Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky

Author
componentrare123
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2015/10/02 14:43:39 (permalink)

Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky

When I totally clear the Picture Cache scrolling and dragging is pretty smooth and flows okay....as soon as I start to work on the project in hand, the scrolling and dragging soon starts to become a problem again. There are not that many Picture Cache files built up but it's causing a problem until I totally clear all Picture Cache again.

Are there any adjustments anywhere I can make ?

Sonar X1 ...Windows 7

25 Replies Related Threads

Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/02 14:45:15 (permalink)
    Exclude your antivirus realtime scanner from the picturecache folder.
    Update your display drivers.
    Make sure you are on Sonar X1D.
    Run windows update.
    Defragment your hard drive.

Ta.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/02 15:14:44 (permalink)
    Hi. You do not by any chance have scroll lock enabled on your keyboard?
    All the best.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

componentrare123
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/02 17:19:26 (permalink)
    Thanx ..I gleaned some info from the forum and enlarged my cache from 500 to 1000 which seems excessive but it seems,so far, to have worked ...I don't know how ...maybe it's just zapped a gremlin ...

If the problem returns I'll try the suggestions above...
    componentrare123
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/05 19:07:36 (permalink)
    Problem is back.. This is quite bad at times . I have to stop working, close the project, open Cache and clear all files then resume. After that the problem is gone but gradually it returns. It only needs a hundred or so files in Cache to start all the stuttering and jerking ...also the now line doesn't flow it hops along.
    I've tried all the suggestions above but it hasn't made any difference at all.
    Apart from Picture Cache I haven't a clue what to try .

The PC is for dedicated music only ..not connected to the web. No anti virus or anything, there's no other problems on anything, all graphics and display are set to optimum.

Cc
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/05 20:12:33 (permalink)
    I had a somewhat similar issue previously. I updated my graphics driver and the issue went away.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    componentrare123
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/06 06:08:58 (permalink)
    Thanks...I updated the graphics a couple of months ago...I 'll try another upgrade as there's nothing else I can try at the moment.
    componentrare123
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/06 08:52:18 (permalink)
    Windows 7 graphic driver is up to date and so is the motherboards....still the same problem, is my only option now a graphic accelerator card ? If so any recommendations ?
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/06 11:16:32 (permalink)
    You shouldn't need a dedicated graphics card just to run Sonar - it's not a graphic heavy program like many games are, but if you do need one, make sure it's cheap & fanless! No point in spending mega bucks on what would be overkill.

What is the location of your picture cache? In fact, describe your entire drive structure, let us know what is being stored/written onto each drive.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/06 12:05:03 (permalink)
    You shouldn't need an additional display adapter, but display drivers or the firmware can be cause of latency/jerkiness. See if you can borrow a graphics card perhaps to see if it makes a difference.

I would update the motherboard BIOS first to see if it makes a difference and also post check #2 again.

Also download a copy of latencymon out to see if anything is getting in the way. Process monitor and process explorer could also help you here from sysinternals/Microsoft.

You write "The PC is for dedicated music only ..not connected to the web. No anti virus or anything, there's no other problems on anything, all graphics and display are set to optimum."... and then you wrote "I've tried all the suggestions above but it hasn't made any difference at all. " - So how did you run windows update (as I suggested) when you are off the internet?

We tend to get a lot of issues with offline machines in these forums mainly because software dependencies are not up to date.

If you have no antivirus first thing I would do is do a scan with something like AVG AND malwarebytes. Never assume that you don't have a virus or malware just because you are off the internet. You have to get your software and data from somewhere, whilst you may have reduced your chances of getting a virus that does not mean it won't happen...

Don't forget to back up...

Cheers...
    post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/10/06 12:14:55

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    componentrare123
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/06 15:26:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the advice and help so far

All bios is up to date...everything I'm trying to update says the current version I'm using is the latest.
    (I down load from my lap top, check for viruses etc, then load into my dedicated music PC)
    Same with Windows 7.

