Effect used in this song

Author
KamiM
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
2015/10/08 13:15:38 (permalink)

Effect used in this song

WHAT ARE THESE  EFFECTS AND HOW DO I ACHIEVE THEM IN SONAR?! One is from a Kpop song the other is a cover of a vocaloid song! Do i need vst or something more expensive to acheive these effects?! Please help i am losing my mind from this

https://youtu.be/JFgv8bKfxEs?t=3m19s

https://youtu.be/p-o_bMkzOW0?t=54s

melody is the way

9 Replies Related Threads

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Effect used in this song 2015/10/09 18:06:17 (permalink)
    Second track, the chord stabs plus whooping noise at 54 seconds sound like a polyphonic synth for the chords and a resonant synthesiser filter sweep with high resonance and some noise in it for the whoop. Or an edited sample of vinyl scratching maybe. Or so,ething else that makes that kind of sound. Lot's of ways to do it.

Then add eq, compression, delay, reverb, limiting, maybe beat slicing depending on how the stutter was created, maybe more filtering, autotune, double-tracking, an enhancer/exciter...., and in more quantities than usually considered wise. That is very tiring music to listen to. :-/

Both those tracks are heavily processed throughout with multiple effects and lots of processing going on all the time. So much processing that identifying exactly what any one of those processes is isn't easy, even if it's possible at all. Especially as I'm not even sure what you want us to listen to out of the whole mix.

That kind of mix, like all mixing, is something you can really only learn to do by mixing and experimenting. I may be wrong, but I doubt any processing or effect used was anything out of the ordinary. It's how they have been combined that creates the sound.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    KamiM
    Re: Effect used in this song 2015/10/09 19:01:21 (permalink)
    Ok now see that is much better way to explain to me ♥ Thank you

But the reason I asked was because a certain collab was made and they were able to do the effect with ease. Which is why I thought there was some type of VST to make it happen

https://youtu.be/U5naSRUTzE0?t=3m14s

here is where I saw the effect used. the person doesn't really use professional studio equipment so I was wondering how they did it

post edited by kamelodic - 2015/10/09 19:11:29

melody is the way
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Effect used in this song 2015/10/10 08:12:47 (permalink)
    You mean that long, sustained vocal note?

OK, this is a guess and they may well have done it differently, but to create that kind of effect I'd start with autotune, melodyne or similar on the vocal for the pitch and the vibrato/pitch shifts. Rather than try and minimise the audible artifacts from the process for a natural sound, I'd let it sound artificial.

Compress and/or limit to keep the volume constant. EQ to narrow the bandwidth and harmonics down to focus the sound.

As the vocal begins to lose volume there's what sounds like a resonant filter at the same pitch being brought in. That might be done by filtering the vocal track itself, even as simply as ramping up the Q and gain in any eq that'll resonate. Or clone the vocal track, maybe more than once, and apply the filter to one track and mix it with the "straight" vocal track. Or overlay a synth set to produce a sine or triangle wave.

There's also vocal multi-tracking or doubling going on to add width to the vocal and fatten it up some. Plugins like Waves doubler, choruses and flangers can automate the process, it can also be done by cloning the track a few times and shifting them against each other by a few milliseconds, or applying different vibratos in autotune, or several ways I've probably never thought of. Plus an exciter. Lots of exciter.

And sample manipulation as well I suspect.

It's certainly not impossible that there's a "magic plugin" that creates that sound, but if there is I for one have no idea what it might be. Having said that, it's the kind of thing that's quite possible to do in Sonar or any other DAW and Sonar Platinum certainly has enough tools to do it. It does take quite a lot of work, though it's the kind of thing that probably isn't difficult to do once you've done it a few times, found a formula that works and maybe even saved it out as a track template or pro-channel preset.

Which isn't much help when you've never done it of course.

Learning sound engineering and production is like learning anything else. Before you can run you first have to learn to walk.

If you're not familiar with eq, compressors etc. then I suggest starting with them and not relying on presets but learning about how they work and what the controls do. Someone else's presets aren't much use when you're using lots of effects (but eq and compression in particular) because to get the result they did you'd need to be using the same audio they did and run it through the processing at the same level they did.

