Helpful ReplyHelp me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins...

Author
Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
2015/11/30 12:18:10 (permalink)

Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins...

Ok i use to just compose,  send in stems and someone else would mix my music.  But times have changed.  Now I have to mix my music because most of it is for music libraries now days and to be honest,  I have not paid attention to the mixing side of things for many years.  It's a new thing for me.

So I have one music library client that says, "your music is fine, your mixes are weak.  You need to get Waves Plugins and mix with those".  He rejects about 50% of what I send to him because he can hear that I'm not using Wave.  And i have to admit, the tracks he produces sound great.

So are Wave plugins that good, or are my mixing skills the weak link?  I just bought the Gold Bundle from Sweetwater 'cause they are dirt cheap right now,  but I'm afraid it's not the tools it's the operator and my mixes are not going to improve that much any way.

So is True Verb and the Waves compressors better than Breverb and Sonar's compressors?   i really like the concrete limiter.

And why does it take so long to scan Wave plugins??

Cakewalk By Bandlab
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
Behringer FCA 1616
Sweetwater Creation Station

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/11/30 12:33:17 (permalink)
Your client is wrong...

Not to make you feel bad, but it isn't the plugins. It is learning how to use them that makes the difference. Waves plugins, though great, are not magical. I have them and, for the most part, can reproduce my results using Sonar's tools. The "for the most part" aspect are the things that certain Waves plugins bring that are not in Sonar's tools, like emulations of certain hardware.

Mixing is a skill like any other and takes time and practice to learn. Be patient with yourself. You should avail yourself of the Techniques and Songs forum to get advice and help for your own mixes.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
stlstudio
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/11/30 12:38:56 (permalink)
I have all the waves plugins. many of them have "a sound" particularly the analog emulations. they are great tools but you have to know the fundamentals of mixing or it won't matter what plugins you use. it's like driving a car, once you know how to drive, you can drive any car. so it goes with plugins.

Record, Edit, Mix, Master, Deliver.
Simplicity is Genius. The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same.
digimidi
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 496
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/11/30 12:45:16 (permalink)
Jimbo,

I've got about 25 or so Waves plugins as well as plugins from Eventide, Melda Productions and others.  Waves have always been stable for me.  Honestly, I've only been able to buy them when they were on sale, so with the Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc. sales, I have been slowly building them up over time.  Sometimes they are on sale for as low as $29 as well as offering a some of freebies for promotional purposes.  I just picked up Trueverb this weekend as a free plug.

Now, as far as them being better than other plugins, including those offered by Cakewalk contained within the DAW, it is my opinion that they are not significantly better than what comes with Sonar.  Waves plugins certainly are equal to or might exceed Sonar's somewhat since they are a dedicated company that specializes in audio plugins and that's what they do.  They do provide more variety of plugs overall if you're looking for certain plugins that Sonar doesn't offer, even though Sonar offers a lot.  So, in brief, I do not believe that having Waves plugins are going to make or break your mixes.  Plugins from other companies, such as Izotope, ToonTrack, etc. will also serve you and get the job done.  

It sounds like the client wants you to process your audio at certain steps or levels in your mixes, either to fatten up, brighten, compress, etc. tracks or final mixes, including "mastering" before you send it out. You indicated that you have not been mixing very much until lately.  Perhaps some folks here on the forum can help you with that.  Either way, you got the most important part down: the Music!  You just need some help with mixing I'm guessing.

Regards

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left... 
http://daveowenmusic.com/
http://fabulous52s.com/
https://soundcloud.com/daveowenmusic

Sonar Platinum Edition/Cakewalk by BandLab: Dell 8700 XPS i7 16GB RAM, Cyberpower laptop w/8GB RAM/i7/2GB NVidia card/Tascam US1641/Focusrite 18i6/Melodyne Studio 4/Waves Plugs (a lot)/Garritan/EWQL Symphony Silver & Fab 4 and a bunch of other stuff. Studio One 3/Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite/Mixcraft 8 Pro/Reaper/Acid Pro 8
KingsMix
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/11/30 12:49:20 (permalink)
Jimbo 88

So are Wave plugins that good, or are my mixing skills the weak link?  I just bought the Gold Bundle from Sweetwater 'cause they are dirt cheap right now,  but I'm afraid it's not the tools it's the operator and my mixes are not going to improve that much any way.

So is True Verb and the Waves compressors better than Breverb and Sonar's compressors?   i really like the concrete limiter.

I think you answered the first part of your question on your own.

