Helpful ReplyPlatinum subscription ending in December

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
BMOG
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
2015/12/01 09:10:18 (permalink)

Platinum subscription ending in December

I am struggling to find a reason to pay for another year of subscriptions. I plan to upgrade to Kingston tonight so what would I really be missing out on if I don't re-up? Price just does not seem worth it to me your thoughts?
KingsMix
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 09:30:57 (permalink)
To answer your question about what you will be missing:
Updates, bug fixes and new features.

So an option is (since "you" are not seeing the benefit, price wise at the moment) to just hang out with what you have until a new rolling update with features that are enticing to "you" comes along and then possibly re-up.

Many of us have skipped versions. It's basically the same concept of skipping a version or two IMHO.

Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 09:32:41 (permalink)
I'll probably hold out until cake really drills down and focuses into finishing existing functionality.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/12/01 09:44:10

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
BMOG
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 10:07:36 (permalink)
You should at least be able to get bug fixes without an active subscription
BMOG
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 10:10:01 (permalink)
Also paying in the ball park $150 a year continually what other DAWs are doing that? I have been with this software since cakewalk and I did not mind paying for major upgrades to the X series but this add a piece here and their for a fee is not really working for me.
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 10:24:22 (permalink)
BMOG
I am struggling to find a reason to pay for another year of subscriptions. I plan to upgrade to Kingston tonight so what would I really be missing out on if I don't re-up?

Fixes to bugs in Kingston ?

Cakewalk has a tendency to release updates that aren't fully tested, so you always have to get the next update to fix the new bugs that were introduced in the last one.  Rolling back just brings you to previously unfixed bugs.

post edited by Paul P - 2015/12/01 10:41:28

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Anonymungus!
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 10:28:26 (permalink)
You should at least be able to get bug fixes without an active subscription

I'll have to agree with this!

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

Mojo3432
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 219
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 10:30:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby charlyg 2015/12/01 10:50:33
I have also been with Cakewalk since the beginning.  I have never purchased, used or desired any other DAW.
It's come a long way and they are doing an outstanding job with this new model.  I am one of those customers who will be more than pleased to renew my subscription because I DO see a great value in it.

Conversely, BMOG, if you don't see any benefit to renewing and are happy with all of the tools presently at your disposal - then not renewing probably makes perfect sense for you.  And the beauty is that you will still be able to use your current version to it's fullest without losing anything other than future updates.

CUSTOM AUDIO PC:
  • Intel Core i7 4770K CPU, ASUS Z87 PRO Motherboard, 32GB RAM
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Edition Running Sonar Platinum
  • Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 Interface, Focusrite ISA Two Premp and Blue Robbie - Mic Preamp
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 10:34:51 (permalink)
KingsMix
To answer your question about what you will be missing:
Updates, bug fixes and new features.

there's also bound to be some bundled 3rd party stuff, and content by mr anderton - so you need to ask yourself - is it worth your $150? well, is it?

just a sec

BMOG
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 10:43:22 (permalink)
Mojo3432
I have also been with Cakewalk since the beginning.  I have never purchased, used or desired any other DAW.
It's come a long way and they are doing an outstanding job with this new model.  I am one of those customers who will be more than pleased to renew my subscription because I DO see a great value in it.

Conversely, BMOG, if you don't see any benefit to renewing and are happy with all of the tools presently at your disposal - then not renewing probably makes perfect sense for you.  And the beauty is that you will still be able to use your current version to it's fullest without losing anything other than future updates.

$150 times forever adds up over time don't you think? So we are paying for fixes to bugs they created and they throw us a good plugin every blue moon and we should swoon over paying $150 for that?  Hmmm....
charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 10:52:41 (permalink)
Compare it to the old cost, don't just make stuff up..

BMOG
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 10:55:19 (permalink)
charlyg
Compare it to the old cost, don't just make stuff up..

I don't understand your comment compare to old cost can you explain more please? 
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 10:59:45 (permalink)
what "old cost"? the $ amount is the same, but the delivery timings have changed - now you're paying for a period of time (12 months, and whatever that gives you), versus the old way of paying for a "major version" with an unknown number of "minor version" updates following within the succeeding 12-18 months...

there's currently nothing "up next" apart from style dials and "optimisations" - i wonder what new features will be added? marketing, hello?

just a sec

Mojo3432
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 11:02:46 (permalink)
BMOG

$150 times forever adds up over time don't you think? So we are paying for fixes to bugs they created and they throw us a good plugin every blue moon and we should swoon over paying $150 for that?  Hmmm....

