Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surfaces?

Author
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
2015/10/26 05:19:50 (permalink)

Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surfaces?

Just wondering ... did anyone of you ever do anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surfaces?

Actually I had downloaded the source myself and successfully built it on a demo developer studio license, but never got around to dig into it while the demo license was active ... now it's expred and I still have no clue as whether I would even be able to understand it well enough to "fix" some its issue ...

My current view is that just paying for developer studio license to mess around with it is too expensive.  I haven't worked as software dev in a few years so all my tools are outdated - the costs for updating basically get me half way to a RME interface or half way to another CS once VS700 set stops working ... and that estimate doesn't even account for time & effort yet...

When I checked out the source from the reporsitory in summer it listed me as 5th ... so I don't really expect anyone to have done much ... but I'm curious ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 

23 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/10/26 07:27:59 (permalink)
    If you mean the source as the reference, I have used it to build by plug-in (www.azslow.com).

If you mean bug fixing of original plug-ins, than I guess the answer is no (expect more compatible devices friendly MCU, not from me). But there is a change that happens in the future.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/10/26 07:32:37 (permalink)
    what do you mean by developer tools? there's a free, fully functional "community" version of visual studio these days...

just a sec

azslow3
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/10/26 08:05:57 (permalink)
    pwalpwal
    what do you mean by developer tools? there's a free, fully functional "community" version of visual studio these days...

If you know where to find free and legal version of tool chain required to build these plug-ins (I mean the part which use MFC), I am interested

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    pwalpwal
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/10/26 10:59:18 (permalink)
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh967573.aspx

"You can create MFC or ATL programs with Visual Studio Community Edition or higher" :-)

just a sec

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/10/26 14:15:53 (permalink)
    pwalpwal

"You can create MFC or ATL programs with Visual Studio Community Edition or higher" :-)

OK. That's interesting because previously I just had the express version and that did not include MFC/ATL which you need to build Cakewalk source ... hence I demoed the full version and wonder why I missed that community version.

But I do wonder where the catch is ... because they seem to be giving everything away for free while charging big time for the actual dev studio licenses ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    pwalpwal
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/10/26 15:27:47 (permalink)
    FreeFlyBertl
    But I do wonder where the catch is ... because they seem to be giving everything away for free while charging big time for the actual dev studio licenses ...

the catch is your app using their framework/platform :-)

just a sec

azslow3
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/10/26 15:34:57 (permalink)
    pwalpwal

Thanks!
    That rapidly increase the chance that MCU plug-in will work with ProChannel EQ/Compressor at any place, other wished can be also accepted in case that toolchain is working

M@
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/10/26 17:32:47 (permalink)
    ...well. I am a dreamer
    Even though I only have minutest knowledge about coding I downloaded all the files hoping I could "find" something.
    After downloading the express version of visualstudio and opening some of the source-code files my little dream-bubble burst 
    Waaay too high above my knowledge level (Did I just say waaay to high? Uh, I meant waaaaaaay to high!)

I really wish for a 'personalized', 'updated', and 'improved' VS700 control surface!
    I'm going to start taking notes of the things that I would like to see improved or which seem not to function well-
    Some things that come to mind immediately:
    1)     Would like the 16 buttons of the user assignable access-panel to be programmable with a second (or even third & fourth) function using one (or more) of the modifier buttons. See table 28 from the SONAR_VS-700_Control_Surface.chm
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hv3rig818naveam/VS700C-4.jpg?dl=0
    (More of the "reserved" button combinations should be programmable)
    2)     Would like to be able to programme "shift", "strg" and "alt" buttons. Either onto the acces-panel buttons (or onto the modifier buttons?)
    3)      Be able to disable the LED-strip showing the values of the faders/knobs each time I move them. I'd prefer the channel-name just remains in place.