For example, a preset to focus an eq on a vocal line won't work if the vocal line you're using isn't at the same pitch as the one used to create the preset. A compressor preset won't work unless the audio you're using is at the same volume as the audio used to create the presets and so on.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    KamiM
    Re: Effect used in this song 2015/10/10 08:23:50 (permalink)
    Well that answers my question -sighs sadly- Looks like ill be sampling the effects from the instrumentals or paying hundreds just have someone mix it for me. I didn't think it required all that since I've seen most effects done with plugins. I have melodyne but only use it to tune as for compressors eq limiters there are only 3 words that describe my usage for them

Balance leveling subtraction. It sucks because the person who did the effect in the video DID NOT do any of this. Kind of unfair to be honest because i dont have a multimillion dollar studio or Dave Pensado in my pocket. But it's whatever looks like I'll just stick to songs without effects in covering. I'm all for work but I'm not about guess and risk messing up when I'm uploading this for people to see when other people are doing it easy but don't want to share the knowledge. Thanks for your help but I think your advice just made me want to give this all up. Maybe I might as well since I can't even do an effect like this

melody is the way
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Effect used in this song 2015/10/10 09:55:55 (permalink)
    kamelodic
    Well that answers my question -sighs sadly- Looks like ill be sampling the effects from the instrumentals or paying hundreds just have someone mix it for me. I didn't think it required all that since I've seen most effects done with plugins. I have melodyne but only use it to tune as for compressors eq limiters there are only 3 words that describe my usage for them

Balance leveling subtraction. It sucks because the person who did the effect in the video DID NOT do any of this. Kind of unfair to be honest because i dont have a multimillion dollar studio or Dave Pensado in my pocket. But it's whatever looks like I'll just stick to songs without effects in covering. I'm all for work but I'm not about guess and risk messing up when I'm uploading this for people to see when other people are doing it easy but don't want to share the knowledge. Thanks for your help but I think your advice just made me want to give this all up. Maybe I might as well since I can't even do an effect like this

Don't give up! Do like the others do. Practise for a few years and learn the possibilities of soft synths and FX, and sooner or later you can make conclusions about the origins of different sounds yourself. It's not about money or kidnapping Pensado. As TLW elaborately explains in the previous posts (and shares his knowledge), there seldom is a one trick pony to make a certain complicated sound, but it's a combination of maybe dozens of steps.
    The possibilities with VSTs (even free ones) are so immense that it's not difficult to create a sound that is nearly impossible to exactly disassemble down to its original elements just by listening. 

Also, I'm sure the creators of the sounds don't always know, how they did it. They just play with the knobs and suddenly hear something they like, and save it as a preset without analysing the steps taken.

I don't understand this comment of yours:
    "I didn't think it required all that since I've seen most effects done with plugins"
    as TWL above elaborately explains how you make these kind of sounds with plugins, just not with one plugin.

Don't fall into this trap:
    "I'm all for work but I'm not about guess and risk messing up when I'm uploading this for people to see when other people are doing it easy but don't want to share the knowledge"

Things look easy once you've learned the tricks, and some tricks really are easy once you learn them. If you don't think the project is good enough for uploading "for people to see" , don't upload it. Many people are willing to share their knowledge, but you can't expect them to do so, especially in a case like this when it's practically impossible to tell how to get exactly the same sound without having done it originally, and there are lots of ways to achieve approximately the same result.

If it was easy we all would be star producers.
    Of course it's possible that somebody chimes in and reveals the name of a single plugin that does what you want :o)

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    KamiM
    Re: Effect used in this song 2015/10/10 09:59:42 (permalink)
    Yes they did chime in. Something called "glitch and groove3" not sure what they are but I'll try them out

melody is the way
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Effect used in this song 2015/10/10 10:07:27 (permalink)
    glitch is a VST effect plugin, groove3 is an online video tutorial archive
    hth

just a sec

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re: Effect used in this song 2015/10/10 10:21:19 (permalink)
    As far as that stuttering effect, looks like it is much easier than I thought, this is Pro tools but could be just as easily done in Sonar, no effect, no sidechain compressor, just simple copy and paste with some fading.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpsYYTslkyk 

Me

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Effect used in this song 2015/10/13 14:56:01 (permalink)
    After listening to the clip, it sounds more like a pitch bend to me.   The tone does "thin out" at the top, but that could be an artifact from the pitch bend itself/an intentional format shift.  

Craig posted some good vari-speed tips and tricks a while back, but one that could work well for this case is post # 21 here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/I-Have-Your-Sonar-Tape-Varispeed-Solution-for-Audio-Clips-Come-and-Get-It-m3020405.aspx#

He runs through the process of importing the audio clip (sustained vocal line) into Dimension Pro, and then using the pitch bend wheel to alter the pitch as needed.   In this case it could include those series of "wobbles" and then the bigger pitch bend up at the end.   You could also modify Dim Pro's filters over that same period of time to add some resonance or otherwise mangle it.   There are so many possibilities using a method like this, but you will need to do some homework to figure out which options are best suited for your needs.

HTH

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1