UAD powered plugins --how do you organize your plugins

Author
cecelius2
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1494
2015/09/03 21:23:57 (permalink)

UAD powered plugins --how do you organize your plugins

I am doing a complete fresh reinstall of all software and plugins (my previous DAW died and now I have a new studio computer).  I am going through the process of installing everything from scratch and trying to organize plugins better.  The UAD Powered Plugins folder has the complete catalogue, but that means a host of their plugins I never owned or authorized as demos.  I want to just display the ones I actually own and use.

Can I just delete the ones I do not use from the Powered Plugins folder?  Or, should I move the ones I do use to a new folder, and then point the Sonar Plugin Manager to scan that folder?  

Do you guys know of any problems with moving or deleting unused UAD plugins so that they do not show up in the FXs directory?

8 Replies Related Threads

Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: UAD powered plugins --how do you organize your plugins 2015/09/04 01:11:46 (permalink)
    I just create plugin layouts with the plugins I actually use.  Don't have to worry about deleting or moving plugins that way.  In general I use logical folders in Plugin Manager for Comps, EQs, Channel Strips, Delays, Reverbs, etc.  I don't move or delete the actual plugin DLLs if that's what you are asking about; I just configure what Plugin Manager displays, and how I see them.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: UAD powered plugins --how do you organize your plugins 2015/09/04 13:39:04 (permalink)
    I do very much like Genghis - but I sort mine into ones I own then on the others, I sort into what type they are (EQ for instance) just in case I want to try them at some time
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

cecelius2
    Re: UAD powered plugins --how do you organize your plugins 2015/09/04 19:50:14 (permalink)
    Thanks to both of you for reminding me about this.   I had not been able to do what you recommend with previous versions of Sonar because for some reason it would never recognize logical folders in the plugin manager.  However, since the fresh install and since Platinum, this approach is working again.

Thanks for this.

smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: UAD powered plugins --how do you organize your plugins 2015/09/06 11:04:33 (permalink)
    Have to echo everyone else - seems that deleting UAD plugins is asking for problems so I use folder.

By the way, did you know that UAD installs the mono versions in a different folder? Many don't even know they are there, and if you are concerned about DSP load then using the mono versions on mono tracks makes a lot of sense. I have added into my plugin layouts folder both the stereo and mono versions, and I use " (m)" at the end of the name of the mono instances. 

I need to reboot right now so I can't check the path for you, but let me know if you need it and I'll post it.
    cecelius2
    Re: UAD powered plugins --how do you organize your plugins 2015/09/06 16:39:31 (permalink)
    Thanks.  Yes, I know about mono files being in a different version.  However, I can't find where they are located.  If you can post where they are found on your system that would help.

smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: UAD powered plugins --how do you organize your plugins 2015/09/06 18:47:35 (permalink)
    You bet!

For me, they are here:

c:\program files\steinberb\vstplugins\powered plugins\mono

I added this folder to my VST scanning path and re-scanned. You'll see two instances of each plugin in the list of available plugins, but when you select one you can see from the path if it's mono or not. Takes awhile to build your menus (if you have a lot of plugins), but worth the effort.

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: UAD powered plugins --how do you organize your plugins 2015/09/07 15:48:16 (permalink)
    Everyonce in a while, when life is going too smoothly, I wrestle with trying to find a directory hierarchy that the plugin manager will respect completely. Then  I bang my head against the wall, and remember that abstraction is my friend.

Working with the Plugin Manager is not optimal, among other things I'd love a view that shows me which plugins I haven't placed in a menu. But once it is done it remains pretty much done, and I don't have to deal with the dll files.

There has to be a better way! A database that classified plugins? I don't know...

On the other hand, the mere thought of having to revise my plugin menus is enough to make me think twice before buying new plug-ins, and that's good for my wallet!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: UAD powered plugins --how do you organize your plugins 2015/09/08 10:27:40 (permalink)
    Bill
    I so agree about plug in manager - that one simple thing, a list of plug ins not placed in a menu, would SO make things easier!!
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1