Jesse Screed
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1158
2015/11/22 17:04:36 (permalink)

Call Me What You Will

Hello Folks,

Have a listen to my new chart topper!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=13258483&q=hi

For those of you who observe Thanksgiving, I hope you have a great holiday.  For those of you who do not observe Thanksgiving, I hope all your wishes come true.

Jesse

14 Replies Related Threads

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/22 22:40:44 (permalink)
    Hey Jesse, welcome to the forum.
    This is a bit of a different song and I do indeed like it.  The beginning is very creative and I am a sucker for rhythm oriented songs.  The guitar accent notes, IMHO, really create a nice edge to this song.  The style reminds me a bit of the British group Slaves (the Slaves group with Vincent and Holman not the other one with the same name).

Nice one!!!
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/23 10:01:58 (permalink)
    Very interesting and different from what I've heard lately around here. But, where's the bass?

Also, everything sounds like it is panned right down the middle. Try spreading things out a bit.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/23 13:24:09 (permalink)
    I really like this Jesse. Sounds great (in it's lo-fi production) and it keeps your attention throughout. Good stuff
    Jesse Screed
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/23 20:35:48 (permalink)
    Hey, I never thought this many people would comment!

Mr. Fizzy Pickle, you know me better than anyone else.  LoFi be I, it's the swamp from my Pa, he was a country boy, he grew up running the creeks and sloughs of his boyhood haunt's.  Subtly, he infused that into me, sometimes with the switchin stick, and sometimes with a hand up. You can take the boy out of the LoFi, but you can't take the LoFi out of the boy.

Freddy, gal darn, I wish the best for you.

To that other cat, Mr. Martin?  You is so right.  I'm going to go and find that bass, and widen the whole darn thing.  You see, I heard your stuff,and read all you suggestions, and I respect what you offer.

Be back soon.

Right now I'm working on a song about hot buttered toast.

Jesse
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/23 20:50:21 (permalink)
    really cool groove and cadence with the vocals. Lo-fi sounding production but still a very enjoyable piece in my book. 

Me

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/24 04:07:47 (permalink)
    Hey, Jesse,

Very cool and interesting piece of experimental alternative rock, buddy!

I like how the intro with the clean guitar moves into the grungy guitar verse and synth stuff, it's really got a tight, driving groove to it.

I also checked out "Mobius Strip of Love" and "Sneak Out Tonight", pretty cool stuff with lots of interesting elements woven throughout, and a very unique vibe.  Love the opening synth in "Sneak Out Tonight".

Your style is kind of like a Garage Band/Alternative mash up meets Electronica fusion, similar to some of what Jack White has been experimenting with lately.

Good stuff, my friend, keep 'em coming!

Have a good one, Jesse!
    Bob
    Jesse Screed
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/24 21:41:54 (permalink)
    Well my lord, I am so excited to know that someone has listened to what I make.

I know what I do is different than what is normally posted on this site, but I don't know where else to go. My music mimics my real life. I'm one of those guys that folks aren't so sure about when they meet me. For those with an open mind, they find out that I'm not so bad; for those who live in the box, there is nothing I will ever do to have them listen closely.

I have never had a music lesson, or been learned in the recording arts, so what you hear is what you get.  I just like to let myself go. Best thing is,  ninety-eight percent of what I do is done with stock sonar stuff.  

I only wish I had enough time to listen to everyone's songs, there is so much talent around here, but my JAY OH BEE gets in the way, and I get tired, and I pass out at my keyboard before I can say what I truly think.

To Ohgrant, I am going to search for some of your creations.  I want to get to know you better.

Mr. Bob, guys like you have a good heart.  It takes a real man to take the time to share their thoughts, and you are a real man, and a real musician.

I'm still working on my buttered toast song.  I'll post it when I'm done.  I have remixed this one, but not sure if anyone wants to hear it again. I did however, want to acknowledge those of you who shared your response.

Peace

Jesse

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/25 03:37:01 (permalink)
    Hi Jesse, I'm getting used to your style now, and I like it. Love the drums and dirty guitar on this. Those atonal runs matched with the vocal are really creative. Who would say your influences were? Jacki White has been mentioned, and Eels certainly comes to mind..Beck maybe?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/25 10:07:38 (permalink)
    I'd say vocals up a hair, and yes please get a bass guitar in there.

If you need a band name, may I suggest Professor Quirk?

What you are doing defines the intersection of originality, innovation, and DIY. Bravo!

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Jesse Screed
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/25 19:02:26 (permalink)
    Hey, this is real great.  Like all of you, I love it when someone listens to something I have done.

I'm happy that you are getting use to my style Mr. Nettlesmith. To keep it brief, I wish I could tell you who were my influences were.  I have never heard of Jack White.  I saw a documentary on Eels Father, he was some kind of nuclear physicist or something.  I know that Beck is the guy that Kanye West insulted at some music awards show.

I always wanted to be a great player, but I couldn't get there, I always wanted to be a great singer, but that couldn't happen.  So now I guess I labor on in isolation, and although I thought my music was a similar to the next persons, I am realizing that this isolation has rendered me a variant.

I do what I can, and this is what it is.  The funny thing is, where I live, folks have intimated the same things about my personality as some of you have mentioned about my music, and I am down with that, because I can only be me...imperfect and pure, like you too.

Thanks fellas, for all the listens.  I love it, and I love getting to know all of you.

Very Thankful am I

Jesse
    kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/29 14:48:10 (permalink)
    I totally dig that guitar tone, just fantastic. What did you use to get that? Yes, bass would add a huge dimension to the song but it's pretty damned good as it is. Also agree with the comment on bring some of the vocals up a bit. Good work!

Kevin Walsh
    My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
    256GB SSD, 2TB HD
    Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
    MOTU 8Pre Interface
    Jesse Screed
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/11/30 20:35:24 (permalink)
    Hello fellas, just a shout out for giving me another chance.  That guitar was played by a buddy named Piney, he sent it and I chopped it up in Audition and then put back in sonar.  I think he used th2 and then I used GR4, but it is not clear right now.

I love the point to bring up vocals.  Will do.

Get on with it!

Jesse
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/12/04 14:32:13 (permalink)
    Weird...   in a good way.   

The lines weaving and out are just so random.  A nod to They Might Be Giants, I think. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Call Me What You Will 2015/12/04 16:53:06 (permalink)
    Hey Jesse,
    I'll second what stevec said.  weird...in a good way!

it's definitely different! 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1