SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. NOT! Two Year Follow Up

Author
pharohoknaughty
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
2013/11/12 12:52:56 (permalink)

SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. NOT! Two Year Follow Up

I finally got my new computer more or less figured out.

It uses a 500 gig SSD (solid state drive) for the boot.

I also specified an i7 4770 processor and 16 gigs of memory.

I wanted to let everybody know that so far I am very satisfied with the speed.

With my last computer (which was not slow). I had to wait a moment for recording to start.  Sometimes I would make a mess of things because I would hit keys in a rapid succession, like w, ctrl z, and r (rewind to beginning, delete last recording, and start a new recording). On the prior machine the moment of pause between commands would cause undesirable result.

Now the recording starts just as I hit the R key. Commands are instantaneous.

Also, Windows and Sonar both boot quickly. I used to not want to sign off Sonar and sign back on because of the delay. But now its real quick. About 3 seconds to get into Sonar. 10 seconds to load a good sized song with fair amount of plugs and soft synths. Less than one second to load a simple song with only two tracks and a two plugs. Close to instantaneous to close a song or close Sonar.

What I didn't realize about SSD until I bought one is that the larger they are, the faster. Each time you double the size, the speed also more or less doubles. So a 512 gig will be twice as fast as a 256. I imagine its because they build the drive like a conventional RAID. Two drives RAIDed together will be twice as fast as the drives separately, and theoretically four drives four times as fast as one. At least it makes sense to me, the information highway is twice as big each time you double the size.

Since the speed of the boot drive is so fast, it makes no sense to use a second drive to store the audio data. This I find to be convenient.

Having a fast processor and 16 gigs of memory doesn't hurt.

The thing is really quiet too. The other hard drives shut down when not being used, and the cooler for the CPU is one of those new liquid coolers. The video is built into the CPU so there is no video card fan. The ASUS board has all kinds of fan management built in to control the fan on the liquid cooler and the power supply.

About 10 years ago, I used a separate computer for Sonar, and another for general use. Now, partly because computers have improved, and partly because I am not trying to be an audio pro, I only use one. This new box is fast for other programs also, which is really nice.

Its not nirvana here with computers, though.

Windows 8 is making me nuts. I have to admit I am struggling with Sonar X3 since I went from 8.5 to X2 to X3 in a couple months time, along with a new operating system and hardware.

I am using the video provided by the CPU that is built in. There seems to be no way to make it fit the monitor, so there is about a one inch unused black space all around the usable image. I don't know if I need a new monitor or a video card.

For some reason my keyboard will occasionally just quit working and I have to reboot. And no, its not bad batteries in the keyboard. Once I was waiting to the last second to buy something on Ebay. I went to place the bid, but the keyboard was dead and I couldn't type in the amount of the bid. So, using the still functioning mouse, I rebooted, signed onto Ebay, and placed the winning bid. I was able to do this in a very short period, but it should not have been a problem in the first place.

From my experience, the SSD is the way to go. They are running US$300 to $500 for a nice 500 gig Samsung model right now.

post edited by pharohoknaughty - 2015/11/27 12:40:36

17 Replies Related Threads

Loptec
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 948
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2013/11/13 01:54:27 (permalink)
    Sounds awesome! :)
    When you say it instantly starts recording when pressing 'R', does this mean you record onto the SSD-drive as well? Or do you have a separate drive for your projects?

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
    Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2013/11/13 02:16:32 (permalink)
    Don't know where you get your info on SSD and RAID speeds. Interesting.

Glad you're happy with your new PC.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    pharohoknaughty
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2013/11/13 03:26:51 (permalink)
    Loptec:

I use drive C:, an SSD, for both boot, and to store audio. It is fast enough to not need a separate drive like the old days. And the quick random access makes it appear instantaneous (at least my theory).

Mudgel:

I was over-enthusiastic now that I looked closer.

Larger SSDs are faster but there are diminishing returns.

Here is a quote for the following article

While there are exceptions here and there, the overall results couldn't be clearer: SSDs get faster as their capacities rise. Solid-state drives are essentially parallel arrays of NAND memory, so that outcome is to be expected. The more NAND in the array, the more parallelism can be exploited in the controller, the faster the drive. This dynamic is especially true for writes and random I/O, but sequential reads don't see much benefit from higher capacities.

http://techreport.com/review/22358/ssd-performance-scaling-across-the-spectrum/13

I am afraid I listened to the salesman at Micro Center foo carefully!

It turns out for the Samsung drives read speed is only slightly increased with capacity, but write speed goes up with size.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6338/

For me the question was to buy two 250 meg drives, one for boot, and one for audio, or to buy one 500 meg. My belief that the 500 was twice as fast as the 250 caused me to buy the 500 gig drive instead of two 250s.

