Helpful ReplyRemoving drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conversion

Author
Piotr
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 208
2015/09/27 07:22:26 (permalink)

Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conversion

Hello,

It is hard to believe but still in Sonar there is no ability to convert project data rate. It is a really a pain when have lost projects in data rate not available in owned sound card.

And getting this annoying message "unable to open playback device".

For instance having many projects in 44.1 and sound card which support only data rates above 48 make crazy if one would like to use his own projects from the past.

Moreover even deleting all audio tracks with not matched data rate doesn't help. It still refuses to play!
Really? No audio tracks at all and still refusing to play project because of not matching data rate??

How it should be done: when loading project with data rate not available on current sound card, it should just reconvert properly audio tracks after a question if we want it. And that's all.
Or even less modern approach and little coarse one would be acceptable: option in menu to do it.

It is not racket science.

I really hope you you will be fix it soon.
Regards,
Piotr

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/27 11:25:05 (permalink)
But SONAR does do automatic SRC. If you create a project and declare its SR as 48KHz, and then subsequently import a 44.1 KHz file, it will be automatically converted to the project's rate.

Of course, you're always better off working in the original format, especially if someone's handed you a complete project to mix. In that case, you can still do batch SRC with something like R8Brain. But it would be a whole lot simpler if you just invested in a more versatile audio interface. Are you sure yours can't do 44.1?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/27 12:05:16 (permalink)
SONAR determines an existing project's sample rate by inspecting the audio in the project. Here is a sample rate conversion method which might work for you http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2934357

Piotr
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/27 18:07:50 (permalink)
Thank you, Guys, for your posts, but it is not what I meant...

Of course it is possible to workaround such problem but it is really pain and takes time.

First thing is to convert all audio file in 3-party converter off Sonar, the simplest part,
but then one must reinsert them all again in project in exact destined places...
There could be for instance 100 audios files in different places of project, not really regular starting at beginning of a bar...
It is great pain and big waste of time :(

I really believe Sonar should be able to do all such works instead of user. It is not big deal for a program to do what we can do manually, isn't it?
About my sound card, well, I am pretty sure, and Sonar as well - it shows me the ugly message that cannot play  :(
I have many projects both in 44.1 and in 48 on 2 different locations and 2 different machines and moving them to use from one to the other is always totally pain  :(

Of course, I and people with similar problem (when sharing with others in different data rates) could invest in different hardware to have the all data rates compatible but really is it a way? :(
Isn't it obvious thing Sonar should read every Sonar's project and do its best to play it flawlessly?
Enough we got problems when trying to share projects with people who have different plugins, I think...

BTW it could be nice if Sonar could provide user defined custom map for such cases. For instance I don't have grand piano of VI Labs but have True Piano and it could be nice if there would be a way to say Sonar that every project it sees VI Labs Grand it automatically replaces with True Piano etc...
Bad idea?

I am big fan of work automatization and believe programs should do work in every cases where it is recurrent.
Maybe is it possible to do it in CAL? Unfortunately I am not familiar with it... :(

Regards,
Piotr
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/27 20:54:52 (permalink)
Piotr
but then one must reinsert them all again in project in exact destined places...
There could be for instance 100 audios files in different places of project, not really regular starting at beginning of a bar...
It is great pain and big waste of time :(

Check out multiple clip export and broadcast wav:
http://static.cakewalk.com/cakewalk/products/sonar/release_notes/Welcome_to_the_SONAR_Ipswich_Update.pdf

:)
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/09/27 21:05:39

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/27 21:00:27 (permalink)
Piotr
BTW it could be nice if Sonar could provide user defined custom map for such cases. For instance I don't have grand piano of VI Labs but have True Piano and it could be nice if there would be a way to say Sonar that every project it sees VI Labs Grand it automatically replaces with True Piano etc...

