What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"?

Author
AdamGrossmanLG
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1436
2015/11/26 23:46:10 (permalink)

What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"?

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to understand the benefits of synth recording.
Is it any different than bouncing a softsynth down to audio?
What I've always been doing was making my softsynth tracks, and then bouncing them to an audio track once I know it is finished. 
So I don't understand what benefit synth recording has.
If someone can shed some light, I would much appreciate it!
Thank You!

10 Replies Related Threads

mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"? 2015/11/26 23:52:31 (permalink)
    Real time adjustment of the parameters in like a performance mode, versus just automation, which may not be always consistently repeatable in some randomized settings of a synth.  Some live players also get "feedback" off the synth adjustments when performing and it typically might affect [inspire] their playing at the time as well.  IOW, rather than trying to map out parameter changes after the performance, you capture it live.
    post edited by mixmkr - 2015/11/27 00:03:33

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

AdamGrossmanLG
    Re: What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"? 2015/11/27 00:40:22 (permalink)
    mixmkr
    Real time adjustment of the parameters in like a performance mode, versus just automation, which may not be always consistently repeatable in some randomized settings of a synth.  Some live players also get "feedback" off the synth adjustments when performing and it typically might affect [inspire] their playing at the time as well.  IOW, rather than trying to map out parameter changes after the performance, you capture it live.

hmmm, I record softsynths now and map the parameters via ACT and they record just fine, it would have to play back just as good because it is recording my automation, no?

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"? 2015/11/27 00:49:09 (permalink)
    The most obvious one is a synth with multiple unsynced oscillators, like what you can do in Z3TA+2. Even playing the same note repeatedly can yield a changing texture, so if that audio was not captured "live" it may not playback a Xerox copy each time.

That feature is not a must in most situations, but is definitely useful in certain scenarios.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"? 2015/11/27 02:30:29 (permalink)
    I think it's almost the same scenario as with guitarists who want to record monitoring  the final, effected sound, because it affects your playing, how you handle small nuances etc.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"? 2015/11/27 06:10:26 (permalink)
    I wondered at this features usefulness to, but last night I dscovered that Sylenth VST will not bounce under Kingston (even with fast bounce disabled). I was, however, able to play back the midi recording and simultaneously record the output Handy:)

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    AdamGrossmanLG
    Re: What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"? 2015/11/27 09:09:35 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    I think it's almost the same scenario as with guitarists who want to record monitoring  the final, effected sound, because it affects your playing, how you handle small nuances etc.

but why wouldn't those nuances make it to the recorded track and stay there anyway in VST Synth version?  Especially if you have aftertouch enabled?

sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"? 2015/11/27 19:22:40 (permalink)
    I sometimes come across softsynths that have controls which can't be automated or mapped and can only be accessed by clicking on the synth's interface. For instance I sometimes use a Reaktor drum module that has solo/mute buttons for each drum and the only way to control them is by clicking them. Since I can't map them to controls or automate them, now I can just record the synth and click them on/off during recording. 

Sometimes you just want to record a quick performance of a synth's controls with a mouse, without mapping stuff to controllers or opening automation lanes. Now it's so easy to do with synth recording. And it's also quicker than creating automation lanes, exporting the track, dragging the new audio to the track etc....Just hit record, twiddle the controls and you're done. It's a major workflow improvement for me and also encourages me to get synth parts into audio format sooner, as opposed to keeping them as VSTi's with the temptation of endless tweaking and tail-chasing. Because it's so easy to do now I find myself committing to synth parts easier, and of course you can then turn off the synth in the rack and hide the MIDI track. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    Re: What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"? 2015/11/27 20:23:40 (permalink)
    it comes in handy when working with synths such as z3ta+, dimension pro and rapture that internally allow you to configure random generators to be used as controllers but offer no outlet for that random sequence to be recorded. therefore, each time you bounce to track or freeze you can get a different performance.   
    AdamGrossmanLG
    Re: What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"? 2015/11/27 20:35:56 (permalink)
    rabeach
    it comes in handy when working with synths such as z3ta+, dimension pro and rapture that internally allow you to configure random generators to be used as controllers but offer no outlet for that random sequence to be recorded. therefore, each time you bounce to track or freeze you can get a different performance.   

so then who says the first take is the best take?  it might limit you from trying a new random pattern?
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: What Is The Point Of "Synth Recording"? 2015/11/27 22:58:56 (permalink)
    SilverBlueMedallion
    rabeach

so then who says the first take is the best take?  it might limit you from trying a new random pattern?

then there's comping too!

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1