Playing old .wrk files (containing MIDI tracks) in Sonar X1

Author
Charl43
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2015/11/25 16:15:14 (permalink)

Playing old .wrk files (containing MIDI tracks) in Sonar X1

Hi all
I have some old .wrk files (containing MIDI tracks) from Cakewalk Professional :-) that I want to play in Sonar X1 :-) using Soft Synths.

1) I opened the .wrk files in Sonar X1 and they play to my external MIDI Sound Generator but I want to try that some tracks rather play using Cakewalk's internal Soft Synths.
2) I then eventually want to record single track playbacks as new audio tracks one by one for mixing later.

Please help me to do the above. I can insert the Soft Synth but how to I get some tracks to play using the Soft Synth. When I select the output to the name of the SS I hear nothing for that track. Must I add multiple instances of the SS. How do I select the instrument for the SS.

Thanks!

3 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Playing old .wrk files (containing MIDI tracks) in Sonar X1 2015/11/25 16:20:14 (permalink)
    You could drag and drop the old midi data on to the new soft synths midi track.

Are you inserting your soft synths as "Simple Instruments tracks" or as split Audio/Midi tracks?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Charl43
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Playing old .wrk files (containing MIDI tracks) in Sonar X1 2015/11/25 16:26:53 (permalink)
    Wookiee

Are you inserting your soft synths as "Simple Instruments tracks" or as split Audio/Midi tracks?

Wookiee

Simple Instrument tracks.
    Okay that did the trick.. I dragged the clip from the original track to the new Simple Instrument track. I can now hear whatever instrument I selected for the SS for that track. So I should do this now for every track if I want to play all tracks together?
    How do I get the clips to align to each other?
    Also, some of the lower and higher notes for the bass SS won't play.

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Playing old .wrk files (containing MIDI tracks) in Sonar X1 2015/11/25 18:30:49 (permalink)
    You were headed in the right direction the first time, but when inserting the synth, you need to choose to create the track for the First Audio Output (or All Outputs - Stereo if it's a multi-timbral synth). Then re-direct your existing MIDI track(s) output to the synth, and you should hear them. If the synth is multi-timbral, you'll want to set a different output channel on each MIDI track, and assign instruments to those channels in the synth GUI accordingly.

If you don't have SONAR create the output tracks(s), you can add audio tracks after the fact, and assign their Inputs to receive the synth output. I actually recommend creating tracks and assigning their I/O manually to start so that you understand how MIDI Track > Synth > Audio Track routing works.

Simple Instrument tracks which combine MIDI and Audio tracks with automatic assignment as I/O to/from the synth, are appropriate for non-multi-timbral instruments, and you can preserve the clip start times by holding Shift as you drag them from the original track into the SI track.

If you have a lot of similarly arranged projects to convert, you might want to create a template project with all the usual tracks and synths already set up, and copy the MIDI tracks from the original project into a new project started from the template.

Regarding missing low bass notes, a lot of bass synths/patches are programmed to sound an octave lower than notated to make it easier to record MIDI from a 61-key keyboard. You may need to transpose those tracks up an octave (or use the non-destructive Key+ offset in the MIDI track). If both low and high notes are missing, you may have played beyond the range of the instrument.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1