Work Missing from project files

Author
Lindstroms
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2015/09/03 17:45:09 (permalink)

Work Missing from project files

I began working on some of these projects using Sonar 8.5 and migrated them to Sonar X1. I then saved my work by saving all of the project files to a removable hard drive when I needed to reinstall Windows. Afterwards, I reinstalled Sonar X1 and copied over my project files. Roughly 100 hours of work is gone. All of my compressors are gone from all of my tracks, most of the EQ on most of the tracks is gone. It is as though someone selectively went through the tracks and removed entire sessions of work. How do I get my work back? Is there a patch or fix for this?

I would be very grateful for any help anyone can give me. This setback is heartbreaking for me, because I have been working on this project for years and was hoping to finally finish it before moving to Australia in two weeks. This setback means I might have to start all over with mixing and mastering, and the thought of doing so makes me feel like crying.
post edited by Lindstroms - 2015/09/03 17:58:51

9 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Work Missing from project files 2015/09/03 17:49:57 (permalink)
    Which compressors & EQ?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Lindstroms
    Re: Work Missing from project files 2015/09/03 17:56:29 (permalink)
    I use the EQ which is embedded in the mixer. I don't know how you would say it. There is a button on each track that has a picture of EQ on it, and you click that button and then can expand that part of the "console" and play around with it and choose between vintage, modern, and pure.

For compressors, I click in the little black "plugin" zone on the track and I select the standard one that comes with sonar. I think it's called "Calkwalk Compressor" or "Sonar Compressor."

Many of my other effects are gone as well, like vocal doubling. All my effects use the plugins that come with sonar except for those on my bass guitars (which are easy to redo).

Thank you for reading and trying to help me!
    post edited by Lindstroms - 2015/09/03 18:05:37
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: Work Missing from project files 2015/09/03 18:07:59 (permalink)
    It sounds like you may have been using some older plugins from 8.5 (that were not included in X1) in the FX Bin. You should have gotten a "Missing Plugin" dialog though (if not maybe something else occurred).

So at this point I will ask if you reinstalled 8.5 as well. If not reinstall 8.5 on the computer or do an Advanced Install of 8.5 and just install the missing plugins (however probably best to just install 8.5 completely so you can see if opening the files in that versions restores the project).

The other thought I have is that maybe you saved and/or are opening an older version of the project where you had not yet added all those plugins. Like if you backed up the wrong version or you backed up your entire projects folder but are opening the wrong one.

Either way... just some ideas. Hopefully you can recover. Provide some more details and maybe some of the smarter folks can sort you out.

Good luck.

PS: The on strip EQ is called the Prochannel Quad Curve EQ. I don't know what compressors you may have used in the FX Bin.
    post edited by Beepster - 2015/09/03 18:17:31
    Lindstroms
    Re: Work Missing from project files 2015/09/03 19:20:00 (permalink)
    I will do that! Sunday is the first day I'll have a chance, so I will let you know how it goes.

Do you think maybe it will make a difference if I uninstall X1, then install 8.5 and reinstall X1 so that the installation order follows the same as that I originally had on my old machine?
    Beepster
    Re: Work Missing from project files 2015/09/03 20:10:31 (permalink)
    Yes, actually. That probably is the best way to go and I should have mentioned it. I've never uninstalled/reinstalled any of my versions but from what I understand if you are going to install multiple versions it should be done sequentially. So in your case as you said you'd want to start fresh with an 8.5 installation (so full removal of X1) and then follow up with the X1 install.

I am not sure what the deal is with Sonar 8.5 (I did not own it) so it might require you install Sonar 8 then whatever came out to build it up to Sonar 8.5.

8.5 could however be a cumulative/standalone version though that does not require any previous versions to be installed. The other guys here can tell you that or Cakewalk support.

Be sure to create a system image and restore points as needed so if something goes wonky you can return to your current state easily.

Good luck and definitely let us know how it goes.

