Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience!

Author
rscain
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
2015/11/26 18:33:09 (permalink)

Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience!

Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands of all time, and Cousin Dupree is one of my favorite songs of theirs. I decided to try to cover it......man, what a humbling experience. I've been working on it for a long time now. This is the first mix. I hope you enjoy it.

Rhythm Guitars - Strat thru Amplitube 4
Solo Guitar- Telecaster thru Amplitube 4
Bass - Yamaha Bass thru Amplitube 4
Piano - Native Instruments New York Grand
Elec. Piano - Lounge Lizard
The Whistler - Dimension Pro
Drums - AD2
All vocals done with the TC Helicon VoiceLive 3

My apologies to Donald Fagen and Walter Becker!

https://soundcloud.com/rscain/cousin-dupree
post edited by rscain - 2015/11/26 23:14:16

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 

20 Replies Related Threads

String Jammer
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/26 18:39:42 (permalink)
    I love it! Nice clear mix. I like how the two guitar tracks work together. Nice vocal harmonies too. The whistle is a little harsh in my speakers though. 
    post edited by String Jammer - 2015/11/26 18:51:10
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/27 06:43:26 (permalink)
    rscain
    Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands of all time, and Cousin Dupree is one of my favorite songs of theirs.

Mine too Bob, great lyrics, especially the pay-off in the last verse. I think you nailed it, the groove is right in the pocket, instruments sound perfect, mix is good..top job!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/27 08:10:16 (permalink)
    sounded good to me... I'm not familiar with the original.  It has that SD groove to it.

Nice work

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/27 10:30:22 (permalink)
    Really sweet work, I love me some Steely Dan. Great work!

Kevin Walsh
    My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
    256GB SSD, 2TB HD
    Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
    MOTU 8Pre Interface
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/27 13:30:39 (permalink)
    Nice, you got that Steely Dan groove from the off, nice airy open mix, good instrument positioning.  The whistle thing is a little harsh but not to much.  Good job all round thanks for sharing

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/27 19:33:12 (permalink)
    If this is you having "trouble" with a cover - ha! no worries! You are nailing this. Particularly the background vocals!

I didn't notice the whistle being too harsh, but I would definitely move your vocals up front, a little louder, right now the bass is dominating them, at least in my hphones. 

very well done! the vibe is totally there.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    rscain
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/28 12:11:29 (permalink)
    String Jammer
    I love it! Nice clear mix. I like how the two guitar tracks work together. Nice vocal harmonies too. The whistle is a little harsh in my speakers though. 

Thanks! It took me a long time to mix this, I tried to get it as clear as the usual mix on a Dan tune and of course it's nowhere close to that.

jamesg1213
    rscain
    Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands of all time, and Cousin Dupree is one of my favorite songs of theirs.

Mine too Bob, great lyrics, especially the pay-off in the last verse. I think you nailed it, the groove is right in the pocket, instruments sound perfect, mix is good..top job!

Thanks James! Yeah, the lyrics are great, an economical but perfect bit of story telling. Fagen and Becker at their best! I tried to replicate the instruments in the song as best I could but there's still some things missing. There's a killer organ part that I just couldn't make happen. That, along with a lot of other stuff is what made this whole project so humbling. Those guys are Masters at their craft!

Guitarhacker
    sounded good to me... I'm not familiar with the original.  It has that SD groove to it.
    Nice work

Thanks Herb, really appreciate the kind words and the listen. If your a Steely Dan fan you should check out the original, it's one of their best tunes.

kevinwal
    Really sweet work, I love me some Steely Dan. Great work!

Thanks Kevin! I'm a Dan fan from way back also. This was a total blast to do.

Wookiee
    Nice, you got that Steely Dan groove from the off, nice airy open mix, good instrument positioning.  The whistle thing is a little harsh but not to much.  Good job all round thanks for sharing

Thanks Wookie, the mix was tough, still not finished. As you and several others have mentioned, got to tame that whistle!

emeraldsoul
    If this is you having "trouble" with a cover - ha! no worries! You are nailing this. Particularly the background vocals!

