Helpful ReplyMotherboards

Author
Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
2015/11/23 05:11:58 (permalink)

Motherboards

For you guys that build your own systems. Which mobo do you prefer and why?

I will probably be building a new one soon primarily for Sonar and just curious what other people are using. I'm not stuck on any one brand, but was fond of Abit for a while. Since they're gone I've bounced around between Asus and Biostar.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/23 12:45:44 (permalink)
Asus has a good motherboard. They seem to have a fairly large following. I just installed an ASRock board which I'm very happy with so far. My last motherboard was a Gigabyte and it is still going strong after 5 plus years.....that speaks for itself.

All of them have a certain percentage of DOA's . People who get a DOA usually aren't as enthusiastic about their motherboard, yet they all have a percentage of failures no matter what you choose.

Bios and I/O layout are very important. The hard drives, memory and cpu are more important than the MOBO IMHO. The higher ended motherboards have things like wifi and plenty of room for massive video cards..mainly catering to gamers. If you're using the computer for recording a mobo with extended onboard sound is probably overkill since you will likely be using an outboard recording interface for recording and playback.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/23 13:41:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2015/11/23 15:41:07
+1 for ASRock motherboards.

When I built my rig (about 2 years ago), I also looked at ASUS & Gigabyte as they were the leading brands at the time and I almost got an ASUS board. Since I was interested in features/bang for the buck, the ASRock board had what the higher end ASUS & GB boards had.  

My system (built for DAW + gaming) has been nothing but excellent performance-wise/stability. Of course I'm bias towards ASRock since that's what I have, but it's good to read all the reviews/benchmarks on all the types of boards you're interested in and make a decision from there.   

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/23 19:45:44 (permalink)
I always read reviews, but I know going in most of those people are gamers. I don't do a lot of gaming anymore so the machine I build will be strictly audio/video.

That's really why I asked that here. Just curious. I haven't had any problems at all with the current setup I have, which has a biostar board. I just build new ones every couple of years and pass the older one on.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/24 03:18:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2015/11/25 20:17:08
+1 ASRock
I've been using them for years now and they have just been destroying the competition. Asus is their parent company but Asus themselves have been having quality control issues the past few years and ASRock has surpassed them in my opinion.

Gaming boards are not a bad thing to use. The thing to consider is that gamers want high performance boards... so do people who work with audio. It kind of goes hand in hand. What's more is that gaming boards are highly customizable and ready to be overclocked if you so desire. When using high resource plugins like Serum or Omnisphere, that can come in handy.

This is what I'm building right now. Only missing a couple pieces I'll pick up this weekend like fans.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y8hNt6
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/24 06:29:11 (permalink)
I currently have two desktops with ASRock Z77 motherboards.  Previously I had a Gigabyte Z77 but the first one failed and was replaced under warranty, the replacement started acting up and I had enough so I dumped it for the ASRock, which I had on hand.   I had another with an ASUS Z77 motherboard but it developed problems and I dumped it for an ASRock.  Both are "rock" solid.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Mesh
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/24 08:55:48 (permalink)
TerraSin

This is what I'm building right now. Only missing a couple pieces I'll pick up this weekend like fans.

Wow Terra, that's a very nice machine......I didn't know they had 16GB RAM sticks available and you're getting 64GB's? (you can throw anything/everything into this DAW) Nice!! :)) 

The only thing that concerned me was if that mid tower case was big enough for the NH-D14 (I have this as well and have a full tower to house it), but I see that it's under the "compatible parts" list. It still might be a tight fit.......I didn't have much room in my Rosewill Thor V2 after installing that cooler (very close to the RAM slots). Excellent cooler BTW.

Pcpartpicker.com is a great site for DIY's.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
TerraSin
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/24 09:28:28 (permalink)
Mesh
TerraSin

Wow Terra, that's a very nice machine......I didn't know they had 16GB RAM sticks available and you're getting 64GB's? (you can throw anything/everything into this DAW) Nice!! :)) 

The only thing that concerned me was if that mid tower case was big enough for the NH-D14 (I have this as well and have a full tower to house it), but I see that it's under the "compatible parts" list. It still might be a tight fit.......I didn't have much room in my Rosewill Thor V2 after installing that cooler (very close to the RAM slots). Excellent cooler BTW.

