Helpful ReplyRecording With Sonar

Author
bayoubill
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10899
2015/08/30 15:31:30 (permalink)

Recording With Sonar

I'll want to say up front that before I start recording I have a very good idea of all the parts to the song I'm writing. I don't write or make it up as I go. I did try that but I didn't finish one song that way.

The way that works for me

Method 1 - I record the rhythm section to the tune. I usually start with the bass part.The reason I do this is for consistency of the tone etc. I've discovered,for me, if I record another instrument when I go back to the bass part I can't find the exact same sound I had before. 
After bass I usually put the drum part in. Again staying with it till I'm finished. Then the rhythm/fill guitar parts. 
Then comes the melody and instruments like vocals, strings etc.

Method 2 - I do the intro/ verse(2 bars at a time mostly)/chorus (again 2 bars at a time mostly) till finished. This takes longer but I get a more intricate recording than method 1. 
Method 2 is how I did Autumn Leaves

What do you guys think? What's your method? Input is welcome. Do you know a better way?

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/08/31 14:59:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bayoubill 2015/08/31 18:53:16
My method(s) vary with the song.

Last three or four songs have started with rhythm guitar foundation. Then add drums. Then add bass. Sometomes I switch the drums and bass order). Then scratch vocals. Then (if needed) get other singer(s). Then get lead guitar players. Then (if I'm singing lead) redo the vocal part until it's just slightly above the sux level.

And if I can remember to, add an honorable bayoubill mention.
post edited by bapu - 2015/08/31 15:07:48
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/01 00:42:00 (permalink)
Hmmm... I can't help with this one, as my recording/composition process is all over the place. It really depends on what gets me going first, and I generally make stuff up as I go along. I wish I could sit down and compose a piece straight to paper, but I can't

And as Bapu said, it can pretty much depend on the piece I am working on.

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/01 05:12:17 (permalink)
My creative process nearly always starts with one sentence or lyric idea which almost creates its own melody.
When I start with SONAR I usually have the whole song sketched with acoustic guitar.

The thing I especially struggle with are the arrangements. I'm not at all satisfied with them. I'm trying to find a
workflow which helps me to get distance from the basic strumming and create more interesting comp patterns and other elements.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/01 10:22:12 (permalink)
Mine is an iterative process, one that attempts to replicate the experience of writing and arranging with a band, all on my lonesome.

When you develop a song with a band, it usually starts with a more-or-less finished song that was written by one person on guitar or piano. It usually has a generic verse-verse-chorus kind of arrangement, but that's just the foundation from which each player contributes his own specialty to flesh it out.

It's an iterative process - you play the song as a band, over and over, and each musician gradually develops his part with each pass. The bass player won't know what he's going to do with it until he plays with the drummer, and the two of them play off one another. Keyboards and guitars develop a dialog, each creating space for the other, each modifying their part in response to what the other's doing.

This is a natural organic process that leads to interesting music. It's also the hardest thing to recreate when you're a one-man-band. You can't feed off others' creativity, can't try out complementary counterpoints, can't experiment as you play.

But you can do something similar. Start with a drum track that more or less follows the rhythm you imagined while you composed the song. Don't worry if it's dull and repetitive; you'll fix that later. Next, add a guitar or piano to lay out the chord progression and song arrangement. Don't worry if it's dull and repetitive; you'll fix that later. I usually add bass next; again, don't worry if it's not spectacular at this point.

I'll keep building up a song like that until I've got a bunch of dull, repetitive and disconnected tracks that lay out the arrangement. Then I'm ready to pretend to be multiple players, starting with drum fills and cues. Then think about how the bass should interact with those cues, then the other instruments until I come back around to the drums again. Now I've got some changes in the rhythm guitars and keyboards that a real drummer would react to, such as pausing when they pause or reinforcing their accents, advances and ritards. Bounce back and forth, letting each lay back or create holes for the other to fill. 

