AnsweredI need help on instrument separation/ready for mixing

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
2015/11/12 14:48:21 (permalink)

I need help on instrument separation/ready for mixing

I have heard that one could run low pass/high pass filters to make the kick drum and bass more distinct. I guess there may be a way just thru eq, so I'm looking for a general(not necessarily best) practice on separation. Or is there a video somewhere? I do have that nice frequency chart you guys told me about, but I still need to frame it........

I can't seem to see thru the weeds to know where to turn now that we are in the mixing stage...
post edited by charlyg - 2015/11/15 14:16:34

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 14:50:26 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby charlyg 2015/11/12 15:19:28
https://youtu.be/kSNYBbPAvKE

Watch the first 5 minutes of that video. (Edit: Actually the bass gets revisited at the 5:32 mark).

post edited by mettelus - 2015/11/12 15:09:07

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
charlyg
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 15:09:15 (permalink)
That's what I'm talkin about!!! Thanks!

mettelus
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 15:15:42 (permalink)
I am not sure if Dan actually uses the term "mirror EQ" in that video, but that is the term you are interested in. Typically you do not want to boost anything more than 3dB (can be very noticeable), whereas a mirrored cut of -6dB or more is more transparent. This is why he revisited the bass at 5:32... rather than boost the bass, he cut the guitars to give the bass room.

If you want to delve more into this, Google "mirror EQ" but Dan hits the main points rather fast and furious in that video.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
charlyg
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 15:17:33 (permalink)
If I'm not mistaken, this should translate well to Prochannel?

mettelus
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 15:22:55 (permalink)
Absolutely, the concepts of what he did in that video are universal. It just "happens" to be specifically focused on a plugin, but any EQ of your choice works (more resolution and frequency spectrum analysis the better).

Another free plugin that is priceless is Voxengo SPAN for spectrum analysis. It does not contain EQ capability, but can be put anywhere you can place an audio VST. This is good for situations of drastic EQ with an EQ that does not have pre/post spectrum capability... can drop SPAN on either side of any effect.
post edited by mettelus - 2015/11/12 15:33:51

mettelus
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 15:32:55 (permalink)
Another free VST you may want to consider is TDR Kotelnikov. This is a compressor though, and is not modeled after any analog counterpart so makes full use of digital processing. The "gentleman's" edition is the paid version, but I do not have this - the free version is quite nice.

Specifically what I like about this plugin is the "delta" button, which only passes the change you have made in a signal. For new users this is incredibly nice, since you can easily listen to the delta until you hear the bite of it (you can hear "intelligible" portions of the original audio), then back it off. It may be easier than trying to hear that same "bite" when the actual signal is still passing through.

This is not specifically applicable to mirror EQ though.
post edited by mettelus - 2015/11/12 15:49:49

Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 16:00:43 (permalink)
One of the many (but most pertinent to my style) advice Mr. Danzi provided me many moons ago is with kick and bass make a choice.

Do you want fuller/bottomy bass sound...

OR

a fuller/beefier kick sound?

And the inverse of that question...

Do you want a tight bright bass sound with lots of pick attack...

OR

a tight/clicky bass drum sound?

It's the same question with the same answer posed in different ways depending on what is most important to you.

If your answer is either you want a full bottomy bass sound OR a tight clicky kick then you remove more low end from the kick drum (with a "hi pass" EQ and any other band adjustments needed) and focus in on the beater attack. Then you reduce the pick attack/higher freqs of the bass guitar while allowing the lower freqs to remain.

If your answer is you want a beefier kick OR a more defined bass guitar you do the opposite. Focus in on the pick attack and mid more mid range tone of the bass (again with a "hi pass" and any other EQ adjustments). On the kick let the low end stay audible and remove the hi freqs and beater attack as needed.

Essentially the low end meat of the kick and bass live in the same freq range and so do the beater click and pick attack.

