Why Native Instruments kinda sucks

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 10:17:28 (permalink)
mudgel
If you have the NI fx and haven't used them, you're really missing out on some really good plugs.

I forget to use them as they just don't seem mainstream, but then I remember I have them and am pleasantly surprised by their quality emulations.

I try to use them every chance I get to get more familiar with them. I have pretty much decided that between T-Racks and Komplete Ultimate I have high quality and won't be chasing down much else. Every one of them is good enough and good enough is good enough. Translation: Waves can Waves goodbye to my money. As to the OP, I agree NI's presets are not always the best. I hear some new synth and think it's the business and play around with it and think,"Oh, this is another Razor". Really good presets on a new synth can really tug at your money.  

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 10:22:37 (permalink)
No more Waves, I can dig that. But this iZotope deal is another thing. Fantastic metering in Insight. And the mastering of Ozone 6 (soon to be Ozone 7) is up there with the best. I'm not giving my money to the FF Dutch!

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
BassDaddy
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 10:33:48 (permalink)
stevec
Are we talking about the FX in regular or Ultimate?   I have regular K9 so am curious what to look for next time around. 

The Solid plugs are in K9 aren't they? And the Transient Master, I think those are Softube. I upgraded to K9U and didn't think too much about them but they add a lot of value to K9U IMHO. I like the DBX comp.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
BassDaddy
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 10:38:42 (permalink)
Fleer
No more Waves, I can dig that. But this iZotope deal is another thing. Fantastic metering in Insight. And the mastering of Ozone 6 (soon to be Ozone 7) is up there with the best. I'm not giving my money to the FF Dutch!

I'm  sure the iZotope deal is great, I just can't spend more money in that area right now. Besides, I splurged and got a box of Honey Nut Cheerios this month instead of regular.

It's Bass, not Bass.
BassDaddy
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 10:43:45 (permalink)
arachnaut, you should start another thread on Molekular and the Kore Sound packs. I would love to hear more with out hijacking this thread.

It's Bass, not Bass.
Fleer
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 10:44:36 (permalink)
So you're the one. You probably also took those last Blueberry cereals from Post. Damn you, Bassy Dad!
Didn't like the iZotope price tag either, but on top of what I already had I payed $209 so total cost was some $300 which is way too high, but not buying this would haunt me later. So, stale bread and no butter for the rest of this month.

Fleer
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 10:48:15 (permalink)
Back OT, I'm also puzzled when I see what the NI Komplete Ultimate bundle could have been. Not that it's bad, hell no, but it could have been so much better. Even looking at Kontakt 5 shows this.

stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 10:55:18 (permalink)
BassDaddy
stevec
Are we talking about the FX in regular or Ultimate?   I have regular K9 so am curious what to look for next time around. 

The Solid plugs are in K9 aren't they? And the Transient Master, I think those are Softube. I upgraded to K9U and didn't think too much about them but they add a lot of value to K9U IMHO. I like the DBX comp.

K9 does include the Solid Mix series - EQ, Comp and Dynamics.   Googling K9U, it adds the Premium Tube Series, Reverb Classics and Vintage Compressors - so those I do not have.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Snehankur
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 507
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 12:27:30 (permalink)
My problem with NI is when I explore I find many presets/patches are usable but I fail to keep track of them to use in future and I forget.
I cannot remember the names and type of the sound.
Also pls guide where to get nice natural sounds not synth.
Regards
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 12:28:25 (permalink)
arachnaut
sharke
The manuals are so bad I would consider it grounds for a refund. Take Molekular, the "revolutionary" new modular effect unit they rave so much about. It has a lot of wacky effect modules that you'll probably never, ever want to use in a track because they just don't seem to produce anything approaching a musical sound. So why would you ever want to chain 4 of them together, cross modulating everything in their path? Let's say you want to learn about the "Plagiarism" effect. Here's NI's explanation in the manual: 

"The input signal’s amplitude is measured using an envelope follower. The measured RMS data
is used to trigger 16 envelopes, which in turn are used to play back 16 “voices.” The voices
are commonly switched between bandpass, sine-wave, or pulse-wave modes. The pitch or center
frequency of each voice is generated from a base pitch plus per-voice offset that is read
from a look-up table with various interval sequences. For example, the 16 voices can be configured
to play the base pitch and its first 15 harmonics as sine waves. In pulse-wave mode,
the envelope is additionally used to modulate pulse width."

Totally understandable right? You totally know where you are from that. 

But this is how all of their manuals are written. ...

Molekular is not a very good example and it is not a typical manual from NI by any means.

It was based on a Kore series of software called Deep Freq and Deep Transformations by Denis Gökdag from SSFX (now with Zynaptiq). 

In that original manual Denis describes 3 presets in great detail and then concludes that to describe them all would take a 150 page manual that would leave the reader brain-dead.

The presets that came with Molekular are not very good in my opinion. Simon Stockhausen has a much better set on his patchpool web site.

I made a few presets for the user library and, having spent a few weeks, decided that it was way too much work - I would just make a preset whenever I thought I needed one. Getting a bunch of stuff to morph properly is very difficult, far more difficult in Molekular than Skanner (which also has dynamic morphing). But just making a single preset is much easier.

No matter what instrument or effect I buy, I usually am lucky to find 5 or 10 useful presets that fit my taste. The rest are just starting points for my own preset.

To get back to Molekular. I've found that knowing how some effect, like Plagiarism, is designed, MIGHT help you use it. But in my experience, nothing beats twiddling the knobs, fooling around, and discovering for oneself how to make it work for them.