I have a HDD drive and also a secondary one for back up but the main drive C has all the operating system and Sonar ...the Picture Cache is in the Cakewalk Project folder.
    No other problems at all...none....if I clear Picture Cache before working on project there's no problems although sometimes, after a long session, the problem returns.
    It must be something to do with the Picture Cache ...but apart from tweaking the capacity I don't at the moment have any other options. I remember years ago I had his problem , I got a Graphic Card and it solved the problem.
    But I realise that It shouldn't be needed just for Sonar.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/06 15:33:39 (permalink)
    You're probably bottlenecking because everything is on one drive - OS, sonar, Projects, the lot

You'll get much better performance by installing an additional drive and moving your Sonar projects & Cakewalk content folder to it.

You say you have another drive for backup. If it's an internal consider using this for Sonar and buy an external for backups

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    componentrare123
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/06 15:56:30 (permalink)
    Thanx B J ..it's a possibility ..I may try moving stuff about.. I could get a graphics card for about £35 ..I could live with that...but theres no guarantee of course it would fix the problem this time.

If I get any results I'll post...
    Sir Les
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1182
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/06 15:58:45 (permalink)
    Have you done any tweeks ?.

are you using HDMI audio, and on board, and a external audio solution?

If so,..windows will surely have to wait between graphic and audio through the same cards drivers to be produced to your video monitor...If, other audio is being used ASIO.?..then it has to go through the video cards HD audio, and irqs might be tide up ...if on board audio is also on.

So..if you have not done a tweeking of the system...Perhaps that first ...

Turn off HDMI AUDIO.
    Turn off redundant devices in device manager...if HDMI is in there disable it.

And select in control pannel audio speaker icon/ the on board audio for windows use...set as default.
    And let your ASIO be free for DAW audio apps, Might clear up some bottleneck irq or windows handling issues.
    Hope it helps.

Regards, and cheers!
    post edited by Sir Les - 2015/10/06 16:17:05

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
    2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
    componentrare123
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/06 17:37:53 (permalink)
    Thanks Les..I think you may have hit some buttons there...ill do some checking ....yes I'm using ASIO ..will check the HDMI ....
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/06 22:14:47 (permalink)
    componentrare123
    Thanx ..I gleaned some info from the forum and enlarged my cache from 500 to 1000 which seems excessive but it seems,so far, to have worked ...I don't know how ...maybe it's just zapped a gremlin ...

If the problem returns I'll try the suggestions above...

Are you referring to the Disk I/O cache here (Prefs->Audio->Sync and Caching (Advanced mode))? If so, having too large of a cache can be just as bad as too small, especially if the disk is doing a lot of grunt work. Typically, base 2 numbers are used for caches (64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, etc.), and not sure if that is an issue or not. 512KB for both read and write buffers should be sufficient.

Not being familiar with your system, you might also want to try enabling both Read caching and Write caching on that same page. For a slower drive, this can ease some performance by letting the system cache data it knows is coming or offloading.

One thing with a defrag if a lot is on that drive is to do an "optimized" defrag which will consolidate files. That defrag takes a LONG time, so is best to do when you are finished with things and heading to bed. A simple defrag just unfragments files, but they may still be scattered all over the disk.

Not sure if I missed this in the above posts; are you hearing any audio issues with the stuttering or is it only graphics related?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/07 05:58:58 (permalink)
    Do NOT defrag an SSD!

componentrare123
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/07 06:41:41 (permalink)
    Yes..okay...thanks...

I'm pretty sure it's not a speed or system related problem ..I ordered the custom PC last February designed just for audio...it's the Picture Cache size Ive tinkered with but finding it's not making any difference really so am leaving it at 500mg. I'll try enabling read write cache.
    I think the suggestion of ASIO might be a clue also I'm running two monitors so there may be a conflict there...

But no everything else is fine...perfect in fact ! It's just that after a while dragging and scrolling is like wading thru sticky thick treacle, so clearing Pic Cache before session is required. The audio is not affected.