Bass Low + Kick Beater = Good

Kick Low + Bass Pick = Good

Bass Low + Kick Low = Nope

Kick Beater + Bass Pick = Nopety nope.

Totally broad, generalized, oversimplified and n00bish interpretation of this principle but I've been playing with it for quite a while now and it works.

Also realize that in most cases, unless you are doing bowel churning electronica stuff, you can safely remove pretty much everything below -20hz with a hi pass filter. It just adds mud and clutter in rock/blues/pretty much everything mixes.

Cheers.
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 17:51:27 (permalink)
There is no reason to carve frequencies unless it is an issue.

your job, is to learn how to detect issues.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jesse Screed
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1158
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 18:15:41 (permalink)
Hello kind sir, I kind of think that I know where you are coming from.

I struggled mightily with the same issues

There are a multitude of decisions to make.

I do not know you, or what your background is, but

The main thing you need to decide is if you want to emulate someone else, or expose your inner self.

Louis Pastuer said "chance favors the prepared mind," or something like that.

Less is always more, except when it comes to doing the grunt work, then more pays off.

Wish I could help you more, but that's all I've got. 

Jesse

charlyg
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 18:35:03 (permalink)
I pretty much know what I want for "our" good sound. I just need to know which tools for which job and where in the chain to do it. I come from a bass players viewpoint, so I want the bass to be crisp and isolated from the kick. I may lock on the kick as a bassist but I don't duplicate it. The way I do groove is play off the kick and the rhythm guitar. My tone is straight old school Pbass into an Ampeg head and 2x15 cab. I can dial in a little J(pup) with EQ and I'm fine. Basically round but with a little hump in the mids to make it punch on the attack.

So that's what's goin in, and it's finger picked thus the need for a little punch on the attack.

But hey, that's just me. My collaborator John loves every bass tone I let him hear!
post edited by charlyg - 2015/11/12 18:51:50

Beepster
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 18:58:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2015/11/12 21:57:14
Thing is, depending on the mix, you generally have to sacrifice a bit of that "great" tone on some or all the instruments. Just enough to get them out of the best tone of the other stuff that's conflicting. Thus the kick/bass thingie I was talking about earlier.

Another thing you might want to check out is "ducking" the bass with a sidechained compressor controlled by the kick.

So the compressor is on the bass track (it's gonna turn down the bass for a split second every time the kick hits). You set the sidechain on the compressor to respond to the kick drum track (instead of the bass).

With the right settings the compressor turns down the bass just enough (and long enough) to let the kick drum transient to cut through. You gotta set it right though to avoid an unnatural "pumping" sound.

Tons of articles about this and there are a few compressors in Sonar that allow sidechaining.

You'll still want to get your EQ stuff down as well.

Cheers.
arlen2133
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 601
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 19:00:43 (permalink)
Hey Charly,
Have you considered side chaining your bass so that the kick will get slightly lower in volume when they both strike together?  It would allow for a fuller kick AND a fuller bass at the same time.
This can be done with a compressor OR an EQ that accepts side chaining. 

Arlen
aka
Mr Grant
my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

charlyg
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 21:03:11 (permalink)
Cool stuff guys! I also should gave mentioned on top of everything else, I always tell folks at church(where I play most of my bass), "you're not really supposed to hear me as much as feel me"......
post edited by charlyg - 2015/11/12 21:13:55

mettelus
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/12 22:13:51 (permalink)
Ducking is another option for sure, and Beeps' points are good (esp. the pumping concern). I tend not to use this often because a generic compressor is "frequency dumb"  so dives the entire signal.

For separation, frequency (EQ), depth (volume (fader/ducking), reverb (more reverb is further away)), and panning are the three biggies. Typically panning is used more for higher frequencies and not for lowest (for a few reasons). Because of this, kick/bass are also "special" in that they are both commonly center-panned, which removes the "panning option" out of the picture as a solution, but Beeps hit upon the volume aspect.