Now looking back, it seems two 250s might have been smarter, since they were each about half the cost of the 500.

But overall I am very happy with the whole deal. Soon I will buy another big SSD for backup.

I hope this helps. I am not a technical guy, but I try.
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2013/11/13 06:31:05 (permalink)
    I didn't want to be a jerk and say you didn't have a clue what you were saying or something like that. I hoped my comment would make you take another look at your info and you did. Either way you've got an awesome piece of kit and you know more than you did before. That's the best all of us can get. I'm no expert either. Enjoy.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    pharohoknaughty
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2013/11/13 10:39:49 (permalink)
    mudgel
    I didn't want to be a jerk and say you didn't have a clue what you were saying or something like that. I hoped my comment would make you take another look at your info and you did. Either way you've got an awesome piece of kit and you know more than you did before. That's the best all of us can get. I'm no expert either. Enjoy.

Thanks for being cool.

pharohoknaughty
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/27 12:23:53 (permalink)
    This is a 2 year follow up.

I no longer use SSD drives.

I didn't realize how few times you can write to them.

My operating system, windows 8.1 got more and more unstable and had to re-build itself several times and finally just became unusable.

I changed all of my file structure to not write to the SSD (ie downloads, audio files, etc). But the machine just was not stable.

I got way too many blue screens with various Windows error messages.

I tried cloning and replacing the SSD twice. Samsung Magician, the SSD management software, always reported that the drives were good, but I replaced it anyway.

I really am not sure if the culprit was the SSD or some other thing like a bad MOBO, but at this point in the game I have decided to eliminate what appears to be an extra un-needed complexity. The speed enhancements are not worth potential instability.  I was under the belief that the SSD would be more reliable than a whirling platter, but now I believe the opposite.

So I am having a new computer built with a regular, conventional hard drive for the boot.

So that is my follow up.

kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/27 16:35:07 (permalink)
    That really stinks, sorry to hear about this. SSD is so superior when it's doing its thing correctly that I hate to contemplate going back to platters. I've had a 256GB drive working incredibly well for several years now, but I'm growing more paranoid of failures with every story I read about the issues people have with them. I image backup daily to external HDD to mitigate that paranoia somewhat.  My Sonar projects are on an internal 2TB HDD so maybe that's why the SSD has been so reliable for me.

I've also read that reliability improvements have been made to SSD technology so hopefully this kind of experience will become more rare as time goes on. Good luck with your new build.

Kevin Walsh
    My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
    256GB SSD, 2TB HD
    Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
    MOTU 8Pre Interface
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/27 20:02:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for reporting back, pharoh. So often posters make an announcement and never return. And we don't get that many long-term reports from SSD users.

It's true that SSDs have a short lifespan compared to conventional drives, because you can only write to them so many times before they become unreliable. Even before they start misbehaving they start losing storage capacity as unusable sectors are gradually mapped out. The newer ones delay this by spreading the writes out over the whole matrix so that the cells age uniformly. But if you were using one for your C: drive and the virtual memory swap device was located there (as it is by default), then you were unknowingly writing to that SSD far more often than you realized. It's not surprising that it would "wear out" quickly in that role.

I do not currently use SSDs, but probably will in the near future. However, they will be treated as write-once devices and be used solely for sample libraries, and will be mirrored to a conventional hard drive. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/27 20:21:30 (permalink)
    Interesting. I would expect chkdsk errors and inability to write in the event viewer if they are on the way out. I think it's pretty important the firmware is kept up to date on these drives as well. Certainly year by year they must be getting more reliable as the warranty periods are increasing. I've only just stepped into SSD because I too was concerned about reliability, I'm hoping I've entered at the right time. I think any SSD card over 500GB is too expensive right now IMHO.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    pharohoknaughty
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/27 20:46:05 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Thanks for reporting back, pharoh. So often posters make an announcement and never return. And we don't get that many long-term reports from SSD users.

It's true that SSDs have a short lifespan compared to conventional drives, because you can only write to them so many times before they become unreliable. Even before they start misbehaving they start losing storage capacity as unusable sectors are gradually mapped out. The newer ones delay this by spreading the writes out over the whole matrix so that the cells age uniformly. But if you were using one for your C: drive and the virtual memory swap device was located there (as it is by default), then you were unknowingly writing to that SSD far more often than you realized. It's not surprising that it would "wear out" quickly in that role.

I do not currently use SSDs, but probably will in the near future. However, they will be treated as write-once devices and be used solely for sample libraries, and will be mirrored to a conventional hard drive. 

I imagined that windows was still writing to the drive but I didn't know about memory swaps.