If nothing else has any effect I will gamble on a basic graphic card..it did work in the past when I had a similar problem. But many thanks for everyone's help and input .
    Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/07 14:09:29 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Do NOT defrag an SSD!

If you run the windows defragger it just runs trim.

Sir Les
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/11 05:19:23 (permalink)
    Not a speed issue?...hmmm?

Speaking of speed...speed stepping in bios...Is it turned off?...VT ((virtual Technologies?)) in bios is that turned off?

Speed stepping and VT can also cause issues with some services and apps...

Also Try to reduce the redundant devices in bios...(I my self turn off wi fi, and on board nics networking through the bios with the speed step disable also and the vt.))..."If and when I have issues"...as I find doing this kind of tweak in bios...when you boot to windows, you will no longer see anything in device manager..so no drivers are loaded for non existing devices when turned off in bios.
    But if you do this tweak through device manager...when booting windows will load up services for and drivers for the device..and then turn it off once booted..or tag it as disabled...but the services might still be loaded up..when booting...and held in standby mode, constantly checking for x device. 

Once I do all this ...I reduce any or all conflicts....I can then troubleshoot windows MS...by defeating services If issues still show signs of being with the system and apps being used for music or video.

Turn off all auto updates...through ""msconfig.'''  ""((Open up win start button and type in ms config in the search""...hide all win services button selected, turn off all other auto updates, and you can then try to turn off windows updates, and look into what is loading up on start up and running in background...services and such in that applet of MSCONFIG...save reboot and see if that helps...You can always reset to default it none of that helps))...these interruptions while working on heavy loaded projects, can slow things down, and cause interruptions...depending on how hard your app is using the cpu, and or the load of effects on the cpu and such.

More cores makes thing work better..?..Turning off core parking....Do a sonar forum search for this tip...tweak.

And the HDMI turned off through the video card app, or device manager in win control panned., and or in bios of on board audio has it, should reduce any issues....and make sure you set the default MS windows audio to the on board sound chip, using the speaker icon in control panel....with all this done..as a test bed, you should have no issues and all other possible aspects can be run out as cause ...then it is a app issue, and setup for that app...in MS must be set for the loads being used..buffers, and cache could be tweaked I guess....

That should help make your cpu more free from other task and interrups.
     turn off any security apps running in background...

And disconnect internet ...if you need to troubleshoot more, just to try to find what is causing the glitches.

When all this form of tweaking is done....and the issues still continue....could be a plugin being used?

Do the driver updates and MS os...any bios updates for the mb...and or ssd firmware, usb firmware updates,and such...and or DVD burner driver or firmware updates...?....

Then go deeper into turning off MS visual...setup the run as "background or program" thingy...

And run a DCP checker app...that gives you running background apps  and services info, while using Sonar in your project...to try to narrow down anything running in background that maybe over looked by the above tweaking.

Check the time when it occurs, and mark it down, then you can go into MS "eventviewer"((right click my computer and select manage, and see if anything of services is line up with the time you find these things happening....could be something is causing a conflict or bottle neck of some sort in that.?

And in that run of troubleshooting you might find something showing signs of the interruption bandits...msconfig might be able to turn off...or service in the "" manager"" might be able tobe turned off/disbaled.

Then do the other stuff....buffers and cache tweaks...which should not be necessary...but depending on the system being used, and or load being put on the cpu and memory.

Once you hash out all the problems...in troubleshooting 101..and still something is messing with the tunes...and devices and applications used.

What audio solution are you using, and why is it , your computer devices and such specs, are not being shown/listed to the forum helpers in your posting?

What type of interface is your audio solution?.=.usb, firewire?..Thunderbolt?...eithernet?...Madi?
    if a firewire card is used, what type  of chip is on it?..via or TI?...or other?.LSI?...is it 400 or 800?...cabling?...
    So many unknowns...

You should take some time and make your account more helpful for all of us who try to help out before the...Call to CW ....
    Could just be some devices do not work well together in your setup..also.

some mice do not play well with some apps....if you can believe it...it is true....Kingston mice for instance can be or have been isolated with Pro tools as being a problem in past renderings.

