Am i missing something?

Author
HELLYA
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 106
2015/09/17 17:55:24 (permalink)

Am i missing something?

Hi everyone

I've a got a midi track (Trillian Spectrasonics and just that track, nothing else on the project). I put a compressor (pro channel) on the audio track and a compressor (pro channel) on the master bus. I'm watching the peaks with the meter. Should have a maximum -5,6 db. Export the track but ended up with more db (-4 or more )...what am i doing wrong? I've tried with the same midi track (copy special) on another new project but with the same result....mmmmhhhhh???? The project was started in X1 to migrate to X3.

Am i missing something?

Thanks

Laptop Intel i3-2330M 2.20ghz RAM;6.00 GO
Windows 7 64 bit

Sonar X1-X2-X3 Producer all 64 bit
Toontrack Superior Drummer, DKFH,
EZ Mix
Spectrasonics Trillian
IK multimedia Amplitube Metal
Guitar rig 5
TH2 Overloud

25 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/21 15:42:57 (permalink)
    HELLYA
    Hi everyone

I've a got a midi track (Trillian Spectrasonics and just that track, nothing else on the project). I put a compressor (pro channel) on the audio track and a compressor (pro channel) on the master bus. I'm watching the peaks with the meter. Should have a maximum -5,6 db. Export the track but ended up with more db (-4 or more )...what am i doing wrong? I've tried with the same midi track (copy special) on another new project but with the same result....mmmmhhhhh???? The project was started in X1 to migrate to X3.

Am i missing something?

Thanks

Try this for me and see if it makes a difference...

Whenever you use a VSTi in real time without bouncing it, right click on your pro channel compressor or on one of the separator bars in PC and set it for "post". In pre mode (the default) the processing is not as strong. You will also notice you get more EQ power in post mode. This really helps when you are using VSTi stuff in real time....drums, bass, anything else. Other than those times, I always use "pre" or in other words, post left unchecked. See if that helps you any. Good luck.

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/21 16:19:21 (permalink)
    What are your export settings?

If you're using Entire Mix, switch to Main Outs

Hi Danny!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Danny Danzi
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/21 16:44:00 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Hi Danny!

Hi Jonesey!!! Good to see you brother! Hope all is well. :)

My Site
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/21 16:51:11 (permalink)
    All good Danny, except my DAW is 100 miles away being repaired.

I'm always as nervous as a kitten until it comes back

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Danny Danzi
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/24 01:55:37 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Uggh, sorry to hear that....but glad you are ok otherwise. I'd be a mess in your position also. I'm sitting here scared to death wondering if I should try to upgrade to Win 10. I have a few pieces that I really need that I'm afraid won't be usable any longer. I so hate this phase of the business. :( Hope your DAW gets back safe and sound!

-Danny

My Site
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/25 05:40:19 (permalink)
    Yeah, tell me about it!!

I had a noise issue which we suspected may have been a noisy fan so they offered to fix it for free if it was the cpu fan, but if it was the PSU fan then I'd have to pay for a new one.

Turned out it wasn't a fan it was a noisy HDD.

Now, here's where it gets interesating, I returned it to them last year to get the 3 internal HDD's put into HDD silencers.
    They've since told me that there was only room for 2 silencers inside the case so one was running "free", presumably the noisy one.

So...... they are now re-imaging my system drive and are going to install this onto a 1TB SSD along with everything from my sample drive. The old sample drive I'm going to use for mixdowns.

So now I'm even more nervous than I was hah hah!!

Danny Danzi
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/25 23:42:02 (permalink)
    Oh I'd be feeling the same! At the end of the day, if all works out, you'll be in much better shape than you were. If not, it may be a good time to call Jim Roseberry here in the states. ;) I bought one of the best machines ever from him...still running like a madman....until I attempt to put win 10 on...lol....I'm nervous as heck to even try to put Win 10 on that box!

My Site
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/26 05:33:13 (permalink)
    Hey Danny, remember the old saying 'If it Ain't Broke dont fix it'

I am still on Win 7 and will be for quite some time ahead.  If you think you are going to get some sort of quantum leap in performance well you may be disappointed.  You may only end up with a whole lot of frustration.

If it’s running sweet now I say especially for the pro users who depend on it big time leave it alone.

I don’t know why everyone is rushing into it. There needs to be a few updates yet don’t you think.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Danny Danzi
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/27 11:19:42 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    Hey Danny, remember the old saying 'If it Ain't Broke dont fix it'

I am still on Win 7 and will be for quite some time ahead.  If you think you are going to get some sort of quantum leap in performance well you may be disappointed.  You may only end up with a whole lot of frustration.

