Helpful ReplyI May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 10:18:26 (permalink)
skinnybones lampshade
I agree wholeheartedly with Afrodrum.

Howard Johnson: Dr. Samuel Johnson's right about Olson Johnson being right. 
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 10:20:37 (permalink)
Anderton
I think some people would like it to force an end to recording, but I would most definitely not want that. I would prefer that recording be able to keep going past the end because you might end up playing past the end and want to keep what you play.

Well you are still inviting discussion here so maybe best create another thread in problem reports and email support with project.

In regards to your quote above,if the end marker is set to infinity by default (ie not set), as should be by design anyway (it would be stupid to default to the some default time period upon a new project would it not?), it should not effect you in the slightest. In addition you could have an option in preferences to ignore the end marker when recording.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 10:23:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/10/08 13:55:07
I'm inclined to agree with Craig. To me it's more important to find out why Sonar throws these odd controller values down the timeline. Whenever I have a case where the track fails to stop playback at the end of data, I have to start a search through the controller data on each track and the take lanes. It takes time and I've never been able to figure out how these events are generated. The end of song marker seems like a work around as opposed to a fix.

Just sayin'.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 10:31:53 (permalink)
I'm not saying Craig's issue shouldn't be fixed, it should! Point is people who don't want an end marker would just avoid the facility (business as usual),and therefore should be at no disadvantage, however the advantages of having one are pretty obvious, set and forget about it. That would be extremely useful for those who do want it. Both parties get to have their cake and eat it.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/10/08 10:42:02

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 13:04:48 (permalink)
I too have the mysterious dotted automation lines appearing willy-nilly well past the end of the song, and I've not been able to discern exactly why they get put there. Was it something I inadvertently caused to happen? I do a lot of cutting and pasting during arrange sessions and I suspect it has something to do with that but I don't know for sure. I would love to know what the "rules" are for these things.

As to the end-of-song marker, it would be useful for me. I often record bits in a non-linear way and place them well after the body of the song, then use them when I'm ready. I often end up not using these bits in the song I'm working on for whatever reason, but like them enough to not want to lose them. Incidentally, I'd love to have the ability to put these in some kind of "idea bag" in a way that's well integrated in the workflow.

Anyway, I often only want to render the tune without the music blocks at the end, and an end-of-song marker would be useful to easily exclude them. Yes I know I can highlight the timeline to render only the parts I want, but that often results in many more clicks because I tend to render a lot to test the sound quality at various mp3 quality levels. Also, I'm often zoomed in, so to select the timeline part with any accuracy I usually have to adjust the zoom level first, then select the timeline portion. Not a big deal, but quite a few clicks that an end-of-song marker would tend to substantially reduce.

All that being said, I don't consider an end-of-song marker to be a high priority, must-have feature whereas I do consider the anomalous automation event issue to be important.

post edited by kevinwal - 2015/10/08 15:18:25
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 13:29:02 (permalink)
bapu
skinnybones lampshade
I agree wholeheartedly with Afrodrum.

Howard Johnson: Dr. Samuel Johnson's right about Olson Johnson being right. 

Reverend!!
teego
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 518
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 17:44:35 (permalink)
I wonder if this is really an issue anymore , I checked several more recent projects and they all end at the last spot I stopped recording. I also wonder if some of the copy and paste issues that are now fixed could have been putting that data out past the end of the song in the older projects. Just curious if anyone is seeing this in projects created since the Hopkington update?

Computer: Intel core2 quad q8400 @2.66ghz, 4 gb memory,64 bit Windows 7 Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Sonar Platinum Ipswich and Update 1

Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 17:55:41 (permalink)
Anderton
Guitarpima
I don't think so. I think Sonar is just broken. I've had projects with no automation and still have the problem. 

See post #3. I already addressed this, but I can understand how signal sometimes get buried by noise.

I guess you would know. Have a nice day!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 18:00:58 (permalink)
teego
I wonder if this is really an issue anymore , I checked several more recent projects and they all end at the last spot I stopped recording.  (...)

