Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
2015/11/24 14:27:30 (permalink)

Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)?

Thinking this might be a nice interface/live system...

Information here:
http://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-RM-Series

post edited by patm300e - 2015/11/25 07:39:01

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.

35 Replies Related Threads

patm300e
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/03 08:30:29 (permalink)
    How about the (Cheaper) Behringer version?
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR18

Note that this one is USB vs. Firewire and there are known WIFI issues (fixed by using external router).

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/03 21:20:18 (permalink)
    Hi Pat.  I am a Presonus user and recently the Presonus road-show visited Australia so I can tell you a few things.  The RM stuff is excellent but it is still geared towards live, not studio.  (note you can use it in the studio but you really need racks of DI's in order to get balanced and unbalanced TS and TRS connections into the RM boxes.)  If so for live the RM units can be controlled by the UC software that runs on any computer although one with a touch screen is advisable.

The RM stuff can also be controlled by the new Presonus CS18AI mixer which has just come out as well instead of a computer.  More like a hardware mixer talking to the RM stuff.  Good thing about the CS18AI is it is also a complete control surface for Studio One software which is also rather cool. (what is cool is you can flick a switch and leave the Live mix alone and it all stays the same and then you can go over to Studio One for complete control and then go back to the live mix. Way good) But even so it is still more for Live apps where you might be running Studio One live along side a live RM mix.  (Although if you are just recording the live gig 'Capture' can do that as well.)

Now I am interested in studio applications rather than live and I would love a studio version of the RM box so I can plug in TRS/TS balanced/unbalanced line levels (synths) and Mics and RCA inputs etc..  I asked them if they were going to do something like this and they said maybe later but not now.

Good news is what is coming though next year is a new version of the StudioLive mixers but they are going to have DAW control built in and be able to talk directly to StudioOne  (and I am pretty sure other DAW's as well like the Faderport can, they are going to allow various control surface protocols I am sure)  The Studio Live mixers have all the connectivity you need for a decent studio setup. Not sure about this but they might also feature motorised faders too like the CS18AI.  So they are going to do something in between the CS18AI and the now existing StudioLive mixers which sounds sensible to me too.  There will only be 16 and 32 channel versions though.  All the Mic Pres will now be remote controlled via Studio One software. (and maybe a stand alone app if you are on a different DAW)
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2015/12/03 21:37:10

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/03 22:24:41 (permalink)
    isn't technological advance in this field amazing?   The Berhinger looks eminently more affordable for the needs of live shows at less than half the price and with direct recording to a DAW already.... good for studio tracking also???

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/03 22:27:59 (permalink)
    nice comparison of the Studio live 16.02, Behringer and Mackie dl 1608
    https://www.gearslutz.com...udiolive-16-0-2-a.html

post edited by Vastman - 2015/12/03 22:44:18

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Ripwolf
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 162
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/03 22:33:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info Jeff.  

ripwagner.com.
    Sonar Platinum Lifetime.Windows 10 64-bit,AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 8400, 2 monitors, Focusrite 2i4, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Console 1 mkII, Maschine Mikro MK2, Maschine Jam,, Komplete Kontroll S 25, Akai Advance 49,  Casio Privia PX-150, Mackie 1202, Line 6 POD, Vox Tonelab le, Komplete 10 Ultimate, East/West Composer cloud . Ez Drummer 2 and Superior Drummer 3, Assorted collection of acoustic, electric guitars and basses and amps.

Jeff Evans
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/04 03:00:59 (permalink)
    Vastman
    isn't technological advance in this field amazing?   The Berhinger looks eminently more affordable for the needs of live shows at less than half the price and with direct recording to a DAW already.... good for studio tracking also???

The X32 is a great unit but it does not solve the issue of the stage box being on the stage.  The X32 is $2300 at Sweetwater.  The S32 channel remote stage box is $1500.  I am not not sure if the X32 and S32 can run in tandem.

The Presonus RM32 is $1800.  And it can be controlled by a free app that runs on any spare laptop you might have around with a touch screen.  The CS18Ai is $2000 so $3800 for both units together.  Or only $1800 for the RM32 stage box with an existing computer.

The CS18Ai will also handle 64 channels too by the way.  So the extra RM32 could be added in later.  Both options are different but the Presonus setup could also be had for reasonable money as well.