SPAN will allow you to overlay up to 4 signals which is really nice but not intuitive to set up. Frequency masking is most prominent when signals are not separated by a couple dB or so, with the caveat (very important) of the most important component frequency getting priority. Using an audio microscope is helpful for this to find the material you want to keep so you have a mental record of the key frequencies to work with, then an overlaid frequency spectrum will reveal where they are ("frequency collisions").

I apologize for the basic presentation, but after commenting about keywords not getting dropped and making posts clearer for future folks who may find it I have been trying to adjust my own explanations accordingly.

Beepster
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/13 12:43:56 (permalink)
mettelus
Ducking is another option for sure, and Beeps' points are good (esp. the pumping concern). I tend not to use this often because a generic compressor is "frequency dumb"  so dives the entire signal.

For separation, frequency (EQ), depth (volume (fader/ducking), reverb (more reverb is further away)), and panning are the three biggies. Typically panning is used more for higher frequencies and not for lowest (for a few reasons). Because of this, kick/bass are also "special" in that they are both commonly center-panned, which removes the "panning option" out of the picture as a solution, but Beeps hit upon the volume aspect.

SPAN will allow you to overlay up to 4 signals which is really nice but not intuitive to set up. Frequency masking is most prominent when signals are not separated by a couple dB or so, with the caveat (very important) of the most important component frequency getting priority. Using an audio microscope is helpful for this to find the material you want to keep so you have a mental record of the key frequencies to work with, then an overlaid frequency spectrum will reveal where they are ("frequency collisions").

I apologize for the basic presentation, but after commenting about keywords not getting dropped and making posts clearer for future folks who may find it I have been trying to adjust my own explanations accordingly.

I've been meaning to check if the Sonitus multiband has a sidechain input. If it does that could be an option so at least the multiband can be set up so compression only occurs on the band(s) where it's needed.

I have also considered modifying the trick of using the old Cakewalk Analyst (which outputs frequency based automation) to create an envelope that is then used to adjust an EQ's parameters. In the method I've seen (Anderton Advanced vids) a boost is applied to an EQ band then the envelope tracks the frequency envelope outputted by the Analyst. This changes the Freq setting so the boost gets applied to wherever the signal Freq was (in that case a vocal and the Freq dial follows/applies the bbost to the notes being sung).

For this I guess the envelope would be set to dip the Gain on an appropriate EQ band on the bass everytime the kick hits. Not sure how that would be routed and I think it would require the envelope be inverted (I think that's possible).

That's probably a little wackier than what Charly wants though and of course there are much better tools that do this automatically (like Melda Spectral Dynamics AFAIK).

You reminded me I need to learn more about SPAN as well.

Cheers.
charlyg
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/14 14:53:10 (permalink)
Ok, I think I'm ready to enter the mixing stage. O thought I'd put it up on soundcloud so you guys can tell me any issues I have since I am not sure which tools to use for what. I still need to separate but I figured it qould be more helpful fot you to see where we are at.... Or if I need to go back and fix something....

https://soundcloud.com/ch...n-of-the-south/s-JKfbS

Thanks, as always
CharlyG

charlyg
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/15 14:06:28 (permalink)
I am creating a bundle for Dropbox if anyone is interested in a little online coaching. I should have a public link by 1130 PST.

post edited by charlyg - 2015/11/15 14:19:31

mettelus
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/15 17:09:48 (permalink)
Hi Charly, have you posted this to the Songs forum? That is often better to get feedback on things and is a better place to post for analysis/feedback. I do not have a great deal of bandwidth these days so wanted to mention that option. Some folks are predominantly in the songs forum and better resources.

