Helpful ReplySerious problems in controller pane.

Author
luna004
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2015/08/31 22:55:27 (permalink)

Serious problems in controller pane.

Hi, I'm orchestrater require detail MIDI CC editing.

Please understand my skill in English.. Please watch this video.

https://youtu.be/jeJ1JU1r-y8

Problem 1.
You have to go way outside the current value to start drawing, and then draw up or down into your chosen area. Unlike the old sonar, new sonar does not have the option to be able to off the value handle.

Problem 2.
And freehand draw tool does nothing in that grab area near last value, while draw tool grabs the last value and moves it. It's not freehand anymore. We want "don't grab, just draw".

Problem 3.
As the length of the music increases, limping phenomenon occurs. The length of the music is more than 2 minutes and work becomes almost impossible even high-end computer. But, if you hide the controller pane, there is no limping.
This is a chronic problem in sonar.

This is a serious problem that must be addressed, but cakewalk has not give attention.. Even in this patch it does not fixed. So I ask for your help.
Please request to CW with me for fix this issues.
post edited by luna004 - 2015/09/03 02:32:46
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/01 00:56:15 (permalink)
The workaround for (1) and (2) is to convert the MIDI shapes into envelopes, and edit them in track view (using the inline PRV) as you would other automation envelopes.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/01 04:18:34 (permalink)
It would be way better if CW fixed the horrible controller pane.   the work-around proposed by Anderton is one possibility, I don't personally like it at all;  I make do with fiddling with controller pane sizes constantly. 
BRainbow
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/01 05:33:36 (permalink)
I totally agree, William.  I thought this was just my problem.  This worked in Cakewalk so much better a long time ago, in versions before the Sonar name was adopted.  Now you have to fight with the drawing tools to even get them to start working.

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
DRanck
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 608
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/01 09:50:39 (permalink)
I edit CCs exclusively as automation envelopes. I find there are a number of advantages such as using curves and not having to draw individual points. It is also MUCH easier to edit later on. It works very well for me.

My Sound Cloud
Website
Youtube Channel
The way that I've always gone about making music, the rule of thumb, has just been to make what I love.
Amy Lee

Sonar Pro 64 (Newburyport), Akai Pro MPK 88, i7-4770K, ASUS Z87-PRO V,  32GB SDRAM 1866, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 2 - WD BLACK 2TB, Samsung USB 3.0 SSD, Win 10 Pro 64, Radeon R9 270 Video 2GB, Dell P2314T 23" Touchscreen, Gateway 23" monitor, Presonus USB Audio Interface, Surface Pro 2 w/ Xotopad as a control surface
Anderton
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/01 09:58:42 (permalink)
DRanck
I edit CCs exclusively as automation envelopes. I find there are a number of advantages such as using curves and not having to draw individual points. It is also MUCH easier to edit later on. It works very well for me.

The takeaway for me is SONAR has three very different ways to edit controllers. Each has its strengths and limitations for particular applications. I find automation envelopes work best for detailed editing but then again, I work a lot with audio automation so the process is comfortable for me.

FWIW I wrote an upcoming column for Sound on Sound analyzing the three different methods and their suitability for various scenarios. That said, it seems a feature request for a modifier key that changes the Draw tool behavior to "don't grab, just draw" would accommodate those who want to remain in the main PRV Controller pane.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
DRanck
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 608
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/01 14:31:47 (permalink)
Craig,

What might be nice but more ambitious would be the ability to use automation-like envelopes to draw on controllers in the PRV 😊

My Sound Cloud
Website
Youtube Channel
The way that I've always gone about making music, the rule of thumb, has just been to make what I love.
Amy Lee

