[Beginner] Audio Setup

Author
Simons
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2015/08/30 07:30:42 (permalink)

[Beginner] Audio Setup

Hello folks,

So back in December I bought my self a XLR microphone (MXL V67G) and just recently I wanted to get it to actual use, for my video recording on YouTube, however I ended up ''by accident'' getting an analog mixer which were cheaper than equalant USB equipped mixers.

Now heres the thing, the one I've found that has USB built in, costs an additional 30£ if not even more, and that is the Alesis Multimix 4 USB, and now here comes my question, would I be better suited just using what I have now and get whatever it requires to plug it to the computer?

Further more, can someone explain which port I should use to connect the output of the microphone to the computer, and what sort of cables and/or adapters I need?
The manual recommends their more expensive solution (in my opinion it gets expensive, when it just keeps adding on), that costs 20-30£ + cables.

Current Setup (NOT COMPLETED): Behringer Xenyx 802 & MXL V67G.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 Replies Related Threads

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: [Beginner] Audio Setup 2015/08/30 08:13:48 (permalink)
    To get audio into the computer you need an audio interface. The USB mixers have one built in, but they are often not ideal for quite a lot if reasons, especially if they only send a stereo feed to the computer and you need to record more than one source at a time.

PC built-in sound cards can be used, but are again not ideal, especially if you need to record audio rather than just use samples or software synths. Their mic inputs in particular are poor quality and noisy, but if all you need to do is spoken word voice-overs as cheaply as possible running a suitable adaptor lead from the mixer outs to the PC's line in might be worth a try. The lead needs a stereo minijack on one end and a pair of jacks ir XLRs on the other.

If however all you want to record and mix multi-track audio then that requires something better, especially if you need it to sound OK on sysyems other than the one you recorded it on. It would help to know more about what you have in mind.

As for cables, if you're in the UK (using £s means I guess you are) Studio Spares do a huge range at decent prices. Their own "economy" range is pretty good if you need mic and patch leads and doesn't cost much if any more than making up the cables yourself. There's a lot of nonsense talked about cables, especially in the weird world of very expensive "hi-fi". For mic and patch leads all that's needed is a basic cable that's low noise. Personally I go for oxygen-free copper (OFC), which doesn't improve the audio quality but means the copper has been treated to remove the oxygen that's usually present in it so the cable's don't oxidise and rot away internally.

There are people round here who think even that's going over the top and they're probably right :-)

Guitar/bass leads are different though, they have requirements of their own.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Simons
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: [Beginner] Audio Setup 2015/08/30 09:23:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the answer, the use of the device is for voice over and voice-audio for my videos recorded with my Nikon D3100. So it doesn't need to be 100% flawless, I understand there may be noise but honestly, this room I am sitting in, is probably not even ideal for it in the first place, anyways.. Would you suggest buying 2x RCA to Minijack and putting the 2x RCA into 2-Track Output Left & Right (White & Red), and the minijack into your microphone jack on the soundcard?

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1