Singing & Asthma

Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2015/08/28 22:16:51 (permalink)

Singing & Asthma

Hi!

I was recently diagnosed with asthma and my respiratory doctor put me on Symbicort. It's an inhaler. I'm to use it every day, 2 blasts, twice a day. Since it has a steroid in it, I have to rinse my mouth out with water or mouthwash after I use it to avoid getting thrush. I also use albuteral for a rescue inhaler, but I only need that when I have a bad attack (not very often). The Symbicort has made my voice breathy and thin and I'm worried that when my dream studio is finished in a few more weeks (addition to house) I won't be able to sing. I also run out of breath sooner than I used to when speaking and I imagine that will only be worse when singing. I know one thing;It won't sound the same. It might be an improvement but I won't know until I really lay something down. I just know that I've been practicing lately and I don't like how it sounds or feels. Any suggestions? Has anybody else struggled with this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.
JB
post edited by Johnbee58 - 2015/08/28 22:25:45

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007

9 Replies Related Threads

Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Singing & Asthma 2015/08/29 15:47:39 (permalink)
    The symbicort may take a couple of weeks to kick in. Make sure you hold your neck fully up at an angle when you take it,and hold your breath as long as possible afterwards.

Half the issue is getting the crap out of your lungs in the morning and evening. You will probably end up forcing yourself to do it, not pleasant. Albuteral expands the lungs and aids in this, but of course should not be taken regularly. Don't take it during a vocal but the night before it can help clear a lot of crap out (about 30 mins after you have taken it).

I don't know how bad it is but asthma is generaly manageable.

Take it from the Doktor.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    Johnbee58
    Re: Singing & Asthma 2015/08/29 16:12:39 (permalink)
    Hi Doc.  Thanks.

I guess I didn't mention I've been taking the Symbicort about maybe 2 months now.  I've been doing it as you say.  I take the albuterol ONLY when I'm having an attack.  This happens maybe once a week or once every two weeks, but I keep it with me at all times but only use it if I absolutely have to.  The Symbicort is every day.  Two hits in the AM when I get up and two hits at night before bed.  My throat is not sore nor is my airway but my voice comes out breathy and thinner that it was before I started the medication.  I'm also taking notice that I run out of breath faster so if I'm singing, I must either take deeper breaths or breathe more in between lines.  I can handle this but the thinning of my voice worries me.  I don't have as much control when I sing as I used to just a few months ago. It almost sounds like I'm half whispering now.  This is not its usual characteristic.  It used to be a much more solid tone.

JB
    post edited by Johnbee58 - 2015/08/29 16:22:45

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
    NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
    RSMCGUITAR
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re: Singing & Asthma 2015/08/30 23:23:11 (permalink)
    I find symbicort makes me feel like I have to clear my throat every time I try to talk. I hate it but it does work. I've used an inhaler called advair that worked just as well and caused no throat problems.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Singing & Asthma 2015/08/31 10:02:13 (permalink)
    Doctors sometimes suggest those suffering from asthma take up a wind instrument.
    It gets you breathing... while not focused solely on the symptoms.  

Many singers have to work around asthma (Suzanne Vega comes to mind).
    I deal with mild asthma (though I don't use inhalers/etc).
    I have to remember to breathe where I can (deep breaths if possible).
    At first, there were nights it was tough getting thru a four hour show.
    Now... it's not a big deal.  
    Had to drop the idea of playing Animals by Nickelback.  That song is relentless when trying to breathe!
    (Insert your favorite Nickelback joke here.)

Being relaxed promotes easy breathing.
    Arrive at the gig with plenty of time for setup, have backups, and keep the vibe positive.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Johnbee58
    Re: Singing & Asthma 2015/08/31 10:13:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input, all.  Yes, I too have issues with throat clearing with Symbicort.  Several times a day my throat just seems to dry out and it seems to take forever to clear it out, though there is an improvement in the congestion in my windpipe that I experienced for awhile.  I asked my respiratory doc about other alternatives to Symbicort but he seems hesitant to try anything else.  I believe Advair is more for COPD (which I don't have).  I asked both my lung doc and GP about the singing factor and the lung doc just suggested gargleing with salt water after I use it.  Seems like a lot of extra work but it would be worth it if it helps my singing pipes.

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Singing & Asthma 2015/08/31 13:02:21 (permalink)
    i think symbicort is one of the worst drugs on the market.

that said, some folks have no choice but use it...

all of those inhalers,
    are just going to ruin your voice,
    my mother had copd and used several of those types of inhalers,
    and it turned her voice into the chipmunks voice..

if you are a singer,
    and want to continue singing,
    i'd find ANYTHING ELSE to try to use

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Zargg
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Singing & Asthma 2015/09/27 12:27:29 (permalink)
    Hi. I found that singing (over time) helped my breathing. I use Seretide two times a day, and Ventoline for emergencies (been using it for 13 years). But I have days that my voice will not cooperate on low and high notes, but in between is ok. And being able to relax is vital for me, when singing.
    All the best.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: Singing & Asthma 2015/10/08 16:09:16 (permalink)
    I'm on two shots of Advair a day and I too experience a softening and phlegminess of my voice so I'm not sure switching from symbicort will do you much good. Gargling does help, but the only thing that really helps is to cut to once in the morning, then restrict singing to evenings.  My asthma isn't very bad so I get away with modifying the regimen a bit. It's definitely the meds doing it.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Singing & Asthma 2015/11/05 09:11:51 (permalink)
    Try using a spacer. It's a device that you place between the inhaler and your mouth. It is shaped like a football and provides a greater air to medicine volume so irritates the mouth and throat less and also reduces the need for having to wash your mouth out.

Talk to your pharmacist about it. It helped me a great deal when placed on steroid inhalers. The other thing to consider snider is that you don't have to stay on the steroid inhaler all the time. For example. I know the triggers and cycle of my asthma pretty well. When I notice a frequency of chest tightness wheezing and other triggers or symptoms increase I start using my steroid inhaler. Once it's under control I stop taking it. It gives me better response to the steroid inhaler if I'm only on it for a few weeks rather than full time. Whatever works best for you it's important to have a plan worked out. One that doesn't have you on maximum mess all the time.
    post edited by mudgel - 2015/11/05 09:23:19

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1