It's not a quick process. An arrangement that might take a few hours' time with a real band could take days or weeks in solo. But at least there are rarely any arguments between the musicians.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/02 11:11:41 (permalink)
Bit has summarized exactly how I work as a solo artist or working on a collaboration. Parts may have to be retracted as the song matures and the parts are flushed out to be more finished. It's really important for all of the instruments to work cohesively with one another to sound like a tight rhythm section.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/02 17:27:41 (permalink)
My approach varies depending on what kind of inspiration I may feel and what my actual ability to capture  this inspiration might be on any given day……

Conceptually everything that I hear is already complete in my head … it has always been that way …
It comes to me as one large complete flash of light containing every possible musical Idea I will ever have ….
it's all just one big song and it is up to me to decode it and try my absolute best to express it …

Practicing my guitar or putting in the time learning how to capture my music using a DAW is just the price I have to pay to actualize my musical expression in a tangible form where it can be shared…
After doing a personal inventory , the weakest link I have is I need to bone up my engineer skills ….
That I feel is the one thing that is holding me back the most at this point of my journey w music and SONAR …..

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/09/02 17:36:49

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

codamedia
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1185
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/02 22:08:54 (permalink)
bitflipper
Start with a drum track that more or less follows the rhythm you imagined while you composed the song. Don't worry if it's dull and repetitive; you'll fix that later. Next, add a guitar or piano to lay out the chord progression and song arrangement. Don't worry if it's dull and repetitive; you'll fix that later. I usually add bass next; again, don't worry if it's not spectacular at this point.

I'll keep building up a song like that until I've got a bunch of dull, repetitive and disconnected tracks that lay out the arrangement. Then I'm ready to pretend to be multiple players, starting with drum fills and cues. Then think about how the bass should interact with those cues, then the other instruments until I come back around to the drums again. Now I've got some changes in the rhythm guitars and keyboards that a real drummer would react to, such as pausing when they pause or reinforcing their accents, advances and ritards. Bounce back and forth, letting each lay back or create holes for the other to fill.

+1.... This describes my workflow for recording. Start simple and build on it.

One caveat. It's really easy to over do this and end up blowing past the best parts and start down a path of diminishing returns.  Know when to stop! (that's where the producer hat comes in really handy)

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/03 10:57:13 (permalink)
 Know when to stop! 

Still working on that part...

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/03 12:52:32 (permalink)
what the hell is wrong with the forum software and win 10?  This is the second time I've tried to reply on this subject but if it just disappears.  Not funny.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/03 21:51:01 (permalink)
I had a long post started and realized how bad my workflow really is as it goes to writing songs. I have so few and even fewer originals I'd let anyone hear. Some really great input and awesome formulas to consider. Great workflow suggestions and thread brother Billy.

Me

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/07 07:06:01 (permalink)
AT
what the hell is wrong with the forum software and win 10?  This is the second time I've tried to reply on this subject but if it just disappears.  Not funny.

There's been cases when the posts of a member suddenly start going to Cakewalks trash bin. It happened to me last year. One of the moderators picked them up made "legal" again.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/07 09:56:44 (permalink)
Thanks Kalle.  It is something w/ Win 10 - or it just started.  Sometimes pages will blink and disappear, and sometimes the whole program.  It is not just Cakewalk, it just happened twice when I was writing this particular thread.  And always toward the end of a longish one.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/07 10:38:43 (permalink)
win10 - but which browser? no change here, but i'm still using waterfox

just a sec

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/11 15:30:44 (permalink)
bayoubill
I'll want to say up front that before I start recording I have a very good idea of all the parts to the song I'm writing. I don't write or make it up as I go. I did try that but I didn't finish one song that way.

The way that works for me

Method 1 - I record the rhythm section to the tune. I usually start with the bass part.The reason I do this is for consistency of the tone etc. I've discovered,for me, if I record another instrument when I go back to the bass part I can't find the exact same sound I had before. 
After bass I usually put the drum part in. Again staying with it till I'm finished. Then the rhythm/fill guitar parts. 
Then comes the melody and instruments like vocals, strings etc.