For anyone running Studio One however the level of integration is deep compared to basic with the X32 and Studio One.  It can record multiple channels but that might be as far as it goes.  The CS18Ai also doubles as a serious control surface for Studio One and it also takes over remote control of all Mic Pre functions of the RM16/32 as well.  So they are all stored along with your song files etc..

In the studio the Behringer X32 still does not solve the studio needs for bal/unbal TS/TRS higher imp inputs etc.  Got the same issue with XLR low impedance balanced lines only.

For studios the upcoming new StudioLive mixer might be the go. I am assuming it will be well priced too. (the current 16.4.2Ai is $1600 so I am hoping the new mixers will be similar price)

I forgot to mention too that Presonus is talking about a rack mounted extender to the new StudioLive mixer. Another full 16 channels will be available with XLR/Line inputs etc as per the new mixers. So you could get the smaller footprint 16ch new StudioLive plus the extender for 32 inputs all up in your studio. All Mic Pres will be remote controlled. Then you don't need the CS18Ai. (unless you want the Studio One control surface concept. I don't think the new Studio Live mixers will go as far as the CS18Ai for Studio One control, not sure about this yet)

Studio One will be able access the DSP inside the new Studio Live mixers as well. (it can now with the CS18Ai and also the current StudioLive mixers)

I agree the live thing is served well but the studio concept needs to catch up though.  There will be some interesting options coming.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    patm300e
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/04 08:34:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input.  Based on what Jeff says I may wait out the newer units that may lean toward DAW and maybe do Live stuff too.  My old FirePod & Mackie mixer will live on for a while longer.  The one drawback is the FirePod drivers are not supported on Windows 10.

I would love to upgrade to Windows 10 but cannot because of this.  ...sigh...

mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/05 04:43:22 (permalink)
    I bought an RM16ai and find the limitation of no TRS a problem for use in a studio. That however is just the beginning of features that will eventually be available with further firmware updates.

I had hoped that I could make use of the inbulit AVB networking capability. Little did I know that the real info about AVB on a PC is hidden (quite deliberately I think) from potential users. The fact is that AVB is not a viable option on a PC as there isn't really an affordable network AVB card for a PC. There are only a few and as difficult to find in the market as hens teeth. Audio over AVB is not yet activated either as far as I'm aware.

There are far to many options not yet available in either the UC software or the firmware to make the unit fully functional for studio use.

Fortunately I got your unit on sale so I shouldn't have any problems selling it.

I must temper my criticism with a balanced view that for live use it should be quite good.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/06 20:28:51 (permalink)
    I have an RM32 which I use for live and I love it.  I can see that the lack of TRS/TS line inputs could be an issue in a studio setup, my live rack includes several DI units to provide that, along with a few "floating" DI boxes.

When used in a studio it basically becomes a 32 input, 16 output sound card.  You can use the onboard FX like compression and EQ in the recording chain the same as you would with analogue units,  but in my opinion it's better to tap the signal direct from the preamp and ignore any onboard processing.  Not because it's bad, it isn't, but because its not analogue and thus you'd not be gaining anything by using it.

Ignore AVB.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

patm300e
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/07 08:04:52 (permalink)
    Karyn, do you use the RM32 for Live recording as well as sound?

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/07 09:25:09 (permalink)

Please excuse the mess in the bottom of the rack....
    Top to bottom:
    Power switch/conditioner
    Shelf for wireless mic receiver
    Pull out storage tray (for laptop)
    Blank panel (vented for heat)
    RM32
    2x stereo active DI  (phantom powered from RM)
    Headphone amp

The laptop (MacBook Pro) sat on top is connected with firewire to the RM to provide monitor mixing from side stage and also runs Capture to record everything all the time.  It also runs the lighting control software.
    I do main mix with an iPad.

If I want to keep and mix the recording I can either open the capture session directly from Studio One, or drag the individual track files into Sonar, grabbing only the channels I need.

Mekashi Futo
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Jeff Evans
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/07 15:34:35 (permalink)
    Karyn I have got a question. (A bit off topic so sorry!) Is the Samson power conditioner OK? I have heard in some areas where there is a lot of solar installs the power voltages can fluctuate. I am moving to an area where this may be an issue not sure of course.  Would the Samson protect against voltages going high for example (not so much spike protection, more overvoltage protection)

I am looking into the Furman stuff as well. Seems they have got it under control as well. But it is more expensive. I believe Phonic make a power conditioner too. Do we know anything about them?

