Helpful ReplyJust get my mics set up for the first time in ages....

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2015/09/30 21:13:51 (permalink)

Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages....

...to record some stereo guitar. 

Literally just plugged them in and fiddled with the levels. Great! And then I hear a rumble outside, so I opened up the window. 

They've just started resurfacing the road with one of those godawful machines the size of a cruise liner (give or take). At 9:10pm. 

Fantastic! That's going to really lend a certain je ne sais quoi to the recording. NYC forever!

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/01 06:31:59 (permalink)
You could always DI and run through an amp sim, add plenty of delay and reverb......

I'll get me coat!!!!!

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/03 17:41:22 (permalink)
HAH... I took mine down about an hour ago, LOL. Going to do some "in the box" stuff. I have an old MXL 2001 I may get rid of... I absolutely hate the way it makes my voice sound. Way too much high end. Have fun with the guitar!

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/03 18:19:24 (permalink)
sharke,
Welcome to my world .
I've just spent 8 whole weeks of climbing over a construction site where I live just to put the key in my door .
What I would give to have peace , quiet and the option to use a microphone to record my guitar in my apt 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/03 19:17:14 (permalink)
I live in a 20 story apt building. Since April they've been shearing off the front and back face of the building with jack hammers. Sound levels in the 90-120 db range for hours every day. I think the poor cat is damaged goods now. Poor little bugger has no idea what to do because there's no place to hide from the sound.

"We apologize for the inconvenience", just doesn't seem like fair compensation. Since affordable rentals are so hard to find I've had to suck it up and live with it. The cat didn't take well to ear plugs.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/03 19:44:51 (permalink)
ampfixer
I live in a 20 story apt building. Since April they've been shearing off the front and back face of the building with jack hammers. Sound levels in the 90-120 db range for hours every day. I think the poor cat is damaged goods now. Poor little bugger has no idea what to do because there's no place to hide from the sound.

"We apologize for the inconvenience", just doesn't seem like fair compensation. Since affordable rentals are so hard to find I've had to suck it up and live with it. The cat didn't take well to ear plugs.

Probably not a good second option...

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
kennywtelejazz
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/03 22:00:49 (permalink)
ampfixer 

I thought I had it bad , Whew , your situation sure sounds like a lot to have to put up with .

+1000 on the whole "We apologize for the inconvenience", just doesn't seem like fair compensation….

Come Monday they want to paint my staircase and my front door. Then they want me to leave my front door open for 3 hours , and I will not be able to go up or down the stairs until the paint has dried ……

I'm not loving that request ,  Duke may housebroken but he is certainly not trained to use a toilet to do his bizznez

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/10/03 22:14:54

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/04 01:47:44 (permalink)
I don't think anything beats a pile driver for sheer annoyance. I've had the pleasure of a few brand new buildings going up near me in the last 7 or 8 years, and that pile driving phase is hell. They usually start as early as they're legally allowed to, and it's just a horrible THUMP which happens every few seconds and hits you right in the chest. Because there's a gap of a good few seconds in between each thump, you're continually bracing for the next one. I find that harder to ignore than constant noise like a jackhammer or belt sander. 

Having said all this, the most annoying aural disturbance I ever experienced was about 12 years ago when I shared an apartment next to Madison Square Garden with a married couple. They were both really nice, but the guy was this gigantic portly fellow who made this phlegm raking sound with the back of his throat every 10-15 seconds. My bedroom was right off the living room, and his computer desk was right next to door so that he literally sat right outside my door (he'd have to move his chair to let me out). I'd be sat inches away from at my computer desk with only a door between us, and every 10-15 seconds that raking noise would cut through me like a knife. I would sit with my fists clenched thinking "he's going to do it again....here it comes....any minute....argghh there it is!" It's amazing how such a tiny little thing can ruin your living situation - I felt too awkward to bring it up seeing how I was just the lodger. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/04 06:41:19 (permalink)
sharke
...to record some stereo guitar. 

Literally just plugged them in and fiddled with the levels. Great! And then I hear a rumble outside, so I opened up the window. 

They've just started resurfacing the road with one of those godawful machines the size of a cruise liner (give or take). At 9:10pm. 

Fantastic! That's going to really lend a certain je ne sais quoi to the recording. NYC forever!

I was going through my personal archives and the accompanying "blog" entries recently, and, for a while, it seemed like every time I had a week off and an opportunity to record, s""t like that happened.

I remember the last year it happened...

First they repaired the pavement directly underneath my bedroom window (I lived ground level). Jackhammer. Lasted a few days. A couple of days later, the landlord decided to do some work on the building, involving a brick wall... On Thursday when I thought I'd finally have a bit of time, there was a power outage that affected only a couple of buildings - including mine....

On Friday, there was big pride parade. And on Saturday, my PC started giving me BSOD and fatal errors, so I basically spent the next two days (make that 3 or 4 months) troubleshooting..