...to be continued

Tracking: Sonar Platinum (X3 Producer, X2 studio, X1 expanded, 8.3) (64bit)
    System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
    Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
    azslow3
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/10/26 18:07:17 (permalink)
    M@
    ...well. I am a dreamer
    Even though I only have minutest knowledge about coding... I downloaded all the files hoping I could "find" something.
    After downloading the express version of visualstudio and opening some of the source-code files my little dream-bubble burst 
    Waaay too high above my knowledge level (Did I just say waaay to high? Uh, I meant waaaaaaay to high!)

I really wish for a 'personalized', 'updated', and 'improved' VS700 control surface!
    I'm going to start taking notes of the things that I would like to see improved or which seem not to function well-
    1)     Would like the 16 buttons of the user assignable access-panel to be programmable with a second (or even third & fourth) function using one (or more) of the modifier buttons. See table 28 from the SONAR_VS-700_Control_Surface.chm
    2)     Would like to be able to programme "shift", "strg" and "alt" buttons. Either onto the acces-panel buttons (or onto the modifier buttons?)
    3)      Be able to disable the LED-strip showing the values of the faders/knobs each time I move them. I'd prefer the channel-name just remains in place.

...to be continued

With such background and wishes, you can download my plug-in and start from scratch. But before you begin, look at BCR2000 thread (and the preset) and Mackie preset. While BCR does what MarCo wants, the time he spent to achieve that is enormous. May be you reconsider and finish some album instead

azslow3
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/10/26 20:02:36 (permalink)

Thanks!
    That rapidly increase the chance that MCU plug-in will work with ProChannel EQ/Compressor at any place, other wished can be also accepted in case that toolchain is working

I have just successfully rebuild MackieControl.dll (without changes, I am not so fast...). Thank you one more time!

I have made a post on my forum with step by step rebuilding instructions: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,263.0.html

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/10/29 09:29:48 (permalink)
    M@

This you could do with a MIDI Translator tool and virtual MIDI port. I did it using loopMIDI and MIDI Translator Pro as you need to intercept and remap MIDI msg before they hit the VS-700 and trigger key bound functionality in Sonar ...

It has some side effects, though. So I wouldn't use it while recording MIDI, it's OK to use in mixing with all MIDI biucned to audio ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

M@
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/02 13:31:49 (permalink)
    Hey can anyone direct me in the right direction/help me out with this VisualStudio.
    Is there a way to "run/debug" the V700.DLL (within VS?) and have VS monitor which blocks/parts of the code get executed in realtime? Specifically when pressing certain buttons on the VS700Controller. Thanks

System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
    Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
    pwalpwal
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/02 14:18:18 (permalink)
    azslow3

Thanks!

I have just successfully rebuild MackieControl.dll (without changes, I am not so fast...). Thank you one more time!

I have made a post on my forum with step by step rebuilding instructions: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,263.0.html

great news! (sorry for late reply)

just a sec

pwalpwal
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/02 14:21:43 (permalink)
    M@
    Hey can anyone direct me in the right direction/help me out with this VisualStudio.
    Is there a way to "run/debug" the V700.DLL (within VS?) and have VS monitor which blocks/parts of the code get executed in realtime? Specifically when pressing certain buttons on the VS700Controller. Thanks

generally speaking, you can attach to one or more processes (the sonar exe in this case?) but you won't be able to step through code (see it executing) unless you have source code and/or pdb debug symbol files
    hth

just a sec

M@
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/02 15:46:26 (permalink)
    Hi pwalpwal,

thanks for the reply.
    pwalpwal
    ..but you won't be able to step through code (see it executing) unless you have source code and/or pdb debug symbol files

In your reply you are referring to the source-code of 'sonar.exe' right?
    I understand that i will not be able to see what's going on in Sonar...but will I see what is happening within the cakewalk-control-surface .dll?
    (I am unfamiliar with Visual Studio/Debugging/ the term pdp debug files in general.)
    If I understand correctly the control-surface-dll will intercept data (=buttons being pressed) from the controller and then the control-surface-dll will do something i.e. execute some code of it's own or call a function from sonar.exe / make sonar.exe do something -> that's what I'm interested in. I'd like to be able to make sonar do that specific thing even without pressing the buttons.
    To be specific; If I press 'Control+ACT' on my controller what happens then?
    If I could 'read' c++ I could just 'read' through the source-code of the control-surface and find out what part of the code gets run when I press that button combo. I did look through the code but it's just all greek to me....so I was hoping I could just 'monitor' what happens when I press the buttons.
    ------ Am I completely wrong  :)    ?  -------

azslow3
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/02 15:48:11 (permalink)
    M@