Personally I feel the RM32 is not really suited for studio. I asked the rep at the demo here if they are thinking of making a studio version and he said mybe later but not now. As mentioned above what they are doing is creating a new version of the StudioLive mixers instead.

Don't you need AVB if you want to hook up a whole lot of Presonus stuff to a hub eg a CS18AI, a Studio Live mixer, computer etc.

I agree with Mike after looking into the switchers they are not cheap! Although at the demo they had a nice small one. I might find out what it was.

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/08 07:30:54 (permalink)
    Hi Jeff,

I can't comment on the performance of the Samson wwt over voltage specifically, I use it because a lot of the time everything will be running off hired-in generators where you can't be sure of the 'purity' of the generator output.
    All I can say is that I've had zero issues.
    The main reason I went with the Samson was because of price....  I admit it.

AVB....

If you want to use any of the audio I/O in the CS18ai then you have no choice but to use AVB, it's the reason I haven't/won't buy one.  In my opinion Presonus dropped the ball (again) with that one.  The could've easily incorporated the same option card system that the RM and SL units use, then we would have had a choice.
    The "small" AVB switch you're describing is this Motu one.
    If you're not bothered about the talkback or headphone output then I'd use Dante cards in everything and use the SC18 as a control surface only.  Dante does not require "special" switches and it works on any computer and all Dante gear can pass audio to each other by default regardless of manufacturer.

Back on topic....  I ordered a Dante card for the RM yesterday so I can record without the limitation of a short FireWire cable.

Mekashi Futo

patm300e
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/08 12:13:09 (permalink)
    Jeff, I had a Phonic 16 channel board once (Was supposed to allow recording all 16 tracks individually over firewire as well as live sound).  The live sound part was OK.  It was all analogue.  The firewire had issues though so I sent it back and went with Mackie 1640 with firewire.  No issues there.  The Phonic was very cheaply made.  I guess that is why is didn't cost much.  The Mackie sounds better as well.

I can do a live show with this (analogue) mixer and capture 16 channels of audio on a PC with a single firewire.  Works great.  I just take a laptop with me (Dual Core with built in firewire).  Fire up Sonar, check all inputs and I am good to go.  I do an entire set capture (about 45 minutes to an hour) in 1 pass.  I split up the songs later.

Jeff Evans
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/08 17:53:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Karyn for your response. What I have found is most power conditioners filter out noise well and that seems to be your main need there. There are differences between them though when it comes to other lines of defense.

Dante is the go as well I agree.

patm300e I was talking about Phonic power conditioners but thanks for your info just the same.

patm300e
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/09 07:17:38 (permalink)
    Jeff, I gave the info about the board because if it is the same company, it may have quality issues...

Karyn, please keep us posted about how the Dante works out for you.

Jeff Evans
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/09 14:39:18 (permalink)
    Yes and thanks for that info too.  It confirms what I thought.  I say the Phonic would be the least well built and the Samson in the middle and the Furman build quality very worthy of the extra expense.  The Furman offers some extra line of defense as well with regard to preventing an over voltage input reaching the outputs.

I am moving into an area where there may be voltage fluctuations due to a larger number of solar installs.  I want something to protect the sensitive items in my rack.  I could be wrong too and the power perfectly normal.

I recommend the pdf on Dante networking, it is an interesting read.  Karyn is it possible for the CS18Ai to get Dante capability.  I see no expansion slot.  Can they just make it Dante compatible somehow.  Would not that be logical.  Then everything could go on a Dante network.  I see your point about as is being used as a controller.  In my studio I would like the new 16.4.2 live mixer as a permanent mix for 8 hardware synths plus the CS18Ai mainly as a surface controller and it can do that now. 

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/09 17:14:05 (permalink)
    If Pat doesn't mind..  (it's all Presonus relevant)

It's often said the price difference between AVB and Dante is because of the extortionate licensing cost of Dante.  The reality is that Dante is provided on a chip by Audinate which manufactures build into their equipment.
    The chip handles everything.  There are several versions of it, the difference being the number of channels it supports.
    AVB is handled by the hardware directly, relying on the network interface with AVB ethernet extensions to work.