Sonar Pro 64 (Newburyport), Akai Pro MPK 88, i7-4770K, ASUS Z87-PRO V,  32GB SDRAM 1866, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 2 - WD BLACK 2TB, Samsung USB 3.0 SSD, Win 10 Pro 64, Radeon R9 270 Video 2GB, Dell P2314T 23" Touchscreen, Gateway 23" monitor, Presonus USB Audio Interface, Surface Pro 2 w/ Xotopad as a control surface
luna004
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/01 18:27:32 (permalink)
Anderton's way is also nice, but does not seem to be second best to catch up with the work speed of the main PRV. The reason use the pianoroll because can edit or see all track's note, CC and velocity at the same time in one screen.
post edited by luna004 - 2015/09/02 10:57:17
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 08:31:24 (permalink)
The new CC draw method used in the PRV certainly do look nice, and it is easier to see the current value this way, but the draw slowdown that occurs with lots of pitch wheel data is pretty bad. If I thin it out, it gets better, but I never saw a slowdown using the old draw method.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
luna004
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 09:53:05 (permalink)
dcumpian
The new CC draw method used in the PRV certainly do look nice, and it is easier to see the current value this way, but the draw slowdown that occurs with lots of pitch wheel data is pretty bad. If I thin it out, it gets better, but I never saw a slowdown using the old draw method.

Dan

I agree Dan.
It seems to be a problem related to graphics processing. It requires optimization. The music is played without a problem, but phenomenon that fps is low because of all CC data that is not visible on the screen can not be seen in other DAW.

Lots of CC data is very important for precise orchestration. If sonar is not anymore have the ability to effectively accommodate the dozens of orchestral instruments with CC data formation, I will not hesitate to use other DAW even though I've used cakewalk for 10 years.
CW must consider users like me.
post edited by luna004 - 2015/09/02 18:51:02
williamcopper
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 12:25:28 (permalink)
Another reason I don't like the in-line method (beyond overlap of controllers) is that I almost always work with a small group of tracks at the same time, so jumping to a single track is disorienting and interferes with concentration on a task.   The use of envelope-drawing functions within a controller pane channel (lane, or what ever you call it) would be fine, the drawing tools are far better for envelopes than for controllers.     Sonar is the worst in this regard among ALL other Daws that i'm aware of, so the promotional people might change "world's best DAW" to "world's worst DAW"  
luna004
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 18:17:21 (permalink)
Thank you guys.
post edited by luna004 - 2015/09/03 00:39:07
luna004
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 18:17:22 (permalink)
Please request to headquarters with me. There is still time until the next patch.
post edited by luna004 - 2015/09/03 00:38:19
Anderton
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 21:07:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vastman 2015/09/03 01:19:53
williamcopper
Another reason I don't like the in-line method (beyond overlap of controllers)

Each automation controller can have its own lane. They don't have to overlap .

...is that I almost always work with a small group of tracks at the same time, so jumping to a single track is disorienting and interferes with concentration on a task.

Shift-Z in track view. Show as much or as little of the track you're working on compared to the other tracks, and as much or as little of the other tracks as you want. Knowing how to use this function, combined with screensets, makes it easy to create different editing environments.

This isn't to say that improvements can't be made, but there are three distinct and very different ways to edit MIDI controllers. I find that at least one of them will work for every controller editing scenario I've encountered.

i realize you enjoy hyperbole, but if you truly feel SONAR should be advertised as the "world's worst DAW," perhaps you would be happier if you used what you consider the world's best DAW. 

luna004
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 22:00:03 (permalink)
I have to rely on the translator because I do not know English well, but I think that this remark of Williams means that the problem is serious enough to worsen the reputation of sonar. Of course they are a great way to replace, CW should not overlook these problems like bugs in order to leave the best DAW.
post edited by luna004 - 2015/09/02 22:16:57
Anderton
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 22:12:20 (permalink)
당신의 문은 말보다 더 의미가있다 "SONAR는 세계에서 최악의 DAW입니다." 

luna004
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 22:36:11 (permalink)
I am sad to hear that. I've been thinking sonar always the best DAW, William thought would be the same. The future of the reputation of sonar depends on the action of CW.
I reported the issues to CW, waiting for the reply.
post edited by luna004 - 2015/09/02 22:45:10
Anderton
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 22:47:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vastman 2015/09/03 01:21:19
Cakewalk is always looking for ways to improve SONAR. Whether changes happen or not depends on whether enough people want a change, and whether those people agree on what the change should be.

