Constructive Criticism please!

Author
kylethao
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2015/10/02 19:42:22 (permalink)

Constructive Criticism please!

Hello!
Please give me some constructive criticism on improving my tune!
Thank you!

https://www.mediafire.com/?5jisy575vuzn03p

6th Rhythm

Lenovo Intel(R) Core i-52320
RAM:8Gb
Sonar X3
Native Int. Komplete Audio 6
Yamaha Motif XF6

Windows 7

6 Replies Related Threads

synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: Constructive Criticism please! 2015/10/03 03:26:09 (permalink)
    I'm not very good at this myself so I won't be able to help a great deal...

Bass is lost.

I think some of the distorted rhythm guitar sounds may be a bit "muddy," but don't ask me how to change that... Something to do with the mids...

Composition is fine. Will there be vocals?

So, yeah, there may be some work to do on this, so hopefully someone with some real knowledge of sound manipulation will call into this thread soon...

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: Constructive Criticism please! 2015/10/03 04:27:18 (permalink)
    I'm an amateur but I'll give you my take. This is a really nice melody and nice use of keys & guitar working together. Very cool guitar sound. Perhaps more reverb is used here than you really need, that seems to wash out some of the punch. The bass is muddied up with the guitar, they seem to be playing in some of the same frequencies. Also, highs seem to be lopped off so there's not much "sparkle" or sense of space in there.

Great effort, though, you have a very interesting sense of melody that makes the song unique. Keep at it! 
    kylethao
    Re: Constructive Criticism please! 2015/10/03 05:05:00 (permalink)
    kevinwal
    I'm an amateur but I'll give you my take. This is a really nice melody and nice use of keys & guitar working together. Very cool guitar sound. Perhaps more reverb is used here than you really need, that seems to wash out some of the punch. The bass is muddied up with the guitar, they seem to be playing in some of the same frequencies. Also, highs seem to be lopped off so there's not much "sparkle" or sense of space in there.

Great effort, though, you have a very interesting sense of melody that makes the song unique. Keep at it! 

Thanks for replying!

Im experimenting with alot of different mix versions but somehow i can never get the low and high end to even out.
    Not sure what i'm doing wrong. Probably everything.

6th Rhythm

Sonar X3
    Yamaha Motif XF6

Windows 7
    kylethao
    Re: Constructive Criticism please! 2015/10/03 05:06:24 (permalink)
    synkrotron
    I'm not very good at this myself so I won't be able to help a great deal...

Bass is lost.

I think some of the distorted rhythm guitar sounds may be a bit "muddy," but don't ask me how to change that... Something to do with the mids...

Composition is fine. Will there be vocals?

So, yeah, there may be some work to do on this, so hopefully someone with some real knowledge of sound manipulation will call into this thread soon...

cheers

andy

Yeah. 
    Definitely needs work. Thanks for replying!
    Not really sure what to do to make the low and high ends even out. 
    =(

6th Rhythm

Sonar X3
    Yamaha Motif XF6

Windows 7
    gruverider
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: Constructive Criticism please! 2015/10/04 15:57:13 (permalink)
    Hello, I enjoyed the tune.  Love that kick drum. and the melody on the verse is very lyrical.

As to the mix I would suggest you start with a google search of "LRC panning" and watch a few videos on this method.  It has helped me a lot.

The next videos I would suggest is techniques on the use of subtractive EQ.

Good song, much enjoyed!
    artturner
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re: Constructive Criticism please! 2015/10/04 23:42:39 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Like several others, I really liked the song. Great work!

The mix actually wasn't too bad on my crappy Toshiba laptop speakers. Someone above mentioned LCR panning. I don't know if that's the total answer, but panning instruments that share a common frequency range into different places in the stereo image usually does help a lot.

Sometimes switching over to a mono output instead of stereo helps me get the highs and lows balanced better.

Is everything going through the same reverb? In some places it sounded like instruments were in different rooms, if that makes sense. To clarify, I think you would want to have the same basic effects applied to all instruments, just in different levels. At least, that's the way I prefer to do it unless you're doing something really experimental.
    Hope this helps,
    Art
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1