The only way to add Dante to the CS18 would be with an option card that includes a Dante chip, but the CS18 doesn't support option cards.

You are right Jeff, it would have been totally logical for the CS18 to have the same expansion slot that the SL and RM units have....  but since when has Presonus ever done anything logical?  Their individual products are great,  I have several, but there's someone high up in the product development chain that seems to be running around like a headless chicken.

Audinate has a whole series of videos about Dante (obviously) and digital audio networking in general which I recommend, especially the infocomm RU credit courses.  You don't have to register for the course, or apply for the credit,  but run through it and you'll learn a lot from it.

Mekashi Futo

Jeff Evans
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/09 19:10:44 (permalink)
    Yes they could have made it compatible with the CS18Ai.  The new StudioLive 16.4.2 will have Dante for sure.  I could also run with that mixing the 8 hardware synths and also the 192 interface for another general 8 analog inputs.  Plus its ability to take in another 16 channels digitally.  I have the 8 Mic Pres to ADAT to be able to do that.

They mentioned the 16 channel analog expander for the 16.4.2 which would also be nice.  32 channels of analog all up.  They also said it will have DAW control and I got the feeling pretty reasonable level of Studio One remote control.  Hopefully enough for me.

I have heard the 192 interface sounds really good.

patm300e
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/10 07:37:47 (permalink)
    "If Pat doesn't mind..  (it's all Presonus relevant)"
    Not at all - please keep it going, I am learning a lot and thanks!

patm300e
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/10 07:43:05 (permalink)
    I was actually looking at the 192 online.  Looks nice, but I like to have 16 channels going at 88K sample rate.  Based on what I read, that would be the 192 with 2 D88s attached.  That is:
    192 - $899
    D88 - $499
    D88 - $499

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/10 07:46:32 (permalink)
    I just found a pic that shows quite well how I deal with the lack of line inputs and also multiple headphones...  if you're interested.

Pic shows RM32,  Proel DI box (2 in that rack slot, so 4 channels), Headphone amp with custom cable.

Mekashi Futo

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/10 07:48:11 (permalink)
    patm300e
    I was actually looking at the 192 online.  Looks nice, but I like to have 16 channels going at 88K sample rate.  Based on what I read, that would be the 192 with 2 D88s attached.  That is:
    192 - $899
    D88 - $499
    D88 - $499

You'd only need one D88 to get 16 channels total.

Mekashi Futo

patm300e
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/10 08:53:52 (permalink)
    Nope you need 2 D-88s if you want sample rate > 48K. (From the D88 manual page 5):

"ADAT – S/MUX Input and Output. These are the ADAT – Dual S/MUX connections to connect your DigiMax DP88 to your audio interface. When the sample rate is set to 44.1 or 48 kHz, only the ADAT 1 input and output will function. When set to 88.2 or 96 kHz, each connection will provide four of the available eight channels:"

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/10 09:36:41 (permalink)
    That means a single ADAT cable/wire/pipe/connect can pass either 8 channels @ 48k  or  4 channels @ 96k

The DP88 has TWO pairs of ADAT.  For 48k use only pair 1 is used,  for 96k both pairs are used.

As the 192 also only has 2 pairs of ADAT, you can either connect 2 DP88 @48k to give 24 channels OR just 1 DP88 @96k to get a max 16 channels.

It's exactly the same with the old FireStudio26x26 and DigimaxFS (which I have)

Mekashi Futo

patm300e
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/10 09:51:01 (permalink)
    Oh, so I would only need 1 192 and 1 D88.  Thanks for clarifying that!
    Well at least that would save $499. So $1398.  Which is why I was looking at the RM16.  It is currently $1199 at Sweetwater!

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/10 09:55:06 (permalink)
    If you want it for live, go with the RM16
    If you want it for your studio, go with a 192 + DP88

Mekashi Futo

patm300e
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/10 11:46:05 (permalink)
    I want both!  I used to do a lot of Live recording, now I am just tinkering with studio.  I may get back into Live again though.  It was fun.

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: Anyone using the Presonus StudioLive RM (For Live AND/OR Studio)? 2015/12/10 11:49:51 (permalink)
    ok,  the RM will work just fine in the studio (given the line level limitations which can be worked around), but I'm not sure I'd want to take the 192 + DP88 out live...

Does that help?

Mekashi Futo

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1