Helpful ReplyUsing NI Maschine and SOnar together or....

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rchristiejr
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1342
2015/01/08 08:38:36 (permalink)

Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or....

For the more experienced users, can Sonar do what NI's Maschine does? Or has anyone used them together?
My daughter just received Maschine and it looked and worked really nice and fast. So I wondered if I should purchase it or just use X3 along with my akai 49 key controller

RFC JR
Pure Desires~~

DJ Darkside
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 565
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/01/08 08:49:31 (permalink)
Sonar can do anything you want, it just depends on your knowledge of the application. Maschine is great to use as it is easy to work with and the work flow is great. I use it on every track just about. Sometimes I use Sonars step sequencer with Session Drummer and get great results. Just depends on your preference....

But you can sample, loop, edit, crop, fade in, fade out, delete, create drum loops, record midi loops, mix, master, etc... all in Sonar.

Just get to know the app well and you can do almost anything.

Mark Liebrand
DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
www.djdarkside.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Running: Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live, Novation Impulse, Native Instruments Maschine, a few mics, 1963 Fender Strat, a Fender Jazz Bass and some secret weapons... EQ and Compression.
rchristiejr
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1342
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/01/08 08:57:29 (permalink)
Thanks

RFC JR
Pure Desires~~

DJ Darkside
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 565
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/01/08 09:20:52 (permalink)
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away...

Mark Liebrand
DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
www.djdarkside.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Running: Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live, Novation Impulse, Native Instruments Maschine, a few mics, 1963 Fender Strat, a Fender Jazz Bass and some secret weapons... EQ and Compression.
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/01/08 14:17:03 (permalink)
Compared to keyboard controllers, playing drums on Maschine's pads is a real treat, much easier, and quite fun (very responsive). You can also play/record (via the pads) everything that's included in Komplete.  

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
djjhart@aol.com
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2189
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/01/08 14:26:21 (permalink)
Ni Machine is real nice I own one, Its a great toy . Is it a must have , NOPE ...nice to own one but sonar can do everything it can do, if your using it in a studio situation, where it excels is when you start using it live. Triggering samples , and patterns using the pads to play very nice .
I just picked up the s49 komplete Kontrol with ultimate 10 upgrade. Now that I love in my studio light guide is siick, chord mode arp mode all nuts.. although the new Machine update includes these features too. So that might make a difference for you. light guide I like alot very innovative ..

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
 http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
 http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/01/08 14:37:07 (permalink)
From what I understand you can do quite a bit of pattern sequencing in Maschine, which does create some overlap with a DAW like SONAR. I wonder if there's easy ways to transfer that work into SONAR at some point in the process, so that Maschine can still exist as something more than just a pad controller (which it also obviously is). 

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
wetdentist
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1129
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/01/09 07:03:31 (permalink)
now that i've had Maschine for 4 years or so, i would not want to go back to using my m-audio keystation as my "drum" pads.  i pretty much begin all my projects in Maschine to let Maschine do what Maschine does best: program & sequence drums (and sometimes soft synths), and then i will eventually bounce all the tracks into Sonar & let Sonar do what Sonar does best

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
my new sounds: The Das Kaput

KeyloidX2
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/11/03 00:58:39 (permalink)
I use Maschine as a MIDI controller in Sonar - however the pads are not as responsive when running Sonar as opposed to running stand-alone - any ideas why this might be and how to resolve please?
Fabio Rubato
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 500
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/11/03 02:13:53 (permalink)
sorry mispost
post edited by Fabio Rubato - 2015/11/03 02:25:09

Sonar: Platinum, (X3e) - x64 
PC: Win10 Pro 64;
Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
Visual Card: Gigabyte GTX 580;
Audio Interface: RME UFX;
Monitors: Adam A77X, Sub8;
Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 
Other Hardware: Joe Meek Twin Q Dual Studio Channel;
Mics: RODE NT2-A, ASTON Spirit 

Latest Song: Lay Down Before the War

sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/11/03 02:30:19 (permalink)
I've never used Maschine but I use Geist a lot and I should imagine that some aspects of it are similar, e.g. getting used to the workflow of moving back and forward between two timelines. I use the Song Mode in Geist to arrange patterns, but I also have MIDI and audio tracks in Sonar because I can't do everything in Geist, and sometimes it's a little confusing because I basically have my song arrangement split into two places. And this creates problems when, for example, I want to insert some measures in the Sonar timeline. Immediately, my Geist timeline is out of sync because the Geist does not update in reaction to me inserting measures in Sonar. So I have to take all of my Geist patterns and shift them the appropriate number of measures in the Geist timeline. I've never worked with Maschine but I'm sure there are similar annoyances that you have to get used to. 