Pcpartpicker.com is a great site for DIY's.

I wanted to go 128GB because of the amount of sampled tracks I use at times to keep it from bottlenecking but sadly there is no support on Skylake for over 64 so it will do for now. I still feel like I'm going to be freezing a lot of tracks without running a slave. There are only a few companies that make 16GB sticks so I'm crossing my fingers as I've never used Corsair's RAM before.

I had the same concern. I have this case on the existing PC already and am getting a second cause I like it so much so I took the CPU fan out of the box and hovered it inside the case. It's huge but it does fit. Also saw through comments on NewEgg that others have put it in so I'm hopeful. I thought about getting the slightly larger Fractal Design R5 but there are some issues I have with that case. The corsair has been a really good case.
Mesh
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/24 10:23:33 (permalink)
That'll certainly looks to be one Super Daw!! (just compare that to the 4GB max RAM in an XP machine....lol).
You've got some serious sampling going on here......you should post some of your music in the songs forum.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Starise
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/24 12:16:12 (permalink)
That looks like a nice build. I am wondering about all of those fans though? Not sure about the Corsair case, but my case  has two fans and the temp in the case never  gets close to  critical. 
After my build you can  almost drive a small car into the case. Great for cooling though since there is plenty of room for things to breathe. 
The Noctua  offers push pull cooling . You can add an additional fan, but most say it isn't an extreme difference.
I can lay my hand on the cooler with one fan and it isn't even warm to the touch.

If you want to go with 128gb look at the mobo in my sig. Can't use that cpu though and video is modular. Not a bad thing if you wanted two monitors with the same connection anyways.
post edited by Starise - 2015/11/24 12:44:53

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

TerraSin
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/24 14:42:37 (permalink)
Starise
That looks like a nice build. I am wondering about all of those fans though? Not sure about the Corsair case, but my case  has two fans and the temp in the case never  gets close to  critical. 
After my build you can  almost drive a small car into the case. Great for cooling though since there is plenty of room for things to breathe. 
The Noctua  offers push pull cooling . You can add an additional fan, but most say it isn't an extreme difference.
I can lay my hand on the cooler with one fan and it isn't even warm to the touch.

If you want to go with 128gb look at the mobo in my sig. Can't use that cpu though and video is modular. Not a bad thing if you wanted two monitors with the same connection anyways.

The computer will be going into an isolation cabinet eventually. You want to make sure you're pushing air when you have a computer in one of those. 5 fans will circulate better than 3. I thought about taking two of them off because the CPU will have 2 fans on it as well but I may replace one of them with one of these if it's quieter for the time being. If I feel I don't need the extra fans, I'll swap them out of my other computer because those are using SilenX fans which are more noisy than I would like them to be.

The ASRock Extreme 4 mobo has a 64GB limit on RAM as well. I wanted to futureproof this a bit and the best way to do that was with Skylake. Typically I go for previous generation releases on processors but the native support for Thunderbolt and more PCIE lanes for my eventual switch to M.2 drives were important if I didn't want to have to build a new one in 2-3 years. The Extreme 7 board I got has onboard video that will run 4K natively with Skylake as well up to 3 monitors. The 4K TV I picked up will be used for having more real estate to play with on my track screen. Especially where editing midi is concerned.

Everything will be connected through Synergy as a software KVM Switch so I can use the same keyboard, mouse and monitors on multiple machines. I've fallen in love with that program. ;)
cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/24 15:47:13 (permalink)
I have a Gigabyte 990 (in my signature) but I'm running an
FX-8300, not Intel, and it's be awesome!

I can't even afford to think about Intel...LOL

Starise
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/25 10:10:58 (permalink)
TerraSin
Starise

The computer will be going into an isolation cabinet eventually. You want to make sure you're pushing air when you have a computer in one of those. 5 fans will circulate better than 3. I thought about taking two of them off because the CPU will have 2 fans on it as well but I may replace one of them with one of these if it's quieter for the time being. If I feel I don't need the extra fans, I'll swap them out of my other computer because those are using SilenX fans which are more noisy than I would like them to be.

