Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6

Author
Dave Dykema
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2015/11/22 18:01:39 (permalink)

Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6

Music Creator 6 does not have an alto sax (that I've found). Only tenor. I found DSK SaxophoneZ online and downloaded it where it current resides in a folder on my computer.

Anyone know how to import it into the Cakewalk Sound Center under Sax?

11 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6 2015/11/22 18:11:23 (permalink)
    From what I can tell, this is a VST plug-in and not a collection of sounds. Either way, it will not be usable in Cakewalk Sound Center. The only way to extend the Cakewalk Sound Center is by purchasing expansion packs designed for it.

Put the "DSK SaxophoneZ.dll" in your VST scan path and make sure the VST scanner is run afterwards to pickup the new plug-in. Your scan path is displayed in Preferences > File > VST Settings.
    Dave Dykema
    Re: Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6 2015/11/22 18:55:36 (permalink)
    Anyone know of a cheap way to get an alto sax then?

Thanks for replying.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6 2015/11/22 19:19:32 (permalink)
    Did you try installing the plug-in? It may be all you need.
    TTS-1 has an alto sax preset.
    I looked in the CSC Orchestral Winds Brass and Percussion on sale for $15 in the CW store it has a bunch of woodwinds but no saxes.

You might want to post in software below. If you do post there consider providing a target budget and style of music the sax will play.

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6 2015/11/22 22:41:19 (permalink)
    Dave Dykema
    Anyone know of a cheap way to get an alto sax then?

Thanks for replying.

It does seem to be a VSTi, so just set it up to be scanned as scook wrote and try it out.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Dave Dykema
    Re: Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6 2015/11/22 23:36:48 (permalink)
    Thanks, but I couldn't figure out how to put it in the scan path.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6 2015/11/23 09:06:01 (permalink)
    Open the Plug-in Manager. Click VST Configuration>Options, then Add. Navigate to the file location, click it (or double-click). Run the VST scanner. 

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6 2015/11/23 11:44:10 (permalink)
    Unzip the DSK_SaxophoneZ.zip
    Copy the "DSK SaxophoneZ.dll" into a folder in Preferences > File > VST Settings "VST Scan Folder(s)," the item in the red box below. The actual path(s) may be different.
    After copying the dll into the scan path click the "Scan VST folder" button, the button with the red arrow below

Dave Dykema
    Re: Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6 2015/11/30 20:28:32 (permalink)
    Sorry for getting back to so late. With Thanksgiving and other things I was busy.

When I tried to copy  "DSK SaxophoneZ.dll" into a folder in Preferences > File > VST Settings "VST Scan Folder(s)," it wouldn't even show up as a choice. Which leads me to believe Cakewalk won't support it.

I do appreciate the help though.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6 2015/12/01 12:08:09 (permalink)
    Dave Dykema
    Sorry for getting back to so late. With Thanksgiving and other things I was busy.

When I tried to copy  "DSK SaxophoneZ.dll" into a folder in Preferences > File > VST Settings "VST Scan Folder(s)," it wouldn't even show up as a choice. Which leads me to believe Cakewalk won't support it.

I do appreciate the help though.

did you run the VST scanner after copying the file there?
    or, if you haven't changed your default scanner preferences, then just close MC and reopen it and it will scan during opening.  then look for the choice.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6 2015/12/01 21:38:36 (permalink)
    I always like to download files to the desktop so they are easy to find and I can see what I need to do with them.  The file, DSK_Saxaphone, is archived as a zip file so the file must be decompressed.  Once it is decompressed you'll end up with a folder that has the same name as the file, DSK_Saxaphone.  Inside the folder is the saxaphone file which will have a name sort of like "DSK_Saxaphone.dll".  That's the file that is the saxaphone instrument.

So after you download the file, right click on the file and select the option that has the same name as the file.  You should see a folder get created.  Double lick on the folder and you'll see the file or files inside the folder.  One of the files should have a saxaphone related name and end with (.dll).  That is the saxaphone sound.  We'll comeback to this file in a moment.

Use your browser to find where your VST folder is located.  The default is as a Cakewalk sub folder.  Take a look at the screenshot a few postings before this one.

Copy the DSK_Saxaphone folder from wherever you put it (the desktop in my case) then paste it inside the VST sub folder.  You should end up with a path similar to C:/program files/Cakewalk/VST/DSK_Saxaphone.

Now rescan your VST folder as instructed above.

You should be able to use the Music Creator media browser to find the saxaphone sound.
    post edited by jimfogle - 2015/12/01 21:50:39

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Importing an instrument into Music Creator 6 2015/12/08 07:44:12 (permalink)
    Also.... if the VST is a third party it's possible that it will not run. In my time I had DL'd a few third party "free" synths that did not run.... or let's put it this way...I couldn't get them to run.

Another option that I found useful was to get the SFZ synth and look for a few sax samples on the "soundfont" format.  I used SFZ and fonts for quite some time with good success. I stopped using fonts and sfz because there were...if I recall correctly, two major formats of the fonts and unzipping them correctly was a PITA. They sounded good when it was done properly and they played flawlessly in my DAW.  (MC4 at the time)

Midi sax is hard to articulate properly so that it sounds natural and real. Especially if it's a solo.  THis is a song I composed back in 2009 which features a sax among other instruments..... it is a Real Track sax from PG music.  http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8255563  It is how I do such kinds of tracks. Since I don't play horns, when I need one, PG to the rescue.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1