Helpful ReplyI Dream of Wires

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/21 15:26:21 (permalink)
That was good lunch-time viewing!  I think I'll order two so I can have stereo... 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/22 00:13:05 (permalink)
Hi,

Just thought of Beaver and Krause ... still have those two ... I think one LP is still here. They had the original 3 AM at the Okefanokee Swamp, I think, and one version of the opening of Thus Spake Zarathustra that was also very nice. I think it was based on that for which Kubrick decided to use the classical piece instead of the synth's ... which he made more use of in Clockwork Orange, though for my tastes it was more play, than art at that point for me.

Purchasing a copy of this ... though, honestly, I wish that folks like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze and the Berlin group would also get some credit ... many of them deserve some credit, but in all honesty they all DID go after something else in music other than Klaus Schulze, who went totally to another galaxy somewhere.
post edited by Moshkito - 2015/12/12 11:24:55

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
craigb
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/22 00:23:32 (permalink)
Edgar stopped caring a few months ago. 

Moshkito
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/22 11:22:32 (permalink)
Hi,

I think that the most important part of the story of synthesizer, is that the easy way/path was taken to make it sound like everything else we knew. And today, a synthesizer is a threat to replace a band, or orchestra!

I enjoy, and prefer, what they call "analog", which is another word for the fact that someone actually created the sounds and effects for the music they were playing. The keyboard work in many of those early bands, and even Keith, specially in his earlier days, the synthesizer was a different instrument, not a replacement for anything we knew, and that is one of the most spectacular things that was done. Listening to it, made sense to me, as "another instrument".

Some of the experimentations, and the 70's had them by the thousands in Europe, most of them (TODAY!) sound like it was mostly the turning of a knob and fader, but the sentence, or the piece of music had a feeling that was new, and that was fun to listen to! Today, it's difficult to find a band that has keyboards that even try to use them as anything but another instrument in the orchestra! We don't think of Keith, just turning a knob at all ... very different than Neu or Kraftwerk, or Cluster for example.

The sound will last and be used ... but I'm not sure the orchestra replacements will make it ... because if they did they would already be used, and no one across any of the ponds is playing Edgar Froese, Klaus Schulze, Ryuichi Sakamoto, and so many others that deserve the credit and have never really gotten it! Robert Moog, was not a composer, but his sensibility to help create something that DID end up making music, deserves some massive credit, although he was not the only one across the universe doing it.
post edited by Moshkito - 2015/08/25 12:09:40

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/22 12:23:28 (permalink)
bitflipper
Tomita's catalog is impressive. My favorites are his cover of Holst's The Planets and Kosmos, a potpourri of miscellaneous odds and ends. Pictures at an Exhibition shows some of his most inventive interpretations, and is especially interesting juxtaposed with the ELP version.

In the early '70's there was a DJ called Alan 'Fluff' Freeman ('Alright? Not half!') who had a great 2hr Saturday afternoon rock show. That's where I first heard all kinds of great stuff including Tomita.

Bizarrely (I think because of Freeman's very mannered delivery), for a long time I thought it was a band called 'I Sailed To Meet Her'

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/22 14:35:15 (permalink)
For the Moog story in detail, there's a book:

http://www.amazon.com/Analog-Days-Invention-Impact-Synthesizer/dp/0674016173/

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/22 16:24:42 (permalink)
bitflipper

This is a big part of what makes Tomita's Snowflakes are Dancing such a monumental feat. It took him 2 years and lots of splicing and bouncing. And he didn't have a technical guy on hand like Carlos did; Tomita's was the only synthesizer in all of Japan at the time, and he the only (self-taught) expert. 

Wendy Carlos had a great quote which I've lost the source of.  But it was something like Carlos's three laws.  One of which was (to paraphrase): if you're working on something and it takes three times as long as you thought it would, then you're probably doing something right.

I'd love to find that article, print the three laws and put them up on my wall.
drewfx1
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/22 17:51:39 (permalink)
dmbaer
Wendy Carlos had a great quote which I've lost the source of.  But it was something like Carlos's three laws.  One of which was (to paraphrase): if you're working on something and it takes three times as long as you thought it would, then you're probably doing something right.

I'd love to find that article, print the three laws and put them up on my wall.

Was another one of them something like, "If a parameter can be controlled, then it must be controlled"?

I recall that one from somewhere.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
craigb
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/22 19:11:43 (permalink)
Was reading a little about Walter/Wendy and came upon this somewhat related interesting story:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1060/whats-the-story-on-the-female-jazz-musician-who-lived-as-a-man

Wow.

bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/22 19:45:31 (permalink)
PERFECT! Thanks Dave! Now I have something to do while I can't do anything else

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/23 16:50:29 (permalink)
drewfx1

Was another one of them something like, "If a parameter can be controlled, then it must be controlled"?

I recall that one from somewhere.

I just don't recall.  All I remember is that there was a profound truth in what she was saying - one that all computer musicians should be aware of, coming as it does from one of our most accomplished masters.
Moshkito
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/23 19:02:12 (permalink)
drewfx1

I don't really understand the electronic music stuff, so...
But I do know that many folks over there seem to want things like EG's and LFO's with time frames of tens of minutes or even hours. Personally I don't get it. 

