Helpful ReplyI've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help.

Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2015/11/01 17:13:59 (permalink)

I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help.

I need to get this done. I think I know what I need except I'm not sure about the docking station. I know I need SATA but there are different kinds of SATA, is just SATA what I need? I know I need USB 3.0.
Should I get a station with two slots or should one be OK since I'll be swapping drives.
I need to clone my OS drive, 500b
I need to backup my samples and projects drives, they are both 1gb.
I am going to buy a 500gb and two 1gb green drives for coning and backup.
Acronis for the utility.

I know I have asked about this before but I searched and don't see a thread so, I'll ask again and go ahead and get it done before I'm sorry I didn't. I want the most economical solution that is reliable and will do what I want. I'm going with Acronis because Jim built the DAW and recommends it, just need help with the docking station and if there are HDs that are crap, I'd appreciate a warning.
Thanks for the help.
J

There are options on Newegg like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VN-0003-000N7&cm_re=USB_3.0_hard_drive_dock-_-0VN-0003-000N7-_-Product 
Is this what I need or should I just get a one bay dock?

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/01 17:57:19 (permalink)
OK, I am on Amazon (a little cheaper).
I have this in my cart. Am I on the right track or am I making a mistake?

1: $44.50 (x2) Seagate 1TB (1 tb) SATA II 7200 RPM 32MB Cache Internal Desktop Bare Hard Drive for PC, Mac, CCTV DVR, NAS, RAID (2 of these)

2: $21.99 iDsonix® SuperSpeed USB 3.0/2.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station For 2.5 or 3.5in HDD/SSD Tool Free Design - Supports 4TB+ Hard Drives Premium 12V2.5A Power Adapter&3.3 Ft USB3.0 Cable included
(only one bay)

3: $79.00  True Image 2016 (3-Users) ( can use it with my DAW, laptop, and my wifes laptop) NOTE: If I am cloning a HD, can I get a two bay, pull the drives 2.5 and 3.5, and just clone them using the docking station and Acronis without having to buy True Image for 3 CPUs?)

4: $29.00  Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 HDS725050KLA360 500GB SATA 300 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive (for cloning my OS drive in my DAW)

I have about 75 bucks of rewards on my AMEX I can put toward this, I'll do that BUT... I want to be sure I am getting exactly what I need. I guess I could get one 3tb hard drive cheaper but I have never partitioned a HD and it makes me a little nervous that I might accidentally backup the OS drive on the samples partition or something similar. I will get two 2,5 drives for cloning the two laptops, though it is nearly, if not past time to upgrade out laptops. I wish I could afford the new MS Surface books laptops, they are expensive but I'm thinking they should work with Windows-10 with no problems, you would think, right?

Do you see any errors. I have never done this before so I feel like I am flying blind. Recommendations are certainly appreciated and desired!!

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/01 18:41:00 (permalink)
Consider SSD for your OS drive.

For acronis backups you don't need to buy multiple drives for backup purposes. Just get one big fat drive (unless you ancipate running out of room). Acronis will compress your backups into an image file.
Acronis is licensed per machine.
You don't really need a caddy but get one if you like, you can just clone to an external USB drive connected to the PC.

Cheers...
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/11/01 18:52:39

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/01 20:17:07 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Consider SSD for your OS drive.

For acronis backups you don't need to buy multiple drives for backup purposes. Just get one big fat drive (unless you ancipate running out of room). Acronis will compress your backups into an image file.
Acronis is licensed per machine.
You don't really need a caddy but get one if you like, you can just clone to an external USB drive connected to the PC.

Cheers...