The ASRock Extreme 4 mobo has a 64GB limit on RAM as well. I wanted to futureproof this a bit and the best way to do that was with Skylake. Typically I go for previous generation releases on processors but the native support for Thunderbolt and more PCIE lanes for my eventual switch to M.2 drives were important if I didn't want to have to build a new one in 2-3 years. The Extreme 7 board I got has onboard video that will run 4K natively with Skylake as well up to 3 monitors. The 4K TV I picked up will be used for having more real estate to play with on my track screen. Especially where editing midi is concerned.

Everything will be connected through Synergy as a software KVM Switch so I can use the same keyboard, mouse and monitors on multiple machines. I've fallen in love with that program. ;)

You might have looked at an older version of the extreme 4. I think they make one for the older socket /chips too. My board does, in fact, support 128gb of memory-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157543

I had a typo in my sig which might be the source of the confusion..that mobo also supports thunderbolt and has an M2 slot. 

Since I've never used an isolation case I can't comment on that. It just looked like a heckuva lot of fans and I was curious.

Here's some pics of my build using 3 fans.You can't see the fan in the front. All of the compnents I bought are rated quiet, including the video card. If I had been building for looks I wouldn't have chosen the Noctua fan..still I like that the memory has the same color scheme as the mobo. I'm overclocked to 4.4ghz and my temps are coming in at 30c with the noctura on one fan. If I go back to 4ghz I could reduce that. 6 cores with hyperthreading are like having 12 cores. It boots fast..very fast :)

post edited by Starise - 2015/11/30 11:18:20

Twitter @Rodein

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/25 10:21:09 (permalink)
 Asus, Gigabyte and AsRock.  Even others like MSI are fine.  I will never touch an ECS board again.
Intel no longer makes consumer boards.

I always buy board under $125.  Sometimes more bells and whistles are not needed like onboard wifi and multiple video card slots.  The lower priced ones also offer PCI slots which I still need. The one Larry uses still comes with a 1394 port.

BTW future proof is a myth.  Most of the current stuff will run for a long time unless developers ignore minimizing resources. I still have some Phenom IIs that can run well.  

post edited by kitekrazy1 - 2015/11/25 10:40:51

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
Starise
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/25 10:51:55 (permalink)
kitecrazy.  I agree. I think buying new hardware for me was more about preparing for a probable failure. Future proofing having more to do with hardware stability. I did think about getting more recent hardware though simply because it made sense :) I also agree about the bells and whistles...I don't need bluetooth or wifi on my mobo since I wire direct. I wanted to choose which video card so I didn't really want onboard video. I still wound up with onboard sound. Most of what I wanted a gamer also wants with the exception of video. I want good video. I don't need best video.

TerraSin- I am sure my mobo will take up to 128gb of memory.

Maybe you seen another model? It also has M2 slot and has provision for thunderbolt. I probably won't ever need 128gb of memory. I could push 10 tracks of Kontakt on an older machine with only 8gb unfrozen...so 16gb should be more than ample. You must be into some heavy stuff there :) Most home studio users will find 16gb to be plenty.

I can't comment on isolation boxes since I have never used one of those. I primarily try to keep my airflow and cpu temps at decent levels with a minimal use of fans mainly to reduce noise levels in my studio, but that's me. I am only getting 30c on a 5820K clocked to 4.4mhz on my cpu with two case fans and the noctua cpu fan...so I seen no need to add more cooling.

post edited by Starise - 2015/11/30 10:48:55

Twitter @Rodein

Starise
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/25 11:56:40 (permalink)

Duplicate deleted.
post edited by Starise - 2015/11/30 10:48:33

Twitter @Rodein

TerraSin
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/26 07:01:52 (permalink)
Starise
kitecrazy.  I agree. I think buying new hardware for me was more about preparing for a probable failure. Future proofing having more to do with hardware stability. I did think about getting more recent hardware though simply because it made sense :) I also agree about the bells and whistles...I don't need bluetooth or wifi on my mobo since I wire direct. I wanted to choose which video card so I didn't really want onboard video. I still wound up with onboard sound. Most of what I wanted a gamer also wants with the exception of video. I want good video. I don't need best video.