I guess you either have to start Sonar under debugger or implement "Sonar like" program yourself (these DLL are running as "inproc service", so they are a part of Sonar when working). I went the route number 2

In practice, I never had a need to really run under debugger. Just insert logging at required places. You can filter input/output yourself from the code (look for MidiInShort(Long)Msg and MidiOutShort(Long)Msg).

M@
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/02 16:36:10 (permalink)
    HI Azslow3,
    appreciate your input as well!
    azslow3
    ...may be you reconsider and finish some album instead

That one from a few posts above is especially true. In fact I do have a couple of recordings from our band that do need mixing, but I'll wait a little with that as we want to record a few more songs. Then when all the recording is done I'll get my mind set to mixing. So......as I have no important projects right now that need my PC running trouble-free I enjoy playing around a bit. I will gladly test your plugin as well soon.

I looked through the sourcecode a bit and found these passages:
    // ACT Button
        pmsg = createMidiMsg( _T("ACT"), BID_Act );
        pmsg->SetMessageType( CMidiMsg::mtNote );
        pmsg->SetChannel(0);
        pmsg->SetNoteNum( 0x2b );
        pmsg->SetIsTrigger( true, 0x7f );
        addControlMsg( pmsg );

// Command Modifier
        pmsg = createMidiMsg( _T("Command"), BID_Command );
        pmsg->SetMessageType( CMidiMsg::mtNote );
        pmsg->SetChannel(0);
        pmsg->SetNoteNum( 0x47 );
        addControlMsg( pmsg );

......and understand that they somehow generate midi-notes 71 and 43 but not more than that.
    How or what happens then....no clue.
    I'll try and search for the 'MidiInShort(Long)Msg' you mentioned.

pwalpwal
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/02 16:59:50 (permalink)
    M@
    Hi pwalpwal,

thanks for the reply.
    pwalpwal
    ..but you won't be able to step through code (see it executing) unless you have source code and/or pdb debug symbol files

In your reply you are referring to the source-code of 'sonar.exe' right?

no, i mean the code of the plugin v700 - i dont know this specific project so can't be any more specific sorry, but there will be a way to get sonar to load your "visual studio debug runtime" of the plugin

just a sec

M@
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/02 17:42:05 (permalink)
    Meanwhile; let me give you guys the complete info on what I'm trying here.
    I was actually hoping that I could somehow find out myself and get something working before I 'spill the beans': You know feel proud and all. But I rather put my ego back in line and try and find solutions together! That's the reason I joined the community in the first place.

Many times I have read here in the forum that people were aksing for the possibility of saving individual presets of each of the prochannel plugins; especially for the QuadCurve EQ.
    Well there is a way to save presets individually.

If for example you open one of the SonitusFX plugins then they open in a 'classical windows' window. The header has the maximize, minimze, close buttons. The name of the plugin and below it has the dropdown menu in which you can save presets for the plugin. See screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s...eter%20header.jpg?dl=0

This window or framework somehow is a placeholder for the Vst. In the background it keeps track of the controllable parameters (I think) Same is true for the Prochannel plugins.
    There is a way to open this window but instead of showing the GUI of the plugin it's just showing the parameters as horizontal bars. You can see the parameters values in real-time as you are turning knobs in the plugin. This window also allows saving of presets for the plugin.
    See screenshot for the GlossEQ (Quadcurve EQ) here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8k0mxddxssuwh7a/Prochannel%20EQ%20Preset.jpg?dl=0

Opening of this window only works with the older 2011 Sonar-X1 plugin (I have v1.3.0.18) in the shared surfaces folder.
    (so I am not even sure if the v2011 of the open-source .dll is the same and we are able to find out what 'function' is called within Sonar to show this window.)