But you develop a workflow of sorts, which for me involves using Geist to arrange sequences and then bouncing them to audio in Sonar. Sometimes I don't really try and arrange my song in Geist, I just use Geist as a tool to experiment with and create sequences which I eventually bring into Sonar. 

But as others will tell you, the actually hardware of Maschine is very good quality and it's a pleasure to bang on those pads. I've only done so in a store, but it did make me want to buy one. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
SGodfrey
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 268
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/11/03 05:43:36 (permalink)
I am a relatively recent owner of a Maschine Mikro - I bought it secondhand and cheap because I wasn't sure it would be for me, but I'm very pleased with it.  The workflow is very quick and this is crucial because it means you can get your ideas out of your head and recorded before they disappear.  I have found I am more creative.

Next step for me (as others have already said above) is to export to Sonar so that I can refine, polish, mix and master.  I haven't done this yet and ideally would prefer to get the midi (including any automation) across as well as audio.  Don't know if this is possible though.  Does anyone do this?

Sonar Platinum x64
Cakewalk UA-25EX
Asus X556UA-DM898T i7-7500U 8GB 1TB, Windows 10 Home
Komplete 11 Ultimate, Kontrol S49, Maschine Jam, Mikro mk2, Arturia V Collection 4
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/11/03 05:52:48 (permalink)
To OP

Get your daughter to read the getting started guide and then the manual with it it. Get her to master it. Aftet that you/she will be able to see how Sonar can benefit here.

@Keyloid if you start your own thread discussion rather than piggy back, happy to respond. As you can see everybody here is addressing the OP (his thread) and it gets confusing otherwise.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/11/03 06:05:50

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Ripwolf
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 162
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/11/03 09:42:59 (permalink)
I have the Maschine Mikro and I find it's a really good way to get an idea going. You can also set it up to use a keyboard controller to play/record parts that would be less intuitive with the pads. The browser is great for checking out the Komplete library and you can load up your other vst's in the user section. The hardware is solid. Not a power user with it, but the more I delve into it the more I'm able to do. You can do everything in Sonar. I agree it does depend on your workflow and what your trying to accomplish. 
SGodfrey

Next step for me (as others have already said above) is to export to Sonar so that I can refine, polish, mix and master.  I haven't done this yet and ideally would prefer to get the midi (including any automation) across as well as audio.  Don't know if this is possible though.  Does anyone do this?

I haven't tried recording the midi so I'm not sure about that, but you can do automation in Maschine and record the audio into Sonar.

ripwagner.com.
Sonar Platinum Lifetime.Windows 10 64-bit,AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 8400, 2 monitors, Focusrite 2i4, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Console 1 mkII, Maschine Mikro MK2, Maschine Jam,, Komplete Kontroll S 25, Akai Advance 49,  Casio Privia PX-150, Mackie 1202, Line 6 POD, Vox Tonelab le, Komplete 10 Ultimate, East/West Composer cloud . Ez Drummer 2 and Superior Drummer 3, Assorted collection of acoustic, electric guitars and basses and amps.