The only way you could do this is start a standard for presets.
Then write to every single plugin manufacturer begging them to keep to your standard.
Ain't gonna happen :)
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/09/27 21:10:18

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/27 21:07:48 (permalink)
Piotr
About my sound card, well, I am pretty sure, and Sonar as well - it shows me the ugly message that cannot play  :(
I have many projects both in 44.1 and in 48 on 2 different locations and 2 different machines and moving them to use from one to the other is always totally pain  :(

Of course, I and people with similar problem (when sharing with others in different data rates) could invest in different hardware to have the all data rates compatible but really is it a way? :(

What is your hardware? Are you sure about this?
That is insane. Stick to the same rate. Either 44.1 or 48 for both cards. If (strangely) one is only capable of 44.1 then make sure the other is on 44.1. Or 48 on both. If you can't do either time to get some new hardware, that is madness...
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/09/27 21:18:55

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/28 01:48:59 (permalink)
The auto-conversion comes up again and again but would only be a niche feature ... we had those discussions ...
You can quickly
  1. export all tracks with FX disabled
  2. delete all audio files from your project
  3. save with new name
  4. change sample rate on audio card
  5. open project
  6. drag all exported tracks into new project and each will be converted
It's a manual process but it's doable considering how seldom this will be used considering the large user base and what people do mostly with Sonar ...

Personally, I don't want any auto-conversion - the warning that sample rates do not match is enough for me.

Piotr

Isn't it obvious thing Sonar should read every Sonar's project and do its best to play it flawlessly?
Enough we got problems when trying to share projects with people who have different plugins, I think...

I'm really wondering what hardware you are using because I can't think of any prosumer interface that cannot do 44.1, 48, 88.1 and 96 kHz ...

If working with different people, you need to record at the same sample rate. period. unless you are in a scratch track phase, but for that even MP3 files tranfer would do ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Piotr
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/28 03:38:53 (permalink)
Mass export is great function and it can convert all files to other data rates (how ironic :(  but reinserting is manually pain job :(
Or maybe because it is new in Ipswitch it is a half way to implement reconverting projects?

For instance Sonar demo project "Where Did We Go Demo" has 160+ audio clips. If one would like to check every clip what audio file is related to and then replace them -  it will take hours :(

I have Sound Blaster Platinum EX. On ASIO it is not able to perform 44.1. It is PCI hardware with external I/O panel. It fits very well to my connections in my home. I have no dedicated home studio, but more universal well maintained with dual boot OS and virtuals machines not to thrash OS used for 'higher' purpose :)

Probably you think who cares about just a few dinosaurs irrationally attached to their hardware?

But isn't the same case if you have project in any data rate which is not available  on hardware where you go to use it?

Regards,
Piotr
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/28 04:18:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/09/28 19:34:46
Hi Piotr

Piotr
Mass export is great function and it can convert all files to other data rates (how ironic :(  but reinserting is manually pain job :(

Well, importing could definitely see some improvements ... one could be to batch import and assign based on file name vs. track name.

Piotr
For instance Sonar demo project "Where Did We Go Demo" has 160+ audio clips. If one would like to check every clip what audio file is related to and then replace them -  it will take hours :(

There are some features that help e.g.
  • Always Import Broadcast Waves at Their Timestamp. Forces SONAR to ignore the Now Time when importing Broadcast Wave files. When this option is checked, Broadcast Waves begin at their SMPTE timestamp in your project.
  • Export Broadcast Waves By Default. Check this option if you want the Broadcast Waves option to appear by default in the Export Audio dialog box.
However, a job like that I would do on a track basis, not on individual clips ...

Piotr
I have Sound Blaster Platinum EX. On ASIO it is not able to perform 44.1. It is PCI hardware with external I/O panel. It fits very well to my connections in my home. I have no dedicated home studio, but more universal well maintained with dual boot OS and virtuals machines not to thrash OS used for 'higher' purpose :)

Probably you think who cares about just a few dinosaurs irrationally attached to their hardware?