This is done nicely. The only things that came across for me were the instruments seem mostly centered (the lead and rhythm guitar could be panned apart) and the high end is more present (louder) than the low end -  the high end seems to have more competition to it. Neither of these have any rules to them, however, so please bear any feedback with a grain of salt. The kick and bass are fine, the bass is lower volume in general compared to the kick, so unclear with the changes you had made from the OP.

orangesporanges
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/22 02:18:37 (permalink)
One other technique you might consider when you just can't seem to find what's competing
for space in your mix that you can get rid of is to take a band with a very narrow "q" and boost it crazy high and sweep it. You will of course, hear that frequency very loudly. The point is to slowly sweep it until you hear the real ringers and howlers.Use that frequency and q to notch those frequencies out.The tighter the notch, the less it will effect the overall tone of the instrument. You can widen the notch if necessary, or leave it. Another thing to try to get past is trying to make each instrument sound perfect when soloed.Sometimes there's just too much going on to do the above method and more aggressive cuts are necessary. "Sounds like crap" when isolated often becomes"sounds perfect" in the context of a mix.
 Take snapshots of the mixes before you make any changes. You can save yourself a lot of grief if you have a before and after to go off of.

post edited by orangesporanges - 2015/11/22 02:34:59
Soundblend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 726
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/22 11:55:26 (permalink)
Video deleted by the OP's " Request "
post edited by Soundblend - 2015/11/24 23:10:37
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/23 15:02:09 (permalink)
Soundblend
Additional info :

Common mixing mistakes and audio myths demystified: 
Stop the High Pass Filters Madness

I've always loved Yachov Smirnoff's accent.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/24 02:11:13 (permalink)
I just try and write bass parts that don't coincide with the kick 

Sounds crazy but it works....

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/24 10:41:43 (permalink)
You are saying arrangement, sharke?  That gives you nothing to fix in the mix. ;-)

Another thing that helps is to low pass all the other acoustic tracks that don't dip into the bass range.  Most tracks can excise anything below 100+ Hz.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
charlyg
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/24 12:37:01 (permalink)
It wasn't the kick or bass eq so much as it was the rhythm guitars low end muddying things up....and the bass needed a little reinforcement(better sim). I ended up buying the Ampeg 8x10 cab, and Bapu's Bass Rider plug did the rest for the bass

Big thanks to Bapu for the tutoring.....

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/24 12:51:20 (permalink)
Soundblend
Additional info :

Common mixing mistakes and audio myths demystified: 
Stop the High Pass Filters Madness

it sounds like he's saying the same thing i said earlier.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Soundblend
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/24 22:12:58 (permalink)
Video deleted cause of OP's " request "

post edited by Soundblend - 2015/11/24 23:11:13
charlyg
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/24 22:28:01 (permalink)
FWIW I would just as soon not see Mixbus videos in my CAKEWALK Sonar thread.....

Soundblend
Re: I need help on instrument separation(kick, bass for one) 2015/11/24 22:54:56 (permalink)
I'll delete the videos...

Don't know what's wrong with em , they are very informative
But as you wish...
post edited by Soundblend - 2015/11/25 09:35:03
Soundblend
Re: I need help on instrument separation/ready for mixing 2015/11/24 23:05:05 (permalink)
Let me remind you about your question :

charlyg
I have heard that one could run low pass/high pass filters to make the kick drum and bass more distinct. I guess there may be a way just thru eq, so I'm looking for a general(not necessarily best) practice on separation. Or is there a video somewhere? I do have that nice frequency chart you guys told me about, but I still need to frame it........

I can't seem to see thru the weeds to know where to turn now that we are in the mixing stage...

Btw : frequency masking and spectral management = clearer mixes
is some keywords here....You may check that up !

And last... using a low cut bell with a small Q setting, is better than using an Hi pass filter for low end definition.

for those who may be interested in this, search youtube for :
HPF Alternative: Clean up your low end without HPF- High Pass Filters Madness follow up

But what do i know... rather than using my ears and learning...
Ill pass the question of your's, to the other forum members so nwm.
post edited by Soundblend - 2015/11/25 00:15:31
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1