The earlier stuff, specially when you listen to the early Ralf and Florian and Kluster and Cluster and Neu, and the like, feels like it is just an exercise in turning the knob at the right time, and such. I am not sure, if learning an instrument, which to me many of these were, is considered an art form, but they defined a musical style, that is still appreciated today, however, it is NOT as mechanically and medically inclined as things are today with people married to a metronome, instead of the music itself!

Moshkito
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/23 19:06:40 (permalink)
Hi,

to catch up on the history of electronic stuff, you all should also check one of the first films to ever have electronic music in it ... "Forbidden Planet", and I am not sure that you would want to discuss the knobs, since in those days there was not a keyboard, for the instrument, I believe.

Also important in this list, is George Harrison's experiments. It's a "nothing" album ... but it gives you the idea that one is trying to figure out what the knobs do ... and it has nothing to do with "music".

drewfx1
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/24 15:58:25 (permalink)
I think it's not so much not being aware of the history of electronic music, as that I suppose I don't understand the aesthetic appeal of something that endlessly repeats while evolving very slowly.

Watching the film this thread regards, it struck me that Wendy Carlos and the "east coast" school comes across less favorably than the "west coast" school and EDM. In fact, in the film it almost seems like one couldn't use a eurorack modular for anything other than EDM.

The DX7 and workstation keyboards are also disparaged, but buttons and presets and obtuse user interfaces are less of a problem if one is more interested in stringing notes together than focusing on timbre. Sorry Trent, but they aren't "toys" in the hands of people who have learned what to do with them.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the democratization of music and untrained people making music and expressing themselves - good for them. But I would rather twist knobs and explore the capabilities of my own instrument myself than listen to others if that's all they're doing. IOW, there needs to be something unique or some sort of artistic expression or communication of ideas for me not to get quickly bored listening to others do something I can do myself.

Moshkito
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/25 12:57:48 (permalink)
drewfx1 ... I think it's not so much not being aware of the history of electronic music, as that I suppose I don't understand the aesthetic appeal of something that endlessly repeats while evolving very slowly. ...

It was a brand new instrument ... there was nothing to compare it to before, and on top of it, it was also an instrument in development.

Naturally, and probably because of a couple of movies, these sounds became associated with "outer space", since these sounds were all different, and strange, the aesthetic appeal to much of this stuff ended up in the hand of folks that (today) we call "geeks".

I've posted an example, when I gave my dad in 1978 a copy of Tomita's Snowflakes are Dancing. Now, you gotta know we have in Santa Barbara a massive record collection of over 3K LP's of classical music, and my dad knew his music! So I played it for him, and he gets on his intelectual BS mode and says ... it's very interesting and entertaining, and walked off. That was his way of saying it was crap!

I snapped and called him a snob and a turkey. And left the house (had my own place!) after telling him to get back to his intelectual pursuits.

Mom called me a week later, and said that dad was listening to the album, and he had played it again the next day, and at night during dinner told her that it was very nice and that it was a very faithful representation of the original pieces.

Sometimes, it just takes "ear tuning" ... and this was the same issue we had with foreign and european music in Santa Barbara ... but we didn't cave in ... and we helped many names make it big ... including Golden Earring, Focus, Gentle Giant, Supertramp, Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre, just to name a few that ended up being played by all air personnel. At any time of the day!

drewfx1 ... Watching the film this thread regards, it struck me that Wendy Carlos and the "east coast" school comes across less favorably than the "west coast" school and EDM. In fact, in the film it almost seems like one couldn't use a eurorack modular for anything other than EDM. ...

This is probably true, but I tend to discuss these in Europe/USA mode a lot more than East/West, mostly because discussing music history in America is impossible and a dead end, as the time elements when these things happened in SF/LA and NY, is completely out of whack, and impossible to discuss, however, one can use their timing in comparison to the European counterparts ... and while I will not say that one is better than the other, I will state that the Europeans had less fear in terms of playing around with it and learning to do something with the instrument ... in America, this became a dead end as no record company was going to touch these things! Record companies at the time, were still owned, for the most part in America, by the film companies, and this went back to the 1910/20's, by the way!

As for the part about the newer instruments, I think the point might be (will update this after I see the rest of it), that it just became a tool for folks that were replacing instruments in the orchestra/band, and that as such, the instrument would not be defined as a proper instrument. TODAY,  the synthesizer IS NOT AN INSTRUMENT in its own right anymore ... specially when Workstations and Samplers sell faster and better than synthesizers themselves. It has become a TOOL that applies any replacement it can ... and very few keyboard players are using these as an "instrument" on its own, instead of a copy/replica of another instrument! In this sense, the criticism is OK, although I do not think of it that badly ... there are some keyboard folks out there doing some neat things, although one can hardly hear them ... one of the best is Richard Barbieri with Porcupine Tree ... but he is drowned out by Steven Wilson! 
post edited by Moshkito - 2015/08/25 13:06:17

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/25 14:21:45 (permalink)
Moshkito
 there are some keyboard folks out there doing some neat things, although one can hardly hear them ... one of the best is Richard Barbieri with Porcupine Tree ... but he is drowned out by Steven Wilson! 