My machine had 16 gigs of memory. I was using an EVO 840 at first and then went to and EVO 850. Might have been an 840 Pro in the middle, I forget. But when I cloned them I think they cloned the defects. It even cloned the drives write specs as reported in Samsung Magician, if I am not wrong.

Interesting idea about using them for sample library. I don't really use sample playback much, but I might in the future.  Plus I could put my huge MP3 (85,000 tunes) on them. Thanks for the idea because I have three of these expensive things all 500 gigs that I didn't plan to use anymore. The idea is to use them for lookup only, not writing. If they fail no big deal. Of course a "lookup only" drive is very easy to keep backed up.  Will keep this in mind.

BTW, I am happy to hear if someone else has good luck with these, it very well could have been some other thing causing my problem. In fact it is a safe assumption it was actually caused by CIA spying on my sonar projects!

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/27 21:11:52 (permalink)
    My experience has been the opposite of the OP. I use Intel drives and (knock on wood) they have been great. If you look at the failure rate, SSD's are no worse than spinners, and they are way faster. I think it's important to have a computer that recognizes them and blocks certain disk activity like defragging.

I'm not a computer guy but I deal with a little shop of deranged geeks instead of a big box store. They tell me what's best and I install it. When I switched over to SSD's they told me my motherboard would be obsolete before the drives failed.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Jesse G
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/27 21:18:06 (permalink)
    After reading this post, I decided to do some looking around for the average lifespan of a SSD drive.  The newer ones are getting better with life span.

http://betanews.com/2014/12/05/modern-ssds-can-last-a-lifetime/

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Doktor Avalanche
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/27 21:35:28 (permalink)
    pharohoknaughty
    I imagined that windows was still writing to the drive but I didn't know about memory swaps.

Yeah one of the first things magician wants to do if you use the optimizer (which is quite good now IMHO) is reduce the size of your windows paging file.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/27 23:13:02 (permalink)
    I have 24gb of RAM, so my usage doesn't generally trigger paging. I also have a very minimal size paging file on my HDD and not on my SSD.

Kevin Walsh
    My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
    256GB SSD, 2TB HD
    Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
    MOTU 8Pre Interface
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/28 00:31:53 (permalink)
    Interesting timing on this, as I was just looking at Samsung prices yesterday...

Windows Indexer is another thing to keep off an SSD. There is a lot of system setup required to use them for their intended purpose. I have read some articles that have hinted that heat is a primary performance issue, as SSD's do get hot. This makes me leery of laptop usage (where they make the most sense), since laptops run hot to begin with and "putting a fan on it" won't work. Never tried such a thing, and the only BSOD I get is a conflict of IE/Flash/Realtek drivers... enough YouTube browsing in the right phase of the moon will BSOD me. Same routine, audio blip, and BSOD 10s later.

I got a Patriot Wildfire 240GB over 4 years ago and it is still kicking. It does not like massive read/writes (such as unpacking/installing Dim Pro), and never did even when I first bought it. I did rebuild this machine from scratch in July 2015, and wiped/formatted it fully before re-install. Firmware updates have a narrow window after the OS is laid down before Patriot's utility can no longer see the drive (issue with Patriot specifically), and I did reload a clone after the rebuild just to test it out (also required a full reformat to execute with Macrium Reflect). Benchmarks has dropped about 10% over time (I do these on initial builds), but that is expected.

I am wondering if cloning could have been an issue as you suggested. I have always used "opportunities" for rebuilds to start from scratch to purge the registry and all associated garbage. Typically data files only will make it back onto the rebuild, since I also worry for "cloning a flaw" for no reason.

Did you clone the SSD to the HDD when you switched back to an HDD?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    pharohoknaughty
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/28 03:10:03 (permalink)
    mettelus

Did you clone the SSD to the HDD when you switched back to an HDD?

Going from scratch.  New MOBO(ASUS Sabertooth Mark 1), Boot drive (WD Blue) and memory. New copy of Windows (this time ver 10).  Going to have a clean registry again.

Man is it a pain to track down all of those licenses and downloads. I have way too many softwares. But it has to happen every couple years, in my experience.

Is your logo an Avanti convertible? Ray Loewy never left well enough alone.

post edited by pharohoknaughty - 2015/11/28 03:24:49
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: SSD Report 500 Gig Boot Drive. Thumbs Up. 2015/11/28 07:56:09 (permalink)
    If you still have the other drives, it might be worth the experiment to make a backup image onto a third drive of the WD Blue once you are up and running, and put that on an SSD with the WD Blue unplugged. If you try that be sure to format both partitions on the SSD first so the restore has no competing files.

Definitely keep a file of the installation procedure, software, serial numbers, the who nine yards.

The car is a '71 mustang. I think it may be the last one made that year as it carries the panels that were more predominant in the '72/'73s, but even contacting Ford didn't yield much.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1