steve pabst
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/11/30 17:04:59 (permalink)
ok ...someone PLEASE set me straight on this one ....I am using Sonar X1, and NI Maschine (First version) I am also using a focusrite saffire 01 audio interface. we all know that the Maschine has no audio outs, everything runs via a fire wire cable directly to my computer ....I can load the Maschine as a VST and I have also loaded it as an ACT controller.....when i insert softsynth, VST32 i see Maschine, I hit it and it loads perfectly ...I have complete control of the Maschine on screen as a track in sonar x1...I can hit the pads, I can see the midi signals perfectly ...excelenyt response...I mean everything is lightning fast and crystal clear.....BUT......(It can never be easy) 1....Sonar does not recognize the NI Maschine as an audio device, so how in the hell do I record its output?....2 when I arm the track for record i get INSTANT heavy latency ...I can literally hit a pad on the machine while the track is armed for record and the sound that its supposed to play (Say a snare drum) doesnt actually sound for (Im not joking 15-12 seconds after striking the pad) ....I unarm the track and its back to perfect again...so whats up with that?......I want to use my Machine as a MIDI drum machine, as if it is just another instrument in my rack that I can call up from my master keyboard ....why in the heck does Native Instruments have to make things so freaking complicated....why cant their stuff just play nice with everything else .....I was planning on buying the whole Komplete system, but if this Machine is any indication as to how many rings of fire i will have to jump through to get it to work , I aint gonna touch it with a 10 foot pole ....I am a sonar/IBM guy and no, im not going to buy a 5000 dollar mac just to run it ..(Plus all the other software) I have way too much invested in my current system...I need this Maschine to work....any suggestions?

another odd thing ...when I play the VST through sonar , I can see the audio coming out of the focusrite main outs, but for some reason the audio signals are invisible to Sonar ..why is this?...I cant record the Machine on an audio track in sonar ...whats up with that ?

I have googled the creap out of this subject, I have scoured Youtube....nothing usefull.....some talk about it, but nobody ever goes into any real detail 
steve pabst
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/11/30 17:24:37 (permalink)
No...I dont want to "Export audio from the Maschine into Sonar...I want Maschine to slave to sonar so when i hit the play button in sonar the machine chases just like any other midi machine in my system ...

rivers88
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 328
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/11/30 17:35:21 (permalink)
@steve pabst -

I'm just getting ready to take the Maschine plunge myself, but I'll offer what I can.

Maschine is not an audio interface, so it's not going to show up as an audio device in Sonar.
It's a MIDI controller that works over USB.

Any Maschine audio is going to have to come out of & into the Maschine software VSTi.
It sounds like you might have a MIDI and/or audio routing issue ~

Make sure your Saffire is routed correctly for DAW use with the MixControl app.
Try disabling the Maschine controller as an ACT control surface, and use it strictly as a dedicated controller for the Maschine software, and see if that makes a difference with the latency.

You'll probably need to spend some time with the Maschine manual ~
Maschine has so many features it can be a bit intimidating!

Keep in mind that Sonar has changed considerably since X1, and the Maschine software is up to version 2.4;
so, the versions of software you're running might not be as cooperative as the current versions.

Also, FWIW, Groove 3 has their videos on special through midnight tonight - 
and they do have Maschine tutorials (heading to their site shortly...)

Hangdog Cat
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/11/30 17:57:41 (permalink)
I had that extreme latency issue with Machine, and iirc it went away after I uninstalled/reinstalled the driver.

Never do more in the morning than you can undo in the afternoon.

Computer: Creation Station CS450 V3 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
Windows 10: Latest update
Audio Interface: RME Fireface UFX
twisted6s
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2001
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/12/01 09:16:22 (permalink)
I use Maschine 2.4 as a vst in Sonar. Sonar is the midi sequencer, Maschine is acting as a multitimbral synth. I'm able to use the Maschine drum pad or my midi keyboard to trigger drums and/or synths in Maschine and record the midi in Sonar.

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2015/12/01 09:29:04 (permalink)
Maschine sequencer software was a huge disappointment to me,and yes I read the manuals top to bottom. The main problem is patterns always loop on scenes regardless of their size. There are also about 5 really annoyong bugs (would not be hard or take long for NI to fix). e.g. If you use multiple hardware midi outs in windows only, the sequencer breaks. NI ignores their customers here and do not communicate. Consequently I use Geist.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/12/01 09:41:50

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
samson7842
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2016/01/30 23:46:41 (permalink)
twisted6s
I use Maschine 2.4 as a vst in Sonar. Sonar is the midi sequencer, Maschine is acting as a multitimbral synth. I'm able to use the Maschine drum pad or my midi keyboard to trigger drums and/or synths in Maschine and record the midi in Sonar.

Can you tell me how you've set this up? I can't seem to get my Maschine set up. That way at all. I've poured over the manual, googled it and I'm just figuring it out. The pads aren't sending MIDI. I get no indication that Sonar is receiving MIDI notes from the pads.

