Cheers,

Bert

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

14 Replies Related Threads

gruverider
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/10/10 16:58:03 (permalink)
    Good sounding nylon guitar. And I like the flute too.

much enjoyed!
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/10/13 03:48:36 (permalink)

Hi Bert,

I wasn't sure what to expect, but then the Bond theme kicked in... Made me smile that did haha...

Not sure if there were a few "timing issues" in one or two places... 

Mix sounded good to me

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/10/13 17:09:25 (permalink)
    I love this song. In fact, our band performs this song quite often, and it's in our catalog because I threw a hissy fit to get it in, and now it's a crowd favorite. It's nice to be right once in a while. :)

Anyway, I like the laid-back style of the arrangement and the casual vocals, it's nice to hear someone revisit an old classic with a new approach. And a flute solo! Yeah, man, I wanted to snap my fingers when it was over. :)  The mix itself sounds very clean with a really nice separation of instruments that blend nicely together, so you don't have too many issues there. The vocal sounds pretty in-your-face to my ear, but not so much that I don't have some doubts about recommending you dial them back. I think a just a bit of reverb on the vocal is worth trying given the low register and soft style you're featuring, it might sound pretty cool. Please note that I'm very likely full of beans here.

I will agree with the previous post that there are a number of timing issues with various performances in the song that tend to damage the vibe you're going for here and which dampen the flow of the song in places. I can totally empathize with struggles like that because it's something I've had challenges with too and metronome work is a big part of my practice routine. In any case, judicious dubbing of timing mistakes would help quite a lot.

This is an impressive mix, though with a great sound.
    Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/10/19 01:27:56 (permalink)
    Hey Guys,
    I am a little slow getting back to you.

Gruverider: thanks for listening and the kind words.

Synkotron : thanks for the kind words @ the mix- that's not usually  my forte. And yes, there are timing issues for sure, esp in the 2nd verse. The biggest culprit is Berto Tipo Cuatro on nylon string guitar- he's all over the place. I'm going to have to re-record a lot of his part.

Cheers and thanks again,

Bert

Silence is so accurate

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/10/19 02:02:46 (permalink)
    Hey, Bert,

Very cool and interesting take on an oldie but goodie!  I remember watching the original TV show when I was a kid.

Really great job on all the performances, it's got a fresh, smooth vibe and a nice clean sounding mix.

Nice vocals, I really love the piano breaks and the guitar and flute are also well done.

Good stuff, Bert, it's always fun to hear a stylized version of a classic!

Have a great night!
    Bob
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/10/19 04:40:19 (permalink)
    Bert Guy
    Synkotron : thanks for the kind words @ the mix- that's not usually  my forte. And yes, there are timing issues for sure, esp in the 2nd verse. The biggest culprit is Berto Tipo Cuatro on nylon string guitar- he's all over the place. I'm going to have to re-record a lot of his part.

Ah... Right... I wasn't too sure.

Give me a shout if you redo this

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    Bert Guy
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/10/21 01:22:27 (permalink)
    kevinwal
    I love this song. In fact, our band performs this song quite often, and it's in our catalog because I threw a hissy fit to get it in, and now it's a crowd favorite. It's nice to be right once in a while. :)

Anyway, I like the laid-back style of the arrangement and the casual vocals, it's nice to hear someone revisit an old classic with a new approach. And a flute solo! Yeah, man, I wanted to snap my fingers when it was over. :)  The mix itself sounds very clean with a really nice separation of instruments that blend nicely together, so you don't have too many issues there. The vocal sounds pretty in-your-face to my ear, but not so much that I don't have some doubts about recommending you dial them back. I think a just a bit of reverb on the vocal is worth trying given the low register and soft style you're featuring, it might sound pretty cool. Please note that I'm very likely full of beans here.
     I will agree with the previous post that there are a number of timing issues with various performances in the song that tend to damage the vibe you're going for here and which dampen the flow of the song in places. I can totally empathize with struggles like that because it's something I've had challenges with too and metronome work is a big part of my practice routine. In any case, judicious dubbing of timing mistakes would help quite a lot.

This is an impressive mix, though with a great sound.

Kevin,
    Thank you for the kind words, esp @ the mix. Yes, there are some timing issues, and I will clean them up as best I can.  I decided to run the whole mix through a 'small room' reverb hoping that would give it a natural feel.

And yeah, I've loved this song since I first heard it as an intro to the 1964 TV show Secret Agent. I think P F Sloan's droning modal guitar riff really caught my ear. I saw Johnny Rivers a few years back at Boulder Station in Vegas. The SAM riff was the intro as JR came on stage and he saved an extended playing of the song for the climax of the show. BTW, that was an outstanding show. 

Cheers,

Bert
    post edited by Bert Guy - 2015/10/21 21:35:15

Silence is so accurate

kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/10/22 00:00:30 (permalink)
    I love JR but I've never seen him live. My other favorite by him is Memphis. I think if you dialed back the vocals just a wee bit and softened it with delay or reverb you might like what you hear. Then again, maybe not.
    Bert Guy
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/10/31 01:44:15 (permalink)
    Bob,
    Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I wanted to do something completely different with SAM than the original version. I went for a jazz feel, which is not much of a stretch as the song was modal to start with.  

Cheers,

Bert

Silence is so accurate

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/10/31 05:19:47 (permalink)
     Cool tune, I like the solo section, but I think instruments seem more up front than vocals to me. Cool timbres used for the instruments but I think I'd compress or maybe even dirty up or lo fi some of the instrument tracks. Also I think the timing may be more syncopated if you go with a looser less static drum track. I'm hearing something more Spanish than Rock for the drums, possibly just sparse bongos or something. Just picking nits though, I enjoyed as is.

Me

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/10/31 13:44:48 (permalink)
    Generally OK, I do not comment on vocals for reasons previously explained, thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Bert Guy
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/11/07 01:58:36 (permalink)
    ohgrant
     Cool tune, I like the solo section, but I think instruments seem more up front than vocals to me. Cool timbres used for the instruments but I think I'd compress or maybe even dirty up or lo fi some of the instrument tracks. Also I think the timing may be more syncopated if you go with a looser less static drum track. I'm hearing something more Spanish than Rock for the drums, possibly just sparse bongos or something. Just picking nits though, I enjoyed as is.

Grant,
    I agree. I think I can hear a Santana like version of this song. But I would need someone who can do a combo of Carlos Santana and Johnny Rivers!

And yeah, the flute is a little too clean. I'll have to think about how to make it more realistic/human/dirty.

Thanks for listening.
    Cheers,
    Bert

Silence is so accurate

mikeinFL
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 536
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/11/07 14:33:14 (permalink)
    Ha!  I think the style idea you went for is a great idea, not sure you completely pulled it off, but nice effort.  Instruments not in sync with drums I think, or drum style too mechanical, something.  2 out of 5 stars overall.  5 stars creativity.
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Apologies to P. F. Sloan 2015/11/07 17:04:16 (permalink)
    To address the timing issues, I'd first of all put up just the piano and the drums. You'll get a big payoff connecting those piano hits right to the drums, as the drums sound pretty perfect in their timing.

And it never sounded like "Asian" man - nice job!

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1