That's the  point, I may want  song to be finished way before "the last spot I stopped recording".

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 18:16:01 (permalink)
I just use the "select loop region" option. Works great.
teego
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 18:28:16 (permalink)
@ Afrodrum    I haven't really thought about it that way, guess it's because of workflow differences. What I was really talking about though was the problem of data being hung way out after the end of a song and not really sure how it got there. I can see where the end of song marker could be handy in your scenario though.
post edited by teego - 2015/10/08 18:52:17

Computer: Intel core2 quad q8400 @2.66ghz, 4 gb memory,64 bit Windows 7 Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Sonar Platinum Ipswich and Update 1

Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 18:40:13 (permalink)
Anderton

I'm not sure an "end of song marker" would result in less clicks to accomplish what you want. When rendering, if SONAR thinks the song is longer than you do, you can define the song length with 1 click + 1 drag in the timeline. With an end of song marker, I think best case would be if you could select it from a custom button on the Control Bar. So that would require 1 click on Control Bar + 1 click on timeline where you want end of song. They seem about equivalent in terms of effort.

The use case I see where it would allow for fewer clicks is if you were rendering multiple times during the course of doing a project, because once you had the end of project marker in place, you wouldn't have to think about it again unless you wanted to change the song end.

I have to admit it works. It is less convenient than EOS marker, but works.
post edited by Afrodrum - 2015/10/09 02:43:32

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 21:17:41 (permalink)
Guitarpima
Anderton
Guitarpima
I don't think so. I think Sonar is just broken. I've had projects with no automation and still have the problem. 

See post #3. I already addressed this, but I can understand how signal sometimes get buried by noise.

Not quite sure how to take that...but if I wasn't clear, what I meant was that when a thread goes off in a lot of different directions ("noise"), the points that relate to the original premise ("signal") can get lost.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 21:40:11 (permalink)
Anderton
Guitarpima
Anderton
Guitarpima

Not quite sure how to take that...but if I wasn't clear, what I meant was that when a thread goes off in a lot of different directions ("noise"), the points that relate to the original premise ("signal") can get lost.

I thought you were being otherwise. My mistake. I was just sharing my experience. I haven't gone the route of fully uninstalling and reinstalling. There could be something there but it's not such a huge deal to go through all that trouble.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
Anderton
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 22:12:52 (permalink)
AHA! Possibly another clue...

Referring back to post #3, I confirmed this is how SONAR acts. However if you do the experiment in post #3, insert several tracks, record-enable all of them, and start recording, only the highest-numbered track will place nodes as described. Nodes will not be placed on the other ones.

I'm not sure of the significance, but like I said...possibly another clue.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
teego
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/08 22:34:26 (permalink)
I tested as you described with 3 audio and 1 midi track. Sonar wrote the nodes for all four tracks for me at the record stop point. I only checked the volume automation, forgot to check pan.

Anderton
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/09 09:27:21 (permalink)
teego
I tested as you described with 3 audio and 1 midi track. Sonar wrote the nodes for all four tracks for me at the record stop point. I only checked the volume automation, forgot to check pan.

I recorded only audio tracks. Will try adding MIDI to the mix... 

williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/09 15:43:54 (permalink)
I'm looking at my current project.  In several tracks, exclusively midi, there are "clip" outlines extending way out .   I know if I use "bounce to clip" they will all disappear.   In each, there do seem to be automation envelopes that I didn't write, don't want, don't use, don't like, and wish would disappear.    Should CW decide to fix this problem, maybe that would be a good place to look.     As good general rule, CW:  DO NO HARM.    Any automatic thing, unasked for by the user, is probably going to cause problems for many users. 
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/09 15:55:36 (permalink)
Anderton
Kalle Rantaaho
Sounds like a good candidate for one cause of the problem.
I have encountered the never-ending-song phenomenon in projects that have no automation.

