Helpful ReplyIK - New Mic Room Software

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/11/26 22:06:41 (permalink)
I  have enough Jampoints for that too...
Have considered it...but have to wait to
see what FF does for BF....and is a BMF besides...

Richard Cranium
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 474
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/11/27 18:46:53 (permalink)
I might give this a whirl, only 70 bucks so whatever, it's the only T Racks I don't have, not that I use them, only the master eq every now and zenn. Was looking at the one CC mentioned as well, the Antares Mic Modeler, but it seems it's iLok so I'm out.

Studio One 3 Rocks The House, Frequently Voted Best DAW 2015 !!
Richard Cranium
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/11/29 08:31:13 (permalink)
This little contraption is actually quite nice, I think it's a we bit above 'snake oil', and regardless of what it is or is supposed to be, it's something that I can just slap on a vocal track with minimal fuss and it just makes it sound better, admittedly I can make my vocals sound better just by hitting the mute button . . . but I like what ever it is that this does. I only have dirty old Shure SM58's and 57's, probably should splash out and try other better mic's, but I have never really got the urge.

Another benefit I got from using this is that I revisited some other T Racks stuff, and made myself a nice little vocal chain which works quite well, and different from my usual, and man isn't that Valhalla Plate reverb something else, first chance I've really had to have a good play around with it, really nice.

All in all a thumbs up to this little piece of gear, very nice, and a good price to boot.

cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/11/29 09:13:51 (permalink)
It's on my list...I need all the help I can get and I have enough
jampoints to make it really cheap...just seeing how this
weekend shakes out...

JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/11/29 10:32:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2015/11/29 12:03:37

I got it.  Had 35 remaining gear credits, so paid $35 for it.

Looks interesting, and I think it'll be a useful tool.  Do I expect it to be able to turn a Shure 57 into a Neumann 87?

Well, of course I do -- it says so right in the ad!

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Richard Cranium
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/11/30 01:47:08 (permalink)
lol, regardless of whether or not it can or can't turn something into something else, whatever it is it does is quite noticeable, it's not like something you have to strain your ears to hear and in the end wonder if you are just imagining it or not, and what it does, or can do, is quite useful/usable and beneficial, when I turn it on, it just sounds better than with it off.

Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/11/30 07:52:42 (permalink)
I got the Antares Mic Modeler about 12 years ago - I stopped using the Antares Mic Modeler about 12 years ago........
Nigel

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/11/30 18:38:55 (permalink)

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

tom1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/11/30 19:16:06 (permalink)
I hope they come out with one that will turn my Neumann U87 into a Shure 58.

Can't wait for that one.

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
East West:
Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/11/30 19:29:35 (permalink)
I think it looks good but I really cannot hear any difference between the audio samples... to me they all sound the same. It is probably my old ears.

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Richard Cranium
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/01 02:35:55 (permalink)
If you are just listening to samples on the net, try the real thing, you should have no problem noticing the difference.

IK_Multimedia
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/01 10:39:03 (permalink)
tom1

Can't wait for that one.

You can do this with Mic Room now... Get that Bono/Michael Jackson vibe (Talent Not Included™), instead of using that silly expensive microphone! :)
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/01 10:51:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Soundwise 2015/12/02 05:54:06
tom1

Can't wait for that one.

Well, you don't need a mic modeler for that.  Wrap the 87 with a couple of thick towels.  Voila! Shure 58.  Remove one of the towels -- Shure 58 Beta!

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/01 11:07:54 (permalink)
I think we have to approach these mic modelers this way..

they will not magically make our  Eye Rig Mic or Sm 58  respond like a 5000 dollar Neuman, but what they will do is impart color and change the characteristics of the sound, either in a good way or bad.. so we as musos and producers are always looking for that unique or different "sound",
anyway thats how i will use the plug in ..

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Richard Cranium
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/01 11:17:11 (permalink)
Yeah, to me it's just like any other plug that you use to enhance the sound and leave it sounding better than before, makes no difference to me if it is, or they call it a 'mic modeler' they could call it a 'dead twig modeler' for all I care, as long as it leaves things in a better shape than before. I like it anyway.

Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/01 13:42:26 (permalink)
Richard Cranium
Yeah, to me it's just like any other plug that you use to enhance the sound and leave it sounding better than before, makes no difference to me if it is, or they call it a 'mic modeler' they could call it a 'dead twig modeler' for all I care, as long as it leaves things in a better shape than before. I like it anyway.

Ahhh but Monsour Head, one mans good or better  is another mans krap or sounds like arse...

music is in the ear of the beholder...

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Richard Cranium
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/02 03:32:18 (permalink)
indeed, and I would never assume otherwise (nor do I think I said contrary). . . except for maybe country music and the majority of EDM, that's just straight out wrong j/k

If I like something I will say it, if I don't I will say it, not that it means anything to anyone but myself, because in the end it doesn't really matter what others think, but I like to at least try things out to see if I like them, or like what they do before passing judgement on them.
post edited by Richard Cranium - 2015/12/02 03:50:01

Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/02 05:43:38 (permalink)
JonD
tom1

Can't wait for that one.

Well, you don't need a mic modeler for that.  Wrap the 87 with a couple of thick towels.  Voila! Shure 58.  Remove one of the towels -- Shure 58 Beta!

That was funny )
streckfus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 339
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/10 13:47:05 (permalink)
Saw this in an email push from IK a few weeks ago, looks sorta interesting.  Although I gotta wonder how "practical" the modeling is considering - as far as I can tell - the source mic options are the same as the target mic options.  Which is to say that you may end up with realistic mic modeling if you record on a coveted $5000 microphone then re-mic it to a different coveted $5000 microphone.  But when your vocal track was recorded with an AT2035 (or any other bargain-priced mic many home studio users actually own) and that particular mic isn't available as a source in the software, well, it's not exactly doing a realistic emulation.  I understand why the software would ask for a source mic (just like how their ARC 2 software creates a target curve based upon real-life content recorded in your room) in order to apply the appropriate effects to emulate a different mic, but seems counter-intuitive to only include high-end mics as available sources.  If people actually own a TLM103 or U87 or whatever, they're probably just going to record with them to begin with. :)

Not saying that the software couldn't improve upon a vocal track, because like any other plug-in, I'm sure it can add a desirable vibe with some tweaking, and it is a fun concept.  Just don't see it as being as practical as an amp modeler, which of course works because it's taking a dry signal and running it through a virtual amp, as opposed to taking a processed signal, trying to undo that processing then add a different flavor to it.  To me, the mic modeling approach seems to be the amp modeler equivalent of recording a Les Paul through a Marshall, then taking that signal and trying to run it through a Fender virtual amp.  Not gonna sound like a Fender. :)

Sonar Platinum | Win 10 Pro/64-bit | Core i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 2400 RAM | ASUS Z170-AR | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS8s
IK_Multimedia
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/10 15:29:03 (permalink)
streckfus
Saw this in an email push from IK a few weeks ago, looks sorta interesting.  Although I gotta wonder how "practical" the modeling is considering - as far as I can tell - the source mic options are the same as the target mic options.  Which is to say that you may end up with realistic mic modeling if you record on a coveted $5000 microphone then re-mic it to a different coveted $5000 microphone.  But when your vocal track was recorded with an AT2035 (or any other bargain-priced mic many home studio users actually own) and that particular mic isn't available as a source in the software, well, it's not exactly doing a realistic emulation.  I understand why the software would ask for a source mic (just like how their ARC 2 software creates a target curve based upon real-life content recorded in your room) in order to apply the appropriate effects to emulate a different mic, but seems counter-intuitive to only include high-end mics as available sources.  If people actually own a TLM103 or U87 or whatever, they're probably just going to record with them to begin with. :)

Not saying that the software couldn't improve upon a vocal track, because like any other plug-in, I'm sure it can add a desirable vibe with some tweaking, and it is a fun concept.  Just don't see it as being as practical as an amp modeler, which of course works because it's taking a dry signal and running it through a virtual amp, as opposed to taking a processed signal, trying to undo that processing then add a different flavor to it.  To me, the mic modeling approach seems to be the amp modeler equivalent of recording a Les Paul through a Marshall, then taking that signal and trying to run it through a Fender virtual amp.  Not gonna sound like a Fender. :)

The use case you mention is far from the norm/expected.  I would venture a guess that many have an SM57 or SM58 since they are budget studio mics and known workhorses.  Also, our mics are far from $5000 mics too, and since we are obviously very knowledgeable about their characteristics we can provide excellent results from a budget mic.  The budget mics that are available as source are far more likely the typical use case than someone using a U87 as source for the U67 model, etc.

