Helpful ReplyAn arrange window

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Gene921
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: Arranger tracks 2015/08/22 14:49:51 (permalink)
I came across a program called SongFrame a few years back, but never really got far into it.  I'm really visual, so I like the interface used to drag "song bits" around.

Check it out - about :45 in.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u04MdF68KU
post edited by Gene921 - 2015/08/22 14:58:13

Gene

Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: Arranger tracks 2015/08/22 15:01:15 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I saw the Presonus Studio One Arranger Track and Scratchpad today, and basically that is exactly what I want in Sonar - perhaps enough that I will move DAWs now I know I can get that feature at a decent price.

To add my answer to the earlier question, I need seamless playback, not just rendered output. I dont want to wait for a mixdown to see if my new arrangement idea works. Either I need to be able to easily select and move entire sections without hacks and wrestling with selections, or I need playback to be able to jump to markers from arbitrary points (just the loop functionality on steroids really), or just something like musical directions (e.g. D.S. al Coda, etc) that do much the same.

Apart from being a great help in song writing, this will be invaluable for computer game developers who often need to write a bunch of loops that all have to work together in arbitrary permutations.

Bonus points are available if it's possible to specify that the end of oversized clips can 'spill over' into the next section!

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Arranger tracks 2015/08/22 15:26:53 (permalink)
it might be tempting to jump for some but with "mix" and track templates alone, Sonar would be hard to leave... actually, for a zillion reasons... but I feel your message, K... Please, bakers... focus on this.  It can be an evolving thing... but let's get somewhere quicker than later.  

Last time I demoes S2 I was NOT impressed; however, I did watch their S3 webcast and was impressed, although with a better thought out arrange window, scratch pad is really just a gimmick... for example, if I selected the parts of a chorus I like, pasted this to the end, then add new parts to it... it serves as a "scratch" and can be saved or inserted as desired.

I like the cubase system too but would love a "repitch the song as currently arranged" feature so I could do final independent editing, adding, deleting over the entire timeline and not merely jump... for example, in the second chorus I might want to add another guitar and several different voices, to build the song to a crescendo... can't do this with just a "jump" feature... render is needed for this...
post edited by Vastman - 2015/08/22 15:35:48

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Notecrusher
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 579
Re: Arranger tracks 2015/08/23 05:57:45 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Vastman
This would be the most significant improvement I can possibly imagine for Sonar... 

I have to agree. My number one new feature request. I also like what Studio One v3 has done w/ their Arranger Track/Scratch Pad. I'd like to see Sonar refine the idea even more. For example, Sonar has markers which users naturally use to demarcate song sections. So it would be cool if the arranger feature let you treat the time region defined by marker A to marker B as a song section.

post edited by Notecrusher - 2015/08/23 06:37:36
cyberzip
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/08/27 16:12:43 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Every time I want to try different arrangements in my EDM projects, it's a huge job to cut & paste sections in Sonar. Cutting & pasting envelopes has improved somewhat in later years, but the process is still not fast nor painless.

Then I saw the "Arranger track" feature in the new Presonus Studio One 3.0. Wow, it looks so incredibly sweet! Please Cakewalk, considering something like this for Sonar!

Look how easy it's to move verse one:

Studio One 3—Arranger Track and Scratch Pads
https://youtu.be/ZALHeAeOjM4?t=2m21s
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/08/27 16:22:31 (permalink)
moved from SONAR and merged with previous requests.
bayoubill
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/08/27 16:23:02 (permalink)
I cast my vote for it! THAT IS SWEET!

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

cyberzip
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/08/27 16:30:49 (permalink)
scook
moved from SONAR and merged with previous requests.

Thanks!

Wow, amazing support for this feature here! :D I've been campaigning about copying/pasting/moving song sections for years without gaining much traction, but once you see how it can be done effectively, it gets appealing I suppose. :)
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/08/27 16:37:59 (permalink)
note msg #34
stoutlyric
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/08/27 18:31:42 (permalink)
Please add this!

+1
Vastman
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/09/01 00:16:19 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I am trying to rearrange a complex song right now... it SUCKS... This I feel is the most important issue on the docket... 