As far as I can tell SONAR is always recording automation, even if it's just a straight line - I believe that's how it knows where to restore fader values when you open a project. For example, if you set a fader to -6 at the start of a track, SONAR will write an automation value of -6. You need to enable the Write automation only if you want to deviate from this static value. Try this:

1. Create a new project.
2. Insert an audio track. 
3. Start recording.
4. Stop recording.
5. Unfold the automation lanes, and you'll see automation has been written for the current fader and pan positions, and an automation node has been inserted where you stopped recording.

Craig, I'm not seeing this.

I tried the above and at step 5, there is no automation for pan.
Also, if you simply insert an audio track without recording anything, then unfold the automation lanes, a volume envelope is created automatically.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
teego
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/09 17:30:01 (permalink)
I think the envelopes are actually created when you open the automation lane for the control. I say this because if you do the recording and then look at edit/ undo you have the option to undo recording,no mention off automation at that time. Then open an envelope lane and look at edit/undo and you will see the option to undo add automation lane at that time.

Craig ,I tried it with all audio and it produced nodes at all tracks at the record stop point.

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/09 17:46:44 (permalink)
I read this with interest and would like to make what are intended as constructive remarks

kevinwal
I too have the mysterious dotted automation lines appearing willy-nilly well past the end of the song, and I've not been able to discern exactly why they get put there. Was it something I inadvertently caused to happen? I do a lot of cutting and pasting during arrange sessions and I suspect it has something to do with that but I don't know for sure. I would love to know what the "rules" are for these things.

Whenever you have an envelope in a track, there will always be a solid dotted line after the last node. So it would seem that what you're seeing is normal and intended

As to the end-of-song marker, it would be useful for me. I often record bits in a non-linear way and place them well after the body of the song, then use them when I'm ready. I often end up not using these bits in the song I'm working on for whatever reason, but like them enough to not want to lose them. Incidentally, I'd love to have the ability to put these in some kind of "idea bag" in a way that's well integrated in the workflow.

Just a thought, put all of your little snippets into their own folder with a suitable name. Move them to wherever you want
Anyway, I often only want to render the tune without the music blocks at the end, and an end-of-song marker would be useful to easily exclude them. Yes I know I can highlight the timeline to render only the parts I want, but that often results in many more clicks because I tend to render a lot to test the sound quality at various mp3 quality levels. Also, I'm often zoomed in, so to select the timeline part with any accuracy I usually have to adjust the zoom level first, then select the timeline portion. Not a big deal, but quite a few clicks that an end-of-song marker would tend to substantially reduce.

A very easy way to overcome this is to set up 2 different screensets.

Just a few ideas which you might find useful

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
kevinwal
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/10 08:52:45 (permalink)
After lots of editing I often see lots of dotted lines both before and after solid lines in volume automation. Once I start seeing those, if I simply select all tracks and render there's usually (but not always) a lot of silence padded onto the end of the rendered output, often as much as twice or more the length of the song itself. I haven't tried to put together a concrete set of steps that will reproduce this behavior so I can't say for sure that I did something to trigger the additional envelope data, or even if this is simply a logical result of the things I did during the edit session.

I'm not sure if this is related to the behavior you're seeing, Craig, but it's an additional data point and may just in fact be noise.

post edited by kevinwal - 2015/10/10 09:09:37
kevinwal
Re: I May Have Solved the "End of Song" Mystery 2015/10/10 08:59:04 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
I read this with interest and would like to make what are intended as constructive remarks

kevinwal

Whenever you have an envelope in a track, there will always be a solid dotted line after the last node. So it would seem that what you're seeing is normal and intended

Just a thought, put all of your little snippets into their own folder with a suitable name. Move them to wherever you want

A very easy way to overcome this is to set up 2 different screensets.

Just a few ideas which you might find useful

Thanks for the ideas, I'll have to look into the idea of screensets. I confess that I haven't made much use of that feature so it's no surprise to me that there might indeed be a way to make use of them for this. In the end, though, I think I'd like a project-independent way to capture these blocks of music. I though about just making a separate project for them so that I had one place to go to browse them for ideas but the thought of managing the various plugins I tend to use has always deterred me. An idea for another thread though. Thanks!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1