I like using automation lanes when I need to edit lots of controllers easily, and use the PRV for an overview or when I need to edit only a few controllers. Different people have different ways of working with SONAR.

It will not be possible to please everyone and every way of working. That is why I wonder why someone who thinks SONAR should be marketed as the "world's worst DAW" is not using what he thinks is the world's best DAW. If I think someone makes the "world's worst music," I won't listen to it. I'll listen to music that I like.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 23:01:41 (permalink)
Actually its an insult to both CW and us users. Some few members seem to think doing so is a sign of their superior grasp of the issue. I have no problem with pointing out something that could be improved or a way to do that improvement. I have put in feature requests and I know that Mr. Anderton has too. 

On the other hand it is a discussion stopper when a statement of the sort above is made where "its the worlds worst DAW" is dropped in as if a bomb to a peaceful forum. All credibility of the speaker is instantly lost.

I no longer want to listen to them. It hurts them not Sonar or CW.  

Best
John
luna004
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/02 23:06:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2015/09/03 09:14:28
Totally I agree. I would note for this forum.
Anyway in my opinion, if someone finds a bug in the part that is not used often, if it was very important to him, the company should not ignore his comments.

CW has promised to respond faster to problems through a new monthly update, I'm looking forward to that system can not be seen in any company.

I'm looking for users in the same situation with me. I can wait even if it take some time.
post edited by luna004 - 2015/09/02 23:46:57
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/03 01:17:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2015/09/03 09:14:24
John
Actually its an insult to both CW and us users. Some few members seem to think doing so is a sign of their superior grasp of the issue. I have no problem with pointing out something that could be improved or a way to do that improvement. I have put in feature requests and I know that Mr. Anderton has too. 

On the other hand it is a discussion stopper when a statement of the sort above is made where "its the worlds worst DAW" is dropped in as if a bomb to a peaceful forum. All credibility of the speaker is instantly lost.

I no longer want to listen to them. It hurts them not Sonar or CW.  

I agree... there are a select group of folks that I no longer listen to as they spew garbage rather than offer useful insights...They'll interject themselves into a thread, generally show an incomplete understanding of a situation and rant... I consider them little flamers with sad little egos;  You said it more eloquently than me, John...

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Anderton
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/03 22:06:21 (permalink)
Vastman
I consider them little flamers with sad little egos;  You said it more eloquently than me, John...

I wouldn't be too critical, it might be simpler than that. Some people exhibit solipsistic tendencies, which in philosophy, is a theory that only the self exists. The way it manifests itself in everyday life is an extreme preoccupation with one's feelings and desires; although it's often related to extreme egotism, it's more about egoistic self-absorption. Therefore, anything the self requires is surely what everyone else requires, and the way other people do things is inherently the "wrong" way because it is not seen through the lens of the viewer's self.

Solipsistic people will often say the same things over and over and over and over again. It's because they simply cannot understand why expressing their desire for something isn't sufficient to have that desire implemented, as they believe it is equally important to everyone. Therefore, they can only conclude that no one heard them, and they must therefore say it again.  

This is becoming more of an issue in society as there's a greater sense of individual entitlement, accompanied by the fraying of a sense of community. The opposite tack is looking at the health of the community as a whole, which is why I advocate for features that don't affect me at all. This isn't to say that the sense of individual entitlement can't produce valid requests, but the validity depends on how much that request recognizes a bona fide need, and how much is an unwillingness to look beyond the needs of the self.