While I love and live Sonar, I am trying to break free a chunk of vacation time to properly demo both cubase and S3... I am doing so much songwriting now, this is becoming very important to me...

Hope this is getting attention among the bakers... any composer these days wants to play with the arrangements... this is the # 1 suggestion yet and other DAWs are on it.  Pleeeeeeeze!!!

Dana
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Vastman
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/09/02 14:37:49 (permalink)
Recently I've been on a songwriting binge and I now want this feature bad enough that I'm going to spend a month with S3 in demo mode... fortunately, I also have the groove 3 30 day all access freebe to get me up to speed... The time I'm spending trying to tweak things I could be working ($) so I figure having two DAWs for awhile until the bakers step up might just be what the universe ordered... Despite the overwhelming support from users for this idea it appears to be in limbo and I'm at a point where I want this and it's worth the money to get it... I just hate the idea of learning another DAW...arrrrrg!

Wish the bakers would chime in on this one... seems so fundamental to all composers and the two biggest userbases... cubase and S3 now have it... 

post edited by Vastman - 2015/09/02 14:48:46

Dana
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/09/02 15:01:30 (permalink)
For the last three or four months I've been learning to get my head around Logic Pro. Both Logic and Sonar have things they do better than each other, but one of the first things that struck me about Logic is how incredibly useful the arranger track is to anyone who combines the process of creation ("writing") and arranging into one so finds themselves wanting to shift entire sections around.

Logic's implementation isn't perfect because changing an arranger area's length also affects the audio/MIDI clips ("regions" in Logic-speak) the arranger marker covers by also adjusting their length, which is sometimes desirable and sometimes not. It's still a very, very useful feature though.

As for (as near as possible) seamlessly re-arranging sections on the fly for live performance use, I see that more as the kind of thing Live is good at and maybe Sonar's matrix view could be focussed on.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/09/02 15:05:45 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Vastman
Wish the bakers would chime in on this one... seems so fundamental to all composers and the two biggest userbases... cubase and S3 now have it... 

Noel did chime in on page two, first stating that this has been something they've wanted to do for a while, but also (and maybe more importantly) asking about pure arranging vs. triggering arrangements in real-time.   I'm hoping that's an indication of things to come.   

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Vastman
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/09/02 16:04:36 (permalink)
Ah, yes, I remember... I think it's pretty evident most want Song arranging rather than live... both useful but for clients/composing... it's crucial...   

I've spent some time today defining regions and "removing the hole" which is ok but nothing like S3 in the vids I've watched... still, if Noel and the folk are working on this... especial a flexible timeline arranger system, I'd love to know... can wait a few if so and would rather NOT try to learn another DAW...

Dana
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/09/02 16:21:43 (permalink)
I would expect to see this suddenly in an update any time soon. Just because it is "popular" doesn't mean it is happening or give a potential end date (especially having been on the radar since 2006). Times come in life where decisions require reality and sense of urgency.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Vastman
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/09/02 16:45:56 (permalink)
Well, Mettelus... the reality is... the bulk of customers these days are composers/songwriters/independent studios with clients all of whom want to explore arranging things... especially in today's environment... AND at least 3 DAWS now let us do this, with ONE DAW doing it really nice and intuitively... 

The fact that little ole me, who hates the idea of learning another DAW and loves Plt... is actually thinking of doing the ungodly to get this ability... is a reality that should engender a sense of urgency....

this isn't about "dude, I'd like different colors"... it's a fundamental aspect of creating music.  If Cake wants to build it's base rather than see people jump they should pay attention and let us know they are working on it... just watching the vids on arranging in S3 made me salivate... and I need to know it's being worked on... I'd call that urgent, if an "I love sonar" wanker like me is contemplating...
post edited by Vastman - 2015/09/02 20:12:56

Dana
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/09/02 17:34:13 (permalink)
I am definitely not disputing any of that in any way. As someone who also has only every used SONAR, I certainly did not demo S3 because I was bored (3 months ago now). I did not buy S3, but the arrangement/scratch pad portions are definitely tempting. Short term I keep arranging to "nuts and bolts" only, which is easily manageable, but cringe at the thought of chopping/swapping sections in a final mix.