I wouldn't say that your mixing skills are the "weak link" (because I don't know you or your mixing skills, work etc.)  but i would definitely say that the waves bundle is not the "missing link" (nothing against waves). A skilled engineer can make a good mix with the plugins that you already have.
As far as True Verb being "better" than Breverb, it's a matter of taste and skill. I have used both on professional mixes, and no one has ever complained about or even cared about what reverb or comps i used, they were just interested in if it was a good overall mix or not.
Work on the mixing part. Now that you have the Gold Bundle(you bought it, so enjoy it i.e. no buyers remorse) you can just concentrate on skills.
post edited by KingsMix - 2015/11/30 13:02:38
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/11/30 13:10:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/11/30 14:34:04
It sounds as if this client has heard some good mixes using Waves plug-ins, so they equate a good sound with that kit. This in and of itself shows a lack of mixing knowledge by the client. They help pay the bills I understand, so getting those plug ins can't hurt if there's money to be made, but I don't see where it is absolutely necessary. I own a handful of Waves plug-ins. I haven't been happy with their update policies so I don't look to Waves as my first choice in plugs anymore. The plug-ins aren't really head and shoulders above any others in the same categories, but they are good plug ins. 
I think it would be interesting to make a mix and lead them to think the plugs are Waves, but use other plug ins. I'll bet if you mixed it well they couldn't tell the difference.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/11/30 13:15:15 (permalink)
Starise
It sounds as if this client has heard some good mixes using Waves plug-ins, so they equate a good sound with that kit. 

^^THIS^^
orangesporanges
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/11/30 13:32:59 (permalink)
watch a few videos on mixing / mastering. (You can google them, there are a zillion of them out there) Some are better than others, but most should help familiarize you with the landscape. You will see some common techniques, that should get you started. Waves is just a brand, there are a lot of good plugs out there, and dare I say, the toolkit you get with Sonar should be enough to get you good results when properly applied. Come back and post when you hit snags, and the community will help steer you down the right path. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64bit, 3.4ghz i7CPU,  16gigs RAM, 1x 1TB SSD system drive 1 x 1TB HDD ( audio only)
SimpleM
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 203
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/11/30 14:16:11 (permalink)
Have you asked the client what they are hearing or want to hear different.  Are they not liking the compression, balance, reverb tails, tonality?  The variables in mixing far, far exceed the plugs you use.  Find out what they are specifically wanting to hear. 

The environment you are mixing in can have a ton to do with how someone perceives a mix.  A room properly treated for recording a guitar is not necessarily great for mixing in.  What type of monitors are you mixing on? 

Throwing waves plugs on a mix in and of itself is not what they are missing.  They may think it is, but there is nothing waves can do for a standard mix that can not be done with the tools Cakewalk supplies with Platinum.

Are there particular instruments that they want a certain sound from that a particular waves plug has a signature sound for, possibly, but it has little to do with the mix but much more so the timber or shape of the individual instruyment.  AKA, use a Telecaster there, not a Les Paul kind of thing, but the overall mix, they have no idea what they really need if they think using waves plugs is the magic wand.

I failed to get business from a few clients early on simply because I did not have pro tools.  I gained several of those very clients business in later blind bids based on quality of work and they choosing the sound they wanted.  Once I got to working with them, they were all glad to have been educated as to the fact that pro tools was not a magic wand for professionalism they had been led to believe it was.  As long as the tools used are capable of professional results, it was the professional himself that made the difference.

Sonar and its accompanying plugs are more than capable of professional results.
post edited by SimpleM - 2015/11/30 14:28:08
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/11/30 14:56:04 (permalink)
Someone claims to be able to "hear" you're not using Waves? Wow, they must have the hearing of a cat. Or did they ask you "did you use Waves?" and when you said "no" then announce that you "have to use Waves"?

Seriously... Which Waves plugins can they clearly hear you're not using? I've a bunch of Waves plugins, and the ones I use in Sonar are mostly the effects that either Sonar Plat doesn't have, such as hardware emulation of exciters, specific antique and quirky consoles/eqs or Reel ADT's flanging, and things like the Waves multi-band compressor that can be side-chained per band. Plus a very few I prefer over Cake's offerings, like the Waves NLS. I also use BozDigital, D16, PSP, Melda, Overloud....

I use Waves stuff far more in Logic Pro, but that's because many of the plugins that come with Logic aren't as good as the ones that come with Sonar, in my personal opinion at least, so there are gaps in Logic's plugins which Waves (and other plugin makers) fill.

I would defy anyone to listen to an entire mix and spot that the guitar track has, say Sonar's Quad Curve eq running on it rather than Waves' equivalent plug. Or the mix bus final limiter was Concrete Limiter rather than Waves L2. And for fx plugs there are many companies making stuff that's as good as or better then the Waves equivalent.