Hopefully, you or someone else here can guide me.

Thanks.
post edited by samson7842 - 2016/01/31 00:12:41

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
Dell XPS 8700
i7-4770 3.9 GHz
24 GB Dual Channel DDR3 160MHZ 4DIMMs
Windows 10 64bit
Cakewalk (CxB)
Sonar Platinum
Studio One 4
Komplete 9 Ultimate
Maschine 2.7 MK3
Edirol PCR 500
Roland A-300 Pro 
Steinberg Virtual Guitarist 2
Virtual Guitarist Silk
Virtual Guitarist Amber
Virtual Guitarist Iron
Steinberg UR22
Waves Gold
Melodyne 4 Studio
Various other fiddly bits
Bigdogs
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 378
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2016/01/31 07:13:40 (permalink)
When you're using the Mikro to run the VST Maschine inside SONAR, the controller works pretty much like it does in standalone except SONAR controls transport, tempo. This doesn't appear to involve MIDI (the MIDI Input/Output activity indicator shows nothing). If you want to use the controller as a MIDI instrument you need to press Shift-F1

Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Windows 10 64 bit, i5 4670K Haswell Processor,  4.2GHz, 8Gb RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, AMD Radeon R7 260X, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk     
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2016/01/31 08:04:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rivers88 2016/01/31 12:53:07
If you want to use Maschine 2 with the controller to browse sounds etc but record linearly in Sonar, there are a few things you need to do.

First, just because it makes things a bit more intuitive, add an instance of Maschine to your project using a separate audio and midi track, so NOT the "simple instrument track". So choose midi source and first synth audio output.

Now use your controller or the plugin window to browse and load a kit, just so it's easy to see/hear if it's working.

Now, on the top half of the plugin window, it shows "new project" and under that the name of your kit, right click the kit name and choose Group Midi Batch Setup/Sounds to Midi Notes.

Now, under there, make sure "group" is selected and select the dial icon that will let you setup input and output modes. Under "input", set midi as "active" and channel to 1 (or to whatever channel you want to use for this group, you can set other channels for other groups). Make sure "thru" is off. Now, if you have a keyboard hooked up, you can already use the keyboard to trigger Maschine sounds and record in Sonar that way. But we want to use the Maschine controller so bear with me.

First, still in the group midi input parameters, set the root note to C3.

Now select all your pads (click the first one in the plugin, scroll down and shift-click the last one) and switch to the "sound" parameters, again choosing the dial to setup input and output parameters. In the input section, midi source should be "default", channel 1 and Thru off. In the output section, destination should be Host and channel 1.

On your Sonar midi track, make sure it is set to output to Maschine and channel 1 (you may need to change the view from custom to all to specify channels). In the input section you can choose either Maschine or all/omni if you want to also use a keyboard or external controller. Now you can arm the midi track and record the way you're used to in Sonar, utilizing the Maschine controller and e.g. its Note Repeat function.
post edited by Sanderxpander - 2016/01/31 12:25:37
JoeHans
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2016/01/31 12:23:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rivers88 2016/01/31 12:53:01
I use Maschine all the time inside Sonar. It's really easy to setup:

1) Insert Maschine to Sonar and make sure "Enable MIDI output is enabled

2) Check Maschine plugin and enable MIDI out to host

And you're setup!

Just make sure to use the Maschine plugin as the input for your MIDI tracks. Some times I have the physical Maschine itself selected and takes me a moment to understand I have the wrong device for input.

Sonar Platinum running on: Intel i7-2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, Kingston V300 SSD 240GB + OCZ 60GB SSD + Samsung 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram, E-MU 0404 USB
rivers88
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 328
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2016/01/31 12:39:49 (permalink)
Thanks for posting these Sonar / Maschine tips guys - 
I just took the Maschine plunge myself over the holidays, so this is going to be VERY helpful!! 
Sanderxpander
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2016/01/31 13:21:39 (permalink)
JoeHans, while this will record pad hits into Sonar, they won't play back correctly without the steps I outlined above. 
JoeHans
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2016/01/31 14:41:59 (permalink)
I have no problems with playback so not sure what do you mean by that. Of course the method doesn't utilize the sound browsing features in Maschine but still lets me use note repeat, scales etc and is really dead simple to setup. I like to keep all the MIDI and VSTs inside Sonar so that doesn't bother me so much. I'll need to look into your method in case I could improve my way of using Maschine with Sonar.