Our friend from Korea has followed a sensible path. He would like a particular implementation, and has stated so. He probably recognizes that the universe of SONAR users who employ extensive amounts of controllers and for whatever reason must stay in the PRV may be small, but that accommodating these people would open up SONAR to another group of users. Therefore, he adds his voice to those making a particular request, and hopes that enough others feel similarly that this change will be made.

On the other hand, he probably couldn't care less about Drum Maps, which is important to people as well. Therefore, Cakewalk - not being able to implement all requests - has to make decisions about which features will be the most beneficial to the community as a whole.

luna004
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/03 23:59:01 (permalink)
I've interpreted your article for an hour, I fully understand your mind. You are a good man!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/04 01:48:26 (permalink)
luna004
I've interpreted your article for an hour, I fully understand your mind. You are a good man!

Luna you are also a good person. We have no argument with you or your posts. It is your ability to understand that makes you a good person. Thank you.

Best
John
luna004
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/04 07:09:08 (permalink)
Thank you very much, John!
williamcopper
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/04 07:16:51 (permalink)
I'm sorry my joke was not funny.   My somewhat serious point was: in this regard, this particular feature, Sonar really is worst of any DAW I know.    I didn't mean to say that sonar is overall worst, by any means, not even jokingly.   I hope everyone sees "Best DAW" on cakewalk's promotional materials, though it might be nice if that phrase were retired since public opinion does not seem to support it.  
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/04 21:29:10 (permalink)
Anderton
I wouldn't be too critical, it might be simpler than that. Some people exhibit solipsistic tendencies, which in philosophy, is a theory that only the self exists. The way it manifests itself in everyday life is an extreme preoccupation with one's feelings and desires; although it's often related to extreme egotism, it's more about egoistic self-absorption. Therefore, anything the self requires is surely what everyone else requires, and the way other people do things is inherently the "wrong" way because it is not seen through the lens of the viewer's self.

Solipsistic people will often say the same things over and over and over and over again. It's because they simply cannot understand why expressing their desire for something isn't sufficient to have that desire implemented, as they believe it is equally important to everyone. Therefore, they can only conclude that no one heard them, and they must therefore say it again.  

This is becoming more of an issue in society as there's a greater sense of individual entitlement, accompanied by the fraying of a sense of community. The opposite tack is looking at the health of the community as a whole, which is why I advocate for features that don't affect me at all. This isn't to say that the sense of individual entitlement can't produce valid requests, but the validity depends on how much that request recognizes a bona fide need, and how much is an unwillingness to look beyond the needs of the self...

Hi Craig-

This is one reason I don't spend much time here nowadays. Maybe you didn't mean this as an ad hominem attack, but it sure sounded like one to me.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
Anderton
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/04 23:16:59 (permalink)
Susan G

Hi Craig-

This is one reason I don't spend much time here nowadays. Maybe you didn't mean this as an ad hominem attack, but it sure sounded like one to me.

-Susan

You're welcome to interpret what I wrote any way you want. But I would prefer that you re-read the post before mine to which I responded, which said:

"I agree... there are a select group of folks that I no longer listen to as they spew garbage rather than offer useful insights...They'll interject themselves into a thread, generally show an incomplete understanding of a situation and rant... I consider them little flamers with sad little egos..."

My post started off with "I wouldn't be too critical, it might be simpler than that" and I mentioned tendencies and related it to society as a whole. You don't have to be Einstein to see the preoccupation with self in today's world - hence words like "selfie," the preoccupation with "likes" on Facebook, the refusal to interact with other people except through text messages which are not a dialog, but serial monologues under the control of the sender. I even said that "This isn't to say that the sense of individual entitlement can't produce valid requests, but the validity depends on how much that request recognizes a bona fide need, and how much is an unwillingness to look beyond the needs of the self."

What I wrote certainly seems devoid of value judgments. My goal was to try to explain the motivations and mindset of (not in MY words) "a select group of folks that I no longer listen to as they spew garbage rather than offer useful insights."

