Helpful ReplyAnother documentary recommendation

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2015/10/04 15:59:34 (permalink)

Another documentary recommendation

It's called "This Ain't no Mouse Music", about Chris Strachwitz and his eclectic record label Arhoolie Records.

It's a label that specializes in American roots music of every stripe. Many of the artists he's recorded are people who would have been unknown otherwise. Some were so obscure that he had to be a detective just to find out if where they were or if they were even real.

A good follow-up to the Keith Richards documentary Under the Influence.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/04 20:22:59 (permalink)
+2.5

Watched it two weeks ago.

bapu
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/04 20:24:04 (permalink)
BTW, my son lives bout 3 blocks from the store.

TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/05 11:00:06 (permalink)
+1

Cool! Other Arhoolie fans! I've picked up a number of terrific CDs from him. Thank you, Chris!

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
Mosvalve
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1194
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/06 19:40:27 (permalink)
You guys may enjoy these five documentaries if you haven't seen them yet.

http://blog.sonicbids.com/5-more-music-documentaries-you-should-watch-on-youtube-this-weekend

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/07 10:32:29 (permalink)
'Mr Blue Sky' about ELO's 'G. Lynn' was a cool music doc. Musician Producer, down to earth multi-instrumentalist with a clear vision of his musical ideas.

bitflipper
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/08 22:58:13 (permalink)
Kamikaze, I couldn't find anything about a Geoff Lynn documentary. Where'd you find it?

My Stuff
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/09 10:49:11 (permalink)
Hi,

The David Bowie documentary on "Behind the Music" is good too.

The BBC documentary on "Krautrock" is also excellent, but several hours long and quite detailed ... but for some reason the last hour is mangled badly and that is the hour that has David Bowie discussing it, and mentioning its influence on him.

Most rock documentaries do not discuss the other things that David studies, and it is acting, and theater and mime, and in many ways, the performance side of these things in experimental theater, is far more advanced in work, than most rock music is, and he seems to be an avid listener of a lot of different, cultural and odd things ... on purpose ... to get better ideas for what he does. But he is honest enough to credit them when it is there, and he does well in the "krautrock" special, though he knows who the real stars are.

He is also courageous ... no American (or Cakewalk'an) would ever tackle Kurt Weill and Bertold Brecht ... and David did, and sounded well, though not great in my book, because it was not in a theatrical environment per se, and its quality suffered a bit because of it, but otherwise good, and sort of a capella all the way. you learn a lot from doing different things, but for many folks, "different" means a different effect on their guitar only. not for David!
post edited by Moshkito - 2015/10/09 11:04:35

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/09 12:58:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2015/10/09 13:15:51
Moshkito

no American (or Cakewalk'an) would ever tackle Kurt Weill and Bertold Brecht ..

Yes they would. A LOT of Tom Waits work is influenced by Weill. The album 'The Black Rider' is a theatrical collaboration between Waits, William Burroughs and director Robert Wilson, very much in the style of Brecht and Weill. Check it out, it's JUST the kind of thing you're always berating us for not knowing anything about....

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
bapu
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/09 13:06:35 (permalink)
If the Forum Monkeys ever had a documentary it would be VERY short.

A monkey flinging p..........      never mind.
S.L.I.P.
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 949
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/09 21:07:06 (permalink)
A Band Called Death:

"Before Bad Brains, the Sex Pistols or even the Ramones, there was a band called Death.
Punk before punk existed, three teenage brothers in the early '70s formed a band in their spare bedroom, began playing a few local gigs and even pressed a single in the hopes of getting signed. But this was the era of Motown and emerging disco. Record companies found Death’s music— and band name—too intimidating, and the group were never given a fair shot, disbanding before they even completed one album. Equal parts electrifying rockumentary and epic family love story, A Band Called Death chronicles the incredible fairy-tale journey of what happened almost three decades later, when a dusty 1974 demo tape made its way out of the attic and found an audience several generations younger. Playing music impossibly ahead of its time, Death is now being credited as the first black punk band (hell...the first punk band!), and are finally receiving their long overdue recognition as true rock pioneers."
bapu
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/09 21:20:50 (permalink)
S.L.I.P.
A Band Called Death:

"Before Bad Brains, the Sex Pistols or even the Ramones, there was a band called Death.
Punk before punk existed, three teenage brothers in the early '70s formed a band in their spare bedroom, began playing a few local gigs and even pressed a single in the hopes of getting signed. But this was the era of Motown and emerging disco. Record companies found Death’s music— and band name—too intimidating, and the group were never given a fair shot, disbanding before they even completed one album. Equal parts electrifying rockumentary and epic family love story, A Band Called Death chronicles the incredible fairy-tale journey of what happened almost three decades later, when a dusty 1974 demo tape made its way out of the attic and found an audience several generations younger. Playing music impossibly ahead of its time, Death is now being credited as the first black punk band (hell...the first punk band!), and are finally receiving their long overdue recognition as true rock pioneers."

Yeah, we watched that about 4 or 5 months ago.
Moshkito
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 12:31:06 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Moshkito

Yes they would. A LOT of Tom Waits work is influenced by Weill. The album 'The Black Rider' is a theatrical collaboration between Waits, William Burroughs and director Robert Wilson, very much in the style of Brecht and Weill. Check it out, it's JUST the kind of thing you're always berating us for not knowing anything about....

My bad ... I missed the smiley! But the discussion of it, is crazy, and difficult. It wasn't meant to say that you guys are stupid (you all obviously are NOT!!!), but the discussions and comments, are almost always so far removed from other arts and disciplines, that when someone mentions it, like I do, it's like ... what? ... and then one person makes a comment like you ... in the middle of 1568 posts by all others.

My point is that these arts exist ... and they are there. But American life is tough because of the media controls, and the top ten lists, and consequently, the discussion of something completely different is rarely seen, or mentioned ... until one day ... the mouse shows up!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
bapu
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 12:32:34 (permalink)
Moshkito
jamesg1213
Moshkito

My bad ... I missed the smiley! But the discussion of it, is crazy, and difficult. It wasn't meant to say that you guys are stupid (you all obviously are NOT!!!), but the discussions and comments, are almost always so far removed from other arts and disciplines, that when someone mentions it, like I do, it's like ... what? ... and then one person makes a comment like you ... in the middle of 1568 posts by all others.

My point is that these arts exist ... and they are there. But American life is tough because of the media controls, and the top ten lists, and consequently, the discussion of something completely different is rarely seen, or mentioned ... until one day ... the mouse shows up!

Pedro,

You do know that James lives in Scotland, not America, right?
Moshkito
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 12:35:58 (permalink)
bapu

You're kidding!

I would make the RUTLES look like total idiots! Unless you already have given up showing up Monty Python! The interviews themselves would be great, instead of hammed up stuff that them old folks did for that movie, which was boring and more boring.
post edited by Moshkito - 2015/10/10 12:48:58

jamesg1213
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 12:38:59 (permalink)
Moshkito
jamesg1213
Moshkito

So...you going to check out 'The Black Rider' by Tom Waits then? I have it on CD.

Jyemz

Moshkito
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 12:41:05 (permalink)
bapu

And I know nothing about Scotland or their music ... will not stop to count how many LP's and bands I have, then!

Is that a country?

jamesg1213
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 12:41:05 (permalink)
bapu
Moshkito
jamesg1213
Moshkito

Pedro,

I do?

Now things are starting to make sense....

Jyemz

Moshkito
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 12:43:27 (permalink)
jamesg1213

So...you going to check out 'The Black Rider' by Tom Waits then? I have it on CD.

I might have to listen to Laurie Anderson first and all that Burroughs stuff ... and Tom after that. He is not one of my favorites at all, and sometimes boring, but on occasion he gets used just fine in some films. Wim Wenders loves him, as do a couple of other folks. I have not heard the last album of his at all ... but will be in the lookout for it.