Cheers.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Work Missing from project files 2015/09/03 23:09:17 (permalink)
    In X1 the ProChannel was released so the eq will be effected. The default channel eq used to be Sonitus eq and there was a way to upgrade projects from 8.5 to X1 if I remember correctly.

I'm sure someone with the actual full info will drop in.

I hope you still have your original 8.5 projects because there's no way to recover the work once you've saved it in X1. At the time there was a lot of info around about what this was going to do because of the change of going to the Skylight interface and the introduction of the ProChannel.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Lindstroms
    Re: Work Missing from project files 2015/09/08 17:15:09 (permalink)
    Reinstalling beginning with 8.5 first and following with X1 did not fix it. Almost all of the work is still gone. Other thoughts/suggestions?

What I have is the complete "Cakewalk Projects" folder. Almost all of the work was done in X1.
    post edited by Lindstroms - 2015/09/08 17:26:22
    Beepster
    Re: Work Missing from project files 2015/09/08 17:35:12 (permalink)
    At this point, unfortunately, unless you made a backup of the original 8.5 projects you may be out of luck.

As mudgel noted as soon as you saved the projects in X1 you pretty much made it so they were screwed.

Did you not test them before saving them in X1 and backing them up? Do you have no version of the original 8.5 files? A total system wipe/OS install is a big deal. It would have been better keeping them as 8.5 files (which you know worked) and backing them up as opposed to saving them as X1 files before making the system changes.

Sadly... without the original 8.5 files you may just have to redo the work.

Alternatively... did you create a system image before you wiped the computer? If so you could reinstall that image (which should have preserved the original files on the drive as well as program/system settings). THEN you could save a backup of the original 8.5 files so when you go back to your new setup you could THEN go through the procedures described in this thread.

But that is of course a massive PITA and requires you to have made a system image of your OLD system drives... and be sure if you are going to do this that you create system image of your NEW set up before beginning.

So...

1) Create an image backup of your current drive setups (so you can easily restore it later and make extra backups of any important files just in case... store them on a separate external drive)

2) Load the OLD system image (which will totally destroy your new setup but you have an image from step one so you will be able to restore it... if you did it correctly)

3) With the old image running and installed save all of your 8.5 files to an external drive so you can open them on your NEW setup (when you reload it)

4) Load the NEW image you created in step 1 (which will wipe out the old image again)

5) Since your new image should have 8.5 and all its plugins installed it should load up the projects in 8.5 or X1 IF you followed the directions in this thread.

That is totally fuxxored and a MASSIVE PITA and I don't know if it will even work AND you need to have a system image of your old setup if it's going to work at all.

Aside from that (or anyone else being able to come by and offer more suggestions) you'll just have to chalk it all up to a lesson in properly backing up your projects and system... especially before doing drastic things like a complete OS upgrade.

I do not envy you at this moment.

Good luck and maybe call Cakewalk support to see if maybe they've got some extra ideas.

Cheers.

Edit: and there is also the option if you are clever enough AND have a system image of your old setup to create a dual boot setup where you dedicate a section of your boot drive (that is not being used) to load you old image on... which you can then boot into, retrieve the 8.5 files, shut down, boot into the new system partition and see if you can get the files working.

That's an EXTRA PITA but at least you don't have to wipe out your new setup and/or if all else fails you can keep working on the old system partition until you finish your project(s) or figure a good solution out. Then once you got it all sorted just wipe the old partition out to free up disk space or whatever.

post edited by Beepster - 2015/09/08 17:49:24
    Lindstroms
    Re: Work Missing from project files 2015/09/10 20:20:26 (permalink)
    I'm just going to try to export what I can and redo the entire project in FL Studio since FL Studio is reliable and different versions are compatible with one another. Do any of you know why I can't now get FL Studio to open any of the wavs I am exporting from Sonar?
    post edited by Lindstroms - 2015/09/10 20:30:01
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1