TerraSin- I am sure my mobo will take up to 128gb of memory.

Maybe you seen another model? It also has M2 slot and has provision for thunderbolt. I probably won't ever need 128gb of memory. I could push 10 tracks of Kontakt on an older machine with only 8gb unfrozen...so 16gb should be more than ample. You must be into some heavy stuff there :) Most home studio users will find 16gb to be plenty.

I can't comment on isolation boxes since I have never used one of those. I primarily try to keep my airflow and cpu temps at decent levels with a minimal use of fans mainly to reduce noise levels in my studio, but that's me. I am only getting 30c on a 5820K clocked to 4.4mhz on my cpu with two case fans and the noctua cpu fan...so I seen no need to add more cooling.

I have attempted twice to post pics but I don't think this forum likes my links so I'll attempt it on the next post.
If you don't see pics I couldn't get it to work :) 

For me, futureproofing means being able to use this build for about 4 years without running into issues. Things like the Hollywood series and even some patches in Omnisphere really put a strain on my existing system which is i7 3.5ghz w/32GB RAM.

I went with onboard video because the new Skylake has the ability to run x3 4K monitors natively rather than having to put in another piece of hardware with a fan. There were some options of fanless 4K support but I didn't like any of them and the build was expensive enough already.

You're correct, I was looking at the wrong board. Here's the thing about that one though: the only way you'd be able to get 128GB on it would be to use a Xeon processor which I was trying to avoid. The LGA 2011 has a maximum of either 32GB for i5-4670k/i7-4770k and 64GB for i7-4930k/i7-4960k.

One big selling point for me was more pcie lanes on Skylake which allows for more M.2 drives. I eventually want to dump some of my SSDs for them since they are quite a bit faster which is nice when working with large orchestra samples.

Fans, I'm going to drop down to 3 since the cpu cooler has two fans on it already and put the other two in my personal machine. I was actually re-evaluating the existing noise in here and found the majority of my fan noise was coming from my personal computer which at the same desk. The whole computer is going to my wife once this build is done so my personal computer will become my existing studio computer while the new build is the new studio computer. Both will have quieter cases but they aren't quiet enough IMO when doing any live recording with microphones.

I'll get some pictures of the new build once it's finished. Been waiting on the case to go on sale to see if I can save a few more bucks.
Starise
Re: Motherboards 2015/11/30 11:03:26 (permalink)
Good luck with your new build. Post the pics!

I'm wondering if maybe at least some of the issues with Omnisphere and your orchestral libraries were due to the HDDs  read speed and not really as much of a memory issue. Can't hurt to put extra memory in though.

The use of M2 drives seems directly tied to the number of total lanes a cpu can carry. A 28 lane cpu won't allow as much data transfer as a 40 lane cpu. FWIW I'm using 2011-v3 socket and not LGA 2011. Using a 28 lane cpu slows data down  on other sockets if you try to load them all. To me the cost of a 40 lane cpu wasn't worth it for what I do. So instead of having a socket moving 16X it might be reduced to 8x depending on the mobo layout. This is only a problem if you are trying to load all of your PCIe sockets. I wasn't. Also with M2 drives you need the physical sockets and most boards seem to only offer one or two M2 sockets.  They are pretty impressive though..smaller and faster. I think an M2 would make a great boot drive.

The  SSDs are so small that my case allows for two to be mounted under the mobo in addition to the other full slots. Looks kinda funny putting something a little larger than a cracker into those slots. 

Sounds like a good call on the fans. If you record with mikes in your studio, you can run a little test. Plug in a mic and set to a cardoid pattern with headphones on and monitors off. Even with some fan noise in most cases you will barely hear anything at all if you have the mic facing away from the computer. Your ears don't hear in cardoid so it can be misleading how much you really are picking up if recording in a cardiod pattern. If recording in omni though it could be a problem if the computer is too loud.

post edited by Starise - 2015/11/30 11:22:13

Twitter @Rodein

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1