Having owned almost a dozen interfaces over time I can only recommend getting at least a 2 channel state-of-the-art external ASIO USB interface. It's not terribly expensive and you will benefit a lot from sound quality and software stability.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
Piotr
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/28 04:24:39 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Piotr

The only way you could do this is start a standard for presets.
Then write to every single plugin manufacturer begging them to keep to your standard.
Ain't gonna happen :)

Well, I thought about something simpler :-)
What you considered - of course I understand is impossible to implement :-)

I meant only replacing VST instrument without taking in considerations its setup which differs from plugin to plugin.
It is what you need when load project with many not owned plugins. you must manually replace each of them with ones which you have. Maybe there is an advanced in CAL Sonar user who even has written something like this? :-)

Regards,
Piotr
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/28 04:40:12 (permalink)
Piotr

Please have look at this FR (http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3293015) and see if that would relieve you from your reinserting pain

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/28 04:52:43 (permalink)
FWIW, posts have been made about SoundBlaster's "ASIO" drivers not being ASIO. Unless you have a program requiring ASIO (some software must have an ASIO driver stand-alone), you may be much better off using WDM mode.

Another thing is to check Windows Sound settings for your sound card (both recording and playback), right click the SB and check "properties" On the advanced tab be sure both "exclusive" modes are not checked. When in ASIO mode, only one program can access the drivers, and if that is your system playback device, it is actually Windows locking it (or your browser, etc.). Whatever grabs it first "wins" basically, and SONAR cannot override Windows settings.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/28 13:59:15 (permalink)
Time to get a new interface, that's your real problem:
http://us.focusrite.com/product-range/scarlett

post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/09/28 14:08:31

Piotr
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/28 21:01:15 (permalink)
Thank you, All, for your advices.

Unfortunately, provided drivers for my card works best in ASIO and switching to any other mode brings some problems or unacceptable latency.

To be fair to card it was much better for XP (but still best in ASIO) with great provided mixer to control its I/O but after migrating to Win 7 drivers are not quite as expected and mixer is gone. Another thing, new approach for audio in 7 is a really trash. User hostile concept.

You encourage me for replacing my hardware and probably you're right. However,  it is quite hard decision for me because I like very much external IO panel of the card and it has its also role in home entertainment and fits great in that. I am also not fan of instant recabling to use something as secondary audio connected on demand. Things are also little bit complicated because I am constantly moving between 2 cities where have different hardware but always taking with myself portable audio interface is not an option for me. Small luggage is my friend.
Well, I have things to consider...

In fact I have old but quite good audio interface with firewire port (ironically I have no firewire  in my home computer but IO panel of audigy2 has one for connecting firewire devices) but it is rare used because of need to disassembly and reassembly. It needs 12W power supply I have concern if I connect it only by bus it wouldn't damage  firewire in IO panel when getting too much power. But I don't want to make you bored. My English is poor and it is hard to explain all aspects.

But thank you again for your advices. I feel obligated to rethink all connection concept in my home and my secondary place to avoid compatibility problems when moving projects.

Well, don't take me pls like hopeless stuborn guy but regardless of possible reconfigure what I have or replacing card I still believe Sonar should have functionality to reconvert flawlessly when needed projects with different data rates. Different things happen and it is too optimistic assume that always destination hardware will have every data rate as source. It is not big deal, I think, to implement it to remove some potential hardware incompatibility.

Regards,
Piotr

Piotr
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/30 16:01:31 (permalink)
Hi,
Another example of this drama and why it is again me?
I have on my second place Cakewalk/Roland product VS-20, which can be used both like mobile audio interface and surface controller. Quite useful thing. But it is capable only 44.1 what I forgot. I have just brought 48 recorded project and of course trying to play it has failed 

This same person so statistical sample didn't change but it was another example of hardware which was limited and lead to problem with sharing. Probably there are more owners VS-20 on the world... And consider people using only onboard audio cards.

Of course, from Pro or Advanced users perspective the answer is the same: just replace your hardware and your old discard in a thrash (a don't be sorry because of your hard earn money :(

But how many hobbyists are on the world who could want to share something with their friends but are not able to replace hardware soon because they have other expenses?

Of course problems does not exist if one could convert his project to 44.1 to share it with those who have only 44.1
Just with one click for instance

Regards,
Piotr
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conver 2015/09/30 16:15:01 (permalink)
Vast majority of people use switchable 48/44.1 nowadays. I've been in these forums since X1 launch (not long compared to many) and first time I've heard of such an onslaught..

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1