So, yeah - I totally know what you mean.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/04 11:58:24 (permalink)
Around here it is leaf blowers. edgers, mowers, and the ever present fire station that is about 75 yds away through some trees. The fire station isn't as bad as you might think. There is the regular ambulance and firetruck taking off but there is only a sound for a moment. Thankfully at night they don't hit the siren until they get to the highway down the road. The only time they really bug me is when some kid (they are kids compared to me) plays with the horn or siren, hitting short blasts in the parking lot at about 8:00 AM... the blowers and edgers are the worst and any given day someone is doing it. There are 40 houses on a cul-de-sac and I've seen three different lawn care trucks from my window at the same time, different yards and I can see less than half the neighborhood. Blowers make the most annoying sound to me. OH... some roofing company figured out that all the houses have some sort of "Architectural shingle" on the roof and there is a lawsuit. Same with the cement siding. They have been replacing roofs. The first time I heard that it sounded like a war. (Pile drivers though... I've heard them driving down the interstate when they are putting up a new overpass... I cannot imagine living next to it day after day).
What'cha going to do? It doesn't help to get upset. It's like getting upset in rush hour traffic. It only hurts me or you, if you let it. I used to get upset in gridlock traffic but one day I decided to just use it to unwind before getting home, listen to some music and just go with it... that works much better. Same with annoying sound, but sometimes I do get annoyed, I think it is more because I know the people. The whole "love your neighbor" thing is HARD. It is much easier to love people in India or somewhere you'll never really know the people.
Being people is hard.  
I almost forgot, the sound that annoys me the MOST is a car with a loud exhaust and a subwoofer you can feel a half mile away.. that still makes me mad. Loud exhaust by itself is annoying to me. Subwoofers though make me see red. (However, when I was 18-19 years old  have a VW van with the speaker cab from a Silvertone 2x10 in the back, wired to my 8-Track player. I've never heard a louder 8 watts in my life... so I shouldn't be mad, I may as well be hearing me).
J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
kennywtelejazz
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/05 03:03:12 (permalink)
I'm a quiet guy , you would never know I was a musician if you lived near me ..i like to practice w cans on and play my music softly ..also I trained my dog to never bark when someone knocks on my door ….

A few years back , I had an upstairs neighbor who did everything he could possibly do to create noises to annoy me on purpose …..2 am dropping tool boxes and furniture above my head all the time , going to get his mail 4 am in the morning right outside my living room window and slamming the mail box a few times for dramatic effect 
Slamming the garage door that would shake my whole apt all hours of the day and night ….

I got real tired of his $hit fast …this dude suffered with major anger issues and he liked to stomp around like he was gonna kick some A$$ ….to compound the issue even more he was a classic case of a guy that suffered from little man syndrome ….lol

The day I had enough of this A$$hole was the day he got his wings and he leaned how to fly …

He was upstairs doing his little war dance so I took my lavaliere mic attached to my vacuum cleaner plugged that into my 50 watt Marshall , pegged the amp and started my vacuum cleaner  ….

He actually jumped out his second story window thinking a jet was gonna crash into the building and he landed on his A$$ right outside my apt on the grass right near my walkway 

The guy freaked out when he found out it was me ….He started asking me if I had a rocket motor in my apt ..
I said Yeah I got a jet motor in my apt ,he knew I had 2 motorcycles at the time so I told him I was building  a rocket bike in my apt just like the one Jay Lenno has ….that shut him up for a while …

every so often when he would start acting up , I would plug in my mic into my Marshall , peg it and then flush my toilet ..dude din't like that one either … 
He moved ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/05 05:34:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2015/10/05 12:22:59
sharke
I don't think anything beats a pile driver for sheer annoyance.

I'd call that more a pain in the butt than an annoyance. You should try cream.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

craigb
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/05 05:53:56 (permalink)
Karyn
sharke
I don't think anything beats a pile driver for sheer annoyance.

I'd call that more a pain in the butt than an annoyance. You should try cream.

craigb
Re: Just get my mics set up for the first time in ages.... 2015/10/05 06:03:47 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
I'm a quiet guy , you would never know I was a musician if you lived near me ..i like to practice w cans on and play my music softly ..also I trained my dog to never bark when someone knocks on my door ….

A few years back , I had an upstairs neighbor who did everything he could possibly do to create noises to annoy me on purpose …..2 am dropping tool boxes and furniture above my head all the time , going to get his mail 4 am in the morning right outside my living room window and slamming the mail box a few times for dramatic effect 
Slamming the garage door that would shake my whole apt all hours of the day and night ….

I got real tired of his $hit fast …this dude suffered with major anger issues and he liked to stomp around like he was gonna kick some A$$ ….to compound the issue even more he was a classic case of a guy that suffered from little man syndrome ….lol

The day I had enough of this A$$hole was the day he got his wings and he leaned how to fly …

He was upstairs doing his little war dance so I took my lavaliere mic attached to my vacuum cleaner plugged that into my 50 watt Marshall , pegged the amp and started my vacuum cleaner  ….

He actually jumped out his second story window thinking a jet was gonna crash into the building and he landed on his A$$ right outside my apt on the grass right near my walkway 

The guy freaked out when he found out it was me ….He started asking me if I had a rocket motor in my apt ..
I said Yeah I got a jet motor in my apt ,he knew I had 2 motorcycles at the time so I told him I was building  a rocket bike in my apt just like the one Jay Lenno has ….that shut him up for a while …

every so often when he would start acting up , I would plug in my mic into my Marshall , peg it and then flush my toilet ..dude din't like that one either … 
He moved ,

Kenny

Hehe...  When I was younger I had a bunch of immature roommates.  One day they decided to pull a prank on me so, at 4am, I set up just the first scream from Oingo Boingo's Cry of the Vatos (hear it below) to play on my 400 watt stereo cranked.  Just the scream and only once.  It went off, and there was NO sound outside (I just about hurt myself making sure I didn't laugh out loud or make ANY other sound).  The next morning I saw one of my roommates and he was looking tired, pale and nervous.  "What's wrong Rich?" I asked.  "I woke up early this morning scared s**tless and sweating but I don't know why!  I haven't been able to get back to sleep since!"  The other roommates had similar reactions but had no idea what I had done (which I thought was hilarious) - and I never did let them know!  Revenge accomplished.  Muhahahaha!

Only from 00:01 thru 00:03 (not the first "oh wow" - just the scream at 130 dB - then completely silence).

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1