Method 2 - I do the intro/ verse(2 bars at a time mostly)/chorus (again 2 bars at a time mostly) till finished. This takes longer but I get a more intricate recording than method 1. 
Method 2 is how I did Autumn Leaves

What do you guys think? What's your method? Input is welcome. Do you know a better way?

I'd say there is no "better than" other than the way that works for you. Songs come to us in many forms. Sometimes I hear a drum beat, sometimes I hear a guitar riff, sometimes a bass riff, other times a completed song or chorus in my head.

To get the ideas out of my head, I ALWAYS create a quick little click track using Sonar's Step Sequencer to create a tempo map. This is crucial to me as it also gives me a chance to practice the chords I'm going to play next. With this method, I can lay down a guitar and then a bass track in sections in minutes and then I'm singing to see if things will even work. Or...if this is a guitar instrumental, I'm playing a lead solo over top of the chords to see if the idea is even worth it. If it's an all systems go situation with the song, once the guitars and bass are tracked, I'll go back and play real drums to it and will sing and orchestrate from there. But I always start with a click track to log my ideas and test over them.

I find that ideas recorded in this manner will either sink or swim and I know in an instant without spending loads of time....on whether or not the idea will even work. Sometimes songs sound good in our heads...but once we extract them, well, they don't move us in the way we may have hoped.

Another idea that has worked incredibly well for me is using Sonar's Matrix. I record little pieces of stuff on a daily basis. Call me the Musical Hoarder as I have enough ideas to probably write about 100 albums or more worth of material. Anyway....throwing those ideas into the Matrix can help create arrangements in seconds because you have the ability to place the song sections into the Matrix and then just drag things around to show you all the cool combinations that you can come up. This also can help you arrange something by accident that you wouldn't normally do on your own because of how the Matrix offers options on piecing things together.

Quick example: My band and I record at my home studio one week then we record at my big studio down the shore the next, which is run by my bassist because he and his brother (our drummer) live down there. So sometimes we record ideas here and then ideas down there. We throw them into the Matrix and literally create songs as well as cool arrangements, press the record button and it spits out a song with the parts we supplied. Try it out sometime....it will actually inspire you to go in directions you may not have ever thought of. :)

This of course doesn't sound great or anything as we have two different sounds from both the studios, but all we are looking for are pro-pro sections of our songs.....not the final song. We create our template that way as well as our arrangement. So when we go to record the song for real, we have the Matrix version to guide us if need be. :) It's been quite cool doing things like that and has taken us down a few different paths that we may not have visited without it.

-Danny
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2015/09/11 15:41:49

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Recording With Sonar 2015/09/12 12:06:17 (permalink)

I'm similar to Bit as I have more or less 3 ways that I will end up recording. With a live band I get the best results because the whole song is recorded live. We focus on a good drum take and then overdub each part later. 
For original songs  I always load up a drum pattern or at least a hi hat to get going. Very few songs work for me with just a metronome.  I have a collection of patterns that I dumped from my Roland 505 to my Atari so I know them very well. They are encripted with titles like D1 ( Rock ) or B7 ( waltz). I still have the 505 patched in so I might use it to set a tempo. Now there's a feature request for you-- a tempo KNOB!  
I then play a simple guitar part and sing ( or mumble if the lyrics are forthcoming for an original) 
I might record the bass at this point but I like to lock the bass to the kick so I probably will finnish the kick track first. 
I now own a set of digital drums so my drum building method has vastly improved now. But I still eneter the kick drum on the keyboard becuase I suck at my timing using the pedal.  
I always will finish a vocal part at this point so the rest of the parts can fit in. 

My third recording style is making live backing tracks and I follow the above method more or less. Up until the internet came along I had to roll my own. These days I might get lucky and find a usable drum track on line. This is rare, most of the free midi files are terribly done. 
But I still start with the drums and lay down a scratch vocal and guitar part. 
I don't add a lot to these tracks as my style is just to have good drums and bass. I play guiar live and I don't even want a second guitar in the mix. I do like to have some keyboard parts for fill. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1