Here is one of Denis' patch description for a Plagiarism patch. I put in only the image, not the text description as an example.

Later in the manual there is a description of the design of Plagiarism that is over 5 pages long. I looked at it once - I'd never read it.

Also, in my opinion, you tend to get the best advice by asking questions on the Reaktor (or other NI) User Forum. From the various types of questions we see there it appears that very few ever crack open a manual.

I don't dispute that fooling around with the knobs is the best way to feel something out, however if I have just a basic understanding of the idea of a synth or effect then I find that my knob twiddlings are far more constructive. The Molekular manual is terrible at explaining what the basic idea of the effects do. I get that it's technical, but some people are clearly better than others at explaining technical things in easy to understand terms. It's not just Molekular, I found the Spark and Prism manuals pretty baffling as well. I do find it interesting that there have never been Groove3 courses on either of those synths despite them being flagship NI products, and I'm convinced it's because nobody else can make enough sense of the manual to make a video on it. 

One other issue I have with products like Molekular, and indeed other NI synths and effects, is that there seem to me to be way too many places to adjust things like mix and modulation levels. For example with Molekular, you have master mix, fx and dry controls. Then each effect has not only a mix control but also a separate wet level as well as the output level. Is it really necessary to have that extra wet level control? Surely you can achieve what you want with nothing more than a mix control and an output control. Same with the master controls - why have separate dry and FX knobs when you could just have a one master mix knob leading to master output? I get that they're trying to give the user the maximum level of control possible, but sometimes that's just too much control. It makes gain staging and dry/wet adjusting a never ending chore. 

Incidentally, I don't know if you've ever experienced a problem with Molekular not saving modulation assignments properly with a project? I have an instance of it that's just basically an LFO assigned to a filter cutoff in mono. However, whenever I load the project, that modulation signal has been switched to stereo despite the little stereo icon not being lit under the cutoff's modulation slider. I have to unassign the modulation and reassign it every time I load the project. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Snehankur
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 507
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 12:28:56 (permalink)
Also I have a doubt -> samples, cutting, looping are we creating music or assembling music?
sharke
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/03 12:34:10 (permalink)
stevec
BassDaddy
stevec

K9 does include the Solid Mix series - EQ, Comp and Dynamics.   Googling K9U, it adds the Premium Tube Series, Reverb Classics and Vintage Compressors - so those I do not have.

Those Solid plugs, as well as the Vintage Compressor series, are excellent. I've never used the real hardware the VC2A and VC76 are supposed to emulate but they are just excellent sounding compressors to my ears. I like the VC2A a little better than Cakewalk's. The Premium Tube series are excellent too - at least the Enhanced EQ and Passive EQ are. I've never really played with the Vari Comp yet. Enhanced EQ is excellent for adding low end whoomph to drum loops, or sparkle to dull sounding hats. The RC 24 and RC 48 reverbs are great sounding too. You can't really go wrong with Softube. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
BassDaddy
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 10:39:42 (permalink)
Did anyone get the upgrade to Replika the 2014 Christmas gift.

It's Bass, not Bass.
cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 10:43:19 (permalink)
BassDaddy
Did anyone get the upgrade to Replika the 2014 Christmas gift.

Don't install 1.2.2...it will  wreak havoc....

BassDaddy
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 10:52:09 (permalink)
I remember that. They haven't fixed that yet? Why would you want to buy the upgrade if the freebie doesn't work?

It's Bass, not Bass.
sharke
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 12:01:02 (permalink)
My version of Replika is fully up to date and I've never had a single problem with it despite using it on multiple tracks in projects. 

James
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 12:03:38 (permalink)
sharke
My version of Replika is fully up to date and I've never had a single problem with it despite using it on multiple tracks in projects. 

Bet you are running Win7 or you don't run windows update or something...
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/10/04 12:13:05

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
sharke
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 14:37:37 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
sharke

Bet you are running Win7 or you don't run windows update or something...

Guess again, Windows 10 all fully up to date.

James
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 14:54:59 (permalink)
Well maybe for Win10 it works..

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
cclarry
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 14:57:18 (permalink)
Nope...I'm on Win 10...didn't work...

Crash and burn...

Guess Sharke is one of the lucky ones...

sharke
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 16:25:57 (permalink)
I have a project with 4 instances of it, one on a bus, the others on tracks. No crashes. I've heard people report them so obviously they're happening, seems like my system is immune. I wonder what all that's about. Doesn't seem like the kind of plugin that should cause problems - a delay with stereo imaging, filter and phaser.

James
cclarry
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 17:41:35 (permalink)
sharke
I have a project with 4 instances of it, one on a bus, the others on tracks. No crashes. I've heard people report them so obviously they're happening, seems like my system is immune. I wonder what all that's about. Doesn't seem like the kind of plugin that should cause problems - a delay with stereo imaging, filter and phaser.

I agree...I find it odd that a plugin can be so "unstable"...but it obviously happens...

cclarry
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 17:42:15 (permalink)
Another plugin like that is Metric Halo plugins...Sonar hates them....

Crash and burn...

Magic Russ
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 412
Re: Why Native Instruments kinda sucks 2015/10/04 23:54:18 (permalink)
Snehankur
My problem with NI is when I explore I find many presets/patches are usable but I fail to keep track of them to use in future and I forget.
I cannot remember the names and type of the sound.

With Reaktor, it can be even worse because not only do you need to figure out which patch you are looking for, but you also need to remember which ensemble it was in.

Fortunately, Sonar's track templates store this information.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1