Unless you have to supply the entire project in Sonar format so they can see what you used just don't worry about it. By all means get Waves plugs that you think might be useful to do a specific function, but don't get them just because they're "Waves". Work on improving your mixing and if questioned about plugins nod, smile sweetly, enthuse about how AWESOME Waves are and thank them for their advice. Then take their cheque.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Jimbo 88
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/11/30 19:14:14 (permalink)
Thanks everyone for the responses.  i knew this would be a good place to ask this question.

Yes the client does have extraordinary ears.  He composes and mixes also,  just is not capable of all different styles.  He needs/wants the music to be perfectly mixed with every element EQed, balanced and compressed perfectly.  He also wants the music to be as "loud" and as "big" as it can possibly be.  He will send back notes like "Orch Strgs are not compressed well".  I've gotten good at his reverb taste, but compression is not there yet....still trying.  Maybe Waves just has that "compression" sound and feel he is looking for.

Thanks again for the great responses! 

Cakewalk By Bandlab
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Behringer FCA 1616

SimpleM
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 203
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/12/01 00:07:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joel77 2015/12/01 10:55:22
Jimbo 88
Thanks everyone for the responses.  i knew this would be a good place to ask this question.

Yes the client does have extraordinary ears.  He composes and mixes also,  just is not capable of all different styles.  He needs/wants the music to be perfectly mixed with every element EQed, balanced and compressed perfectly.  He also wants the music to be as "loud" and as "big" as it can possibly be.  He will send back notes like "Orch Strgs are not compressed well".  I've gotten good at his reverb taste, but compression is not there yet....still trying.  Maybe Waves just has that "compression" sound and feel he is looking for.

Thanks again for the great responses! 

It sounds like he is critiquing your mixes too generally, what does he want different in the compression of the strings?  Faster attack?  More gain?  Color and response of a certain emulation?

Again, I do not care how golden his ears are, he can't tell one compressor from another based on what he is hearing in a full mix other than maybe opto behavior vs SS and that can still be replicated with Cake tools.  (CA-2A sounds fantastic)  Compressor BEHAVIOR is a matter of standard settings (attack, release, ratio and gain), color and response is a matter of type more so than brand.

Nothing lacking in the Waves plugs, but there is nothing about the std dynamic and eq processors that is head and shoulders above even the stock Platinum tools.
fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/12/01 06:47:27 (permalink)
Perhaps you can acquire a few samples of the clients product that closely align with or resemble your genre and use these as references against your mixes listening critically not only to overall sound quality, level, etc. but also individual instruments - how they sound, how thery're processed, how they sit in the mix, etc.

While quality certainly matters, as others have stated, the "brand" of plugs you use should matter little unless your intentionally going for a particular sound that only a particular plug provides. I think Waves is kind of grandfathered in as the defacto plugin company similar to ProTools being the defacto DAW and we all know that neither of these are the only quality players in the game any more.
post edited by fwrend - 2015/12/01 07:14:08
NeoSoul
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/12/01 09:46:05 (permalink)
Now way he can "hear" Waves plugins in a mix.  I have a friend that works for Waves and he couldn't even do that.  

At least you didn't pay the "retail" prices, those are absurd. 

I own a number of their plugins, most never get used since the ones with Sonar X are solid.  I've also run into a number of free or dirt cheap plugins that I even prefer to Waves.  
Jimbo 88
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/12/01 09:53:53 (permalink)
Again, thank you all for the insight...greatly appreciated.

Cakewalk By Bandlab
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Behringer FCA 1616

Royal Yaksman
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 361
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/12/01 10:28:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/12/01 10:51:01
One thing to keep in mind is that some people these days are so used to hearing hard compressed and squashed sounds, that it becomes what they expect things to sound like. You might have to stop leaving all that pesky feeling in your mixes?

Royal Yaksman

HP Phoenix i7 3.9ghz 7600 - Roland Quad Capture - CbB - SD2 Metal Foundry/Roots Stix - NI Komplete 8 - Amplitube 3 & 4 - Addictive Drums 2 - Halion 6 - Izotope Musician Bundle - Waves Stuff - Melodyne Studio - AIR 3 - Revoice 3 - Sssshhhhh don't tell anyone but also Studio One 4 - Cubase 9.5 - Samplitude Pro X3 - FL Studio 20 - Mixbus 4 - Reaper 5 - And a big arsed pocket full of dreams (deceased or otherwise.)
NeoSoul
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: Help me out a little here with Waves Plug-ins... 2015/12/01 11:18:49 (permalink)
Royal Yaksman
One thing to keep in mind is that some people these days are so used to hearing hard compressed and squashed sounds, that it becomes what they expect things to sound like. You might have to stop leaving all that pesky feeling in your mixes?

There is way too much truth in this.  It is unfortunate what many people think sounds good, when it is really actually killing the sound quality and dynamic range appreciated by those of us with the gear to appreciate fine sound reproduction.  
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1