Sonar Platinum running on: Intel i7-2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, Kingston V300 SSD 240GB + OCZ 60GB SSD + Samsung 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram, E-MU 0404 USB
Sanderxpander
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2016/01/31 16:30:11 (permalink)
If I set it up the way you do, on playback all notes trigger the same pad/sound. At a bare minimum you would have to configure the group to map pads to midi notes I think. And how do you mean it doesn't use the sound browsing features? Are you switching Maschine to midi control mode?
samson7842
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2016/01/31 19:00:34 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
If you want to use Maschine 2 with the controller to browse sounds etc but record linearly in Sonar, there are a few things you need to do.

First, just because it makes things a bit more intuitive, add an instance of Maschine to your project using a separate audio and midi track, so NOT the "simple instrument track". So choose midi source and first synth audio output.

Now use your controller or the plugin window to browse and load a kit, just so it's easy to see/hear if it's working.

Now, on the top half of the plugin window, it shows "new project" and under that the name of your kit, right click the kit name and choose Group Midi Batch Setup/Sounds to Midi Notes.

Now, under there, make sure "group" is selected and select the dial icon that will let you setup input and output modes. Under "input", set midi as "active" and channel to 1 (or to whatever channel you want to use for this group, you can set other channels for other groups). Make sure "thru" is off. Now, if you have a keyboard hooked up, you can already use the keyboard to trigger Maschine sounds and record in Sonar that way. But we want to use the Maschine controller so bear with me.

First, still in the group midi input parameters, set the root note to C3.

Now select all your pads (click the first one in the plugin, scroll down and shift-click the last one) and switch to the "sound" parameters, again choosing the dial to setup input and output parameters. In the input section, midi source should be "default", channel 1 and Thru off. In the output section, destination should be Host and channel 1.

On your Sonar midi track, make sure it is set to output to Maschine and channel 1 (you may need to change the view from custom to all to specify channels). In the input section you can choose either Maschine or all/omni if you want to also use a keyboard or external controller. Now you can arm the midi track and record the way you're used to in Sonar, utilizing the Maschine controller and e.g. its Note Repeat function.

This did the trick for me, thanks! I actually think I had it right last night. But, the indicator meter on the MIDI track doesn't light up. So, unless you're actually recording, you don't know if Sonar is receiving MIDI from the Maschine or not. I never tried to record anything last night because the MIDI signals weren't showing up on the meter. Doh! I should have tried to record something. It never occurred to me that the notes could have been transmitting but just not registering on the MIDI track's meter in Sonar.

Why do you guys think NI made this simple function so cumbersome on Maschine? This is basic stuff here. Or, am I missing something?

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
Dell XPS 8700
i7-4770 3.9 GHz
24 GB Dual Channel DDR3 160MHZ 4DIMMs
Windows 10 64bit
Cakewalk (CxB)
Sonar Platinum
Studio One 4
Komplete 9 Ultimate
Maschine 2.7 MK3
Edirol PCR 500
Roland A-300 Pro 
Steinberg Virtual Guitarist 2
Virtual Guitarist Silk
Virtual Guitarist Amber
Virtual Guitarist Iron
Steinberg UR22
Waves Gold
Melodyne 4 Studio
Various other fiddly bits
JoeHans
Re: Using NI Maschine and SOnar together or.... 2016/02/01 01:12:56 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
If I set it up the way you do, on playback all notes trigger the same pad/sound. At a bare minimum you would have to configure the group to map pads to midi notes I think. And how do you mean it doesn't use the sound browsing features? Are you switching Maschine to midi control mode?

I don't use the midi control mode at all. I usually work with keyboard mode so no need for mapping things in that case. This way Maschine works like a keyboard and lets me play scales, arpeggios etc with the pads. If I use the browsing features all the plug-ins are loaded into Maschine software instead of Sonar. One way to use it of course would be to setup multi outs and route everything from Maschine groups to different channels in Sonar. This way it wouldn't matter even all the VSTs are in Maschine software.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1