My original comment came from step sequencer issues I was having 2 years ago that cause me to get Geist. At that time I felt there should be no reason to have to (Cakewalk's roots are in MIDI, so should be the king of MIDI IMO). But in hindsight the time-pressure for "necessity" was actually good for me (since 2 years later, the issues that drove me to buy Geist still exist).

I guess was meant more as a dose of reality. Not that the issue is not huge (it is), but when will users actually see it?
post edited by mettelus - 2015/09/02 17:42:27

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Notecrusher
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/09/02 20:09:02 (permalink)
I doubt it's coming anytime soon. If it were it would be listed here
https://www.cakewalk.com/.../SONAR/Rolling-Updates
Vastman
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/09/02 20:26:41 (permalink)
mettelus
I am definitely not disputing any of that in any way. As someone who also has only every used SONAR, I certainly did not demo S3 because I was bored (3 months ago now). I did not buy S3, but the arrangement/scratch pad portions are definitely tempting. Short term I keep arranging to "nuts and bolts" only, which is easily manageable, but cringe at the thought of chopping/swapping sections in a final mix.

I guess was meant more as a dose of reality. Not that the issue is not huge (it is), but when will users actually see it?

well, that's the fundamental question to me...I've been with Sonar since 5 or 6 and have never used another DAW' if I knew it is being worked on to be rolled out in an evolving fashion (like the drum thingy that I've never used) I wouldn't bother trialing other DAWs... it ain't fun and aside from exploring rearranging/cutting/pasting potential song elements... I'm totally in heaven.  However, I now realize the importance of playing with arrangements and this overwhelms everything in my book... comping, track templates and a zillion other things are why I love sonar but playing with the flow of a song is so fundamental; and seeing it in action makes me realize how important it is... 

I would love to know I can look forward to this sometime this year.  It's got to be hurting sales of any DAW without this ability...S3 is screaming about this feature and how it works with their endless scratch pads... much like Plt's mix saves... and it resonates enough that I've watched every vid on the subject...I honestly find the thought of the huge effort to switch to be very yucky; yet arranging is very attractive and would change how I create significantly...while I'm an "oldy", it's gotta resonate with all new/young users trying to decide on a DAW and that's what Cake should be trying to attract.

Personally I find Plt much more eloquent in all respects, including visually... but arranging? It's laborious...it does NOT invite or encourage experimentation...I'm trying to talk myself out of spending time with DAWs that have this feature; but at some point I just gotta bite the bullet for lack of info on whether this is even being worked on here...

post edited by Vastman - 2015/09/02 20:39:38

Dana
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Vastman
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/09/02 20:48:24 (permalink)
Notecrusher
I doubt it's coming anytime soon. If it were it would be listed here
https://www.cakewalk.com/.../SONAR/Rolling-Updates

depressing...well I've got a few weeks of hard work ahead of me!  Figure I'll wait till the weekend to download and trial S3... have been watching the groove 3 vids...  Hope we get some feedback before then so I don't waste my time if this is in the works...

I can dream, can't I?  

post edited by Vastman - 2015/09/02 21:44:18

Dana
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
n13L5
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: Arranger tracks ala Cubase 2015/10/04 10:19:08 (permalink)
+4 (4)
+1
Vote/Bump

If it was just a clone of Studio One's feature, that would be perfectly great.

But knowing the Cakewalk crew, they'd make it even better...

This would save HOURS and HOURS of fiddling, and also enable us to be creative with our arrangements...
post edited by n13L5 - 2015/10/04 10:30:28

Favorite toys: Sonar Platinum, Rapture Pro, D-Pro, Melodyne, Brian Hardgroove Collection, Z3TA+2, Mutant Revolution.

skinnybones lampshade
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: Arranger tracks ala Cubase 2015/10/04 17:19:35 (permalink)
+2 (2)
This is a great idea! I would love to have an Arranger as straightforward and as clear, elegant and simple visually as the example in the OP.