Why include these expensive mics as source, then, you might ask?  Because we have them, we modeled them, and that made it reasonable to allow them to be used as source.  Or, the short version:  "Why not??"  :)
post edited by IK_Multimedia - 2015/12/10 15:41:36
streckfus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 339
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/10 15:43:23 (permalink)
IK_Multimedia
streckfus

The use case you mention is far from the norm/expected.  I would venture a guess that many have an SM57 or SM58 since they are budget studio mics and known workhorses.  Also, our mics are far from $5000 mics too, and since we are obviously very knowledgeable about their characteristics we can provide excellent results from a budget mic.  The budget mics that are available as source are far more likely the typical use case than someone using a U87 as source for the U67 model, etc.

Why include these expensive mics as source, then, you might ask?  Because we have them, we modeled them, and that made it reasonable to allow them to be used as source.  Or, the short version:  "Why not??"  :)

Yep, I certainly understand the reasoning for including those coveted mics as source mics since you've already emulated them. And of course SM57-58 mics are very common and much more likely to be found in a project studio than a Neumann.  I guess what I was getting at was, at least from a vocal standpoint, in many cases a large diaphragm condenser mic is used, and because there are a lot of low-budget condensers in use, including them as source options would've made sense.  It's obviously cost prohibitive to emulate every single microphone out there so it's unreasonable to expect a source list to have hundreds of options, but there are several popular, inexpensive condenser mics (offerings by Audio Technica, Rode, etc.) that might've been included.

It's not my intent to bash the product because I do think it's a neat idea and could provide some cool results regardless of what's selected as source/target mics, but for a "true" emulation, I'd think the source mic category would have more budget-conscious options, since the users who have those cheaper mics are the ones most likely to use this type of software.  The big boys will just buy a Neumann. :)

Sonar Platinum | Win 10 Pro/64-bit | Core i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 2400 RAM | ASUS Z170-AR | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS8s
BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/11 09:22:29 (permalink)
Richard has made the best case for or against so it goes on my list. I have some cheaper mics that could use a goose from IK.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/11 10:40:16 (permalink)
Liking this too. But also looking out for Slate's take on this, coming out next month or so.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
Richard Cranium
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/11 21:42:28 (permalink)
BassDaddy
Richard has made the best case for or against so it goes on my list. I have some cheaper mics that could use a goose from IK.

Why I have a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart now . . . wait a minute . . . I was pretty sure I didn't have a heart, well what do you know

I use this every time now, as it is just better with it than without, sure I may be able to achieve something similarly desirable with a few other plugs chained together, but this is quick, easy and convenient. Glad I tried and purchased it. 

BassDaddy
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/12 09:41:58 (permalink)
Sounds like a good thing to build a few Sonar FX chains with. If things had to sound exactly like what they are supposed to you need to get rid of your Rhoads and Whurlys your Univibe pedal, and your Mellotron and Farfisa and every beat machine ever made.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
Fleer
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/12 10:24:26 (permalink)
Reminds me ... gotta get rid of those roaches. Shreddies just ain't what they were.

BassDaddy
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/12 17:15:37 (permalink)
Fleer
Reminds me ... gotta get rid of those roaches. Shreddies just ain't what they were.

??? You need your shreddies to protect you from bugs? I hope Mesh shows up to explain this to me.
?
 ?
  ?
   ?

It's Bass, not Bass.
BassDaddy
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/12 17:16:01 (permalink)
                      ?

It's Bass, not Bass.
Fleer
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/12 21:32:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BassDaddy 2015/12/13 10:23:35
!

IK_Multimedia
Re: IK - New Mic Room Software 2015/12/23 19:53:49 (permalink)
For those interested, we added a new video: 
Matty Amendola Prepping the Mix with Mic Room for T-RackS

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1