[chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Walt Collins
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1054
2015/08/25 18:51:23 (permalink)

[chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway)

My thanks go out to the current Mrs. Daryl1968 (a.k.a. Elizabeth Greenway) for providing vocals (including the lyrics and song title) for this track.  I think she did a great job!

https://soundcloud.com/arcanor/turn-it-into-light

This is yet another "chill/dance" track from me.  Your honest feedback is always appreciated.  Thanks in advance for listening!

Walt Collins - Downtempo & Ambient
Bandcamp: https://waltcollins.bandcamp.com (FREE downloads),  SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/arcanor
blog: "Seeking Enlightenment Through Electronic Music" - http://waltcollins.com/music
I use Ableton, NI, AAS, Arturia, Spectrasonics, Cakewalk, Akai, Yamaha, Fender, Sony, Waves
Windows 10, Tannoy, KRK, dbx DriveRack

30 Replies Related Threads

cwestmont
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/25 19:05:12 (permalink)
    Really solid.  I am just listening on a tablet but some of the percussion seems to be surround sound.   Very nice effect and usually don't get that on this device.  Overall wonderfully balanced and executed from where I sit.
    The breathiness of the vocals suits the track very well.  
    Wouldn't change a thing.  Sounds great!

My music:
    Hummingbird Cinema (vocal tracks, covers and remixes)
    Mosaic Manifesto  (remixes and instrumentals)
    "If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

One can acquire everything in solitude - except character. -- Marie Henri Beyle

Windows 7
    Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz
    8 GigaBytes DRAM
    Sonar X3
    Roland QuadCapture
    Wouter Schijns
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/25 19:22:12 (permalink)
    very nice music & vocals, could not hear anything wrong with the mix..
    superb.
    would try take 2 hairs of that bass line away from the side signal, and add 1 back to the mid.
    that could give it more stereo effect + more groove.
    not sure though and fine how it is....great job

post edited by Wouter Schijns - 2015/08/25 19:30:59
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/25 19:38:23 (permalink)
    Great job Walt - sounds the dog's bollocks (that's a good thing)
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/25 21:14:43 (permalink)
    OK, this is amazing of course, because Walt put it together. But of all the tasty elements you have going, Walt, for whatever reason this time I found myself focusing on the kick drum. It's full without being overbearing, obviously drives this piece, and just sounded perfect as a foundation.

The percussive elements you have swirling around are tasteful, and not overbearing, either!

And the vocalist, she's great, as is your mix treatment of her. Love the "telephone with cathedral reverb" effects I think I'm hearing, very cool.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/25 21:28:12 (permalink)
    Love everything about it. Great job Walt and Liz current Mrs Daryl.

Me

bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/25 21:49:20 (permalink)
    Amazing clarity on my system.

Pristine

Bring the bass up a notch and you have perfection

Vibe is killer.  

Yes! 

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Rikkie
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/28 03:42:58 (permalink)
    Hi Walt, nice one ; )

Rik
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/28 09:34:35 (permalink)
    Hi Walt... Another cool sounding song you have here. You have done a great job with Elizabeth on vocals 

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/28 12:04:34 (permalink)
    Walt, I LOVED this song! Besides just enjoying listening to it, there are elements I would love to learn how to mimic.

thanks for sharing this! :)
    Noisy Neighbour
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 460
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/29 07:27:12 (permalink)
    Hi Walt,

what a nice and soothing atmosphere you created here!
    I've got a bit of flew at the moment, feeling kind of feverish... this tune really fits. Listening the third time now...
    Love the positive attitude!
    Shine on,
    Daniel

Daniel

LAVA LAMP, Sonar Platinum  
    Intel Core i7-2600 CPU 3.40 GHz, 16 Gig Ram, Windows 10 x64
    M-Audio Fast Track C400
    A-500 Midi Keyboard Controller, Yamaha MSP7, Yamaha HS50 Monitors,
    (a bit of room treatment) plugins, guitars, 
     Take a Look Inside
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/29 11:53:31 (permalink)
    Nice move with the phased bass panning out and a round the back of my furry skull, good job the pair of you.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/29 12:32:59 (permalink)
    Walt,
    My son walked in and I said "you have to listen to this...". He smiled and said "that's the kind of stuff I want to learn how to do!". Huge compliment from him. :) He's a great drummer with lots of musical influences (hey, I raised him right).

