Sonar Platinum as master to control Apple MainStage on remote Mac

Author
bentleyousley
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 279
2015/10/10 01:09:08 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum as master to control Apple MainStage on remote Mac

I own Alchemy(and love it) and a bunch of Alchemy libraries. Alchemy sold to Apple this year and no PC updates to Alchemy are likely to ever occur again. Apple is offering an updated version of Alchemy plus what appears to be every library created for Alchemy in a product called MainStage for $30. I have a Mac Mini that I use mainly as a video slave for scoring, but I also have VSL installed on the Mac and occasionally use the Mac as a remote synth host.

Has anyone successfully used Sonar as a master that is used to control Mainstage (and Alchemy) through a LAN connected Mac? What was your approach?

Thanks!

Once and Future Cities: A Fractal Journey https://youtu.be/j6JkKmh4wXY

8 Replies Related Threads

bentleyousley
    Re: Sonar Platinum as master to control Apple MainStage on remote Mac 2015/10/10 10:44:59 (permalink)
    Bump

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Sonar Platinum as master to control Apple MainStage on remote Mac 2015/10/10 14:01:52 (permalink)
    OS X has a MIDI network driver built in. Help for it is in the help for the Audio MIDI setup application.

Windows, as far as I know, does not have a built in MIDI network driver. There is a third party MIDI network application available here - http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html. It looks like it should do the necessary stuff at the PC end.

Another option is to put a MIDI interface on the PC and another on the MAC then connect them by MIDI cables. That should work, and is what OS X's help suggests if using a LAN isn't possible.

I don't have MainStage, but basically it's a live optimised version of Logic Pro which I do have. Logic's very controllable indeed via MIDI so I would imagine MainStage is as well.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    bentleyousley
    Re: Sonar Platinum as master to control Apple MainStage on remote Mac 2015/10/11 21:34:30 (permalink)
    Thank you for the response. I really appreciate you taking time to answer.

The midi aspect of this is not an issue because I already use the rtp-midi app you mentioned in order to send midi to the MacMini (that's how the MacMini is synced with Sonar when the Mac is used as a video slave). The issue is sending the _audio_ from MainStage over LAN to Sonar.

I sometimes use Vienna Ensemble Pro as a synth host on the Mac. It creates it's own LAN connection which carries both the midi data and audio data between the two machines. I can't use VEP for this particular application because the synths in MainStage are 'hardwired' to only be used inside MainStage.

Just hoped someone might have already tried using the MainStage synths remotely with Sonar.

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Sonar Platinum as master to control Apple MainStage on remote Mac 2015/10/11 22:09:51 (permalink)
    Wish I could help you out , Yet,  I'm sure my approach is "somewhat probably not " what you are looking to do ..
    I use my i Mac all the time w SONAR where it triggers instruments in MainStage …
    Since I have no midi over Lan over here , I treat this combination as if I'm running my Mac as a hardware synth Via midi where SONAR triggers everything I want or need in MainStage ….
    Over here both the PC and the Mac have their own USB sound cards . My MS synth renders are done in real time as audio going back into SONAR …
    Since Logic is a DAW I also have , if I want to I can just send a stem mix over and work in Logic with all the instruments .
    I get the feeling you may only have MainStage w out Logic at this point ? MainStage is a fantastic program , one of my all time  Fave's 

Kenny
    post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/10/11 22:24:47

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

tlw
    Re: Sonar Platinum as master to control Apple MainStage on remote Mac 2015/10/11 23:54:16 (permalink)
    Ah, audio over LAN.

You've got me a bit curious if this can be done now.

Don't know if it's any good for your purposes, but this claims to be able to do it -

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/wormhole_by_plasq

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Sir Les
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1182
    Re: Sonar Platinum as master to control Apple MainStage on remote Mac 2015/10/12 07:25:40 (permalink)
    THANKS FOR THAT LINK TLW!!!

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
    2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
    bentleyousley
    Re: Sonar Platinum as master to control Apple MainStage on remote Mac 2015/10/27 23:46:00 (permalink)
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Thought I would follow up. Wormhole turned out _not_ to be the solution for me. In order to run the latest version of Mainstage 3 (the one that included Alchemy 2), I was forced to upgrade OSX. El Capitan is much less forgiving of Audio Units plugins. Several of my Native Instruments AUs disappeared along with Wormhole. I found an open source app called 'Jack' that looked promising. I was able to get it working sending audio from the Mac to the PC. Unfortunately, Jack on PC creates it's own virtual ASIO interface and prevents my 'real' ASIO interface from showing up in Sonar. So... that didn't work either.

I bought a Coboc s/pdif adapter from NewEgg. The optical out from the Mac is split into optical and coax s/pdif at the adapter. Optical feeds my digital line mixer (as was the case before) and the new coax s/pdif signal goes to the audio interface. So... I have low-latency monitoring through the digital line mixer _and_ the ability to record the Mac output in Sonar.

tlw
    Re: Sonar Platinum as master to control Apple MainStage on remote Mac 2015/10/28 18:12:41 (permalink)
    My upgrade to El Capitan went pretty smoothly. All the AUs worked (mostly Apple, Waves, BozDigital and Melda), but my MOTU MIDI interface's driver locked the cpu solidly to 100%. MOTU got a working beta out within a week, but plugin and hardware manufacturers know when a major OS upgrade is coming for months and really should be ready for it.

Windows isn't immune to the same sort of problems either of course. But we're now in a world of pushed OS updates, especially Windows 10 home version so I just hope the software and hardware producers get their collective act together. "Sorry, our expensive product no longer works, don't know when it will, yes we knew about the problems months ago" isn't the most reassuring approach to customer relations.

Still, you got things working. Old fashioned solutions involving cables, connectors and adaptors have a lot to be said for them.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1