Dimension pro real-time midi control

Author
yummay
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 396
2015/12/29 15:18:14 (permalink)

Dimension pro real-time midi control

Hello Sonarites!

I'm a newbe regarding real-time soft synth control using a control surface (AKAI MKP MINI)... even though I have been using automation lanes and the mouse a lot over the years.

I have a couple of questions regarding Dimension Pro:

1- Is there some kind of midi implementation chart available somewhere? I have been looking at the DOC and RTF help files provided with it... found nothing of interest.

2- What are the "default" CC config for Dimension Pro's parameters?

I'm asking because I am sometimes getting weird behaviors with Dimension. Currently, the MKP mini's 8 rotary encoders are assigned from CC1 through CC8 (according to its editor application). All MIDI data seems to be going through channel 1.

Afterwards, when experimenting with the synth's MIDI LEARN function to control some of dimension's parameters like drive of decimator knobs, I can see that my rotaries are impacting other parameter that I did not specifically configured.

Examples.

Encoder 6 or 7 seems to have an impact on dimension's MAIN OUT. Output signal is just interrupted. I cannot tell if I have impacted the main volume parameter (or other MUTE/SOLO-like control) or something else on the GLOBAL layer (or on any of the 4 ELEMENTS layer either...) One "MUTED" like this, I am not able to un-mute Dimension. Even weirder is that when I am launching another instance of the synth (or close / re-open the project... without saving ) I cannot correct the problem... I'm scratching my head.

Looks like I need some kind of "in a nutshell" documentation to get going. Can any of you share some light on this? I am doing something waaaayyyyy wrong here, but I have not found what yet.

Thanks.

Yummay,
Amuses-gueules sonores
Bite-sized sounds and harmonic entrées

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.

2 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Dimension pro real-time midi control 2015/12/29 15:53:38 (permalink)
    If you do not have the DPro help file, download it it from here http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013200/Dimension-Pro-1-5-Help-files#

From the MIDI Learn section of the help file:

The following controllers are hard-wired:
    CC7 = Volume
    CC11 = Expression
    CC64 = Sustain (can be enabled/disabled per-element using display control)
    CC66 = Sostenuto (can be enabled/disabled per-element using display control)
    CC73 = Global Amplitude Attack
    CC72 = Global Amplitude Release

yummay
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re: Dimension pro real-time midi control 2015/12/29 18:50:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link. Also, i've messed around recording the midi data sent by the mk2 mini. Using the staff view I could take note of the controllers assignement on the control layers ... These are general midi I think. Indeed, cc 7 is volume, but it does not seem to impact any of the synth's volume knob, but still volume gets affected without any GUI feedback that I could notice. Also, it seems that I am one of the few people for who the mk2 mini's software editor is not working properly on W10... might be caused by my USB hub maybe... If only I could succeed in assigning CC's 20 to 28 it could solve my little problems...

Yummay,
    Amuses-gueules sonores
    Bite-sized sounds and harmonic entrées

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1