:02:50 (permalink)
    I have always had good luck with craigslist. That is until a good friend and bass player was brutally murdered by a roommate he acquired from craigslist. Stabbed and set fire. I no longer consider CL an option.

Rocky
    bapu
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/08/31 13:31:27 (permalink)
    bluzdog
    I have always had good luck with craigslist. That is until a good friend and bass player was brutally murdered by a roommate he acquired from craigslist. Stabbed and set fire. I no longer consider CL an option.

Rocky

That is so sad to hear Rocky.
    voicelogic.com
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/09/13 12:48:51 (permalink)
    ebay and kijiji have never been a problem.
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/09/13 14:40:39 (permalink)
    I've heard CL called "Murderlist" on numerous occasions and for good reason. Like Rocky's friend, a lot of people have met a tragic end through answering or placing ads on Craigslist. I read CL related murder stories in the news quite regularly. My own experience of Craigslist comes from years ago when I first moved to New York and lived in apartment shares for the first couple of years. I met so many weirdos and fruitcakes and downright shifty people through answering CL ads. From the creepy old guy who put his hand on my knee and asked if I had a washboard stomach, to the filthy old guy whose apartment was stacked floor to ceiling with piles of old newspapers and who told me that if I brought an air conditioner into the apartment there would be violence. I also remember at the time there was a guy on Roosevelt Island in Queens who was luring girls over to his apartment on the pretense of a cheap room in a luxury apartment. He would show them into the room, turn off the light lock the door and refuse to let them out until they kissed him.

I realize that a lot of people have good experiences with Craigslist, personally though I just see it as a magnet for freaks and monsters.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    craigb
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/09/13 14:55:18 (permalink)
    Gee, I've only had really nice people to deal with.  Maybe it's just you, Sharke, (or New York!). 

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/09/14 03:28:56 (permalink)
    I have mixed feelings about C L …..on the good side ,
    I was able to pick up the whole complete boxed set of Logic Pro 9 for 80 bucks …
    Met the seller in a Target parking lot w my dog …after we met up we hung out shooting the breeze for a while .
    I had payed him up front what he was asking and when it was time to go , he said he enjoyed hanging out w me and my dog and gave me some of my money back ….I was happy he did that , thats how I got it for 80 bucks 

Also had a couple of other good interactions and OK deals ….

The rest of the time it was just a complete waste of my time and energy ..
    I would have stood a better chance making deals out in the middle of the Sahara Desert sitting on a Camel in the hot Sun wearing a Turban … 

I walk a real straight line and I'm not into playing games , it seems that just about every other time I tried to acquire something through CL I ran across some really flaky SCAMER  type people ….even their effing games had trap doors and hidden secret passage ways in them ….

I don't put up with those type of people in my life and there is no deal anywhere worth that type of aggravation  

Kenny 
    post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/09/14 03:45:37

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/09/14 10:13:28 (permalink)
    craigb
    Gee, I've only had really nice people to deal with.  Maybe it's just you, Sharke, (or New York!). 

Actually most of the Craigslist murders I've heard about have been outside New York. I should imagine the Florida CL scene is interesting....

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    michaelhanson
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/09/14 16:58:17 (permalink)
    So, to follow up with my story.  The same guy with the Jeff Beck Signature strat, surfaced again after 2 weeks of non-contact.  He initiates the contact again by texting me.  Wants to know if I am still interested.  I had not made a deal yet, so I said...."Sure, still interested.  This time I would like to see pictures, though."  2-3 days went by and there was nothing from him.  I had given up, when up pop a couple of pictures.  The guitar looked really nice.  So, I said..."I'll meet you tomorrow....you tell me where."  Nothing.  Several days go by again.  I finally send him a text and say...."Dude, are you wanting to do this trade or not?"  Several more days go by, then I get a text out of the blue..."What trade, whats it worth to you?"  

I just responded...."don't worry about it dude....I've got another deal in the works."  Wow....is all I can say.  

Mike

iTunes:

BMI
    craigb
    Re: Craigslist Rant 2015/09/14 21:53:24 (permalink)
    That sounds fairly normal for out here where pot is legal! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1