I need to get him into recording and producing...
    Walt Collins
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/31 18:09:38 (permalink)
    @cwestmont: Thanks CW.  The vocals were masterfully sung by Elizabeth, and (I am guessing) masterfully recorded by Daryl.

@Wouter Schijns: I am not understanding what you're suggesting about the bass. :P  The bass track is straight down the middle, pan-wise.  Although I do add some stereo widening during mastering (over the whole mix).  Perhaps that's what you meant?  Glad you enjoyed it anyway though. :)

@daryl1968: Thanks mate!  I really appreciate your work on this!  I assume you were Elizabeth's engineer?

@emeraldsoul: Thanks Tom, glad you liked it. :)  As you know, I've been focusing more and more lately on multi-layered hide-and-seek rhythm tracks, so it's great to hear that it's working for more people than just myself. ;)  As for the vocal treatment, Elizabeth really sang a great part, so I was tempted to leave it mostly alone at first, but I eventually decided to go with the delay+reverb+telephone sound because it's so common in this genre of music (and I also really like that kind of sound too. :) ).

@ohgrant: Thanks Grant!

@bayoubill: Appreciate it Bill.  You sure know about pristine sound.  I just listened to your track "Windy and Warm" and that's some nice clean sound you've got there!

@Rikkie: Hey Rik, thanks for listening to this one... I know it's out of your usual comfort zone!  Glad you liked it. :)

@synkrotron: Thanks Andy!  I sure had fun making this song, and I appreciate Elizabeth's willingness to add her fine vocals.

@smallstonefan: Thanks James, glad you liked it!  Feel free to ask away if you (and/or your son) have any production questions.

@Noisy Neighbor: Thanks Daniel.  Always glad to share a little sunshine on an otherwise rainy day. :D  Hope you're feeling better now.

@Wookiee: Hey John, thanks, and glad you liked it. :)  Not sure what you mean about the phasing on the bass though, as there was none intentionally added... I hope it's not a problem in the mix.  Maybe you're hearing some of the swirling percussion, which does move around the stereoscape a bit.  Anyway, cheers!

Bandcamp: https://waltcollins.bandcamp.com (FREE downloads),  SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/arcanor
    blog: "Seeking Enlightenment Through Electronic Music" - http://waltcollins.com/music
    I use Ableton, NI, AAS, Arturia, Spectrasonics, Cakewalk, Akai, Yamaha, Fender, Sony, Waves
    MarkusClinus
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 710
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/08/31 20:16:43 (permalink)
    Walt - you've created a very nice mood here - I thoroughly enjoyed this - well done.

Mark
    (formerly CLEAN)
    THE PUGTONES

Wouter Schijns
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/01 18:12:53 (permalink)
    Hi Walt, yes I'd give it a try to bypass the the widening of the bassfreqs.
    Somehow it sounds stereo, is it a stereo basstrack maybe ?
    Just thought the whole mix would come alive even more and mid and side would get more seperation, a nicer stereo image with a more mono bass portion.
    There's certainly nothing wrong with the mix, it really sounds great and I could never do this myself.
    Just hoping it some point it could help you, again compliments on this great music !

bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/01 18:53:30 (permalink)
    I Am pretty Shure that's Madonna. I have seen and heard her before.  It's OK if she wants to go incognito.

I very much like the vibe. I think the bass should be more centered but it sounds great! Enjoyed it thoroughly!!! 
    I will come back to this song for a future listening 

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

clintmartin
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3893
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/01 19:46:47 (permalink)
    A very impressive piece. The mix and arrangement are both stellar...and great vocals.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
    http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
    https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/02 18:19:18 (permalink)
    Awesome Walt! Nice that you got Elizabeth to lend her voice...I'm jealous, lol. Great mix job, with no complaints from me. Lots of ear candy going on in this one.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Walt Collins
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/03 09:27:12 (permalink)
    @MarkusClinus: Thanks Mark, glad you enjoyed it!

@Wouter Schijns: I may try to move the stereo widening effect into a pre-mix bus (and leave out the bass part), rather than over the whole mix at mastering time.  But that'll have a significant effect on the mix, so it'll have to be for the next song, I think. :)  Thanks for the idea!