I guess I don't fully understand your issue here.  No one is FORCING you to renew.  If renewing isn't right for you....then don't do it.  But please don't attack others because they feel it's right for them.  It's a simple choice.

CUSTOM AUDIO PC:
  • Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 Interface, Focusrite ISA Two Premp and Blue Robbie - Mic Preamp
BMOG
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 11:20:47 (permalink)
Mojo3432
BMOG

I guess I don't fully understand your issue here.  No one is FORCING you to renew.  If renewing isn't right for you....then don't do it.  But please don't attack others because they feel it's right for them.  It's a simple choice.

That sounds like an attack to you? I guess when reading other words we add emotion to them but for the record I was not attacking him just making a statement

charlyg
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 11:24:04 (permalink)
blue moon and swoon are not usually parts of "just making a statement"....

BMOG
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 11:33:29 (permalink)
charlyg
blue moon and swoon are not usually parts of "just making a statement"....

I believe you are a tad bit sensitive today and I believe your comments of "Compare it to the old cost, don't just make stuff up.." sounds more like an attack than what I said but I am a person who believes in freedom of expression your thoughts are your thoughts just like my thoughts are my thoughts.  Look at your comments compared to everyone else who has chimmed in I am just sayin.... you seem bitter why? Does my choice impact you in some kind of way?

kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 11:34:03 (permalink)
To me it makes sense to compare the features and timing between X1 and X2, then X2 and X3 and then look at the upgrade pricing for those new versions. I came to the conclusion that the new model is pretty much in line with the previous way of shipping a new version every year or so. So for me, cost-wise nothing has changed much, give or take a few bucks on the renewal price.

What has changed is the regularity and frequency of fixes and the scope of new features and content that have been and will no doubt continue to be shipped. In terms of features, I think Cakewalk has exceeded whatever bar they may have set for themselves in new functionality, and personally I'm impressed as hell with what they've accomplished.

As for bugs, I don't recall any product of Cakewalk's that received twelve fix updates in a year before they shipped a new version, does anybody else? It would be great to see some stats on the number of bugs fixed this year so far. I'd guess the numbers are higher than the typical numbers in the old model. And unlike in the old model, the fixes will just keep coming and they won't ever stop.

So yeah, to me, renewal is a no-brainer.

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
BMOG
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 11:42:42 (permalink)
kevinwal
To me it makes sense to compare the features and timing between X1 and X2, then X2 and X3 and then look at the upgrade pricing for those new versions. I came to the conclusion that the new model is pretty much in line with the previous way of shipping a new version every year or so. So for me, cost-wise nothing has changed much, give or take a few bucks on the renewal price.

What has changed is the regularity and frequency of fixes and the scope of new features and content that have been and will no doubt continue to be shipped. In terms of features, I think Cakewalk has exceeded whatever bar they may have set for themselves in new functionality, and personally I'm impressed as hell with what they've accomplished.

As for bugs, I don't recall any product of Cakewalk's that received twelve fix updates in a year before they shipped a new version, does anybody else? It would be great to see some stats on the number of bugs fixed this year so far. I'd guess the numbers are higher than the typical numbers in the old model. And unlike in the old model, the fixes will just keep coming and they won't ever stop.

So yeah, to me, renewal is a no-brainer.

Great points but X3 was solid and I had no complaints , by far my favorite features in platinum are quad curve with the frequency being visible, vocal sync and comping because I record drums live.  If they never made another enhancement what we have now is more than efficient in my opinion. I guess the real question how much better can it be?  Allowing a Mac version maybe?  If we had a version for Mac I think we can get in the conversation with ProTools because of the solid performance Mac machines provides

kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 11:50:38 (permalink)
BMOG

Great points but X3 was solid and I had no complaints , by far my favorite features in platinum are quad curve with the frequency being visible, vocal sync and comping because I record drums live.  If they never made another enhancement what we have now is more than efficient in my opinion. I guess the real question how much better can it be?  Allowing a Mac version maybe?  If we had a version for Mac I think we can get in the conversation with ProTools because of the solid performance Mac machines provides

I'd rather seen Windows improve to the point where people are saying, "Mac? What's the point?" lol

I know MS is making some big investments in their audio stack in Windows 10, so maybe we'll see that reflected in Sonar pretty soon, yeah? MS is saying they're already getting pretty much ASIO performance out of WDM drivers now and are coming up and with other fixes and changes in the audio architecture so I am hopeful.

The point is, I'd rather Cakewalk focus its resources on music production functionality and not on getting everything to work on competing OS's.

