Author
hansvaneven
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
2015/08/19 15:36:54 (permalink)
4 (15)

Professional Score editor

Hi all,

Sonar is very complete on the audio and midi side, but one of the most important features I'd like to see today in a DAW is a professional score editor comparable to Notion or Sibelius. This is one of the main reasons I have to use other software but it would really be great to see it directly in Sonar. I understand this takes a lot of resources, and I don't know how many people will really use it, but I'm sure people making scores for film or orchestra or have been using scores for composing will appreciate it and it might bring a lot of other users who are currently forced to use other software 

Cheers,

Hans
post edited by hansvaneven - 2015/08/27 11:30:57

12 Replies Related Threads

Eveangel
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/08/19 18:05:00 (permalink)
    +1 (3)
    Yes, the idea is great, but I'm not sure the introduction in a working addition is a possible rewrite.  If Sonar is completely Modular it might be possible.  But I would definitely like to see it in an upcoming version.  I would buy the next version if it was in it, or even an add-on that had those functions.   It has just never seemed to be the direction that Cakewalk has wanted to go.  I used Cubase/Cubasis for a while, and did not switch back until X2.  I love the new interface, and I'm not going anywhere, but it is most definitely something I want to see in the program.
    hansvaneven
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/08/20 02:31:50 (permalink)
    +1 (3)
    Thanks Eveangel, be sure to vote for it on top of this mail if you also want to see this ;) cheers
    Bluenote
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/08/21 09:45:12 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Hi Hans,
    I for one would agree with you!

and what seems to me only a small step in that direction might be 
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Ability-to-Set-Staff-View-Display-Resolution-for-selected-region-only-m3275161.aspx#3275179

BlueNote
    hansvaneven
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/08/21 11:21:07 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Cool thanks Bluenote :)
    post edited by hansvaneven - 2015/08/21 11:29:15
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/08/27 11:21:20 (permalink)
    You do realize that X3 is no longer in development?
    hansvaneven
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/08/27 11:22:54 (permalink)
    Yes, sorry I mean SONAR Platinum :)
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/09/02 03:23:09 (permalink)
    0 (4)
    No Thanks. Update the current notation and fix the bugs but please don't spend too much time on this. Its a DAW not a notation program. If you need Notation of the quality of Sibelius then use Sibelius. Just the same if you want an Audio Editor with more than what Sonar currently has, then use an Audio Editor like Sound Forge or Wavelab whatever your choice.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    hansvaneven
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/09/02 03:44:17 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    Hi Mike, with respect to your point of view, I don't agree, you can't use a program like Sibelius to compose other then midi tracks, so a DAW is a must for doing both and the score editor is really central in my setup, so if I set up a template for composing it's usually done with  drums, bass, keyboard and a guitar audio track, so it's really good to have the score open at the same time and compose so you see what you're doing, like you would do with pen and paper but with the addition of having the possibility to record audio tracks as well. I guess if Cubase, Logic Audio, Digital Performer, Pro Tools, Samplitude Pro X have a decent score editor and a few others that will have a score editor in next update (like Reaper) it's something that quite a lot of people ask for otherwise it wouldn't make sense, so yes, please a good score editor would definitely be welcome and make SONAR even more attractive to other users who now have to use software from the competition. That said, it doesn't need to be as full featured as Sibelius, but it's cool to be able to do most work with one software instead of having to export everything.
    post edited by hansvaneven - 2015/09/02 08:14:55
    Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/09/02 09:39:56 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    I agree with you Hans but i would try to avoid the heartburn by suggesting that Cakewalk should target Cubase and Digital Performer (as well as Logic Pro X) as their milestones (not Sibelius, etc). These are the current standards (in my opinion) for what a 'professional' notation/staff view in a Daw should aspire to be. Users here seem to be resigned to the idea that Cakewalk should just fix the bugs,etc as an appeasement and move on. i don't think that's enough. My opjnion is that Cakewalk should  have a vision in which it strives to be the best in all features that SONAR offers. Not all at once obviously, and not equal priority for all features. Evolutionary development based on continuous improvement. 
    Just my 2 cents.

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/09/02 10:37:45 (permalink)
    Brando
    My opjnion is that Cakewalk should  have a vision in which it strives to be the best in all features that SONAR offers. Not all at once obviously, and not equal priority for all features. Evolutionary development based on continuous improvement. 
    Just my 2 cents.

I think that is exactly what we're seeing happen.  I wish I could get a peek behind the curtain.

I remember being really miffed about all of the GUI bugs and quirks back in 7 & 8.  Turns out there was a good reason those things were left alone.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/09/02 12:31:32 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    BobF
    Brando
    My opjnion is that Cakewalk should  have a vision in which it strives to be the best in all features that SONAR offers. Not all at once obviously, and not equal priority for all features. Evolutionary development based on continuous improvement. 
    Just my 2 cents.

I think that is exactly what we're seeing happen.  I wish I could get a peek behind the curtain.

I remember being really miffed about all of the GUI bugs and quirks back in 7 & 8.  Turns out there was a good reason those things were left alone.

Maybe...Though i haven't (yet) seen a whole lot at all (if anything) in the areas of notation, act, touch, step sequencer, matrix view., video. I'm willing to concede that my priorities are not necessarily representative of the entire user base. But development thus far has been (in my opinion) skewed towards the audio only user base.  
    From comments by Cake in these forums they don't appear to have plans for notation apart from eventually fixing existing bugs in staff view. That's not the same as a vision to be the best in all categories, imo.

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    hansvaneven
    Re: Professional Score editor 2015/09/02 15:06:18 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Brando
    I agree with you Hans but i would try to avoid the heartburn by suggesting that Cakewalk should target Cubase and Digital Performer (as well as Logic Pro X) as their milestones (not Sibelius, etc). These are the current standards (in my opinion) for what a 'professional' notation/staff view in a Daw should aspire to be. Users here seem to be resigned to the idea that Cakewalk should just fix the bugs,etc as an appeasement and move on. i don't think that's enough. My opjnion is that Cakewalk should  have a vision in which it strives to be the best in all features that SONAR offers. Not all at once obviously, and not equal priority for all features. Evolutionary development based on continuous improvement. 
    Just my 2 cents.

Hi Brando, yes you're right on this, I mentioned Sibelius but that's probably a little overload I admit, though a good editor you can use for editing notes, visualising your work, but also printing (sharing with musicians, export pdf ...) would really be a great creative add-on. Like you say the development on this area has been on hold for a moment, and I think the current audio features are quite impressive and well developed so far, so it would really be great to see some more midi*.score related features in next updates. That said I understand that development needs money too, so all depends what's possible for the folks at Cakewalk. 

cheers,

Hans
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1