I didn't notice the whistle being too harsh, but I would definitely move your vocals up front, a little louder, right now the bass is dominating them, at least in my hphones. 

very well done! the vibe is totally there.

cheers,
    -Tom

Thank you Tom. I just meant that trying to cover these guys songs is really difficult, from figuring out the arrangements to final mix. To me they're some of the best, then and now.
    The harmonies where done with the TC Helicon VoiceLive 3, which is an amazing piece of gear.

Again, a big thanks to everyone for taking the time to listen and comment, it's much appreciated!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
    clintmartin
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3893
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/28 12:35:18 (permalink)
    Really nice job on the mix. As a huge Dan fan I'll say you've done much better than I could have done.
    Your drums have more reverb than Keith Carlock has had on the last two Dan records, but that's not a bad thing from my point of view. I think his drums have been a bit too dry with Steely Dan.
    Fantastic job!

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
    http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
    https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

Sailor55
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/28 13:18:38 (permalink)
    Excellent work on an an extremely challenging tune.  Most of the touches are there including the backup vocal etc.  I am duly impressed. My band tried to play this a few years back.  The keyboard player said it wouldn't be so hard... all we had to do was "capture the feel".  Needless to say, we did not capture the feel.  But you sure did.   Nice! - Dan
    Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/28 13:36:47 (permalink)
    Excellent stuff here rscain and you covered it really well!!!! Mix & performance are top notch. Love me some S. Dan!! 

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/30 15:38:01 (permalink)
    It's funny, when I was a long-haired rocker in my youth, I never appreciated Steely Dan, at all. About 4-5 years ago, I was reading something from an engineer who pointed to Steely Dan as an example of perfect mixes. So, I had to go find some. I've been listening to them ever since. Truly amazing mixes and playing.

Ahem, anyway, I think you did them justice with this. Nice clean tight mix. Great job!

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/11/30 16:36:47 (permalink)
     Not real familiar with any SDan except I hear mentioned often how well their material is mixed.  A great sounding tune displaying some great tone and musicianship. I enjoyed.

Me

Leizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/12/03 17:27:46 (permalink)
    This was great! I've listen a lot to Steely Dan, and specially to this album. You nailed everything there is to nail! Even the voice is so similar so I start to wonder which version I'm listen to. But the most important - more than all the similarities - it that you really got the groove.

I have thought of maybe doing a Steely Dan cover myself, (my favourite "Barrytown"). But when the originals are so perfect you hesitate. Glad you didn't!

Dell i7-2600 3,40 Ghz, 16Gb RAM // SX1 drive: 240 Gb SSD // Windows 7 64 Bit // SONAR Platinum 64 bit // Focusrite Saffire 6 USB // KORG D888 Mixer // Roland JV-2080 MIDI synth // Guitars, basses, violins etc.

https://soundcloud.com/lasse-williamsson
    MarkusClinus
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 710
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/12/03 18:49:55 (permalink)
    You certainly don't need to apologize to anyone for this - this is a very nice recording. You've got some talent going on there my friend. The mix seems perfect to me.

Love this.

Mark
    (formerly CLEAN)
    THE PUGTONES

daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/12/04 12:45:15 (permalink)
    Big Steely Dan fan here  - you have done it justice mate
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/12/06 10:43:27 (permalink)
    No need to apologize to anybody on this.

Obviously you are very talented at playing and mixing. 

Really love it at 2:44. 

I don't know why I always say people should turn the vocals up a little bit, but here I go again.  I think turning up the vocals a little bit would be great.  The backing vocals too.

@ 4:30 I'm tapping my feet.

Super effort! 

I admire your talent.

Jesse
    rscain
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/12/08 16:41:38 (permalink)
    clintmartin
    Really nice job on the mix. As a huge Dan fan I'll say you've done much better than I could have done.
    Your drums have more reverb than Keith Carlock has had on the last two Dan records, but that's not a bad thing from my point of view. I think his drums have been a bit too dry with Steely Dan.
    Fantastic job!