Well, I'm not very computer savvy and it is a Studiocat so I think I'll be more comfortable making a Clone of the C drive and backups of the other two. I have never done a partition before so I don't know if it's hard or easy. I really would prefer easy. I'm not going to replace the OS drive at this point but if I ever have to I will. I just want a clone of the C drive and backups of the Samples drive and the audio drive.. the easiest way. I'll pay extra for easy and foolproof.
I am a computer user, I know NOTHING about anything else except removing malware from XP... I don't get malware on W-7+... I am pretty much plug and play, if you know what I mean. It may be simple, I just don't know. I've asked for help several times and still didn't understand well enough to jump but I need to. I am really ignorant about this stuff, assume I know nothing. I know to get a 7200 RPM, 10,000 RPM, or SSD but not for a clone drive or a backup, I don't think it matters much because I wont be using it very much. Of course I don't want something that takes half a day to do a backup and like I said, I've never partitioned a drive so I tend to think I should get a drive to clone the C drive and a drive to backup each of the other drives... because I know nothing about it and it scares me that I will get the wrong thing.
I don't want a new drive, I just want to backup and clone. So, I'm not sure what you're saying, you assume I know more than I do. That's OK though because most people do, so it is expected.

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/01 22:48:13 (permalink)
jbow
I need to get this done. I think I know what I need except I'm not sure about the docking station. I know I need SATA but there are different kinds of SATA, is just SATA what I need? I know I need USB 3.0.
Should I get a station with two slots or should one be OK since I'll be swapping drives.
I need to clone my OS drive, 500b
I need to backup my samples and projects drives, they are both 1gb.
I am going to buy a 500gb and two 1gb green drives for coning and backup.
Acronis for the utility.

I know I have asked about this before but I searched and don't see a thread so, I'll ask again and go ahead and get it done before I'm sorry I didn't. I want the most economical solution that is reliable and will do what I want. I'm going with Acronis because Jim built the DAW and recommends it, just need help with the docking station and if there are HDs that are crap, I'd appreciate a warning.
Thanks for the help.
J

There are options on Newegg like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VN-0003-000N7&cm_re=USB_3.0_hard_drive_dock-_-0VN-0003-000N7-_-Product 
Is this what I need or should I just get a one bay dock?

I just ordered something similar a couple of days ago.  I went for the eSATA capable model.  I figger I'll pick up a bunch of 1T drives to cycle thru for backups.

I never remember which color WD drives I'm supposed to like though
post edited by BobF - 2015/11/01 22:59:02

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 10:22:55 (permalink)
Hi Julien,

You want a USB3 docking station.
Make note of the largest drive size the unit supports.  You'll be "capped" by this limit.

Using True Image is easy.
Give me a call and I'll step you thru the process.

If you've already ordered the eSATA model, you're going to need to add an eSATA bracket.
This is inexpensive and very easy to install.
Mounts in an unused slot space... and connects to an unused internal SATA port

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
BobF
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 10:42:36 (permalink)
Jim - Which drives do you recommend for these dockers?

The one I ordered has both USB and eSATA.  Is there enough diff to choose one over the other?
post edited by BobF - 2015/11/02 10:53:21

Bob  --
--

jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 11:25:25 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
Hi Julien,

You want a USB3 docking station.
Make note of the largest drive size the unit supports.  You'll be "capped" by this limit.

Using True Image is easy.
Give me a call and I'll step you thru the process.

If you've already ordered the eSATA model, you're going to need to add an eSATA bracket.
This is inexpensive and very easy to install.
Mounts in an unused slot space... and connects to an unused internal SATA port

No Jim, I have not ordered yet and after thinking about it, I think I should get a 500gb, and two 1tb drives so that I can clone all three and be done with it, or maybe not. I'm worried that I might make a mess or do something wrong if I order one large drive and partition it for cloning all three drives. I have never made a partition in my life.
I did notice the size of drive that the dock supports is in the specs. That makes me think that you are thinking I will do OK with one 4gb drive for cloning all three drives. Then I can get another drive to clone our two laptop drives, I think I should keep them separate. So, a 4gb drive or three comparable drives? Assume I know nothing, I know a little about computers, but not much.
I assume I can update a clone as needed? I won't order eSATA. Does it matter if I order SATA, SATA II, or SATA III. I did remember that you said USB 3, lol. I know, I know... I should have already done this but I'm taking care of it now. I'm thinking that a one bay dock should work unless there is a need to pull a drive from somewhere to clone it, like a laptop drive.

So to recap:
1: SATA, SATA II, or SATA III? (or does it matter as long as the dock is USB3?).
2: Docking station with one or two bays? (USB3 with large drive support).
3: One big drive to be partitioned to clone three drives, or three drives to clone three other drives?