I wish you would take what I write at face value rather than judging based on what something "sounded like" to you. I really do try to be very clear with the words I choose.

99% of my posts here are dedicated to answering questions and helping people. However I am a human being and subject to being buffeted by events in my life that involve death, stress, and illness. These provide a sense of perspective that make me feel that some petty comments some people make in this forum, and the lack of consideration for the community (e.g., especially the guy who used the community as his own personal manual because his time was "too important" to look for answers himself - thus assigning no value to the time people took in good faith to help him), provide nothing constructive.

I've been hosting internet forums continuously for 20 years that have accumulated well over a half million posts. People who are allowed free reign for mindless negativity (I'm speaking generally here, so please don't read anything into that) are like a cancer that will infect a forum over time. Someone has to serve as a bouncer to stand up to these people before they take root. Being a bouncer is not fun. As the old saying goes, "never wrestle with a pig. You'll just get dirty, and the pig likes it." And sometimes you look like a bad guy because you decked someone and threw him out of the club. But it lets the remaining people in the club have a more enjoyable experience.

I stopped posting for a while because I just couldn't stand to visit the forum and see what I was reading from some posts. I made me so disappointed in people. What kind of a world do they want to create? A world where all that matters is self-gratification, and where a cohesive society has no inherent value?

You're perfectly free to judge based on how you interpret words, and I welcome your comments, because it gives me an opportunity to remind you of the post to which I was responding. But I think if you re-read what I said, none of it was judgmental; the first two paragraphs were more academic than anything else, then segued into society as whole, pointed out an example of what I thought was a good way to effect change, and closed with a practical example. I make no apologies for that, but clearly, it's time for me to stay away from this place again (other than the tip of the week, which I promised Andrew I would do) if trying to explain peoples' behavior so others can be more tolerant of them is interpreted as an ad hominem attack.

P.S. My comments directed to williamcopper ended with "It will not be possible to please everyone and every way of working. That is why I wonder why someone who thinks SONAR should be marketed as the 'world's worst DAW' is not using what he thinks is the world's best DAW. If I think someone makes the 'world's worst music,' I won't listen to it. I'll listen to music that I like." That is obviously not an attack; I think it is a valid question to ask someone why they persist in using something which they say should be marketed as "the world's worst DAW." 

P.P.S. to williamcopper - conveying humor in a text-only medium is fraught with problems, ask any magazine or newspaper writer. This is why emoticons and acronyms like LOL and ROTFL were invented, so that shadings could be given online that aren't possible without facial expressions or body language. I can't guarantee anyone would have thought what you said was funny if you'd added an emoticon, but as least they would have understood that was your intention.

As to "public opinion does not seem to support it," this may actually relate to what I said about seeing things through a subjective lens. Musicradar said "It’s reasonable to suggest that Sonar is the most popular PC-only DAW in the world" in the context of their article on the "19 best DAW software apps in the world today." AudioFanzine gave it a "Best Product of 2015." SONAR has won at least one "Key Buy" from Keyboard magazine. It also twice won a Music International Press Award, a highly prestigious European-based award which is voted on by the editors of over 100 magazines around the world, and been nominated for a Technical Excellence and Creativity award. "Get That Pro Sound" listed SONAR among the best software in the world. Synthtopia listed it as one of the ten best DAWs in the world. And so on. They are charged with judging products based on overall merit compared to the overall merit of other programs. They understand that different programs have different strengths and need to take both strengths and limitations into account. And IIRC, none of these accolades reflected advertising support, because there wasn't any except possibly an ad or two in Keyboard over the years.

That's enough for now, on multiple levels.

Anderton
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/04 23:33:57 (permalink)
Also Susan, if it's my posts that keep you from coming here more often, simply block me. I won't mind.

luna004
Re: Serious problem in controller pane. 2015/09/19 08:18:38 (permalink)
Omg
post edited by luna004 - 2016/07/26 20:01:14
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1