Barbieri is all about textures, not grandstanding. His choice of sounds and playing here is so subtle but perfect for the song, really beautiful.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Moshkito
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/26 10:14:48 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Moshkito
 there are some keyboard folks out there doing some neat things, although one can hardly hear them ... one of the best is Richard Barbieri with Porcupine Tree ... but he is drowned out by Steven Wilson! 

Barbieri is all about textures, not grandstanding. His choice of sounds and playing here is so subtle but perfect for the song, really beautiful.

hi,
There are few musicians I respect more than Richard.

In 1999, in the SF show, on the way from the airport, his Prophet 5 took a spill, and from noon to about 2PM, the keyboard was opened up in the back with folks trying to find the problem and find some parts, even at Radio Shack. They failed. Richard went backstage, and while 2 other bands played, he programmed and fixed 2 other synthesizers so he could have his stuff. The roadie for the band kept trashing the show, and while I had not, until that time, listeneed to the band at all, they sounded terrific and really well put together and organized very well. right in front of the promoter, I told the roadie to leave the building (I was one of the official photographers), as Steven had requested that no pictures be taken ... which I complied, but left Sean Ahearn very upset! The picture I have of Richard, in the dark, and my camera barely caught it, is, for me, one of my favorite pictures of all. There is concentration, and care, that goes beyond that ... true spirit!

It also shows the knowledge and understanding of his instrument.
post edited by Moshkito - 2015/08/26 10:40:13

drewfx1
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/28 22:14:00 (permalink)
One of the things about the film is that though they talk about it, it's hard to conceive how much smaller eurorack is than the classic Moog modulars and whatnot that people are familiar with - perhaps because you still always seem to see these huge racks of modules (due to the serious addictive nature of these things). And aside from all of the obvious reasons not to succumb to the temptation of a modular, size had always been the absolute deal breaker for me. Then I accidentally discovered how much smaller eurorack actually is.

Anyway, the other day I came across this picture of two recreations of the classic Moog 904A LPF that illustrates the difference nicely - original size on the left and eurorack on the right:

Oh, and one more thing the movie needs - more cowbell:

craigb
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/29 00:30:40 (permalink)
That module probably sounds better than this! 

synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/29 01:46:35 (permalink)
Moshkito
one of the best is Richard Barbieri with Porcupine Tree ... but he is drowned out by Steven Wilson! 

I've got Richard's solo album, Things Buried, and I listen to that a lot...

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
drewfx1
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/29 02:22:41 (permalink)
craigb
That module probably sounds better than this! 

You can get the first one I posted in a more traditional format too:

(and yes, it's a real product )

UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/08/31 15:15:59 (permalink)
Moshkito
It is not for everyone

Hi,

Truer words were never spoken.

Oh we're talking about synth setups, not opinions.

My bad.
post edited by bapu - 2015/08/31 15:25:03
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/09/06 23:57:43 (permalink)
bitflipper
Pictures at an Exhibition shows some of his most inventive interpretations

Yeah, this is one of my faves of Tomita...

As for "I Dream Of Wires," which became available in the UK the other day... On the one hand, I enjoyed it, but I was disappointed at the lack of credit to given to a lot of the other bands that were using the synths discussed in the 70's/80's. It seemed to miss out that era completely.

Amazon has a four hour version of this documentary, but, at £80, I don't think I'll bother...

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
craigb
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/09/07 00:28:07 (permalink)
I don't think I'd pay that much for ANY movie or documentary! 

drewfx1
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/09/30 21:34:59 (permalink)
For those who might still be dreaming, Moog is soon to announce a relatively inexpensive and small standalone eurorack compatible synth (blasphemy for them!) with 32 patch points:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/09/12/moog-going-eurorack-with-mother32-modular-synthesizer/#more-65774

EDIT: Video from Moog -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCJacEzcU7A
post edited by drewfx1 - 2015/10/01 12:53:47

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/09/30 21:54:45 (permalink)
Bitflipper is my go-to source of regret that I cancelled Netflix in favor of Amazon Prime. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/10/03 22:41:56 (permalink)
I enjoyed this actually.  I think some of you missed the point.  It was not about the people that made the instruments popular.  It was about the inventors and in particular what it was really about was the development of the Moog Modular from Bob Moog and the Buchla Modular as well and how they were created at roughly the same time and how they represented the very different use of modular synths.  (one produces music and the other produces noise!)

It was also about the resurgence of modulars today with all the new developers on the block.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Moshkito
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/10/04 12:48:25 (permalink)
Hi,

Was not able to get "I Dream of Wires" yet.
post edited by Moshkito - 2015/12/12 11:31:26

Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: I Dream of Wires 2015/10/06 19:00:37 (permalink)
If you are interested in Human League and where that 'sound' actually originated...
(History has ignored this one..)

https://youtu.be/mooVSknw3MY

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1