VS-700C as USB device in Windows 10

Author
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
2015/12/11 00:14:14 (permalink)

VS-700C as USB device in Windows 10

Has anyone tried to install just the VS-700C in Windows 10 as a USB device, without the V700R? I've temporarily removed the VS-700R from my system, as I'm trying to isolate what is causing system lock-ups. I've swapped in an older soundcard (an old ESI Juli@ I had hanging around), and I'm trying to get the vs700c_w81dv201 driver to work under Windows 10 as a control surface.

But it won't install. I've tried hacking the inf, and turning off driver signing, etc. But the driver starts to install, then says "cannot complete installation" and backs itself out.

I looked through the threads for Windows 10 installation tips, but most of them seem to be about installing the VS-700R and VS-700C together, rather than the console on its own.

I'm using Windows 10 64 bit.

Thanks,

Rob
post edited by Amicus717 - 2015/12/11 00:25:52

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU

2 Replies Related Threads

Amicus717
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    Re: VS-700C as USB device in Windows 10 2015/12/11 19:59:14 (permalink)
    Update: success! Got it working, thanks to the advice in the "Ultimate Guide to installing Roland Drivers" forum posting.

1) I installed the driver by clicking on Setup in the 64 bit folder for the driver package, it launched, said installation failed and it must be uninstalled. But when the "Do you want to uninstall the driver?" box came up, I just closed it without actually uninstalling. Checked the system, and the console was now showing up as "VS-700C" under Device Manager, although the computer didn't know what device to classify it as. Still, this was progress -- previously, the computer was identifying it as a UM-1.

2) I went into the folder with the 64 bit driver, and in the Files folder, I right clicked on the "RDIF1088" Setup information file. Chose "Install" from the context menu. I had previously disabled driver signature enforcement through the start-up menu, and so Windows now gave me its slightly panicked "Are you sure you want to install this driver, it could be eeeevil" message, and I said yes.

3) And presto! Done.

Launched Sonar Platinum, and found the console appearing in the Devices section under Preferences, made sure it was selected and set as the control surface. Tested it and everything is working fine.

Some notes:

1) When I first tried to install the driver file directly from the context menu, I was told by Windows "The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering." I had to restart, disable driver signature enforcement from the "Change Advanced Start-Up Settings" found on the start-up screen. For whatever reason, the BCEDIT method didn't seem to do it.

2) I did open the RDIF1088 file and make the usual replacements, by inserting NTamd64.10 where appropriate.

It's all working. Thanks to all the folks who have posted on this topic. Between the many informative posts and my own tinkering, I managed to get it going. I hope others find my experience helpful.

Rob
    post edited by Amicus717 - 2015/12/11 20:11:22

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
    JYEStudio
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: VS-700C as USB device in Windows 10 2015/12/14 15:44:33 (permalink)
    Thanks! I was really, really bummed because I got a V-Studio 700 recently at an amazing price, and because of that I decided and got a brand new computer with Windows 10, to find the hardway that Roland decided not to provide drivers to Windows 10. With this information and your reference to the other forum I was able to install the drivers of my V-Studio 700 on Windows 10. Now I have an awesome studio setting!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1