In general, for me, I would like to see more musicians take on poetry, and more poets take on music ... but it is hard and harsh ... if I suggest that to the CHB, I will get laughed at from here to Sh'angri-La and back!  Not to mention the Craig jokes right behind it!  Or the ... other comments!

And I have posted a lot of poetry here, btw!
post edited by Moshkito - 2015/10/10 12:57:10

jamesg1213
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 13:05:33 (permalink)
Moshkito

In general, for me, I would like to see more musicians take on poetry, and more poets take on music ...

Well, if you don't consider this the epitome of both, I can't help you;

Jyemz

bapu
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 13:13:33 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Moshkito

In general, for me, I would like to see more musicians take on poetry, and more poets take on music ...

My fav track on that album.

Actually that CD was the soundtrack for my life for about 6 months in 2003.
Moshkito
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 13:13:50 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Moshkito 

I'll catch this at home .. at work right now.

The music work I am trying to do right now, is my own poetry, btw ... and the visuals, I have not decided as yet, since what I do is of a visual nature that the music helps create and define, thus, imagery for me, would have to be very specific, and this is not as easy as that ... given my Lean/Kubrick/Gilliam/Brook style of imagery.

Werner Herzog, in the earlier days, used a lot of poetry on his works, though one would never be able to tell, unless you knew it. Wim Wenders used a lot of stuff on "Until the End of the World" ... which is not a great film, but makes me wonder if should have been a video for MTV of various musics and bands. The only other director that used poetry face on, and other literary works, was Nicholas Roeg, and "performance" is by far, one of the most literary of all films ... but too visually artistic for anyone to make sense of it ... and get lost along the way! A visual/poetry treat all the way through.

jamesg1213
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 13:17:36 (permalink)
bapu
jamesg1213
Moshkito

My fav track on that album.

Actually that CD was the soundtrack for my life for about 6 months in 2003.

Brilliant stuff. Waits is the musical equivalent of Film Noir.

'Small Change' is another good example.

Jyemz

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/10 22:13:36 (permalink)
Hey James, you do realize that Mosh lives in Pedro-land, right? 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
bitflipper
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/11 11:12:15 (permalink)
Tom Waits may be one of my neighbors.

Pretty sure it's the creepy one I see peeking out through the blinds. I've always wondered what that guy was up to.

My Stuff
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/12 19:16:35 (permalink)
"This Ain't No Mouse Music", sounds like a winner, Bit, I’ll have to add it to my Netflix list.

I also enjoyed “Muscle Shoals” on Netflix, about the early history of Fame studios down in Alabama.

I recently watched and HIGHLY recommend for any recording musician or even anyone who just listens to or buys music, to check out the music documentary “Artifact” on Netflix.  It’s a really interesting, straight forward fact checking look at the changes and current state of the music industry, and the stuff the major labels have been getting away with.

Make sure to check out the industry breakdown infographics starting at about 28 minutes in, and don’t miss the very last minute of the documentary to see what finally transpires!  AMAZING!!!

Check it out if you can, shocking stuff!

Have a good one!
Bob

bitflipper
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/13 10:41:01 (permalink)
Thanks, Bob. I'll watch that one today.

I liked the Muscle Shoals film quite a lot, too. Prior to that I didn't know the actual name of the studio, it was always just "Muscle Shoals".

My Stuff
Moshkito
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/13 10:43:29 (permalink)
bapu

No toothpaste, either?

bapu
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/13 11:04:29 (permalink)
bitflipper
Thanks, Bob. I'll watch that one today.

I liked the Muscle Shoals film quite a lot, too. Prior to that I didn't know the actual name of the studio, it was always just "Muscle Shoals".

Watched it last night.
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Another documentary recommendation 2015/10/13 11:31:21 (permalink)
bitflipper
Kamikaze, I couldn't find anything about a Geoff Lynn documentary. Where'd you find it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2440214/

I'm not sure how posting this links fits in with the forum policies. So apologies if it oversteps a mark.
https://yts.to/movie/mr-b...of-jeff-lynne-elo-2012

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1