Helpful ReplyExtend import / export functionality

Author
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
2015/09/28 04:34:44 (permalink)

Extend import / export functionality

It's the "little" features that matter if you don't have them.

In this respect I would like to draw attention to missing import / export functionality.  I will start my wishlist and hope that a few will contribute and vote so that Cakewalk gets into a "less glorious" upgrade, something that doesn't make headlines (like mix recall, drum replacer, etc.) but will still help a lot ...

As I'm hoping for further valuable suggestions I will update this post #1 to summarize later contributions to this thread.

Import / export markers  (currently only possible to copy between open Sonar projects* via MIDI workaround, see **)
  • export to and import from ASCII file
  • copy / paste from spreadsheet

Import / export tempo (currently only possible to copy between open Sonar projects* via MIDI workaround, see **)
  • export to and import from ASCII file
  • copy / paste from spreadsheet

Import of audio files
  • drag a bunch of audio files into the project area and have them assigned to existing tracks based on their file names
    • of course, honoring broadcast timestamps
    • previously exported files could be re-imported into a template with same track names by a single drag and drop
    • in case of filenames that cannot be related to tracks, pop-up an assignment box (similar to the current one if MIDI devices are no longer available) where the user can select an existing or new track as the target for the import

(*) see post #2 and 3 on how to copy between open Sonar projects

(**) Note: AFAIK tempo and marker export/import between Sonar and other DAWs currently only works in a very cumbersome way:
  1. strip all tracks from the project apart from one MIDI track
  2. save project as MID file
  3. start new project double-clicking MID file (must be first step in project setup) to import tempo and markers
  4. import other templates to build project
It is currently not possible to load tempo or markers into an existing Sonar project ...
post edited by FreeFlyBertl - 2015/09/28 10:11:47

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Aksuaho
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: Extend import / export functionality 2015/09/28 05:46:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FreeFlyBertl 2015/09/28 10:07:24
+1 (1)
Actually it is, open the project you want the tempo and markers from and use ctrl+alt copy and paste.
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Extend import / export functionality 2015/09/28 10:07:18 (permalink)
Hi Ondrej!

You just made my day! I've been looking and asking for this for quite a while still missed that option!!!

To clarify for others: to copy tempo or markers, select what you want to copy (e.g. CTRL+A followed by selecting time range in time line), then hold ALT and while holding ALT press CTRL+C, check tempo and markes in the pop-up... then in the new project put the now time where you want to have your markers / tempo insert to start, press CTRL + V ...

Excellent indeed.

Still I keep that import/export feature request open as this only solves tempo/marker transfer between Sonar projects, but not in collaborations when partners use other DAW software ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Aksuaho
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: Extend import / export functionality 2015/09/29 10:36:51 (permalink)
Hi, I'm happy to be of help in this issue. Actually I also would like to have the same functionality with all mixer and plug-in settings, copy everything except the Audio from one project and paste into another, like a mega Track Template which is able to overwrite existing settings if the track names are the same.
BTW, transfer between different DAWs is already as simple as possible, OMF export and save as Midi1 file. Midi is the format every sequencer program understands... though, AAF support would be fine too ;)
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1