@bayoubill: Thanks Bill!  Yeah, Elizabeth does some great singing, but I can't say for sure if it's really Madonna incognito.  You'll have to run it by Daryl if you want to verify her identity. :P

@clintmartin: Thanks Clint, and glad you liked it!  I worked hard at the arrangement and effects, to make the song build smoothly, and hopefully offer some interesting transitions.

@dcumpian: Thank you Dan.  Speaking of ear candy, I just listened to your song from a few months ago, "After The Long Dark Winter".  Sounds like you might be using some incarnation of Evolve for Kontakt in there as well?  And maybe some Cuba for Latin percussion?  That Komplete Ultimate package has really impressed me, and I find myself using more and more layers of percussion in my recent tracks, because they sound so good to my ear.  Cheers!
    post edited by Walt Collins - 2015/09/03 09:35:44

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/03 11:17:04 (permalink)
    No complaint Walt I just liked the way the bass and percussion swirled out and sounded like it travels around the back of my furry skull.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    biodiode
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1202
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/03 12:49:05 (permalink)
    Good stuff Walt, sounds really good on my crappy inbuilt monitor speakers. Love what you have done to the vocals.

www.biodiode.com  
    https://soundcloud.com/biodiode
    PC Specs :-Sonar Platinum,
    Fractal Design Define R4 Case, Asus X-99 Deluxe motherboard, Intel Core i7 5960X Processor, Bequiet BK010 Dark Rock Cooler, 32GB - 2400mhz Corsair memory, 650W Bequiet Dark Pro PSU, 1GB XFX Radeon R5 Passive GFX, 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 1 x 3TB WesterDigital Black HDD, LG - BluRay Combo Drive, Windows 10, Kensington SlimBlade Trackball, LG34UM88C 34-Inch 3440 x 1440 UltraWide IPS Monitor
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/03 16:18:38 (permalink)
    Walt Collins
    @dcumpian: Thank you Dan.  Speaking of ear candy, I just listened to your song from a few months ago, "After The Long Dark Winter".  Sounds like you might be using some incarnation of Evolve for Kontakt in there as well?  And maybe some Cuba for Latin percussion?  That Komplete Ultimate package has really impressed me, and I find myself using more and more layers of percussion in my recent tracks, because they sound so good to my ear.  Cheers!

Not on that tune. I have some Kontakt loops from The Unfinished that are really great percussion beds. But I do have Evolve, Evolve Mutations and Damage that I have yet to actually put to use. Got them last Black Friday, but since I can only do about 8 songs a year, they just haven't gotten used yet.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/04 20:06:29 (permalink)
    Hello Walt , 
    Your tune is very nice listen and it has fantastic production . Yeah , the voice brings it up over the top …
    I like all the subtle movement that was evolving amongst the song elements , nice sound effects also ….

Kenny 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/08 23:50:46 (permalink)
    Hey Walt and Elizabeth, I can feel the vibe in this piece with all the instrumentation, spinning and swirling, humping and pumping, deep bass and drums and the vocals fit in very nicely. Chill magic! Nicely done.

Peace and Blessings, John 

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    Walt Collins
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/09 09:41:18 (permalink)
    @kennywtelejazz: Thanks Kenny!  Glad you liked it.  I had lots of fun in the making.

@theguitarplayer: Hey John, thanks, and glad you enjoyed. :)

Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/09 10:04:36 (permalink)
    Walt, I haven't listened to this track yet, but did listen (the other day) to a good 1/2 dozen or more of your tracks......very, very good stuff/mixes you got going there (a style that I enjoy throwing in a few electric guitar tracks for added punch :)). Will definitely give this a listen later this evening.....I know Liz has a great voice so this chill/dance track should be a real treat.     

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Walt Collins
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/09 10:18:18 (permalink)
    @Mesh: I've actually got another song in the cooker currently and it needs some strong guitar leads.  I'm wondering if I should do them myself, or maybe collaborate with someone from the forum?  Know anyone who might be interested? :)

Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/09 10:31:09 (permalink)
    Walt Collins
    @Mesh: I've actually got another song in the cooker currently and it needs some strong guitar leads.  I'm wondering if I should do them myself, or maybe collaborate with someone from the forum?  Know anyone who might be interested? :)

I'd certainly love to work on something like this..... 

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: [chill/dance] Turn It Into Light (feat. Elizabeth Greenway) 2015/09/11 13:42:15 (permalink)
    Nice...     Chill, swirly, clear, very cool.   The vocals are simple but as recorded, mixed and processed they really add a great vibe. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1