If it’s running sweet now I say especially for the pro users who depend on it big time leave it alone.

I don’t know why everyone is rushing into it. There needs to be a few updates yet don’t you think.

Haha trust me Jeff, I so hate change with computers. I'm trying my best to stay away as long as I can but I have that little Windows 10 reminder running in my system tray. Lol!

If it were up-to me, I would still be on XP but I must confess I've had nothing but outstanding results with Windows 7. I'm so against change, I literally buy new computers when there is an operating system change. The downside to that is, I have at least 1 or more PC's per OS. The thing I like about that is I can always just boot up and use old software or hardware. But of course the system may be slow compared to what I'm using today. My win 95 box is useless other than to take a trip down memory lane but my win 98 se box is actually quite amazing. Lol! Anyway, I'm totally with you brother. I'm going to try win 10 on one of my internet boxes to see how it works and then I'll hook up some of my recording gear to it and at least I'll know what I'll be up against.

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2015/09/27 11:30:14

My Site
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/27 12:57:50 (permalink)
    I was a die-hard fan of XP Pro, but do have to say I came to like Windows 7 better.  It was more stable, and more grown up.

I subsequently went to 8 and then 8.1.1, and like it just fine.  I am in no hurry to go to 10 yet, and in maybe 5-6 months I will start looking to see what is going on with it, as I will be replacing my current computer to a brand new one, so will look then.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/27 15:29:52 (permalink)
    @ Danny - Been on XP for the last...what...8 years? Never really got involved with 7 or 8. Just upgraded my DAW to Win 10 and reinstalled Sonar 8, new interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i4)..so far, all running fine. W10 takes some getting used to ('all apps? where are my 'programs'??..'file explorer'..where's 'my computer' gone? ) but I've kept the old machine as a failsafe...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/28 10:15:31 (permalink)
    I run Sonar on 3 different systems and so far I've upgraded to Win 10 on 2 of them, but not my main DAW.

sonar urns perfectly well on the 2 but I know for a fact there is no compatible driver for the interface I use on my DAW, so the upgrade to W10 will have to wait until I'm ready to upgrade the interface as well.

I suppose I could try it with one of the other 2 systems and see what happens.

Hmm. Got me thinking now.

Danny Danzi
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/09/28 10:48:32 (permalink)
    My issue as well, Jonesey. I have an echo Layla that I love. They don't have win 10 drivers for it and I don't know how the compatibility will be. Heck they don't even have drivers for my current I interface which is built into my Midas m 32 console so I really can't do anything. The Layla is good for clients that are hooked on higher sample rates. That's the only time I use it. Might have to retire it. Then there's all the older software I like that works better than the newer stuff in some instances that really annoys me. I so hate operating system updates. :(

-Danny

My Site
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/10/06 12:09:15 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi
    Bristol_Jonesey

Uggh, sorry to hear that....but glad you are ok otherwise. I'd be a mess in your position also. I'm sitting here scared to death wondering if I should try to upgrade to Win 10. I have a few pieces that I really need that I'm afraid won't be usable any longer. I so hate this phase of the business. :( Hope your DAW gets back safe and sound!

-Danny

Update:

Got my computer back last Friday. Installed it in the rack, plugged everything in & booted up.

I couldn't believe it!!

So I unplugged everything, removed it from the rack & whipped the covers off, only to find that the bloody power lead to the system drive wasn't connected 

This fixed it, although as far as I can tell, the noise really hasn't abated at all! It MUST be one of the fans.

I'm going to take it out of the rack (again!!) remove the covers and work out which one it is.
    They must be practically deaf to say they can't hear anything.

And they work in audio?

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/10/06 13:08:30 (permalink)
    Eh?  Say what?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/10/12 15:47:44 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey
    And they work in audio?

Audio, not noise.

Simples.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/11/05 09:27:20 (permalink)
    Got to say. I think Win 10 is the best DAW OS I've tried.

It's clearly the best Wimdows OS from release. Others have needed several major updates to become stable.

The advantage Win 10 has is that's what developers are now programming for.

I waited a little while and then figured there were enough positive experiences to give it a go. I do have to qualify this with the fact that I'm now fully retired so don't have any pressing audio projects that are likely to be effected by a failure. That's probably the biggest advantage I have so I can understand reluctance on the part of those who are working pros.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Danny Danzi
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/11/05 10:41:16 (permalink)
    That's great to know, Mike. I'm sitting here wondering whether or not to pull the trigger. My biggest concern is old gear like my Layla 24/96 will stop working and I don't even see an update to my current console interface which really scares me. Then there are older programs that I use that I never updated because the newer ones didn't impress me. All that makes me hesitant. My systems pass the little test they give but I don't feel confident. I hate being in this position. :(

-Danny

My Site
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/11/19 11:58:53 (permalink)
    Danny, can you take on old PC and upgrade to Windows 10, then attempt to connect legacy equipment to that?  That way your money making machine is not touched!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Danny Danzi
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/11/19 13:27:51 (permalink)
    patm300e
    Danny, can you take on old PC and upgrade to Windows 10, then attempt to connect legacy equipment to that?  That way your money making machine is not touched!