It would be a pleasure and a time-saver. All in all, it would be a really useful tool. 

I, for one, would use it in every single project. 

M@
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: Arranger tracks 2015/10/07 20:57:25 (permalink)
+3 (3)
Voted 5***** for use as an arrangement tool !!
Timeline & Markers are just too small and unreadable, indistinguishable. Clip-Groups get muddled up.

Voted also here:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Offset-Mesure-One-m3097431.aspx#3098058
-> please take into consideration the offset/pre-measure one request there (or shifting of measures)

Also would like to see content of automation lanes to be treated as clips (i.e. splittable and selectable as in take-lanes). Thereby allowing quick copying of envelopes to other tracks or other parameters.
Further linking of markers with clips&automation when dragging ALL content (vs. cut & insert special)
I think this all falls into the same category of ARRANGEMENT features.

Tracking: Sonar Platinum (X3 Producer, X2 studio, X1 expanded, 8.3) (64bit)
System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Arranger tracks 2015/10/07 22:04:31 (permalink)
M@
Voted also here:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Offset-Mesure-One-m3097431.aspx#3098058
...I think this all falls into the same category of ARRANGEMENT features.

I agree that my proposed "custom timeline" idea could be integrated with an arranger facility. I didn't mention it at the time just for the sake of keeping it simple and avoiding the thread veering off topic.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Snehankur
  • Total Posts : 507
Re: Can we have "Arranger track" functionality as in Studio One 3.0? 2015/10/08 00:50:16 (permalink)
stevec
Vastman

Noel did chime in on page two, first stating that this has been something they've wanted to do for a while, but also (and maybe more importantly) asking about pure arranging vs. triggering arrangements in real-time.   I'm hoping that's an indication of things to come.   

Triggering arrangement would be faster. Once we find the arrangement is final then there can be an option "Rearrange" which will auto rearrange as pure.
Snehankur
Re: Arranger tracks 2015/10/08 07:11:37 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Can it be done in a different manner?

Instead of GUI, a simple window with a 2-column structure [Marker Name, No of times]
In the main track view we can put as many markers we need and then we can call up the windows which initially will have the table of list of markers and default number of times=1.
 We can then rearrange the sequence dragging each marker and if required we can change the number of times.  Also Control+drag-drop will copy a marker.

Play back from within this window will be according to this sequence.

We can save sequences and recall.

I am not sure.
Regards.
Snehankur
Re: Arranger tracks ala Cubase 2015/10/08 07:18:23 (permalink)
Anderton
Meanwhile, I use Clip Groups a lot. It's a habit I got into with Sony Vegas as a way to move video+audio events around, so I was glad when it was added to SONAR. 

Can it be done in a different manner?
Sir, 
Instead of GUI, a simple window with a 2-column structure [Marker Name, No of times]

In the main track view, we can put as many markers we need and then we can call up the window which initially will have the table populated with the list of markers and default number of times=1.

We can then rearrange the sequence dragging each marker and if required we can change the number of times.  Also Control+drag-drop will copy a marker.

Play back from within this window will be according to this sequence.

We can save sequences and recall.

I am not sure.
Regards.
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Arranger tracks ala Cubase 2015/10/08 14:05:33 (permalink)
I really like this idea as well.
In smaller arrangements I have successfully used the highlight and drag feature and don't forget you can put  larger clips in the matrix and have a similar capability, this is a form of packaged clip storage, but this isn't a total solution. The idea to have a song segment storage bin is excellent. If we could record a part of a song and make the entire thing a series of clips in one tidy package ,you could then drag that anywhere in the mix. It sounds simple but I'm fairly sure it isn't  a painless thing to implement and would be dependent on  other factors .I agree that this is worth more than tons of little fixes to me personally.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Notecrusher
Re: Arranger tracks 2015/10/11 04:41:53 (permalink)
+1 (1)
M@
Also would like to see content of automation lanes to be treated as clips (i.e. splittable and selectable) thereby allowing quick copying of envelopes to other tracks or other parameters.

This is a super good idea. 
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1