If you have the latest (2013) version of the plugin all works as it should:
    On the VS700C if you press Command+ACT it will open the vst-plugin UI of the currently selected plugin in the FX-bin.
    For the prochannel-plugins you have to press Command+EQ and it will give focus to the Prochannel section of the "Inspector" pane.

However using the older vs700.dll if you click/give focus to a prochannel plug and then hit Command+ACT! (Not Command+EQ) it will open this "ACT-Plugin-Parameter-Window" or whatever it is.
    You can now save presets for the QuadCurve EQ independantly from any other plugs active and running in the Prochannel. Nice !!
    (only small issue is that once you reload a preset, the plugin does not automatically 'refresh' it's state. You need to click/give focus to the plug to update the parameters)

For 3rd party prochannel plugs it doesn't work bug free; it causes display errors. Performace however does not seem to be impacted. It still allows saving of presets for those plugins and the display 'resets itself' once you close the window and reopen the prochannel. See screenshots here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kva6eoy3p91j85o/Prochannel%20load%20failure.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s...oad%20Failure.PNG?dl=0

So bottom line is: I want to be able to open this window 'in a regular way'.
    Say using the latest VS700.dll instead of the old one. Or.....without having a VS700 at all.
    Is anyone willing to check the code and see if there is any clue as how to get that window open.

Final words: Maybe this is known for long time already. Maybe I'm completely missing something obvious. In that case I'm ready to laugh at myself: Just gotta let me know
    Cheers, Mat

post edited by M@ - 2015/11/02 18:15:05

azslow3
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/02 17:58:12 (permalink)
    M@
    I looked through the sourcecode a bit and found these passages:
    // ACT Button
       pmsg = createMidiMsg( _T("ACT"), BID_Act );
    ......and understand that they somehow generate midi-notes 71 and 43 but not more than that.
    How or what happens then....no clue.

That does not create MIDI message in terms of what you think.... It just add a definition of that message into the list and map it to BID_Act constant. When it is received, VS code knows that BID_Act is pressed.

Well, in case you explain what your target is, may be I can give you a good advise in which direction to go. It can take many moons before you understand Tacoma code. If you just want change particular functionality, I can say precisely where to look. If you want it to do completely different things from what it does now, you can be much faster with AZCtrl. If you just want understand how all that works, I can just continue with small tips. And I can be silent as well

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/03 14:02:48 (permalink)
    azslow3
    May be you reconsider and finish some album instead

that's good advice that I take away from this thread ... nevertheless I keep listening in :-)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

M@
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/04 18:27:09 (permalink)
    Hi Azslow3,
    Thanks for your offer to assist with some tips, but as I am not a programmer & must be realistic that I cannot do anything with these source-codes . However, my last post & your reply to my previous post 'missed each other' as it took a while to type. I'd still be interested to hear your opinion on that "vst-parameter" window in sonar.

azslow3
    Re: Anyone ever did anything serious with the published sourced for legacy control surface 2015/11/04 18:54:29 (permalink)
    You are right, I have skipped your previous message...

That window is the default VST parameter window which is appeared in case VST has NO property page specified.
    With ProChannels modules (as you have already noticed) it is a bit buggy... Most modules produce and error in attempt to use it. I think the proper way is to submit future request to save ProChannel modules preset. Technically Sonar IS saving these presets into the project. It is just about a dialog to save them separately (as they do with other VST and even Control Surface plug-ins presets).

About the "back door". Control Surface SDK has several functions for "Context", including "Open"/"Close". You VS is doing that. "ACT MIDI" plug-in can do this too (command name is "Open current plug-in"). AZ Controller can not do that on purpose (I try to detect that ProChannel is in focus) to avoid error windows

Since that is not a "Sonar Command", it can not be mapped to keyboard. You need some controller for that.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1