Thanks a lot Clint! The drums are a little "wetter" than a typical Steely Dan mix but it just seemed to fit the mix, so....
    Sailor55
    Excellent work on an an extremely challenging tune.  Most of the touches are there including the backup vocal etc.  I am duly impressed. My band tried to play this a few years back.  The keyboard player said it wouldn't be so hard... all we had to do was "capture the feel".  Needless to say, we did not capture the feel.  But you sure did.   Nice! - Dan

Thanks Sailor, I wouldn't try this live with my band. We don't have the keyboards or the vocals to pull it off. I suppose you could kinda "bastardize" the arrangement but it wouldn't be the same.

Mesh
    Excellent stuff here rscain and you covered it really well!!!! Mix & performance are top notch. Love me some S. Dan!! 

Appreciate it Mesh. I'm a huge Dan fan too. I've been wanting to try to cover one of their tunes for a while, finally worked up the nerve to give it a shot.

ohgrant
     Not real familiar with any SDan except I hear mentioned often how well their material is mixed.  A great sounding tune displaying some great tone and musicianship. I enjoyed.

Thanks Grant! You should check out some of their stuff, even if you're not into their style it's worth a listen just to hear the, IMHO, unmatched excellence of their production. Thanks again for the listen and the kind words!

Leizer
    This was great! I've listen a lot to Steely Dan, and specially to this album. You nailed everything there is to nail! Even the voice is so similar so I start to wonder which version I'm listen to. But the most important - more than all the similarities - it that you really got the groove.

I have thought of maybe doing a Steely Dan cover myself, (my favourite "Barrytown"). But when the originals are so perfect you hesitate. Glad you didn't!

Thanks a lot, Lasse! I'm not half the singer Fagen is so that's a real compliment (to me, anyway). The groove was the toughest, getting the rhythm parts, especially the drums, bass, and that signature repeating guitar lick all sitting in the pocket.
    You should try Barrytown, great tune. You'll learn a lot, I know I did!

MarkusClinus
    You certainly don't need to apologize to anyone for this - this is a very nice recording. You've got some talent going on there my friend. The mix seems perfect to me.

Love this.

Thanks a lot Mark. I'm like most of us, every time I listen to the mix I think I hear something I could "fix", lol. I finally had to make myself stop. Glad you liked it!

daryl1968
    Big Steely Dan fan here  - you have done it justice mate

Thanks so much Daryl, that means a lot coming from a guy with your catalog!

Jesse Screed
    No need to apologize to anybody on this.

Obviously you are very talented at playing and mixing. 

Really love it at 2:44. 

I don't know why I always say people should turn the vocals up a little bit, but here I go again.  I think turning up the vocals a little bit would be great.  The backing vocals too.

@ 4:30 I'm tapping my feet.

Super effort! 

I admire your talent.

Jesse

Wow Jesse, I really appreciate that. I don't know that it's so much talent as it is time and work put in, this took me over a month to get done! When I revisit the mix (as I inevitably will), I'll give boosting the vocals some consideration.

Again, many many thanks to everyone for listening and taking the time to comment. I will do my best to reciprocate!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/12/08 17:29:45 (permalink)
    RS Cain,

No easy task to take on Steely Dan.   You did a nice job.   I would bring the LVOX up a bit and maybe take some of the verb...  Guitar and bass sound pretty spot on,  might dry up the drums a hair as well.   Overall, very good performance.

Regards 
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/12/13 14:28:24 (permalink)
    Very reputable cover IMO.
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Steely Dan cover- "Cousin Dupree" A humbling experience! 2015/12/15 14:51:23 (permalink)
    Wow... that was really good!   Another long time SD fan so I can certainly appreciate the effort you put into this, not only for the "parts" but also the "vibe".   The guitar lead and fills were nicely in the pocket.   And clean mix too, in SD fashion.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1