Effects used in Vocaloid and KPop songs?

Author
KamiM
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
2015/10/08 09:10:39 (permalink)

Effects used in Vocaloid and KPop songs?

Hello all Kamelodic here with a very good question. So I cover KPop and and Anime/Vocaloid music and I'm trying to move up to bigger and better things!

I recently came across a cerrain song and oh boy...the effect absolutely killed me in the first part leading up to the second verse. It sounds like a stutter effect but the vocal becomes thin and starts to sound more like a key on a keyboard. I have heard this effect been used in this song and KPop song as well.

The songs that have this effect are:

Rin and Gumi-Luvratory by Reol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-o_bMkzOW0

The part where they hold the note and it sort of turns more into a kind of electronic flute for a long time(play at 0:47) is what I really want to know about since I hear it a lot!

I am currently using Sonar Platinum and need to know how I can achieve these certain effects. Do I need some fancy equipment or can I get some vsts that can handle this for me? Any help is much appreciated thanks!
post edited by kamelodic - 2015/10/08 13:15:53

9 Replies Related Threads

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re: Effects used in Vocaloid and KPop songs? 2015/10/09 13:39:40 (permalink)
     I don't think that is an effect, I have version 3 of Vocaloid and that's pretty much how she sounds on long note durations.

Me

KamiM
    Re: Effects used in Vocaloid and KPop songs? 2015/10/09 13:49:48 (permalink)
    ohgrant
     I don't think that is an effect, I have version 3 of Vocaloid and that's pretty much how she sounds on long note durations.

No. Sigh...this,was a cover of a vocaloid song. The effect where she holds the note it starts to turn into a tone with a stutter kind of Did you hear the part where she holds the note and it does the effect before it says "dance"? Another good example of the effect would be in this song as well

https://youtu.be/JFgv8bKfxEs

Where she says "let it shine" it kind of repeats and the pitch goes higher but stays the same. I want to know how I do that effect if I we're to cover these rather than just cut it from the instrumental

melody is the way
    ohgrant
    Re: Effects used in Vocaloid and KPop songs? 2015/10/09 15:45:53 (permalink)
     Sorry, if there's any English in that song, I can't make it out. I heard a section that the entire track has a chorus effect on it if that's what you mean. Try one of the included chorus effects and see if that's it. Not sure which version of Sonar you have, if producer you can try Nomad factory BT chorus. You probably have Sonitus chorus to try too.

Me

KamiM
    Re: Effects used in Vocaloid and KPop songs? 2015/10/09 16:20:41 (permalink)
    No that's not what I mean. There us an effect that is,ON the vocal. It speeds up in pitch! What chorus effects do that? Its likeva tape,stop at hyperspeed and then I use platinum

melody is the way
    ohgrant
    Re: Effects used in Vocaloid and KPop songs? 2015/10/09 17:24:14 (permalink)
     I think what you're hearing in that first one is a series of editing tricks and the plugin. Antares Auto Tune. I believe a few of the things they are doing will involve you having to learn a bit about side chaining. Those stops in that first one I think is done with a compressor or limiter being triggered by a side chain from a different channel. I would defiantly say that Auto Tune is on the whole track and some creative editing was also done with it. Might have sidechained  a vocoder or even sampled the voice to manipulate it with a midi controller.  Sorry if I pooped the party, but I don't think there is an easy button for the things you want to achieve.  
    Still not real sure where exactly to listen for, just to let you know, if you keep your mouse on the play bar on You tube, it will give you the numbers of exactly where to look. 
    Hope this helps.

Me

KamiM
    Re: Effects used in Vocaloid and KPop songs? 2015/10/09 17:39:19 (permalink)
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Effect-used-in-this-song-m3297914.aspx

Here is the first post I did of this with specific time markers. I know how to do the autotone voice stuff! I've seen this effect achieved in the YouTube covering world so it is possible without selling an organ. The EFFECTS in these songs are what I need to know how to do. Anytime one can do stutter effects without a plugin it is possible

melody is the way
    ohgrant
    Re: Effects used in Vocaloid and KPop songs? 2015/10/09 17:49:44 (permalink)
    Specific time markers?  Sorry stick a knife in me I'm done, my old ears just can't take anymore of that. Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for

Me

KamiM
    Re: Effects used in Vocaloid and KPop songs? 2015/10/09 18:04:19 (permalink)
    Ok well thank you for the help ahjusshi

melody is the way
    samson7842
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 287
    Re: Effects used in Vocaloid and KPop songs? 2015/10/23 17:16:30 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what plugin they are using. But, you can achieve the effect by cutting small pieces out of the vocal an increasing time variables; start at 1/4, then 1/8, then 1/16, etc ...

Create a "tapestop" effect at the end of the slices you want them on. Here's any easy tutorial to show you how and what to use.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWT2h17xVj8

It's a time consuming way of doing it, but it gets the job done.

Hope that helps.

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
    Dell XPS 8700
    i7-4770 3.9 GHz
    24 GB Dual Channel DDR3 160MHZ 4DIMMs
    Windows 10 64bit
    Cakewalk (CxB)
    Sonar Platinum
    Studio One 4
    Komplete 9 Ultimate
    Maschine 2.7 MK3