I think those are my questions in a nutshell.
Thanks!
Julien
post edited by jbow - 2015/11/02 11:53:11

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
Jim Roseberry
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 11:38:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2015/11/02 11:54:11
BobF
Jim - Which drives do you recommend for these dockers?
The one I ordered has both USB and eSATA.  Is there enough diff to choose one over the other?

Hi Bob,
If it's USB2, eSATA will be significantly faster.
If it's USB3, it will have more bandwidth than eSATA (which usually tops out at SATA-II specs).
With a single conventional HD, you'll get the full speed of the drive in either case.
If connecting a fast SSD, you're best with USB3.  USB3 tops out at ~550MB/Sec

Toshiba makes fast/reliable drives that are priced well.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 11:44:12 (permalink)
jbow

No Jim, I have not ordered and after thinking about it, I think I should get a 500gb, and two 1tb drives so that I can clone all three and be done with it. I assume I can update a clone as needed? I won't order eSATA. Does it matter if I order SATA, SATA II, or SATA III. I did remember that you said USB 3, lol. I know I should have already done this but I'm taking care of it now. I'm thinking that a one bay dock should work unless there is a need to pull a drive from somewhere to clone it, like a laptop drive.

You'll be fine with a single slot docking station.
I'd get a unit that officially supports SATA I, II, III and drives up to 4TB.
That'll let you use a broad range of potential drives... and you won't feel limited for quite a while.
Regarding backups:
Having a recent backup image file(s) is sufficient (no real need to physically clone the drive).
If you're under super tight deadlines (composing for TV), I could see having a cloned backup drive on the shelf.
That way if anything went wrong you could pop the drive in and be up-and-running instantly.
A typical True Image restore is pretty quick.  
If your boot drive is relatively clean, the backup image file should reload in 5-15 minutes.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
BobF
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 11:44:51 (permalink)
Thanks Jim

Bob  --
--

jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 13:25:43 (permalink)
Thanks Jim

You are a great asset here! I'll order. I'll call if I am unsure of what to do.

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 13:56:03 (permalink)
HEY.... on Amazon Acronis True Image 2016 3 CPU is 79.99 BUT on the Acronis website it is on sale for 59.99 (3 CPU).

This is what I am getting, I'll wait a  few hours in case someone thinks it is a mistake, IDK...

1: WD AV-GP 500 GB AV Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA II, 32 MB Cache (WD5000AVDS) (Old Model) $39.95
2: Seagate 1TB (1 tb) SATA II 7200 RPM 32MB Cache Internal Desktop Bare Hard Drive for PC, Mac, CCTV DVR, NAS, RAID- 1 Year Warranty (two of these) $44.50 each
3: Plugable USB 3.0 SATA III Lay-Flat Hard Drive & SSD Docking Station (Supports UASP and Drives 8TB+) $22.95
Ordering Acronis from Acronis...

Thanks again!
J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 14:10:08 (permalink)
After having 2 Seagate drives fail without warning this year, I am off Seagate for a while. Pretty sure your PC has Toshiba drives in it. Why not use drives similar to what you have in the PC? The model should show in your Windows device manager.
jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 14:52:16 (permalink)
scook
After having 2 Seagate drives fail without warning this year, I am off Seagate for a while. Pretty sure your PC has Toshiba drives in it. Why not use drives similar to what you have in the PC? The model should show in your Windows device manager.

I will look again, thanks. I looked at Toshiba first but there are so many options that I don't know what to get. The low price got me... I'll look again. Thanks Scook!!!
edit.. The 1gb Toshiba internal drives on Amazon are pretty expensive, I'll check Newegg and TigerDirect. Is there a particular one that I should look at? I need one 500gb and two 1tb drives. For a backup drive, does it matter if it is 7200RPM or 5400?
Thanks..
post edited by jbow - 2015/11/02 15:10:24

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
scook
Forum Host
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 15:00:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2015/11/02 15:26:27
If I was guessing, the model used in your PC is a DT01ACA100, they are ~$50.
Right-click on one of the drives in Windows Explorer and look in the Properties Hardware tab. It should show you the drive makes and models.
scook
Forum Host
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 15:02:48 (permalink)
jbow
 For a backup drive, does it matter if it is 7200RPM or 5400?