That's what I was going to try. Even there, I don't think there will be drivers for my older devices that will be compatible. Heck I don't even see drivers for my newer stuff yet. Then there's the old software that may not work that I really don't feel like buying new stuff for or learning a new version of something. I may get lucky with some of the software using compatibility mode, but the drivers on some of my older stuff is what scares me. I'm going to have to purchase a new interface just for those stupid high sample rates that people think make such a big difference on. I so hate os update time.

All this stuff is fun and challenging when you don't have to run a business. But when you do....whew, all the time it can take can really put you in a deep hole.

-Danny

My Site
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/11/19 14:40:48 (permalink)
    Try the drivers in Windows 7 compatibility mode...Might work...Might not. 

I know that my rig (Old Presonus FirePod) doe NOT have any compatible drivers.  Still trying to figure out what to do and when...I guess I COULD switch to my Mackie 1640 with FW card...Crap, that is not supported either...

Well I am in a pickle now aren't I?  Maybe a new Presonus Studio 192:
    http://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-192

Any thoughts on this?
    post edited by patm300e - 2015/11/19 14:51:42

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Danny Danzi
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/11/23 14:49:29 (permalink)
    patm300e
    Try the drivers in Windows 7 compatibility mode...Might work...Might not. 

I know that my rig (Old Presonus FirePod) doe NOT have any compatible drivers.  Still trying to figure out what to do and when...I guess I COULD switch to my Mackie 1640 with FW card...Crap, that is not supported either...

Well I am in a pickle now aren't I?  Maybe a new Presonus Studio 192:
    http://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-192

Any thoughts on this?

I don't think there is a driver compatibility mode....that compatibility thing is usually (at least in my experience) for software only. Like for example, when my Logitech Cam for XP wouldn't work on Win 7, I didn't get an option to try another driver. It just would not work on 7 forcing me to have to buy another cam.

So you seem to be in the same situation as me. I'm not a Presonus fan, so I'm the wrong person to ask. I like their Studio One software, but other than that, none of their hardware has impressed me. I'm going to wait as long as I can before I upgrade to Win 10. I may even just buy another PC and gear it for that particular OS so that I can learn it and mess with it in any spare time I may have that doesn't result in any down time for my business.

-Danny

My Site
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/11/23 14:54:01 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi
    and mess with it in any spare time 

Danny Danzi* has any spare time. Unheard of!

*The busiest man on the forum.
    Danny Danzi
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/11/23 14:58:59 (permalink)
    bapu
    Danny Danzi
    and mess with it in any spare time 

Danny Danzi* has any spare time. Unheard of!

*The busiest man on the forum.

Ed, you're so right! I have been trying to take weekends off though....burning the candle at both ends is getting old....and so am I. But...in this economy, you gotta strike while you can. You know how it goes. Add that and well, *SOME* studios are struggling these days (thank God that's not my case) due to people being able to buy software and DIY and a tough economy for some folks. But I am trying to enjoy life a bit more because it does move too fast. I sometimes think it pays to work for someone....9-5, you leave the stuff at the job and you are like everyone else. Then again....if you work for a tyrant and have someone up your butt watching your every move....ugh, that would get old fast too! :)

-Danny

My Site
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Am i missing something? 2015/11/23 15:05:08 (permalink)
    Danny that is the way I went about it and I highly recommend it. Especially for those who are running a business and are concerned about making big changes like that.

When I went from my XP 32 bit install to my current Win 7 64 bit install I bought a new machine and just spent the time setting it up completely on the side. Did not touch the then current XP install at all. Just left it alone and fully operational.

On the side I set up the new machine installed the OS even bought a new RME audio interface for it and a new midi interface. Tested it fully and got it all running up sweet. Then when things were a little quieter for me I just installed it into my main setup. 

I actually did not fully remove the XP setup either but rather moved it to the left and connected it up via audio and midi and networked the two. The two computers running at the same time is rather excellent. I can harness the power of the old setup anytime. It also allows you to run older programs, VST's etc...

BTW the new Presonus 192 interface is very nice. I have heard it. As is the CS18Ai as well and they both integrate pretty tight with Studio One 3 but that is a different story I guess.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2015/11/23 15:17:47

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1