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
BMOG
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 12:02:47 (permalink)
kevinwal
BMOG

I'd rather seen Windows improve to the point where people are saying, "Mac? What's the point?" lol

I know MS is making some big investments in their audio stack in Windows 10, so maybe we'll see that reflected in Sonar pretty soon, yeah? MS is saying they're already getting pretty much ASIO performance out of WDM drivers now and are coming up and with other fixes and changes in the audio architecture so I am hopeful.

The point is, I'd rather Cakewalk focus its resources on music production functionality and not on getting everything to work on competing OS's.

Valid points again if MS could improve Windows to equal Mac performance that would be sweet.  I hope they are reading this thread for those enhancements
charlyg
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 12:22:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ham N Egz 2015/12/01 14:25:01
I am not bitter, I am just a little annoyed at folks who just come here to complain, seemingly.

musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 12:28:15 (permalink)
BMOG
Mojo3432

Everyone would agree that any repeated investment of anything adds up... Burgers, coffee, software, on and on. But ~$130-$150 a year for what Cake offers is a bargain.  I've gladly upgraded every time one has been available since Sonar 3. It's part of my yearly music budget. In the grand scheme of things, I usually spend way more for software and hardware each year for items that only do one or two things well.

And the good news is, many of the previous versions still work on present day OS. So no one has to upgrade! Whether we do or not--- it's a non-event.

Dave
Songs

Mojo3432
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 12:43:51 (permalink)
musicroom
Everyone would agree that any repeated investment of anything adds up... Burgers, coffee, software, on and on. But ~$130-$150 a year for what Cake offers is a bargain.  

+1.    At a breakdown of $12.50 per month, I'd like to know what else one could invest in on a monthly or annual basis that would provide such a return?

CUSTOM AUDIO PC:
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 13:04:42 (permalink)
1) why the thread mention "December"? If someone stop the membership in December, than it was real "subscription" since it is less then 12 month membership. And so he/she can no longer use Sonar 2015.

2) till that is really time for the new period (still 2 months!), I am sure we see "Whats next".

3) writing "$150 a year is a bargain" on International forum is incorrect. For someone $50k car is a bargain, for other $200 for an audio interface is too expensive.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
sven450
  • Total Posts : 945
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 13:46:07 (permalink)
For me it is easy:  Sonar is the only DAW I use, therefore I am more than willing to pay for regular upgrades and updates.  I only use a small portion of the "new content", but I still consider it a reasonable yearly expense. And I must admit I do look forward to monthy updates, optimizations and random add-ons and bonuses.  

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 14:03:37 (permalink)
azslow3

3) writing "$150 a year is a bargain" on International forum is incorrect. For someone $50k car is a bargain, for other $200 for an audio interface is too expensive.

Apologies for the generalization. I was thinking in a context of premium software / studio operation is usually accompanied with some costs. I am one that operates with a budget that have seen times where spending stopped for anything not necessary. There were a couple of upgrades that I delayed in the purchase since I knew I didn't have to have it to continue production. I just wanted the upgrade for various reasons (new tools/workflow). I still stand with my determination that when I did upgrade, I was not going to be paying too much for the product. I still considered it a bargain.

All the best!

Dave
Songs

pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 14:21:20 (permalink)
I also see it as $12.50 a month,  that allows me lots of fun and tools, to both enjoy and accomplish my goals. That plus $8.25/month for Groove 3 are the 2 basic "gotta haves" for me each year(and guitar strings!).

I really like that it supports all kinds of "similar interests" types, like me, too.
Michael 
BMOG
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 15:10:56 (permalink)
azslow3
1) why the thread mention "December"? If someone stop the membership in December, than it was real "subscription" since it is less then 12 month membership. And so he/she can no longer use Sonar 2015.

2) till that is really time for the new period (still 2 months!), I am sure we see "Whats next".

I mentioned December because my subscription was purchase on Christmas Day
BMOG
Re: Platinum subscription ending in December 2015/12/01 15:19:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mariogag 2015/12/02 20:48:53
Mojo3432
musicroom
Everyone would agree that any repeated investment of anything adds up... Burgers, coffee, software, on and on. But ~$130-$150 a year for what Cake offers is a bargain.  

+1.    At a breakdown of $12.50 per month, I'd like to know what else one could invest in on a monthly or annual basis that would provide such a return?

When you make reference to a return what are you referring to? At the core the DAW is solid, as I mentioned X3 was solid no complaints for base recording. Also to add I have purchased every update from cakewalk to all of the X's to Platinum so I have been dedicated user since I started. At this point with Platinum what more can be improved is my thought process. I feel I have spent more than my fair share of money with this product, give my an option for fixes and I am good. All my opinion
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1