Not really but the drives in your PC which are 7200 and not that expensive.
jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 15:23:53 (permalink)
I'll fire it up and look. I was looking on Amazon with the parameters of SATA II, 1tb, Toshiba, and 3.5". The cheapest one is $144.00
Newegg is better. They also have Hitachi HGST drives (not trying to second guess you, just wondering if you think they are a viable alternative) that seem to have good reviews, I'll listen. I asked for help because I really don't know. I don't want to have junk from saving 50 bucks. I'll fire up the Cat and see what is in it.
I do appreciate it.

Thanks again.

I got the {three CPU) Acronis TI 2016 from the Acronis site, it downloaded, got the account set up no problem. It was 47 bucks and some change, pretty good deal I think! I guess I should download the Universal Backup, IDK.

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 15:33:15 (permalink)
Yep, DT01ACA50 and DT01ACA100 (x2)

Thanks.
J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
scook
Forum Host
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 15:44:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2015/11/05 08:14:29
You could buy a single Toshiba DT01ACA300 and backup your entire environment on one drive for ~$100
jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 15:57:03 (permalink)
scook
You could buy a single Toshiba DT01ACA300 and backup your entire environment on one drive for ~$100

That scares me. I really don't know anything about this and like I said, I have never portioned a drive before. Murphey's Law will surely be at work... it makes me nervous but I'll look.
Newegg has the 1tb drives for 50.99 each and the 500gb drive for 44.99. A single bay docking station on sale for 14 bucks.
162.96 total for the dock and three drives, all Toshiba DT01ACA drives.

In cart... will look a little more, wait a few, then buy.

Thanks again!
J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 16:00:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2015/11/05 08:14:49
Yeah... the DT01ACA300 is only $89.00, that is quite a savings. Is it hard to make partitions or would I just need to make three folders?

EDIT>> Yeah.. I think this will work and I think I can do it, unless I am missing something. I may get the 300 to backup everything then get another 500 and clone my C drive so I'll have backups and also have a drive I can just swap out if my OS drive ever fails. That sounds good to me. I would NOT want to go through reauthorizing everything. 44+ bucks is well worth not having to go through that.
Is my thinking sound?

J
post edited by jbow - 2015/11/02 16:16:46

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
scook
Forum Host
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 16:04:49 (permalink)
I don't believe you will need to partition (which is easy). Why not give Jim a call? He has offered to help you understand how it all works.
jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 16:08:37 (permalink)
scook
I don't believe you will need to partition (which is easy). Why not give Jim a call? He has offered to help you understand how it all works.

I think I've got it now, thanks to your help. You saved me some money!! Thank you. I don't want to bother Jim unless I need to. It looks to me like the 300 will work great, just make three folders and back up three drives. I'll call Jim if I run into trouble.

Thanks! Happy!

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 16:11:56 (permalink)
I love this warning on the bottom of the cart page:

WARNING The products listed on this page contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Isn't it wonderful how much the state of California knows, lol! I'm sorry, I can't help myself.

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jbow
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/02 16:18:01 (permalink)
DONE... DT01ACA300 and docking station.

Thank you Scook. You helped me go from spending 168 buck to 113 bucks. You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
BobF
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/05 08:03:31 (permalink)
Thanks to both of you for talking this thru in the forum.  I've been able to follow along and get my solution spec'd.

Bob  --
--

BobF
Re: I've ben putting off gettin backup/con drives and a docking station... help. 2015/11/05 13:12:32 (permalink)
My dock arrived a few minutes ago, but it doesn't have the eSATA interface.  It is strictly USB3/2.  I called Amazon to **** and they processed a refund and told me to keep the unit.

I guess I'll try it with USB.  I wanted eSATA because I have so much USB stuff connected I'm concerned about USB overload.  Now I need to get a drive somewhere ...

Bob  --
--

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1