So...a video card of some 1gb or more could help also reduce on board memory issues..

Cheers!

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
    2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

componentrare123
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/11 07:21:57 (permalink)
    Thanks Sir Les....there's certainly a lot to try here, I appreciate your time .

But I think the answer could possibly be a simple thing. The other night I noticed that starting a brand new project the issues seemed to absent ...but I didn't spend long on it. But when loading an older project the issues were back.
    So I am now wondering if the problem is due to opening up an old project originally done in Sonar 7 in X1D ? Maybe I didn't tick enough associated files during loading X1 or possibly something like that ?

I haven't had enough time to check, I may be wrong but I did notice this the other night ..I will be checking later tonight so I will repost ...
    Sir Les
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/11 10:44:42 (permalink)
    could be,...old projects might be assigned as you say to other attributes not found..and so, things go south in trying to use old in new software rendered upgrades...

what you can do to try to solve for, if so...is find the audio folders and ""import the audio only"", and start fresh in the new software.

Just to give that a go...Test it.

But tweaking for me, has helped me solve many issues with sonar..and other DAWS in the ways stated to get some of the little bugs out of the mix...LOL...and throughout...my posts is sound solutions for troubles..

Thunderbolt rocks!

Best wishes.
    post edited by Sir Les - 2015/10/11 10:56:11

stickman393
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1528
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/11 12:29:44 (permalink)
    Is the audio playback solid? Is it just the visual/UI that jerks and stutters?

Are you absolutely sure you're not in CPU Conservation mode ?  (Pause/Break key)
    potpourri
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/11 12:40:58 (permalink)
    you should consider seperate graphics card  , it's not that because sonar is 2D only gui that you don't need one ,
    onboard graphics chipsets still use quite some cpu overhead so probably it's that interrupt that causes your discribed
    screen behaviour
    Sir Les
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/12 07:44:35 (permalink)
    Yep, potpourri...a video card with 1gb or more is best to help sort memory issues with on board memory calls.

I think I posted that hint, in my last post...

So, Making a great system for things like audio, must be taken to heart.

Laptops might do for tracking a session?...(( I hate em my self ))...but a good solid build for this audio / video editing based desktop WS with plugins and such.... In a desktop body beast of a machine with lots of memory, good graphics card with 2gb on it,  and four cores or more if possible ( i Like the I7 intel myself), over head of 16 gb in the MB slots or better, is best to bring a well to do, and most capable system for...such tasks....the z97 boards are very good.
    The x99?...too expensive...but more cores than 4 is something I am now playing with.

But some need portable machines...and laptops are popular with students.

Perhaps this is the cause of alot of issues with graphic glitching with laptops or video cards not having enough memory to suit the on board graphics and system functions ...memory allocation or refreshes?....and irq usage.

Seems something to do with it.

So , reduce the systems needs of irq usage might free up some of the bottlenecking or memory/cpu calls, and interupts.

Hope all this helps all ...

Cheers!
    post edited by Sir Les - 2015/10/12 08:04:17

MagicMike
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re: Scrolling and dragging ...stuttering and jerky 2015/10/12 12:06:45 (permalink)
    Hi,
    have only had time to skim through this post but does your project contain tempo changes?
    I have timeline stuttering if my project has a lot of tempo changes in it - for instance, I have extracted grooves from audio and there are many micro tempo changes.  Apparently it can be fixed by enabling AudioSnap or something on your audio tracks.
    I just live with it on the projects where I've inserted many tempo changes.

Mike

Windows 10 x64, 16 gb RAM,i7 4.2GHz, 250GB Samsung SSD for OS/Programs, SSD for current projects,  1TB Disk for audio and backup project files, RME UCX interface on USB, ASUS motherboard, dual screen setup with latest AMD FX 5450 catalyst drivers for graphics, Cakewalk by Bandlab. Samson Graphite 49 keyboard.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1