VKFX plug-in

Author
tobey4
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
2015/10/09 08:02:35 (permalink)

VKFX plug-in

I recently purchased the VKFX bundle off the Calewalk site.  I was able to get it registered properly with Overloud.  The problem I'm having is my Sonar 8.5  does not find it as a VST plug-in. I read an FAQ that cake is looking for a dll file. But when I open the Overloud folder, there is no dll file.  I downloaded the VKFX file from this site, which is part of the cakewalk instructions.:
VST installer
http://www.overloud.com/installation.php?p=4
The  VKFX program will launch on it's own, independent of the DAW?  Can anybody shed any light on this?
Thanks,
Tom

Sonar 8.5 Studio,pc: 2.4 ghz Intel Dual core Proc, 4g RAM,
Win 7 Pro, Mia MIDI Sound Card, Main Mic: EV RE6, Toontrack Superior 2, Fender Strat, Fender PBass, Johnson Dobro and mandolin, Tak 6 string acoustic,

6 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: VKFX plug-in 2015/10/09 09:21:37 (permalink)
    It probably put the dll into a folder not scanned by SONAR.  I have VKFX on Win 7 and had no problem w/ SONAR finding it. 

The answer is to find the folder w/ the dll and have SONAR search there.  Maybe someone else will jump in since I'm not at my music rig right now as to which folder it is.  It should be automatic, but like many things in life, ain't. 

And yea, you can launch VKFX from the desktop.  Nothing different about that.  It is just so you can use it as an effect without opening your DAW.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: VKFX plug-in 2015/10/09 15:58:56 (permalink)
    The VKFX effects are Pro Channel, not VST. Open any Pro Channel strip, click on the "+" to add a module. You should see all of the VKFX effects.

The standalone app is completely separate deal. Doesn't work with VIs (at least as far as I've been able to figure out). It wants its input from your audio interface, so to play keys through the FX, you'd need a synth/piano/organ with analog audio Line Outs.

If I'm wrong on this, I'd sure love to have someone correct me.

EDIT: I had two distribution files, one for the Pro Channel effects, the other for the standalone app.

VKFX 2.2.15 x64 for SONAR Pro Channel.exe  (my renaming of the distribution file)
    VKFX Full Suite 1.0.2 x64 for VSTs.exe  (my renaming of the distribution file)
    post edited by TheMaartian - 2015/10/09 16:11:10

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: VKFX plug-in 2015/10/09 16:12:29 (permalink)
    The VKFX suite purchased at the Cakewalk store includes both VST2 and PC plug-in formats. It also includes 32bit and 64bit versions of the stand alone VKFX rack.

For the dlls to show up in SONAR, the dlls need to be in the VST scan path. I do not recall the default path Overloud uses but I do know it is not the default SONAR VST path. There are 9 dlls in the suite. The 64bit versions are:
    Vintage Keyboard FX-64.dll  -  the rack
    and the individual effects
    VKFX Amp-64.dll
    VKFX Chorus-64.dll
    VKFX Compressor-64.dll
    VKFX Delay-64.dll
    VKFX Overdrive-64.dll
    VKFX Phaser-64.dll
    VKFX Preamp-64.dll
    VKFX Wah-64.dll

The 32bit dlls have the same names without the "-64"

Locate the dlls and either add the path to your VST scan path in the Plugin Manager options or move the plug-ins to a folder in your existing VST scan path.
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: VKFX plug-in 2015/10/09 16:25:12 (permalink)
    scook
    The VKFX suite purchased at the Cakewalk store includes both VST2 and PC plug-in formats. It also includes 32bit and 64bit versions of the stand alone VKFX rack.

For the dlls to show up in SONAR, the dlls need to be in the VST scan path. I do not recall the default path Overloud uses but I do know it is not the default SONAR VST path. There are 9 dlls in the suite. The 64bit versions are:
    Vintage Keyboard FX-64.dll  -  the rack
    and the individual effects
    VKFX Amp-64.dll
    VKFX Chorus-64.dll
    VKFX Compressor-64.dll
    VKFX Delay-64.dll
    VKFX Overdrive-64.dll
    VKFX Phaser-64.dll
    VKFX Preamp-64.dll
    VKFX Wah-64.dll

The 32bit dlls have the same names without the "-64"

Locate the dlls and either add the path to your VST scan path in the Plugin Manager options or move the plug-ins to a folder in your existing VST scan path.

Found them. The eight 64-bit VKFX dll files are in:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal

Duplicates, along with the Vintage Keyboard FX-64.dll file, were also installed in:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\TH2 Producer

I don't see any need to add these paths to the VST scanner, since I also have the Pro Channel modules installed.

Is there any reason why I'd want to use a VST rather than the Pro Channel?
    post edited by TheMaartian - 2015/10/09 16:35:19

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: VKFX plug-in 2015/10/09 16:39:07 (permalink)
    TheMaartian

Found them. The eight 64-bit VKFX dll files are in:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal

These are the dlls which present as PC modules.

Duplicates, along with the Vintage Keyboard FX-64.dll file, were also installed in:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\TH2 Producer

I don't see any need to add these paths the the VST scanner, since I also have the Pro Channel modules installed.

Is there any reason why I'd want to use a VST rather than the Pro Channel?

Keep in mind the OP is running SONAR 8.5 so the PC path does not exist in that version of SONAR. Also your installation may have been determined by a prior Overloud installation, "the TH2 Producer" which is not part of SONAR 8.5.  In your case, unless you have changed the default path, the VST2 versions including the rack plug-in are already being scanned. If not, you might at least want to scan the Vintage Keyboard FX-64.dll. The rack is pretty useful. The individual plug-ins might not be as useful, it depends on how you use SONAR. For the OP, the VST2 format is necessary.
    tobey4
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: VKFX plug-in 2015/10/16 08:28:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the advise.
    What happened was I installed it in the wrong place.
    I simply let VKFX install in all of it's default locations.
    Later found out that I was supposed to install the VST inside the Cakewalk vst folder.
    For anyone having trouble loading the Overload VST, here is the answer from their tech support.
    *********************************************************************************
    The VST format allows users to specify the VST folder where the plugins are to be installed.
    This setting must match between the host application and the VST plugin installers, or the host won’t be able to find the plugins.

Please run Sonar and look into the Preferences panel for the VST folder setting. Write down the path you have chosen for that folder.
    Then, run the VKFX installer again and pay attention at when it prompts you to specify the VST folder to install the plugin in. You have to select the folder that you did write down.

Sonar 8.5 Studio,pc: 2.4 ghz Intel Dual core Proc, 4g RAM,
    Win 7 Pro, Mia MIDI Sound Card, Main Mic: EV RE6, Toontrack Superior 2, Fender Strat, Fender PBass, Johnson Dobro and mandolin, Tak 6 string acoustic,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1